2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ball on green

Ball replaced, marker still down
This should be easy to answer...amazing how rules get turned around if all one does is play with the same group. Situation is: Ball on green at point A. Ball is marked, picked up, cleaned and replaced but marker is not picked up. Player walks around hole to line up putt and while doing so gravity takes over and ball rolls toward hole to point B. My take on this is that the ball is played from point B. "Not so!" according to my rat pack. I think they think that keeping the marker in place is playing it safe against acts of golf gods or anything else happening to the ball...like rolling into the water or sand. The bet is a million dollars on this!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK...I win a cool million. So, follow up questions: If you have replaced the ball and taken your stance (grounded the putter) is there any rule that says you have to remove the marker before you strike the ball? Also can you stop pick up, remark and replace as many times as you want after you have addressed the ball? I've seen pros do that when its windy...

[quote name='JCTN' post='1857629' date='Aug 1 2009, 11:20 AM']OK...I win a cool million. So, follow up questions:

1) If you have replaced the ball and taken your stance (grounded the putter) is there any rule that says you have to remove the marker before you strike the ball?

2) Also can you stop pick up, remark and replace as many times as you want after you have addressed the ball? I've seen pros do that when its windy...[/quote]

1) No
2) Yes

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='JCTN' post='1857795' date='Aug 1 2009, 03:03 PM'][url="http://"]</a>[size=1]Under definitions in the rule book:[/size]

[size=1][b]Addressing the Ball
[/b][/size][size=1]A player has "[i]addressed the ball[/i]" when he has taken his [/size]<a href="http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14253#Stance" target="_blank">[i][size=1]stance[/size][/i][/url][size=1] and [b]has also grounded his club[/b], except that in a [/size][url="http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14253#Hazards"][i][size=1]hazard[/size][/i][/url][size=1] a player has [i]addressed the ball[/i] when he has taken his [/size][url="http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14253#Stance"][i][size=1]stance[/size][/i][/url][/quote]

Thanks...now all I have to do is convince everyone. Asking our pro doesn't always help...pro shop has been wrong before.

Take everyone to the pro shop and have the pro read Rule 20-4:

20-4. When Ball Dropped or Placed Is in Play

If the player's ball in play has been lifted, it is again in play when dropped or placed.

If that doesn't work, have the pro read Decision 20-4/1:

20-4/1 Ball Replaced on Putting Green But Ball-Marker Not Removed; Ball Then Moves5e6357ca-4421-4dab-a626-4a0fc8b9062c.gif

Q. A player replaces his ball on the putting green but does not remove his ball-marker. Subsequently the wind moves his ball to a new position. What is the ruling?

A. Under Rule 20-4, a ball is in play when it is replaced, whether or not the object used to mark its position has been removed

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='KevCarter' post='1857639' date='Aug 1 2009, 10:27 AM'][quote name='JCTN' post='1857629' date='Aug 1 2009, 11:20 AM']

1) If you have replaced the ball and taken your stance (grounded the putter) is there any rule that says you have to remove the marker before you strike the ball?[/quote]

1) No

[/quote]

I'm not sure that is correct. A marker left in place could be considered an alignment aide.

I was thinking the same thing...
Marker would be an "aide" and therefore must be removed before the stroke is made.
e.g. no different than placing a couple clubs down on the ground to help alignment with the full swing.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

[quote name='hbear' post='1865319' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:23 PM']I was thinking the same thing...
Marker would be an "aide" and therefore must be removed before the stroke is made.
e.g. no different than placing a couple clubs down on the ground to help alignment with the full swing.[/quote]

I believe that the issue depends on what your purpose was in leaving the marker down. If it was for the purpose of aiding alighment, then it is not allowed. If it was for some other odd purpose, such as laziness (for instance wanting to bend down and pick up the holed ball and marker at the same time if it's marked close to the hole), it is acceptable.

[quote name='Sawgrass' post='1865342' date='Aug 4 2009, 09:30 PM'][quote name='hbear' post='1865319' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:23 PM']I was thinking the same thing...
e.g. no different than placing a couple clubs down on the ground to help alignment with the full swing.[/quote]

I believe that the issue depends on what your purpose was in leaving the marker down. If it was for the purpose of aiding alighment, then it is not allowed. If it was for some other odd purpose, such as laziness (for instance wanting to bend down and pick up the holed ball and marker at the same time if it's marked close to the hole), it is acceptable.
[/quote]

Well that now opens up a can of worms if true....as one can also simply say those clubs laying down near his feet were not "intended" to improve aim...but instead simply laziness on his part to put them back in the bag before he swings....
Or that guy that sets up to try and hack his ball out of some deep rough...but doesn't advance the ball at all can also say his "intent" was a practise swing....and not his "real" stroke at the ball.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

Thanks...now all I have to do is convince everyone. Asking our pro doesn't always help...pro shop has been wrong before.

Take everyone to the pro shop and have the pro read Rule 20-4:

20-4. When Ball Dropped or Placed Is in Play

If the player's ball in play has been lifted, it is again in play when dropped or placed.

If that doesn't work, have the pro read Decision 20-4/1:

20-4/1 Ball Replaced on Putting Green But Ball-Marker Not Removed; Ball Then Moves5e6357ca-4421-4dab-a626-4a0fc8b9062c.gif

Q. A player replaces his ball on the putting green but does not remove his ball-marker. Subsequently the wind moves his ball to a new position. What is the ruling?

A. Under Rule 20-4, a ball is in play when it is replaced, whether or not the object used to mark its position has been removed

This is the strangest rule in golf. Makes no sense. I can mark a ball, pick it up and replace it as many times as I want. But if the wind blows it, that's the new spot you must play from.

Here's a question, you mark it, the ball blows 6" from it's current spot. Is the ball still considered marked? If not, how far does it have to roll before it's no longer "marked"? If the answer is any amount, haven't we all had a ball that moved 1/4 turn after we replaced it, as we struggle to get the ball to settle down on the green?

[quote name='Sawgrass' post='1865342' date='Aug 4 2009, 10:30 PM'][quote name='hbear' post='1865319' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:23 PM']I was thinking the same thing...

[/quote]

You NAILED it Sawgrass!

Thanks,
Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='dukedsp' post='1865792' date='Aug 5 2009, 07:45 AM'][quote]1) No
2) Yes

Kevin[/quote]

A little off topic, but welcome back Kev. Along with your typical well thought out replies I used to always look forward to your answer to rules questions as they would almost always be simple and easily understood.
[/quote]

Thank you Duke!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='hbear' post='1865556' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:28 AM'][quote name='Sawgrass' post='1865342' date='Aug 4 2009, 09:30 PM'][quote name='hbear' post='1865319' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:23 PM']I was thinking the same thing...

[/quote]

Well that now opens up a can of worms if true....as one can also simply say those clubs laying down near his feet were not "intended" to improve aim...but instead simply laziness on his part to put them back in the bag before he swings....
Or that guy that sets up to try and hack his ball out of some deep rough...but doesn't advance the ball at all can also say his "intent" was a practise swing....and not his "real" stroke at the ball.

[/quote]

It is quite true that one can cheat, and probably get away with it, if one wishes to. But there are a number of occasions when your honest intent comes in to play as far as the rules are concerned. For instance, you can legally brush sand from your putting line with your hand if your intent is to clear the way. If your intent is rather to test the surface of the green there is a penalty. You can, of course, lay clubs down on the ground before you hit if your intent is to free your hands. If your intent is to aid in alignment, that's illegal. Often it is only the golfer who knows. It's a beautiful system!