2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What are your biggest pet peeves on the golf course?

Mike116

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ball marks and PAINFULLY slow play. If you don't play well, fine. But know when to pick up and keep moving!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I don't like slow play. Golfers who play from the back tees, when they can barely reach the fairway with they're tee shot. Also golfers who remove the ball from the cup with their putter blade. The last group, I offer to remove the ball from the cup for them. Rather than see them ruin the rim of the hole. What are your pet peeves on the course?

People who play like they're in the final group at the US Open. I don't give a f*** whether you make a hole in one or a quintuple bogey. Just do it fast.

Here's one for you people who insist on putting it out no matter who gives you the gimme or how far it is.

One of my peeves is the person who insists on putting out everything, even those six inchers because they stomp all around the hole and ruin the green for everyone putting behind them. And do not say "that's not me". I seldom play with anyone who checks the other lines and thru lines before they tap in. Those people are giving you the gimmies for a reason. And then sometimes the person then misses the tap in and quickly rakes the ball back like it didn't count.

People who leave their bags or golf cart on the wrong side of the green while putting out causing them to take LONGER to clear the green.

This bugs me to no end!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Here's one for you people who insist on putting it out no matter who gives you the gimme or how far it is.

One of my peeves is the person who insists on putting out everything, even those six inchers because they stomp all around the hole and ruin the green for everyone putting behind them. And do not say "that's not me". I seldom play with anyone who checks the other lines and thru lines before they tap in. Those people are giving you the gimmies for a reason. And then sometimes the person then misses the tap in and quickly rakes the ball back like it didn't count.

I putt EVERYTHING out. If you don't you're doing yourself a disservice if you ever need to make one for something meaningful. Don't hate on someone who plays by the rules.

I hat slow play.

1. I hate gimmies and mulligans, especially gimmies bcuz good golfers usually know mulligans are certaintly uncalled for.

2. I hate when people take "preffered lies" in the rough. you can SIGNIFICANTLY alter your score by nudging your ball to a good lie in the rough.

3. I cant stand it when people SIGNIFICANTLY lie about their handicap. For example, I played some kid in a interclub match who claimed to be scratch. I am like a decent golfer 10-14 over par depending on how hard the course is, and i was beating this kid at his home course through 6 holes even tho i had never seen the course before. we eventually evened off to split a nine hole match play duel. scratch golfer.... try mid handicap

I putt EVERYTHING out. If you don't you're doing yourself a disservice if you ever need to make one for something meaningful. Don't hate on someone who plays by the rules.

Amen to that. If I took gimmes like some of the old boys at my club I'd be off about +5. Never mind 'inside the leather'; some of them play 'inside the length of the driver.'

That said, whether I make it or miss it, it doesn't take me all day and I've had a good look at it already when it's my turn to putt.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

Guys who scream obsenities at themselves every time they hit a shot that is less than perfect. Today I played with three guys who were decent players. Theres scores ranged from around 82-89. Obviously they hit their share of bad shots (snap hooks, moster slices, super-chunk). After EVERY SINGLE poor shot they were SCREAMING cuss words at themselves and calling themselves idots. After three holes I had really had enough and exscused myself and went back to the first tee. I played with two senior citizens who didn't break 120, but they were awesome and we had a great time.

It's not the putting out that is so bothersome. It's that the person stroking that six incher is not watching where his feet are. He/she never does the splits or the Camillo to make sure they do not step in other lines or thru lines. And then god forbid they miss the putt out. Because we have to see the violent rake back followed by the practice putt after the last in the group has putted out. Even though there is a group waiting in the fairway.

I do not like slow play, but the worst round (or at least first nine holes) I have ever played was last year.

Got the the course late and was paired with a threesome that were highly intoxicated. The course was full

so had to play the first nine out. At the turn I parked my butt on a bench and told the starter to place me

in another group. I looked up and two the drunks were passed out under a tree. Finally the local five oh came

and cleared the course of those that had been to the vineyard too many times. I am definitely not a fan of

playing with those that are intoxicated.

Guess it would be .

PWI = Playing While Intixicated

PWAI = Playing With Abilities Impaired (I can do this wihtout drinking alcohol)

PUI = Playing Under the Influence

- Ball marks being left unfixed

- Cell phones on the course

- People hitting to a green that I've just cleared, before we've gotten into the carts and driven away. Dude, if you're waiting on me, it's a slow day and we have nowhere to go. You can wait an extra 30 seconds while we get into the cart and let us clear out without taking the risk of tagging me with your missed shot.

When I miss the tap-in, I curse under my breath and line the next one up. And count both of them.

Like it or not, the "lumpy donut" causes misses. I had one miss last Saturday that broke six inches from a foot away and turned a (rare for me) GIR into a 3-putt bogey.

