Kebo Valley Golf Club

Leeds1888

Bar Harbor, Maine
I saw someone asking about this course in another thread and since I have been a member here for over 30 years, I thought I would share my knowledge of this true American Classic.

Kebo, located in Bar Harbor, Maine is the 8th Oldest Golf Club in America, running continuously since 1888. Herbert Leeds was the original designer, completing Kebo a solid 8 years before the opening of his most famous work, Myopia Hunt Club. Originally 9 holes were built but some were eventually changed. In the mid 1920s a second 9 was added. Donald Ross is credited in some circles with work done at that time. Unfortunately the club has limited records as over the years 3 clubhouses have burned to the ground in fires.

The course is completely public. During high season you can play with a cart for about $100. Early and late in the year, about half that. There is no driving range but they do have a new, large putting green. Practice the tricky down hillers before your round. Trust me. The club has a full service bar with a decent menu. There is a large upstairs patio that overlooks the "infield", holes 1-4 and 18 that sit in the valley below.

Lets hit the course:

Hole 1: This is a par 4 that plays about 375, slightly uphill. The second shot after an easy of a drive as you'll get is important here as it is easy to put the ball in the wrong position. The green slopes heavily from front left to back right so anything left above the hole is trouble, especially when chipping. I'd try to explain how fast the greens are but people would just think I was exaggerating so I will just say they are quick.

Hole 2: Tough par 4. Plays 420 or so and it usually is into a strong wind. The drive is relatively easy here, wide fairway with little trouble flanking either side. The second shot has to be played over a false front that really comes into play with major trouble behind the green. Go long here and you are in serious trouble. Pretty flat green.

Hole 3: Short par 4 of about 320. Tough little hole that plays uphill. Very tiny green. OB on the left on the drive and then the real fun begins. There is a run-up to the green where you can play a bump and run if you are coming in from the left but anything coming in from the right is hitting into an elevated green that is very tough to hold. Long is dead here as well. Short is no picnic but you can pray for an up and down. God isn't helping you with any up and downs from behind the green. You pull it off, it will be the devil who comes looking for the payback.

Hole 4: You get here even par and you've done some work. This is a nice little par 3. Plays between 140 and 160. The green is surrounded by bunkers except in the very front. So short is the best miss here. Go beyond the back bunker and you are OB. The club built a new tee here that is only in play part of the time but it is spectacular. A great mountain view not seen from the original tee. No matter the tee, strategically it is the same hole.

Hole 5: First of the 2 par 5s. Tree lined on one side with moderate trouble on the other. Pretty wide driving area. Terrain of hole is like a camels back. Elevated tee, elevated landing area for the drive and then an elevated landing area for 2nd shot lay-ups. Tough hole to reach in 2 as second shot is blind to the green and there is a large pond/stream in front of the entire gree. Traditional play is lay up to top of hill and then wedge to the green below.

Hole 6: Uphill par 3 of 170 yards that plays like it is 200. This will be as uphill a par 3 as you will ever play. If this hole was played downhill, it would be mostly wedges. Uphill it is mostly metal woods. Don't go long here or you might be hitting a full wedge on your third. Holding this green on a chip from the rough behind the green is not possible and the ball can run all the way to the bottom of the hill. Hit a solid drive and your fine. Don't and a 5 is easy here, even for skilled players.

Hole 7: Nice little par 4. Plays about 300 yards, downhill but this isn't a grip it and rip it hole. The fairway is very small with a stream running down the entire left side of the fairway. There is literally no rough, just fairway and then water. The longer the drive, the more precise it has to be. The green here is flat compared to the others but very small. A conservative 4 beats the countless horror stories I could tell about this little hole. The architect is offering an easy 4 here but for many the reward of birdie is worth the 5 or worse they will usually take instead. Great hole in that regard.

Hole 8: One of two signature holes. This dogleg par 4 plays to about 400 yards. If the 13th at Augusta was a par 4 and didn't have water in front of the green, this hole is what it would look like, dead bodies and all. Just ask Gary McCord.

Hole 9: Par 3 that plays 185 or so. You essentially are hitting to an island green. A stream protects the front and left sides while a bogey at best bunker waits on the right. This green slopes severely from back to front so this is another hole where making par from behind the green isn't going to happen. If I was even par on my round and could walk to the 10th tee with a 4, I'd do it.

OK, back with the back 9 later. Getting late.

• Replies -1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic