Miura MC-102 Wow!

shepard

review of the Miura mid cap irons
I have been playing with Hogan Apex Edge forged irons for about five years. I absolutely love them. A lot has to do with the shaft, Apex-4. The replacement is the TT Dynalite shaft. The heads are soft and the combination of the softer shaft produce superior feel. Oh did I say how beautiful the heads are. Absolutely beautiful. So why I am I talking about them so much and how much I love them? Well its been about five years and I am going to be 60 in about two months and I a bit of a club ho and club hoing is a way I can indulge myself without going broke. (I don't need to have the big Mercedes or the hot Jaguar). I don't belong to a country club but here in the Chicago area that is actually an impediment since we have such superior munis. Think Cantigney, Thunderhawk, Oak Grove, Stonewall Orchard and if that isn't enough Kohler is about 2.5 hrs away. Hey I didn't even mention the south side courses!

So back to the irons. I have been reading about Miura for a long time. The equivalent for me is the MC-102. On a lark I purchased a very slightly used set of heads from a real nice guy and then took them over to my local Golfsmith. So you say why should I bring it to that bread and potatoes operation? Well I got to talking to one of the sales people. Note this guy does not look like a poster child for the tour. He was sort of old and fatter then me but boy did he know his equipment. I learned more in an hour talking to him than I could have possibly learned in many months scanning the boards. Then he told me that the other two old salts at Highland Park GS were respectively the best fitter he had ever seen (Art) and one of the best build men in the business (Ron). Ron spent many years in the tour vans and is a complete perfectionist. You should see the job he did for me! It pays to ask questions.

So back to the irons. With their agreement I put TT Dynalite SL shafts in the irons. I had tried Nippon in one of my wedges and was real disappointed. Is this heresy? Putting somewhat ordinary shafts in Miura heads? Wrong. They work beautifully as I expected. My grips are the new black and white golfpride grips. This is a story in and of itself. Try getting these. Every teenager in the world wants them since Phil Mick uses them.

So back to the irons! I had been waiting desperately to hit them on grass and finally in April I was ready! The problem was my back was not. I did the taxes and went completely downcycle. Here in Chicago we get the flu every other week. So I had the flu and my back was out. Its been five weeks and I am finally recovered, well almost.

I finally made it out to the range last night. I was a little scared as my back was not even close to 100% If you haven't had back problems do try to avoid this malady. Just standing can be an accomplishment. Slightly fearful I began hitting chips and then some pitches and finally worked my way up to full shorts. All I can say is wow! These irons are the most solid sticks I have ever hit. I didn't even know an iron could feel so solid. Every shot felt solid even if was not. Yes better than the Hogans. Did I say the workmanship if beautiful? Its absolutely impeccable. Not as pretty as the Hogan's then again hardly any thing is. The combination of the light shaft imparts a feeling that one is holding a club with a nuclear number approaching uranium. I didn't even have to try to woosh it. It happens automatically! Super solid club and automatic club lag. What more does one want? You owe it to yourself especially if you in my age group to at least demo a Miura iron. One thing more, I keep the heads covered at all times with neoprene covers. i would rather lose my dog than lose these.

Did I say I wasn't a 10 handicap. Well I'm Not. I'm note even a 15 but I do notice the difference with these irons and really appreciate them. Will update my long post after I have played a few rounds.
ve

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is great news. It is always funt get new clubs, even more fun when they feel great and perform just as well.

I never thought I would own headcovers for my irons, but I have a set of Scratch TD irons coming and want to keep the bag chatter to....well none at all. What kind of covers do you have? I tried looking for some nice looking covers (if there is such a a thing)? What kind do you have?

Ryan

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

• 2 weeks later...
Nothing special which is a good idea. Its not a good idea to have your bag attract the wrong attention. Ditto., real fancy cars. This really attracts the wrong attention. Ditto, fancy jewelry and watches.

Most people have absolutely no idea what Miura clubs are or ever heard of them. If you play better with them who cares what people think. I would hardly characterize Miura as anything but great value for the money.

• 1 month later...

Miura update. I have been using these clubs for about two months now. They are as solid as one could want and have a fair amount of forgiveness. They are dead on specs too. If your swing is OK and fairly consistent, you will really appreciate how they swing, feel, contact, etc. When you hit them right and even not quite right, they are something to behold.

Please, just because you have the money to buy them, don't. Be honest, if your not about a bogey golfer, then take a pass or get better. They should also be purchased as part of the total package. The shaft and even the grip to a lesser extent should be compatible with your swing and this head. At that, I do love them and they don't ding up that easily which is a plus. Good luck to all.

• 2 years later...

I have been playing taylormade LT2 for 5 years,but want a change.I am a hitter not a sweeper and my handicap is 20 at a very difficult coarse,reason I am off 20 is not thinking good course management,I was off 16 8 years ago and now 55,.
Now I want to buy a set of Miura mc102, please give me your thoughts,about forgiveness to what I am playing now,I hit my 6i 170 to 175 yards or 160 metres
Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

hit the 201s few days ago, very consistent, mild height shots..crisp feel but not harsh at all. would buy if could afford...

