Is it time to quit? What to do when the swing has gone?

Posted (edited)

2 years ago I was off 4 and shooting in the 70s. I’m now off 10 and shooting in the high 80s and 90s.my handicap would be higher if not for the limit they impose on handicap increases.

Ive persisted for 2 years trying to get it back but it alludes me and I’m thinking of walking away from the game I love.

ive tried a handful of lessons, new clubs, gears 3d, golf psychology books, but nothing sticks. I’ve had moments where I think it’s back but it lasts 2 rounds max and I’m back to slices, chunks, thins and 3 putts. 

i know results shouldn’t dictate enjoyment and that’s on me but I don’t think I will ever learn to love playing golf in the 90s and find it hard to accept that’s my level.

anyone been through this and come out the other side?

Edited by ironcat

• ironcat changed the title to Is it time to quit? What to do when the swing has gone?
19 minutes ago, ironcat said:

2 years ago I was off 4 and shooting in the 70s. I’m now off 10 and shooting in the high 80s and 90s.my handicap would be higher if not for the limit they impose on handicap increases.

Ive persisted for 2 years trying to get it back but it alludes me and I’m thinking of walking away from the game I love.

ive tried a handful of lessons, new clubs, gears 3d, golf psychology books, but nothing sticks. I’ve had moments where I think it’s back but it lasts 2 rounds max and I’m back to slices, chunks, thins and 3 putts. 

i know results shouldn’t dictate enjoyment and that’s on me but I don’t think I will ever learn to love playing golf in the 90s and find it hard to accept that’s my level.

How much and how are you practicing. Seems like you’re thinking too much instead of just reacting and playing golf. 

practice with purpose. Foot powder for impact and just work on that with the full swing. Playing to a 4 previously you know how to play golf. 

Clock drill for putting from 5’ is the only putting drill I do. Then get an eyeline chipping target and get it inside 3’ or 6’ depending on which one you get. Last option is take a break until you get the bug again and start from the beginning. Sometimes hitting the reset button is the best course of action. I have done this many times. 

WITB - 5/23/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 60G

4W: TSR2 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 70G

7W: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

4H: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H/62T - DG X100TI

Odyssey AI One Rossie S / TaylorMade TP Collection Juno

Ball : ProV1 for now not 100% commited to it though

I mean, this game is hard for a reason. I think you should cut back on practicing & getting in your head. Your handicap is proof that you play GOOD golf! Maybe play easier courses a little bit, try to enjoy yourself and focus on putting/short game instead. You know how to play good golf, so it's just mostly all in your head. You said sometimes it clicks and you're back, and sometimes you're back to slicing & 3 putts etc. I think focusing on putting practice for a bit, and only playing courses instead of range off the mats will help you kind of find your way back into loving the game again.

Driver- PING G425 Max 10.5° 

3 Wood- TAYLORMADE Qi10 Max 16° 
5 Wood- TAYLORMADE Qi10 Max 19° 
4 Hybrid- TAYLORMADE Stealth 2 Rescue 22° 

Irons- TAYLORMADE Stealth 2 5-PW, AW
Wedges- TITLEIST Vokey SM9 52°, 56°
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom 7.5 (2024)

Ball- TITLEIST Tour Soft

15 hours ago, ironcat said:

I quit for almost 8 years because of my game falling apart and my inability to separate having fun from the score I shot. I think the time away helped me be able to come back and just enjoy being outside and hanging out with other folks. I'm not suggesting quitting for that long, but if you haven't at least taken some sort of break it may be worth a shot. I don't shoot in the 70s now (haven't been back for that long), but I also don't get super frustrated playing anymore either.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

15 hours ago, Rosco1216 said:

Drink myself to death and then come back a brand new man.

But honestly, I had this happen one time. Injury that cause minor compensation, which turned into swing and contact issues within any club not off a tee, to completely in my head to basically full swing yips. I could drop 10 balls on the range and try hitting an easy PW to a flag at 100y and not hit a single one solid and at my target. Maybe got 2 inside 40-50’.  As + HC I all the sudden could not break 90 and resorted to pitching a mid iron from 80-100y in the fairway. 

I work on things constantly and practice swing at the house trying to fix things which was only discouraging me more. so I started thinking I would not pick up a club for a couple weeks and then maybe, just maybe, my body and brain will forget about last few weeks of complete $h!t show will naturally go back to the previous 25 years of being a good ball striker.  So that’s why I did, didn’t pick up a club for 2 weeks, and then on a Tuesday and Thursday before a Saturday/Sunday tournament all I did was hit about 30 balls those 2 days of full speed 9:00-3:00 swing with a towel under my armpits with an 8-9i. Then warming up before the tournaments that’s all I did as well, never hitting a full shot except a couple drivers off a tee.

