2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Does anyone know how to purchases wholesale golf equipment for a buisness.

Hey guys. I was wanting to start a small buisness that sold golf clubs. I am thinking of starting online (my own website). How much equipment do you have to purchase to get real deals from the major companys (Tm, Cally, ect...). Plus how do I get in touch with local wholesalers below the major companys. I know all about the tax papers and all the other stuff that goes into setting up a buissness (my dad has his own store). Thanks.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most major OEM's sell directly to retail stores so there are no wholesalers. Also, most OEM's require a brick and mortar store front as you have already discovered. This is mainly for purposes of policing their minimum pricing policies and to protect their large accounts.

I hate to sound condescending but I think that you, like most 18 year olds, need to learn a little about business, either academically or through working experience, before embarking on a venture such as opening a golf store. What you are likely to discover is that a golf store is a very difficult thing to make profitable. You may learn that you need to make relationships in the industry first rather than just showing up with a wad of cash, otherwise you are throwing you money down the drain. You may also learn that in this day and age of big box stores a small start-up operation is almost doomed to failure unless you can offer something that no one else can.

I really hate to be the one serving you this dose of reality but I think your plan of opening a golf store is a little like if you were to say that you are looking to learn to play guitar because your plan is to become a rock star.

Most major OEM's sell directly to retail stores so there are no wholesalers. Also, most OEM's require a brick and mortar store front as you have already discovered. This is mainly for purposes of policing their minimum pricing policies and to protect their large accounts.

I hate to sound condescending but I think that you, like most 18 year olds, need to learn a little about business, either academically or through working experience, before embarking on a venture such as opening a golf store. What you are likely to discover is that a golf store is a very difficult thing to make profitable. You may learn that you need to make relationships in the industry first rather than just showing up with a wad of cash, otherwise you are throwing you money down the drain. You may also learn that in this day and age of big box stores a small start-up operation is almost doomed to failure unless you can offer something that no one else can.

I really hate to be the one serving you this dose of reality but I think your plan of opening a golf store is a little like if you were to say that you are looking to learn to play guitar because your plan is to become a rock star.

I totally understand everything you are saying. I am not willing to open a brick and mortar store because I am more concerned with my education than going right away to make money. I just wanted to save up some money for a few things through selling golf clubs online on my own website. I believe if I price things right then people will buy. The main problem is finding golf clubs at a cheap enough price to actually make it worth my time. I really thank you for your advice. Anyone else know of any ways to obtain discounted clubs in bulk. Thanks to all for your advice!

There are lots of places you can go online and purchase warehousing accounts, which is how lots of people make good money on ebay and the like. Search for drop shippers, etc and you'll find them. Find one with a large golf inventory (the ones you'll actually make money on won't require a payment up front to buy into the program) and give it a go. It's a headache to try to do, as the GF's dad tried it for a while. Drop shipping is easier because you take orders and place them with the drop shipper and they handle shipping the items out, etc.

There are lots of places you can go online and purchase warehousing accounts, which is how lots of people make good money on ebay and the like. Search for drop shippers, etc and you'll find them. Find one with a large golf inventory (the ones you'll actually make money on won't require a payment up front to buy into the program) and give it a go. It's a headache to try to do, as the GF's dad tried it for a while. Drop shipping is easier because you take orders and place them with the drop shipper and they handle shipping the items out, etc.

I tried finding dropshipping sites with golf equipment, but was unsuccesufull. Do you have any recomendations on sites? Thanks.

I tried finding dropshipping sites with golf equipment, but was unsuccesufull. Do you have any recomendations on sites? Thanks.

Recommendations at the current moment? No, as I haven't looked at it in a while. I did look at it a while back and there were a few that I had book marked on my old laptop that carried big box manufacturers. I'll pull the drive out of it and see if I can still get to that portion of the hard drive image and get them for you, it'll take a few days though, as it's not here at the new house currently.

I totally understand everything you are saying. I am not willing to open a brick and mortar store because I am more concerned with my education than going right away to make money.

What's the point of opening a business if not to make money? And if you're not in it to make money, why would an OEM bother with you at all?

You'd be better off buying used stuff at your local stores and reselling them on eBay. There are always suckers, buyers for such things. That way you can control when you sell something.

What would happen if you started an online store, and you suddenly have 50 orders for golf clubs? Do you have the cash on hand to buy them? If not, and you don't have any capital whatsoever, no way in the world a Callaway or TaylorMade is going to open up a credit line for you.

I'm all for a guy wanting to be an entrepreneur, but you need to think these things though. Buy a book or two on starting a small business.

Bottom line, starting a buisness requires a huge amount of start up capitol. Most people get small buisness loans and open storefronts. It's risky, but that's kind of how it works.

