2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

jerk or just the way he is?

Gandor, credit to you for learning from this incident and our responses.

Kevin

Agree. Lots of guys wouldn't take some of these comments so well. Good on ya dude.

thanks man! i'll post this again even if i knew this would be the outcome. at least now i know and probably other newbies like me would know now too.

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
K-Signature
WITB Link

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it would be nice if we all have all the time to do so but if thats the case i think forums wouldnt have much topic to discuss ;) btw, i think if i "assumed" then there would not be a question mark.

True - but as a relatively "new" golfer it would be my advice to always consider yourself in the wrong. You could have even asked one of the other members of your 4-some that day, "hey, what's up with that?" and they likely would have filled you in - and then your day on the course wouldn't have been as stressful and you could have had the time to apologize to the guy you offended with your little "etiquette faux pas"..... if you know what I mean ;)

it would have been nice if i can at least understand koreans with the other twosome ;) i dont think sign launguage would help in that type of situation to get some insight but your point is taken

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
K-Signature
WITB Link

woow! hold your horses. as you can see on the title of my post it has a "?" i should have bolded that character. i did NOT say he is a jerk that is why there was a question mark. pardon me for that ignorance but i've never experience the way i was asked to move on the course. and yes i admit that i did not know that i wasnt supposed to be there. although i know some basic stuff like don't move when somebody was making a shot. i played almost once a week with groups i never played before and have been standing behind them and not a single one told me not to but yes i dont think thats an excuse. no harm done anyways since i never said anything to the guy and just we moved on. im glad i posted this though otherwise it could have been worst the next time out. so thank you all.

Gandor,

The reason why no one has ever said anything to you before for standing behind their line is because you've probably played with really polite/nice people who just ignored you doing this. I assume you don't play much tournament golf. If you were in a USGA tourney then I can almost gurantee that your competitor would say something to you. In a casual game most people won't care if someone in their group was reading their line throughout the shot (at least I wouldn't). The person who told you to move off your line was probably someone who gets easily bothered with someone standing there or plays a lot of tournament golf and was just in tournament mode. He should have been more polite about it though.

During a practice round I have no problems with my playing competitor standing behind me however during a tourney I'd say something (politely of course) because it is common courtesy and a breech of rules.

The guy actually was a jerk like you said as he should have showed some courtesy to you and been nice about it. If he took the time to explain this rule to you, you wouldn't even have to post a thread here and get flamed by other people as well.

Just my $.02.

woow! hold your horses. as you can see on the title of my post it has a "?" i should have bolded that character. i did NOT say he is a jerk that is why there was a question mark. pardon me for that ignorance but i've never experience the way i was asked to move on the course. and yes i admit that i did not know that i wasnt supposed to be there. although i know some basic stuff like don't move when somebody was making a shot. i played almost once a week with groups i never played before and have been standing behind them and not a single one told me not to but yes i dont think thats an excuse. no harm done anyways since i never said anything to the guy and just we moved on. im glad i posted this though otherwise it could have been worst the next time out. so thank you all.

Gandor,

The reason why no one has ever said anything to you before for standing behind their line is because you've probably played with really polite/nice people who just ignored you doing this. I assume you don't play much tournament golf. If you were in a USGA tourney then I can almost gurantee that your competitor would say something to you. In a casual game most people won't care if someone in their group was reading their line throughout the shot (at least I wouldn't). The person who told you to move off your line was probably someone who gets easily bothered with someone standing there or plays a lot of tournament golf and was just in tournament mode. He should have been more polite about it though.

During a practice round I have no problems with my playing competitor standing behind me however during a tourney I'd say something (politely of course) because it is common courtesy and a breech of rules.

The guy actually was a jerk like you said as he should have showed some courtesy to you and been nice about it. If he took the time to explain this rule to you, you wouldn't even have to post a thread here and get flamed by other people as well.

Just my $.02.

EXACTLY. like you i really dont mind small stuff like this espcially playing casually. i played a few times where some guys actually stepping on my line but didnt bother to say anything but the more i think about it now i should have said something so he would know the next time he play with other groups.

K-Signature
WITB Link

Forget etiquette.... it's against the rules.

Actually, it's NOT against the rules, as he was not the other players partner or caddie nor was he pointing out the line of the putt. If he were the other players partner or caddie, and he were pointing out the line, the penalty would have been assessed to the player that is putting. That said, it is a breach of etiquette, as the OP now knows.

I have had other players do this on occasion (stand on an extension of my line to read their putt). It has always been relatively new players. I usually let it pass and then explain to them after the fact (maybe on the next tee) that it is considered poor etiquette to stand behind a player to read their putt.

Wel ... I mean, the OP was in the wrong (as he now probably knows - in spades) ... but some of the responses seem a tad over the top.