Came back and shot 70-68 to win the club championship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Stop keeping score. Go out and hit some balls and just have fun. Separate your process (preshot routine and target visualization) from the shot outcome. 

Commit to the shot you want to hit, then accept the outcome. Laugh off the bad results and smile at the good ones. Once you can remove expectations from outcomes, your game will be back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

😀😐😡

On your scorecard, do not put numbers.  The above 3 emoji’s will tell you what you need to know.  Play 3 or 4 rounds like this, only recording an emoji for each hole.  After a couple days off, review the score cards.  This will be enough to let you know if you need to quit.  It is subjective of course, and that is why it works.

Edited by Yuck
  • Haha 1

I'm very much in the same boat.  Few years ago, I was playing at a 7-8 handicap consistently every week.  I was hitting balls a lot though so I think that has something to do with it.

Now....I am lucky to break 90 most rounds.  So frustrating standing over the ball and having zero idea where it will go that swing.  I still love the game though and am doing everything in my power to get it back but last fall was a tough one.  Was also thinking about quitting.

My biggest problem is my grip not feeling comfortable which makes me get stuck in the swing a lot and either A. flip my hands or B. hold it off which leads to big left and right misses.

IF I ever figure it out I'll let you know 😂

I would take a small break.  If you were a 4, then you understand the game.   Since I have no idea if you practice or a weekend warrior deal, then I can't make a judgment call.  But this statement below sums up my thoughts.

1 hour ago, lookylookitzadam said:

Laugh off the bad results and smile at the good ones. Once you can remove expectations from outcomes, your game will be back. 

• Like 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lookylookitzadam said:

Commit to the shot you want to hit, then accept the outcome. Laugh off the bad results and smile at the good ones. Once you can remove expectations from outcomes, your game will be back. 

This here is the best advice.

Currently 8.3, and my swing is an absolute hot mess. I'm hitting everything so thin and on the toe that I have no idea how far or which direction the ball will fly.

I'm also too lazy to go to the range, and I'd rather spend my money on other things than getting lessons.

I still play golf because I enjoy being outside and being with friends. If I get my game back, great; if not, who cares.

Edited by pseudoswede

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, ironcat said:

Yes, I was a high 70's / low 80's player for my teenage and younger adult life - very good ball striker but terrible chipper/putter and didn't really care that much to practice. I played like 10 times/year.  Then, about 4 years ago, I decided to start taking it seriously, got new clubs, started watching swing and short game videos, and started playing like 3 times/week.  I got soooo much worse.  Sometimes I'd do OK and shot mid 80's, but about half the time I was near 100.  It took me 2-3 years of working through this - some very miserable times, poor contact, even shanking issues over some stretches. Now, over this past year, I'm breaking 80 half the time and shooting low 80's the other half - shot my best round (1-under) twice and had several others come close.  

Here's what worked for me but might be terrible advice for others. (#9 might've been most impactful for me)

1. I sold the irons I was "fit" for (not a good fitting), that on paper might have fit my higher swing speed and quick transition and the fact that I thought I should be playing a more players head - very stiff shafts. I tried several different irons that were closer to what I grew up with until I found something that just felt made the game a little easier - maybe not super precise, but easier to hit and make decent contact - back to graphite shafts that were a little lighter and less boardy.  This helped get me back from awful to liveable, but wasn't the ultimate solution. 

2. I started purposely striking the ball slightly toe side on all irons (unless I was trying to hit a fade). I found that I got much more consistent contact and flight - I started hitting it pure and hitting a reliable draw.  

3. I started taking a slightly shorter backswing - I didn't lose any distance, but became more consistent, controlled, accurate.  Had to develop different feels on rhythm/sequence, but felt more in control of my club face and path. This started with shorter irons and wedges and worked its way to my mid and long irons.

4. I got re-fit for Driver - picked up 30 yards and got straighter - Also, started mostly hitting a fade, which I think became more controllable and also perhaps stopped leaking my driver swing into my iron swing - now they feel more separated, like two different swings.  

5. Dan Grieve videos for my chipping and pitching. Started with the one where he coaches Rick Shiels, then a lot more from there. And, one from Grant Horvat that was also helpful, but mostly Dan. Also started practicing this more.  But, the Dan-Grieve-instruction gave me the right things to practice.

