2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Nikon/Callaway LR800 Question

I just purchased a used LR800 from the bay and have a question about the operation. I have the manual and cannot seem to get it to go into "First Target Priority Mode", which is indicated by a "G" in the viewfinder. I used it tonight for the first time and it worked great except I kept getting the trees in the background. I have followed the instructions as written but I must be missing something. Has anyone else had the same issue? If so, how did you solve it? Thanks for any ideas.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the LR1200 and was under the impression that they are [b]always [/b]in First Target Priority Mode. I believe Nikon's hunting models can switch between FTPM and regular backround mode, but don't think the Callaway golf models can. I could be wrong, but didn't find anything in my owner's manuel that said I could switch back and forth. This lead me to believe that it's [b]always [/b]in[b] [/b]FTPM and the only difference is if you hold the button while ranging and use the scan mode (numbers changing as you scan that particular area). Otherwise, it's point...press once...and read the numbers. If you think about it, there is no need for anything except the FTPM on a golf course because there will be nothing between yourself and your target. While hunting, you may want to target an animal that is well past some trees. You would rather target the further object, in this case the beast you're about to drop. On the course, you want the closest target read...the pin. JMO, let me know if I'm incorrect. BTW, my brother-in-law just got this model for his birthday yesterday from my sister. I'll take credit for steering her in the right direction of a great gift, though :yes: I love my LR1200...let me know what you think after a couple of rounds.

Just looked up more info on the web...and I think I'm correct. It seems as though the regular Nikon Monarch 800 and the Nikon 800s (not Callaway models, obviously) are made to switch between First Target Priority Mode and Distance Priority Mode (better for hunting). The Callaway/Nikon models are FTPM only...which is really all you need, IMHO. 1. You may have gotten a different intsruction manuel with it...hence the thinking you could switch between the two modes. 2. It takes a little getting used to...and I mean little...but you'll soon learn to lock onto the pin VERY quickly w/o getting the trees behind it. Also, [b]Always[/b] shoot the flag instead of the stick...works like a charm.

Mickw,

The only owners manual I could find on-line was for an 800S and it clearly showed the two modes. The prior owned even e-mailed me a 800S manual and he thought he had changed the modes so I just thought I was doing something wrong. If there is only one mode, I just need to get better at hitting the flag and not the pin. I do have an e-mail into Callaway to see what their answer is so it should be interesting what they say. I certainly appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

Blue,
No problem. I thought that's what was happening here. The 800-s (your manual) has both modes, whereas the Callaway models only have FTPM. Not to worry, the Distance Priority Mode is not needed on the course. When you are lasering on the course, there will be nothing between you and the flag, hence FTPM to weed out the trees behind the green. You will get better at hitting the flag, trust me...and it won't take long. Every one of my friend's that pick it up for the first time...say it's hard to do. By the end of the round, they're telling me that they are going to look into getting a laser. Please let me know if Callaway says anything different...

Mickw,

I was able to use the LR800 extensively yesterday at a scramble tournament. The more I used it, the better I got at hitting the flag. Toward the end of the round, one of my team members who has a Upro said "that thing is pretty accurate". I just smiled and said "it is pretty quick too". He would still be fumbling with his to get it out of the case. I have not heard a word from Callaway but it doesn't really matter anyway. I appreciate your information on it. It is a great rangefinder for the price I paid. Thanks.

Here's how to switch between First Target Priority and Distant Target Priority on a Nikon LR800:

1. Press the POWER button once to turn on the LCD display

2. Press and hold the MODE button, then press and hold the POWER button within one second, and continue to press and hold both buttons. (Switching won't take place if the buttons are not pressed in the correct sequence)

3. Hold both buttons for approximately two seconds until the "G" appears or disappears on the LCD screen, then release the buttons.

The "G" stands for "Golf" which means it's in First Target Priority Mode.

[quote name='biscuity' post='1972559' date='Sep 25 2009, 11:46 PM']Here's how to switch between First Target Priority and Distant Target Priority on a Nikon LR800:

2. Press and hold the MODE button, then press and hold the POWER button within one second, and continue to press and hold both buttons. (Switching won't take place if the buttons are not pressed in the correct sequence)

3. Hold both buttons for approximately two seconds until the "G" appears or disappears on the LCD screen, then release the buttons.

The "G" stands for "Golf" which means it's in First Target Priority Mode.[/quote]

Tried this on the course today with the LR1200 and it didn't work. I'm still thinking that the Callaway models are always in FTPM.

[quote name='mickw' post='1974104' date='Sep 27 2009, 07:59 AM'][quote name='biscuity' post='1972559' date='Sep 25 2009, 11:46 PM']Here's how to switch between First Target Priority and Distant Target Priority on a Nikon LR800:

The "G" stands for "Golf" which means it's in First Target Priority Mode.[/quote]

Tried this on the course today with the LR1200 and it didn't work. I'm still thinking that the Callaway models are always in FTPM.
[/quote]

You are correct, mine also only works in FTPM - the trick does not work on my LR800 unit either.
Maybe the first batch of these Callaway-Nikon units had the original Nikon firmware inside used in the huntíng range finders, and then Callaway decided to skip it for the golf model. Keep it simple :D