2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

I am about to embark on a journey we should all take

abewley

in the next few months...
I am dropping 500 bucks on lessons to get me ready for the year.

seriously... take the spare change and go buy a pack of lessons... the more u buy the less it costs. Go once a week.. something like monday... then you can work on what you learned during the week.. use it on the weekends.. take notes of issue and address them monday/tuesday with the pro...

8-10 of those... and your set for the year. if you play money games.. you will make it back on earnings. ;)

Plus it will make the game so much more enjoyable.

Support your local PGA pro. He/she will become your best friend.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously... take the spare change and go buy a pack of lessons... the more u buy the less it costs. Go once a week.. something like monday... then you can work on what you learned during the week.. use it on the weekends.. take notes of issue and address them monday/tuesday with the pro...

8-10 of those... and your set for the year. if you play money games.. you will make it back on earnings. ;)

Personally, I think it's up to the indivdual golfer whether they say should take lessons or not. Let's also keep in mind that a bad lesson is worse than no lesson at all. And there are those people who would rather figure out their golf swing on their own. The bottom line is everybody has to find out on their own what works for them in terms of improving their game and what it takes to get there.

That's great, keep us posted on your progress ;)

How many sessions is that spare 5 bills going to get you?

I think this is a great idea. I definatley intend to take more lessons this year. It's the best way to improve your game.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

I personally think every golfer should take lessons, they are many styles out there and you just need to find the one who works for you, I started working with a local cpga (canada eh) pro this winter and he has taken my game miles, I have never been this exicted to start a season, I wish you the best of luck abewley in your future endeavours, keep us informed on your progress, if you go in there with an open mind and a willness to work hard with it your game will thank you down the road.

;)

I bit the bullet and spent 3 days in Orlando with Andrew Park at the Leadbetter academy. He's an excellent instructor and highly recommended. I'm totaly pleased with the results. Miracles don't happen overnight but I'm on the right track to a great swing now that I have the solid fundamentals laid out. Today I had my first session at the 'dome' since it's still freezing here in Michigan. I've never had a better practice session with such solid ball striking. Can't wait for warmer weather.

I agree that lessons aren't for everybody. I do think people just starting out should take a lesson or two to get them started on the right track. I took 2 lessons as a kid to get the correct set up, grip, etc. Then I have played for 15+ years and worked my way down to a 2 Handicap without ever taking another lesson. Now I am taking another lesson tomorrow so I can start to shave those last couple of strokes off. One thing to remember is I see a lot is people that take a bunch of lessons then they get robotic and they have a thousand different swing thoughts going on as they address the ball. Take a lesson, practice whats the pro tells you on the driving range until it is automatic, then take it on the course. You will have more fun that way.

I take pride in the fact that I've built my own swing. Sure, it may be a longer process, but there is no greater joy than tinkering with your swing to figure out what works and what doesn't. Haven't had a single lesson all 3 years I've played. By watching the golf channel, and reading many books and magazines, I've built a swing that's gotten me down to an 8 HC. This off-season I found out something minor I was doing wrong, fixed it, and now all my shots are so much more consistent. Can't wait to hit the links and see what I've got this year.

[sign here]

I completely agree and i also have a sucseuss story

i was like a 21 hanicap or something a year and ahalf ago. i was addicted to the game and wanted to get better(still do). so with alot of hard work and a lesson every month from the butch harmon school (greg labelle, hes a genious in my book) i have brought my hanicap from a 21 to a 3.8! and im very happy about it. i am still going and practicing my Word not allowed off. im a soph. in hs and iI want to get a scolarship to stanford and latter pursue a carere in golf.

Personally, I think it's up to the indivdual golfer whether they say should take lessons or not. Let's also keep in mind that a bad lesson is worse than no lesson at all. And there are those people who would rather figure out their golf swing on their own. The bottom line is everybody has to find out on their own what works for them in terms of improving their game and what it takes to get there.

..like Hogan said, "the answer is in the dirt."...i know that might not make sense at first but if you think about it what he meant will become clear. PGApro or not..i don't think that makes a difference. what matters is if the instructor knows what he is doing and teaching.

by the way...abewley...what kind of player are you? feel player? technical player? let me know. i will then give you a more detailed answer on what i think.

I completely agree and i also have a sucseuss story

I was like a 21 hanicap or something a year and ahalf ago. i was addicted to the game and wanted to get better(still do). so with alot of hard work and a lesson every month from the butch harmon school (greg labelle, hes a genious in my book) i have brought my hanicap from a 21 to a 3.8! and im very happy about it. i am still going and practicing my Word not allowed off. im a soph. in hs and iI want to get a scolarship to stanford and latter pursue a carere in golf.

That is very admirable. I was there a few years ago. Same spot....I was a 2 and playuing in HS. I wanted to go onto bigger and better things in the golf world and had never thought of a lesson. I went the next 2 years polaying to the exact same number and did not get any scholorships. I was a walk on at my university team and ever since getting a couple lessons during my first year I have dropped another 4 strokes to get to just under a +2.

I am not trying to say that you won't get better working on your swing by yourself....just remember the old cliche saying 2 heads are better than one!!

I did that very thing last summer. Did some research, found a very good teaching pro and stuck with it for 4-5 months and saw a significant improvement. I think everyone can benefit from a good instructor. Good being the key word. Even the best pros in the world have coaches etc. to help them improve. I was a solid single digit handicap before I started and the biggest thing I've seen is more consistency as well as knocking a few more shots off. I used to be a total believer in hitting more balls and figuring things out on my own. What I've found is that a good instructor can point something out on one lesson that may take months to figure out. I was also surprised at how many faults I had. One led to another, lol. Anyway the biggest thing about taking lessons is to stick with it over time and make the changes permanent.

500 will get me (10) 1 hour lessons...it is usually $1 a minute.. but the more u buy the less it costs.

i am a feel player that tends to get to0 technical...

when i took a lesson from my guy early fall, it was great. I never played better than after that lesson.. and it gradually fell apart as winter came on and not getting to play but 2-3 times a month.

I'm definitely gonna take lessons this month. I took a 5-year layoff from golf, and just started playing again this fall. I'm still good and long off the tee, but I frankly suck with my irons. I've forgotten everything I learned during my first set of lessons.

The real problem is, I don't know what's wrong with my swing. If a pro can tell me what I'm doing wrong, that's half the battle right there.

I just don't know who to choose. There are so many instructors, from Golf Galaxy pros to the local PGA pro down at the driving range, I'm a bit lost. Anyone know of a good online referenc that recommends PGA pros in a specific area?

abewley, let us know how you make out!

8-10 of those... and your set for the year. if you play money games.. you will make it back on earnings. :aggressive:

:kewlpics: worth it if youre the kinda guy who benefits from lessons and if theyre from a good pro