2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

jerk or just the way he is?

incident at the green
ok so 2 days ago i played with this guy whom i never played before so basically i have no clue how he plays. on the second hole green we ended up on the same line to make our 6 footers par putts and i was about less than a foot closer to the hole. so he'll be putting first. while the third guy was putting i went behind my ball about 10 feet away and was reading my putt then the 3rd guy finishes he's put and the next guy is the one who i ended up with the same line as me. as i was still reading my putt the guy addresses his ball and he saw me i was still behind my ball reading my putt 10 feet away so basically i was about 9-10 feet away behind him since we were on the same line. anyway when he setup on his putt and about to hit his stroke and saw me all of a sudden he stop and backed off and looked at me and said can you move? pointing me to move away from behind him and so i was like "what the hell im like 10 feet away from this dude?" although i was kinda pissed off a bit i just said hmmm its just the 2nd hole and why ruin my day so i just move away and through out the round i never spoke to the dude and i just did my own thing. what do u think happened here? is he being a jerk that he does not want me to read his putt since we were on the same line or its just simply bothers him when someone is behind him even though i was 10 feet away?
SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
K-Signature
WITB Link

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't stand behind someone when they are playing, pure and simple. Whether it's a putt, drive, iron shot, anything. Stand off to the side. If you stand behind him while he's putting on the same line, you're just trying to see the break of the putt. It's OK to move into that position after the ball is struck, but not while he's making the stroke.

IMO he had every right to ask you to move. I would do the same.

Kevin

Edit: It's proper etiquette to not stand behind someone. Check this:

http://www.usga.org/playing/etiquette/etiquette.html

Meh, it may have not been a great act of courtesy from yourself, but it sounds like this guy came across as a bit rude. I would never stand directly behind someone when they putt, even if it doesn't seem like a big deal to some people, you should still should respect the etiquette of the game and your playing partner.

You don't stand behind someone when they are playing, pure and simple. Whether it's a putt, drive, iron shot, anything. Stand off to the side. If you stand behind him while he's putting on the same line, you're just trying to see the break of the putt. It's OK to move into that position after the ball is struck, but not while he's making the stroke.

IMO he had every right to ask you to move. I would do the same.

Kevin

Edit: It's proper etiquette to not stand behind someone. Check this:

http://www.usga.org/playing/etiquette/etiquette.html

This response is exactly correct. I am sure these weren't the responses you were expecting but they are correct. It was good of you to post. You are getting good feedback that will save you another tough moment on the golf course.

I used to play with a guy like that. Some people don't want you anywhere in their field of vision. Others just want to set up an excuse now so they can blame you after they miss the putt.

Either way, it's a war you can't win. Don't go into battle.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I get out of sight and then move in after the ball is hit. this is ok. I dont think someone should be rude about asking but simply ask nicely and just say it distracts them. i think they is a very reasonable request for anyone. i personally dont care if people talk, move or do anything short of actually touch me when I am swinging. I zone out. But some people are little girls and get all worked up.

Just be polite and show respect and educate....

rule 14-2 - Assistance

In making a stroke, a player must not: </SPAN>

b. Allow his caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie to position himself on or close to an extension of the line of play or the line of putt behind the ball.</SPAN>

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

What makes you think you have the "right" to stand behind and read his line while he putts?

You were the one breaking a rule of etiquette, common decency and respect for a playing partner.

Learn the rules and basic etiquette before playing with people you don't know.

And at the very least, don't b**** about others when you're clearly clueless!

Wow.

What makes you think you have the "right" to stand behind and read his line while he putts?

You were the one breaking a rule of etiquette, common decency and respect for a playing partner.

Learn the rules and basic etiquette before playing with people you don't know.

And at the very least, don't b**** about others when you're clearly clueless!

Wow.

Those responses aren't that bad considering the title chosen by the OP and how he thought the other guy was wrong. :fool:

Kevin

All of the replies here are valid. In your case, if the guy addresses his ball & you're still reading your putt, just move and stand off to the side while he putts. Once he's done, go back to reading your putt. It's common courtesy, just like not walking through someone's line.

Another thing I can't stand is when someone stands on my putting line extended past the hole. He pulls the flag out of the hole and just stands there on the other side, right in my line of sight. Clueless.

woow! hold your horses. as you can see on the title of my post it has a "?" i should have bolded that character. i did NOT say he is a jerk that is why there was a question mark. pardon me for that ignorance but i've never experience the way i was asked to move on the course. and yes i admit that i did not know that i wasnt supposed to be there. although i know some basic stuff like don't move when somebody was making a shot. i played almost once a week with groups i never played before and have been standing behind them and not a single one told me not to but yes i dont think thats an excuse. no harm done anyways since i never said anything to the guy and just we moved on. im glad i posted this though otherwise it could have been worst the next time out. so thank you all.

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
K-Signature
WITB Link

Like that saying goes, it's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

oh thats not me. i rather keep my mouth open and know things i should have known. imagine if i never posted this and then we were both in the same group and stood 2 feet behind you :cheesy:

K-Signature
WITB Link

are you "that guy"

NO because i don't asked/approach somebody to move and point him to where he should go. after all, it was a nice day without any $ involved or life and death situation.

K-Signature
WITB Link

woow! hold your horses. as you can see on the title of my post it has a "?" i should have bolded that character. i did NOT say he is a jerk that is why there was a question mark. pardon me for that ignorance but i've never experience the way i was asked to move on the course. and yes i admit that i did not know that i wasnt supposed to be there. although i know some basic stuff like don't move when somebody was making a shot. i played almost once a week with groups i never played before and have been standing behind them and not a single one told me not to but yes i dont think thats an excuse. no harm done anyways since i never said anything to the guy and just we moved on. im glad i posted this though otherwise it could have been worst the next time out. so thank you all.

I guess that's the problem, you were assuming the other guy was being the jerk without taking into consideration that it could have ben YOU.

So perhaps you should have left the "jerk" bit out of your post entirely.

Many of us learn the game, and its rules and nuances, from a more experienced friend or family member that usually sets us straight on what to do and what not to do.....while perhaps many more learn the game by showing up at the course and playing - and unfortunately miss a LOT.

There are several websites, including the USGA site, that have a list of the Rules Of Golf - including an etiquette section - that's probably worth your while to do some studying up, and that way you won't find yourself in a quandry again quite so quickly.

Gandor, credit to you for learning from this incident and our responses.

Kevin

thanks man! i never take anything negatively especially if it makes me better.

K-Signature
WITB Link

I guess that's the problem, you were assuming the other guy was being the jerk without taking into consideration that it could have ben YOU.

So perhaps you should have left the "jerk" bit out of your post entirely.

Many of us learn the game, and its rules and nuances, from a more experienced friend or family member that usually sets us straight on what to do and what not to do.....while perhaps many more learn the game by showing up at the course and playing - and unfortunately miss a LOT.

There are several websites, including the USGA site, that have a list of the Rules Of Golf - including an etiquette section - that's probably worth your while to do some studying up, and that way you won't find yourself in a quandry again quite so quickly.

it would be nice if we all have all the time to do so but if thats the case i think forums wouldnt have much topic to discuss ;) btw, i think if i "assumed" then there would not be a question mark.

K-Signature
WITB Link

Wel ... I mean, the OP was in the wrong (as he now probably knows - in spades) ... but some of the responses seem a tad over the top.

I don't know how old he is, or how long he's been playing, but really, it takes a long time to learn all the nuances of rules and etiquette. No one is aware of all of them after just a few years, in fact, weekenders that have been playing for decades don't always seem to know even some seemingly basic rules, or etiquette.

Probably the average Saturday foursome in the US does have awareness of things like raking sand traps and replacing divots ... but as far as standing behind someone (either on the tee box, or during putting), goodness, half the foursomes I play with when I walk on as a single (even relatively good golfers) seem to have no awareness of it.

So now, presumably the OP does, and he won't do it again. But that's how people learn. Pummeling the poor fellow in a rugby scrum probably wasn't entirely necessary ... ;)

im glad you asked. im 32 yrs old but i've been playing for 1 yr now :) you maybe right other people i played it probably didnt know too or they are just too nice and didnt want to hurt my feelings. :D

K-Signature
WITB Link

it would be nice if we all have all the time to do so but if thats the case i think forums wouldnt have much topic to discuss ;) btw, i think if i "assumed" then there would not be a question mark.

True - but as a relatively "new" golfer it would be my advice to always consider yourself in the wrong. You could have even asked one of the other members of your 4-some that day, "hey, what's up with that?" and they likely would have filled you in - and then your day on the course wouldn't have been as stressful and you could have had the time to apologize to the guy you offended with your little "etiquette faux pas"..... if you know what I mean ;)