I don't know how old he is, or how long he's been playing, but really, it takes a long time to learn all the nuances of rules and etiquette. No one is aware of all of them after just a few years, in fact, weekenders that have been playing for decades don't always seem to know even some seemingly basic rules, or etiquette.

Probably the average Saturday foursome in the US does have awareness of things like raking sand traps and replacing divots ... but as far as standing behind someone (either on the tee box, or during putting), goodness, half the foursomes I play with when I walk on as a single (even relatively good golfers) seem to have no awareness of it.

So now, presumably the OP does, and he won't do it again. But that's how people learn. Pummeling the poor fellow in a rugby scrum probably wasn't entirely necessary ... ;)

^^^ So true, so true. I couldn't have stated it any better

My own golfing buddies are not aware of this.

rule 14-2 - Assistance

In making a stroke, a player must not: </SPAN>

b. Allow his caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie to position himself on or close to an extension of the line of play or the line of putt behind the ball.</SPAN>

In golf rules terminology, a "partner" is part of a team competition, so in this case the OP is not the player's partner but rather a "fellow competitor," so it is not a violation of the ROG.

Some people would not be bothered at all, while others are. In my opinion the guy may have been able to ask you in a nicer way or perhaps let you putt first. Did you notice if he praticed what he preached?

i didnt notice coz i guess im one of the few that dont care. u can even stand behind me as long as we dont touch skin, i have no problem. LOL :cheesy:

K-Signature
WITB Link

Golf is a game that places a great deal of importance in behavior that reflects good sportsmanship and gentility. That means that one treats a competitor in the way one would like to be treated. While your competitor was in the right, he or she might have violated the spirit of the game if he treated you rudely. Being right is important but so is being a gentleman or woman. Taking a competitor aside and asking politely if he or she would mind stepping away from the line of vision is much more likely to accomplish the necessary behavior than barking at him or her. No one likes to be embarrassed. There is really no good outcome that can come from humiliation. Your opponent was right - but ultimately wrong. I will certainly remember this the next time I am the object of a breach of etiquette. I hope you will remember how bad you felt in this case and not repeat your competitors churlish behavior.

This same spirit of good fellowship should also extend to a website dedicated to golf. Those who speak without gentility, about the need for good sportsmanship and observance of proper etiquette, are at best being disingenuous. JMHO

Forget etiquette.... it's against the rules.

Actually, it's NOT against the rules, as he was not the other players partner or caddie nor was he pointing out the line of the putt. If he were the other players partner or caddie, and he were pointing out the line, the penalty would have been assessed to the player that is putting. That said, it is a breach of etiquette, as the OP now knows.

I have had other players do this on occasion (stand on an extension of my line to read their putt). It has always been relatively new players. I usually let it pass and then explain to them after the fact (maybe on the next tee) that it is considered poor etiquette to stand behind a player to read their putt.

This is correct. If he wasn't YOUR partner you did not break a rule.

It's also good that you had the concern to ASK what the deal was. Honestly, it would be nice if more new golfers would be as interested in the "what to do's" rather than just bow up and make it uncomfortable for the entire group.

Take some of these harsher criticisms with a grain of salt, because I bet EVERYONE on this site has, at one time or another, ignorantly broke a rule or breached some etiquette. We all have done something, and it's the uncomfortable lessons that usually last the longest :black eye:

Sounds like you've got the right attitude about it, but don't hesitate to ask the others in your group if something doesn't seem right. Something that may not have been mentioned is that you would also not want to be reading your putt (from the same line) as the other guy while he was making his final read. You can't go wrong if you give the guy who's playing the whole stage ;)

Golf is a game that places a great deal of importance in behavior that reflects good sportsmanship and gentility. That means that one treats a competitor in the way one would like to be treated. While your competitor was in the right, he or she might have violated the spirit of the game if he treated you rudely. Being right is important but so is being a gentleman or woman. Taking a competitor aside and asking politely if he or she would mind stepping away from the line of vision is much more likely to accomplish the necessary behavior than barking at him or her. No one likes to be embarrassed. There is really no good outcome that can come from humiliation. Your opponent was right but ultimately wrong. I will certainly remember this the next time I am the object of a breach of etiquette.

This same spirit of good fellowship should also extend to a website dedicated to golf. Those who speak without gentility about the need for good sportsmanship and observance of proper etiquette are at best being ingenious. JMHO

Exactly. I've been sitting here trying to type up a reply of this nature, but this is spot on.

Standing in ones sightline is the same if not worse than standing in their through-line.

Have you noticed that the newer golfers in the past 5 years have NO clue to what this is? <-- This drives me crazy!

How about the guy that pulls the flag for you while you are looking at a putt that breaks 4-feet and he does the little "jump over the direct line to the hole" and lands with his 230lb-a** dead in the middle of your line. <---- when this happens it is the start of a long day!

He was right, you were wrong.

ok so 2 days ago i played with this guy whom i never played before so basically i have no clue how he plays. on the second hole green we ended up on the same line to make our 6 footers par putts and i was about less than a foot closer to the hole. so he'll be putting first. while the third guy was putting i went behind my ball about 10 feet away and was reading my putt then the 3rd guy finishes he's put and the next guy is the one who i ended up with the same line as me. as i was still reading my putt the guy addresses his ball and he saw me i was still behind my ball reading my putt 10 feet away so basically i was about 9-10 feet away behind him since we were on the same line. anyway when he setup on his putt and about to hit his stroke and saw me all of a sudden he stop and backed off and looked at me and said can you move? pointing me to move away from behind him and so i was like "what the hell im like 10 feet away from this dude?" although i was kinda pissed off a bit i just said hmmm its just the 2nd hole and why ruin my day so i just move away and through out the round i never spoke to the dude and i just did my own thing. what do u think happened here? is he being a jerk that he does not want me to read his putt since we were on the same line or its just simply bothers him when someone is behind him even though i was 10 feet away?

Golf is a game that places a great deal of importance in behavior that reflects good sportsmanship and gentility. That means that one treats a competitor in the way one would like to be treated. While your competitor was in the right, he or she might have violated the spirit of the game if he treated you rudely. Being right is important but so is being a gentleman or woman. Taking a competitor aside and asking politely if he or she would mind stepping away from the line of vision is much more likely to accomplish the necessary behavior than barking at him or her. No one likes to be embarrassed. There is really no good outcome that can come from humiliation. Your opponent was right - but ultimately wrong. I will certainly remember this the next time I am the object of a breach of etiquette. I hope you will remember how bad you felt in this case and not repeat your competitors churlish behavior.

This same spirit of good fellowship should also extend to a website dedicated to golf. Those who speak without gentility, about the need for good sportsmanship and observance of proper etiquette, are at best being disingenuous. JMHO

According to the original post, the player noticed the OP in his line, stepped away, and said "Can you move". Doesn't seem rude to me, and it certainly wasn't the least bit humiliating. His opponent was okay as far as I'm concerned, it seems a stretch to say that he was barking. What more should he have done? Are you upset because he didn't say please?

Bottom line is the OP was somewhere he shouldn't have been, the other player asked him to move, and the OP somehow got all offended by it. The OP was clearly in the wrong.

I don't know, it depends on how the person asks. What was his tone of voice? None of us where there, we don't know. You can tell a lot from someone's tone of voice. It's not that cut and dry. If it was, the question wouldn't even have needed to have been asked at all and would be a non issue. People don't get offended for no reason at all. There's something there that causes it.

I hate it when others stand behind me when I play.

Plain and simple.

On the teeing ground - on the putting green - same difference.

It ruins my game because I always fear that they have to look for tee's or have to scratch their nose in the middle of my backswing.

And I have yet after 40 years to find the perfect wording on how to ask a player to move if he feels he has the right to stand behind me and watch my stroke/putting line.

However nicely it's said, some will ALWAYS be greatly offended when they are asked to move, simply because they feel that it's meant as very negative critique of the behavior on the course.

The OP wrote "jerk or just the way he is?" and "although i was kinda pissed off a bit i just said hmmm its just the 2nd hole and why ruin my day so i just move away and through out the round i never spoke to the dude"

It's a lose/lose situation.

If I ask a player like that to move, however nicely (that's just recieved as patronising...) he will be P.O.

If I don't, my round is rubbish.

Please don't stand behind other players and avoid this in the first place.

ok so 2 days ago i played with this guy whom i never played before so basically i have no clue how he plays. on the second hole green we ended up on the same line to make our 6 footers par putts and i was about less than a foot further from the hole. so i'll be putting first. while the third guy was putting this other guy went behind his ball about 10 feet away and was reading his putt then the 3rd guy finishes his put and then it's my turn. I address my ball, and this guy is STILL standing there behind my ball. He was kneeling there like it was his turn to play or something. Anyway I thought the guy would get a clue when I setup to my putt, but when he still didn't back off, I had to ask him to move! He was very rude to me and said something like "what the hell im like 10 feet away from you dude!" although i was kinda pissed off a bit i made my putt for birdie. This dude wouldn't speak to me for the rest of the round, it was very awkward. what do u think happened here? Should I have not pointed out his breech of etiquette? It really distracts me when someone stands or moves in my peripheral vision. is he being a jerk that he does not want me to make my putt by distracting me, or does he not care about proper etiquette on the green?

Hehe...

ok so 2 days ago i played with this guy whom i never played before so basically i have no clue how he plays. on the second hole green we ended up on the same line to make our 6 footers par putts and i was about less than a foot further from the hole. so i'll be putting first. while the third guy was putting this other guy went behind his ball about 10 feet away and was reading his putt then the 3rd guy finishes his put and then it's my turn. I address my ball, and this guy is STILL standing there behind my ball. He was kneeling there like it was his turn to play or something. Anyway I thought the guy would get a clue when I setup to my putt, but when he still didn't back off, I had to ask him to move! He was very rude to me and said something like "what the hell im like 10 feet away from you dude!" although i was kinda pissed off a bit i made my putt for birdie. This dude wouldn't speak to me for the rest of the round, it was very awkward. what do u think happened here? Should I have not pointed out his breech of etiquette? It really distracts me when someone stands or moves in my peripheral vision. is he being a jerk that he does not want me to make my putt by distracting me, or does he not care about proper etiquette on the green?

Hehe...

:D

You don't stand behind someone when they are playing, pure and simple. Whether it's a putt, drive, iron shot, anything. Stand off to the side. If you stand behind him while he's putting on the same line, you're just trying to see the break of the putt. It's OK to move into that position after the ball is struck, but not while he's making the stroke.

IMO he had every right to ask you to move. I would do the same.

Kevin

Edit: It's proper etiquette to not stand behind someone. Check this:

http://www.usga.org/playing/etiquette/etiquette.html

This response is exactly correct. I am sure these weren't the responses you were expecting but they are correct. It was good of you to post. You are getting good feedback that will save you another tough moment on the golf course.

+1

Standing around, reading someones putt is bad etiquette, pure and simple on your part. It would have been better to let him swing and once the ball is rolling look at the line his ball is traveling.

Live and learn.

Wait, I don't think the OP ever stated that his intentions were to read the break of the other players putt. He was merely standing back there because that's where his ball was, and he was reading his own line, unaware that he was in a position that was in any way innappropriate. Intent plays a big part too.

ok so here's my take on this...

did i make a mistake posting this? absolutely not, otherwise i wouldnt know whats right or wrong and it might happen again and might goes bad the next time

did i learn from this? absolutely

was i wrong? absolutely coz i didnt know

would i beat my self about it? absolutely not coz it wasnt intentional(some peeps were asking if i was "that guy", well if i did know and did it, yes i was "that guy" but that wasnt the case

was the other guy right? yes and no. yes coz now "i know" he has the right to tell me to move. no(if i was me) to ask someone with an attitude.

ok now lets play and live and learn :partytime2:

to everyone who participated on this thread :good:

K-Signature
WITB Link

Wait, I don't think the OP ever stated that his intentions were to read the break of the other players putt. He was merely standing back there because that's where his ball was, and he was reading his own line, unaware that he was in a position that was in any way innappropriate. Intent plays a big part too.

thats right. like i said i was already there reading my putt when the third guy was making his put. then the other guy i was talking about, addressed his ball so i just stayed where i was since i thought 10 feet wouldnt be too close. like i posted above it was NOT intentional. it was not like...i was somewhere then went behind him when he was about to make a putt.

K-Signature
WITB Link

Doesn't 'That Guy' have a bag full of MP-67's after playing golf for only a year and not know basic etiquette?

The other guy did nothing wrong. It sounded like he just asked you to move. He's not obligated to educate some random person he's golfing with on all golf etiquette, it's reasonable for him to expect you to know.

I think the title of the post sort of irked people. And no, posing it as a question didn't make it any better. But like the OP said, at least he knows and can move on.

Titleist TSI3 8 degree w/Ventus Black 7x
Callaway X Hot Pro 3W 15 degrees
Mizuno CLK Hybrid 16 degrees
Titleist 712U 3 iron w/C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-W w/Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey Blue Slate SM7 52, 58, 60 w/ DG S400
Odyssey ProType Black #9

Doesn't 'That Guy' have a bag full of MP-67's after playing golf for only a year and not know basic etiquette?

The other guy did nothing wrong. It sounded like he just asked you to move. He's not obligated to educate some random person he's golfing with on all golf etiquette, it's reasonable for him to expect you to know.

I think the title of the post sort of irked people. And no, posing it as a question didn't make it any better. But like the OP said, at least he knows and can move on.

im pretty sure you're one of the guys who thinks that every beginner needs to start with gi irons. well just an fyi, i did start with r7, mx-25 but it did not work very well for me. so now you have a little of my background why im playing a harder to hit irons than on your bag lol. anyways, what does it have anything to do with equipment. last time i check you can play whatever you want and whats work best for you. if you envy my bag then thats not really my concern. well, i guess i can be rude to you if i was right and you were wrong but of course you know everything and a perfect person. i dont think it would make it even better if it wasnt a question and said straight up told the guy was a jerk but again you know everything.

K-Signature
WITB Link