What I do, is go around to the local goodwill stores, sift through the junk, and find decent stuff, clean it, and resell it. I've bought all sorts of great items for a couple of bucks, I almost got (someone else snagged it) a Ping Anser 2 for $1.50.

I understand that many people think I need to mature and wait. I am completely sure i am mature enough and educated enough (have enough AP credits from high school to practically skip 1st year of college). Also like I said my father is a buissness man- he will provide me with much advice and has said he can help out by being an investor. I just need a reliable source to buy from and sell; the rest will be taken care of. Thanks a lot and please keep the advice coming.

The bottom line is that you're not going to find access to manufacturers with the business model you have in mind unless you have millions to commit. Your best option is to enter the "gray market", purchasing golf clubs through other legitimate accounts for a little above wholesale and trying to live off smaller margins. Good Luck.

The bottom line is that you're not going to find access to manufacturers with the business model you have in mind unless you have millions to commit. Your best option is to enter the "gray market", purchasing golf clubs through other legitimate accounts for a little above wholesale and trying to live off smaller margins. Good Luck.

I really apprciate the comments on my buisness model, plan, maturity. I dont want to sound rude, but I made this thread to see if someone could help me in finding equipment to sell. I appreciate the other advice, but I am confident about my plan. So please if someone knows where to find equipment please let me know. Thanks a lot for all the input.

OK, I'll take a shot here...I think what everyone is trying to say is that while you may be confident in your business (BTW, spelling "business" correctly may help you succeed in it) plan, the large OEMs are not going to be confident enough in it to supply you. No brick and mortar store, no profit projection (which is what "[not] going right away to make money" means, after all), no volume - you won't be able to move the numbers of clubs that Golfsmith, Rockbottom or Dick's et al. will, right? - and so on means you will likely have to find alternate sources and/or types of product to sell. That is why people are suggesting used, re-sells, "gray" market, etc. Because, unless you have a better plan that we're not hearing about, that is all you will be able to access reliably enough to start up an on-line store and hope to land and keep customers. Nobody is answering your question about where to source because there probably isn't anywhere that would. (Based on your positive responses to criticism so far, I'd say you're plenty mature. Just not realistic with this idea.)

I really apprciate the comments on my buisness model, plan, maturity. I dont want to sound rude, but I made this thread to see if someone could help me in finding equipment to sell. I appreciate the other advice, but I am confident about my plan. So please if someone knows where to find equipment please let me know. Thanks a lot for all the input.

FWIW, when I said "Good luck", I meant it. I made absolutely no judgment about your specific model or your maturity. I told you my opinion (from someone in the golf retail industry) about the financial requirements needed to work directly with manufacturers given your plan to be online only, and offered you what (again in my opinion) is your best option for acquiring the materials you are seeking. If you don't like the option, I'm sorry. But again, the reality is that you are going to find it extremely difficult to open any accounts as an online-only business without serious upfront capital. To pull your idea off you're going to have to go outside normal distribution channels and that means paying higher, not lower prices. If you're lean enough, you could make money that way, but you'll have really work the angles to make it happen.

Wondering if there are any fellow golfwrx members with access to whole sale equipment, closeout, ect. that could help supply me. Please pm me if there is anyone that thinks they can help me.

No one starts at the top. You can't just go and say, "I'm going to start selling golf clubs, I want to get a wholesale account." You need to pay your dues in the lower ranks first, working for stores, perhaps working your way up to doing marketing for Golfsmith, etc.

When I started in the music industry, I started at the bottom, playing churches, etc. I worked my way up to church events, then began to get sessions with local bands. From there, I began to meet more and more prominant artists. I started out in sound reinforcement as, basically, hanging out at a concert, helping out where I could. Within 4 years, I was the boss at that same concert.

It took me 7 years from when I went pro to where I am now, which is still only about halfway where I want to be, and I'm 26. The point I'm making is, I didn't start out working for chart topping bands, I worked my way up through hard work. With a little more hard work, and a few more years, perhaps it will be my direct input on the same charts?

So, you need to try and get in on a low level position, and establish relationships and get to learn how the industry works first.

I find it hard to believe in these days and times that you need a brick and mortar store. I had a pool company for over 15 years and always ran it out of my house. I got wholesale accounts at many pool supply houses, landscape companies, electrical suppliers, tile suppliers, ect. All you need is to either start an LLC or a corporation. There are many books that tell you how. Then get a tax ID number. Get some company checks and some company cards made up at kinkos. Then call some golf companies and get the names of thier reps. Let them know what your plans are and they will be more then happy to help you. They get paid based on sales and the more sales the better. If you really can move some product then they will love you. These days are hard for everyone so be positive and don't take 'no' for an answer.