6. Watched Brad Faxon coach Rick Sheils on putting.  I'm now a decent putter, and sometimes actually good, but the main thing is that I no longer consider myself terrible.  

7. I've gotten back to exercising and can feel the extra help in my swing. 

8. I know some days will be a struggle and am OK with that - I've also gotten a feel for when those days are more likely to happen and why - If it's the day after a workout and my body's a little tight/sore, or if I'm tired and haven't gotten enough sleep, I lower my expectations out there and know it'll probably be a day that I'm working on scrambling from trouble and grinding for pars. But, when I play later in the week, farther removed from my workout day(s), when I'm more rested and I'm not terribly distracted by other life-stuff, I typically play a lot better, and those struggle rounds help make the good rounds possible.

9. This video right here has probably helped more than anything.  I go back to it when I'm ever feeling off. Some YouTube instruction stuff is as likely to screw you up as help you - what one player needs to do might be the exact opposite of what another player needs to do, so YMMV.

10. Make all of this work for you (Dan Grieve, the above video, etc), I had to make it my own and not necessarily follow it to the letter 100%.  Ben Hogan's adage of finding it in the dirt will always be a big part of it. 

I would say, don't quit. Sure, take a break, but don't quit.  Like the rest of life, it builds character, humbles, reveals our flaws ... but it gives you a way to pursue goodness, to know yourself more (good and bad), to enhance relationships, to get outside and do something in nature.  Also, like so many things in life, it can be a good thing as long as it's not the ultimate thing. 

Edited by vamosjackets
  • Thanks 2

Driver: Taylormade Qi10LS, Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X. (Fit by Truespec North Georgia 2024)

3W: Taylormade Sim Max, Accra FX 2.0 200 M3. (Fit by Club Champion Atlanta 2019)

2I: Ping iCrossover, Fujikura Axiom 105X. (Self-fit 2024)

4I-PW: Callaway Rogue ST Pro, Fujikura Axiom 105X. (Self-fit 2023)

Wedges: 47, 51, 59 Edison Forged, Mitsubishi MMT 125 TX. (Self-fit 2021)

Putter: LAB Golf DF 2.1 (Self-fit 2022)

Ball: Chromesoft X (Fit by Ping's Ballnamic system).

Bag: MNML.

Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart.

Shoes: Asics Gel Kayano Ace.

Posted (edited)

If you do decide to quit, do it in a memorable way.  

Years ago there was a guy we will call “Bugsy”, because he was an exterminator.  He played a lot of golf and had a horrific temper.  On the 4th hole, a par 5 with a creek running down the right side, he hit a drive in to the creek, dropped, sliced a fairway wood into the creek, dropped and shanked a wedge into the creek.  He exploded into a fit of rage, and threw his entire set of clubs into the creek and stormed off of the course.  The 6th and seventh hole run along the same creek.  He was seen wading in the creek, fishing out his golf bag.  Some comments along the lines of we knew you can’t quit were said.  He unzipped his bag, took out his car keys, and threw the bag of clubs back in the creek.  At least for the next decade after that, he never touched a club.  I move away and am not in touch with folks from that club anymore, but I presume he never played again.   And 40 years later, I still remember his nickname.  He went out in style.

Edited by Yuck
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, vamosjackets said:

Yes, I was a high 70's / low 80's player for my teenage and younger adult life - very good ball striker but terrible chipper/putter and didn't really care that much to practice. I played like 10 times/year.  Then, about 4 years ago, I decided to start taking it seriously, got new clubs, started watching swing and short game videos, and started playing like 3 times/week.  I got soooo much worse.  Sometimes I'd do OK and shot mid 80's, but about half the time I was near 100.  It took me 2-3 years of working through this - some very miserable times, poor contact, even shanking issues over some stretches. Now, over this past year, I'm breaking 80 half the time and shooting low 80's the other half - shot my best round (1-under) twice and had several others come close.  

Here's what worked for me but might be terrible advice for others. (#9 might've been most impactful for me)

1. I sold the irons I was "fit" for (not a good fitting), that on paper might have fit my higher swing speed and quick transition and the fact that I thought I should be playing a more players head - very stiff shafts. I tried several different irons that were closer to what I grew up with until I found something that just felt made the game a little easier - maybe not super precise, but easier to hit and make decent contact - back to graphite shafts that were a little lighter and less boardy.  This helped get me back from awful to liveable, but wasn't the ultimate solution. 

2. I started purposely striking the ball slightly toe side on all irons (unless I was trying to hit a fade). I found that I got much more consistent contact and flight - I started hitting it pure and hitting a reliable draw.  