When I used to play with salespeople a lot of years ago, having them putt out everything put a fair amount of money in my pocket. A copy of the Rules of Golf in my bag put even more money there.

- People hitting to a green that I've just cleared, before we've gotten into the carts and driven away. Dude, if you're waiting on me, it's a slow day and we have nowhere to go. You can wait an extra 30 seconds while we get into the cart and let us clear out without taking the risk of tagging me with your missed shot.

+ infinity

The last time that happened, I was playing with a couple, and the man went back to the tee to confront them. Their first shot landed three feet past his wife. We had to restrain the guy. IMO, he was justifiably angry.

My golf pet peave is in line with slow play, but it just players who do not play "ready" golf. When your playing partner has hit his shot, have your club ready, and an idea of where you want ot hit the ball. If you have to play stay on the cart path golf, bring several clubs with you and do not go back over to the cart when groups are waiting behind. I stood on a tee once watching a guy go back to the cart (accross the fairway) twice.

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 10.5* set to 11.5* Fujikura Motore 60 Stiff 45"
FW: Callaway Steelhead XR 4+ 16* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff
FW: Callaway Steelhead XR Heavenwood 20.5* Aldila Tour Blue 70 Stiff or Hy: Callaway Apex 20* w/ Kuro Kage 80 Stiff

4-Hy: Ping G410 w/ Tour Stiff
Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-AW) Nippon Modus Stiff (+1")
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-4 (53* & 57*) DG Stiff (+1")
Putter: Scotty Cameron X-5 (36")
Stand Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow

Slow groups

being hit into

playing with people who can't stay cool

number 1 annoyance:

Cart battery dying

All of the above plus not having enough carts.

Never thought that would happen, but I'd had to wait for a cart one time since the course ran out. The cart dude was very apologetic and gracious about it and I had time, so it wasn't a big deal, just a minor annoyance. He gave me a cart with weak battery so I could go to the range and come back later for a full powered cart.

Slow play - just be ready to hit your shot when it's your turn...and if you're not ready, please just tell whoever is ready to go ahead!!

Speaking too soon - Please (unless you know for 100% sure it's going to be good, close, etc.) don't say, "good shot" or "great putt" in mid-air or mid-roll. There's nothing more frustrating than hearing someone say, "oh great shot" then 2 seconds later, you're plugged in the greenside bunker.

one hit wonders - losing a brand new, hit one time, ball.

losing a ball when it has no business being lost - i hate when i hit into an area that i've been 1,000 times, but for some unknown reason, just can't find my ball. i know it's not lost, but i just can't find it!!

Speaking too soon - Please (unless you know for 100% sure it's going to be good, close, etc.) don't say, "good shot" or "great putt" in mid-air or mid-roll. There's nothing more frustrating than hearing someone say, "oh great shot" then 2 seconds later, you're plugged in the greenside bunker.

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!! :cheesy:

"Oh, GREAT drive!"

Upon arriving at my ball

"Aw man, I didn't know OB was over here!"

"Well I did!" "That's why I yelled "GET DOWN" and threw the piss out of my 3 wood after the shot!"

Or how about this: They're saying, "GREAT SHOT!" as you're yelling, "GET DOWN!"

(Actually, I don't throw clubs but I thought it would make it a little more interesting if I added this.)

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!! :cheesy:

"Oh, GREAT drive!"

Upon arriving at my ball

"Aw man, I didn't know OB was over here!"

"Well I did!" "That's why I yelled "GET DOWN" and threw the piss out of my 3 wood after the shot!"

Or how about this: They're saying, "GREAT SHOT!" as you're yelling, "GET DOWN!"

(Actually, I don't throw clubs but I thought it would make it a little more interesting if I added this.)

LOL.

+1. There's nothing worse than sticking your ball in the weeds and your opponent saying:

"Oh, hard cheese old boy."

If only I had a gun - a belt-fed machine gun should do the trick.

A Vickers dear boy.

Or a bren gun if there isn't one handy.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

I'd also like to add, when the cart guy/girl comes driving up the fairway to serve us, while people are behind us waiting to tee off. I can never understand why they cannot wait for us at the next tee.

Driver - M2/KuroKage xstiff
3 wood - TS2 16.5/KuroKage xstiff
Hybrids - Titleist 918 3/4
Irons - Mizuno 223, Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges - Vokey SM8 - 51, 56, 60
Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club

• 1 month later...

No different than anyone else, But nothing bothers me more then being behind a slow group that is oblivious to the faster groups behind them, and in return do not let them play through. Also, it bothers me when I am playing behind a slow group and the group behind me plays into my group while we are waiting to hit our approach shots into the green.