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

I have the MC102s as well. Have them as my second set (first set lasted 4 months before I out swung them). Before everyone jumps and tells me what on earth is a noob like me playing a 1500+ set: I've never spent any money on myself until I got hooked on this game. The first time I hit them, it was like nothing I have felt before, nor have I felt since, and I've rang through most JDM. Its a weird feeling; when you make that first good contact. You wonder, in steps, what on gods green earth did they put into this, the second one is does my bank account/credit line have enough, and third, will my SO find out.

I had them in the Nippons first, had flawed swing mechanics (sweeping, not hitting down), launched the ball way too high, and barely got it over 150 on my 7i on a hot day. My club fitter was questioning me, but I was adamant, and dumb. Decided it was time to change, and got KBS in them. I've been on the range for 3 summers, and playing for 2 summers.

Miura, with the newly released exception of the PP9003, does not make GI or SGI clubs. When they save forgiveness in the MC102, they mean forgiveness compared to a zero offset blade. They have a tiny bit more offset than general cavity backs of similar nature. I struggled. I looked like a dumbass on the range and course. I was thankful that most people did not know what they were.

But the one thing I must say it has help me on, is the aspect of the game. I have a friend who's played longer, and can barely hit his 8i like I hit my pitching wedge (120~). I have this beautiful ball flight: straight out, peaks and drops. I feel the glorious feedback. I know exactly where on the club face I've hit the club. I've taken an aggregate of 7 1 hour lessons. My 7i is 170~, 5i 200~. If you dare, it is the golfwrx's old debate, blades to start? My experience; absolutely. And if you can, do it with the best.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='vertigo88' timestamp='1312412571' post='3449057']
I have the MC102s as well. Have them as my second set (first set lasted 4 months before I out swung them). Before everyone jumps and tells me what on earth is a noob like me playing a 1500+ set: I've never spent any money on myself until I got hooked on this game. The first time I hit them, it was like nothing I have felt before, nor have I felt since, and I've rang through most JDM. Its a weird feeling; when you make that first good contact. You wonder, in steps, what on gods green earth did they put into this, the second one is does my bank account/credit line have enough, and third, will my SO find out.

I had them in the Nippons first, had flawed swing mechanics (sweeping, not hitting down), launched the ball way too high, and barely got it over 150 on my 7i on a hot day. My club fitter was questioning me, but I was adamant, and dumb. Decided it was time to change, and got KBS in them. I've been on the range for 3 summers, and playing for 2 summers.

Miura, with the newly released exception of the PP9003, does not make GI or SGI clubs. When they save forgiveness in the MC102, they mean forgiveness compared to a zero offset blade. They have a tiny bit more offset than general cavity backs of similar nature. I struggled. I looked like a dumbass on the range and course. I was thankful that most people did not know what they were.

But the one thing I must say it has help me on, is the aspect of the game. I have a friend who's played longer, and can barely hit his 8i like I hit my pitching wedge (120~). I have this beautiful ball flight: straight out, peaks and drops. I feel the glorious feedback. I know exactly where on the club face I've hit the club. I've taken an aggregate of 7 1 hour lessons. My 7i is 170~, 5i 200~. If you dare, it is the golfwrx's old debate, blades to start? My experience; absolutely. And if you can, do it with the best.
[/quote]

Today I got to hit MC102, PP2003, and CB501.
I really liked MC102 and its weight really goes well with my swing tempo. CB501 felt very similar however I think it has slightly less head weight and smaller face by small margin.

As for PP2003, it definitely has bigger offset and face size. Comparing PP2003 to MC102/CB501, it does look like PP2003 is GI club.

I am having really hard time deciding between MC102 & CB501 though..decisions decisions.. :)

• 1 year later...

I played with a client of mine at his club the other day. I haven't played with him in a while and he takes a look at my bag and starts to laugh thinking I was playing with a set of knock-offs. He wasn't laughing for long because I carded a 78 on a 133 slope course, and lipped out 4 putts (my best round on a normal length course this year). He takes a swing or two with them and says they feel pretty solid for cheap clubs. After he hits the first ball with my 7i, he's pretty much playing my irons the rest of the day. He's wondering why some no-name club is in my bag, and why he liked it. I didn't tell him until after the round that they weren't knock-offs or fake clubs, but that they were forged by "The Hand of God". He's probably going to buy the next set on eBay.

After the round he's scouring Amazon, TGW, etc trying to find them. He asks how such a quality club could stay off the radar and wonder why no one plays them. I told him the word is that a lot of people play them, but with one of ther sponsor's logos on them.

Nike Str8t Fit w/ Accra Dymatch 2.0 MT60
TEE CB4 15* Fujikura Rombax 7V05
TEE CB4 19* Matrix Studio 94
Adams CMB w/ Recoil Prototypes 110 F4 4-GW
Miura 1957 55C Modus3 Tour 120
Fourteen MT28V5 60* Modus3 Tour 120
<a href="Machine M2A Converter" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a>