3. I started taking a slightly shorter backswing - I didn't lose any distance, but became more consistent, controlled, accurate.  Had to develop different feels on rhythm/sequence, but felt more in control of my club face and path. This started with shorter irons and wedges and worked its way to my mid and long irons.

4. I got re-fit for Driver - picked up 30 yards and got straighter - Also, started mostly hitting a fade, which I think became more controllable and also perhaps stopped leaking my driver swing into my iron swing - now they feel more separated, like two different swings.  

5. Dan Grieve videos for my chipping and pitching. Started with the one where he coaches Rick Shiels, then a lot more from there. And, one from Grant Horvat that was also helpful, but mostly Dan. Also started practicing this more.  But, the Dan-Grieve-instruction gave me the right things to practice.

6. Watched Brad Faxon coach Rick Sheils on putting.  I'm now a decent putter, and sometimes actually good, but the main thing is that I no longer consider myself terrible.  

7. I've gotten back to exercising and can feel the extra help in my swing. 

8. I know some days will be a struggle and am OK with that - I've also gotten a feel for when those days are more likely to happen and why - If it's the day after a workout and my body's a little tight/sore, or if I'm tired and haven't gotten enough sleep, I lower my expectations out there and know it'll probably be a day that I'm working on scrambling from trouble and grinding for pars. But, when I play later in the week, farther removed from my workout day(s), when I'm more rested and I'm not terribly distracted by other life-stuff, I typically play a lot better, and those struggle rounds help make the good rounds possible.

9. This video right here has probably helped more than anything.  I go back to it when I'm ever feeling off. Some YouTube instruction stuff is as likely to screw you up as help you - what one player needs to do might be the exact opposite of what another player needs to do, so YMMV.

10. Make all of this work for you (Dan Grieve, the above video, etc), I had to make it my own and not necessarily follow it to the letter 100%.  Ben Hogan's adage of finding it in the dirt will always be a big part of it. 

I would say, don't quit. Sure, take a break, but don't quit.  Like the rest of life, it builds character, humbles, reveals our flaws ... but it gives you a way to pursue goodness, to know yourself more (good and bad), to enhance relationships, to get outside and do something in nature.  Also, like so many things in life, it can be a good thing as long as it's not the ultimate thing. 

Needed to read this today - thanks a bunch man

• Like 1

Sounds like you keep doing the same things and expecting different results. 

Mix it up and change something. Could be things like posture, ball position, alignment, grip. Could be a swing thought. Could be only practicing punch shots for awhile. 

If you want different results you just have to change your practice and approach. 

I'm right there with you right now. Between changing my swing (for the better) and having the chipping yips I'm playing horribly. Occasionally I'll string together 5 pars in a row but for the most part my swing feels awful. Now I've learned that when I stop caring about where the ball goes and just focus on good contact I play better. I sometimes get so pissed off and let the last shot affect me or start having like 10 different swing thoughts that my game goes to s***. 

4 hours ago, Yuck said:

If you do decide to quit, do it in a memorable way.  

Years ago there was a guy we will call “Bugsy”, because he was an exterminator.  He played a lot of golf and had a horrific temper.  On the 4th hole, a par 5 with a creek running down the right side, he hit a drive in to the creek, dropped, sliced a fairway wood into the creek, dropped and shanked a wedge into the creek.  He exploded into a fit of rage, and threw his entire set of clubs into the creek and stormed off of the course.  The 6th and seventh hole run along the same creek.  He was seen wading in the creek, fishing out his golf bag.  Some comments along the lines of we knew you can’t quite were said.  He unzipped his bag, took out his car keys, and threw the bag of clubs back in the creek.  At least for the next decade after that, he never touched a club.  I move away and am not in touch with folks from that club anymore, but I presume he never played again.   And 40 years later, I still remember his nickname.  He went out in style.

Sometimes I feel like Bugsy but on the spot the “what am I gonna do next weekend?” thought puts me back on track. Plus fishing your clubs back OMG. 

Buy new clubs. It is the only way.

• Haha 1

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

I'd put the clubs in the closet for a month (or more.) Tough to do going into the summer, but think it helps when you hit a point like this. 

You'll come back with a new appreciation for the game not just your score, and your brain/body will probably go back to the pattern it knew for years rather than the one that popped up recently.

On 5/6/2024 at 12:57 PM, mukster said:

Buy new clubs. It is the WRX way.

Fixored 🍻

• Haha 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing