2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

GPS vs. Laser, Which GPS?, Which Laser?

Help me decide!
It's so confusing... there are so many good GPS units on the market. There are so many good lasers on the market. They're not cheap, so I want to buy the right one. But they're not so expensive that I can't spend a few bucks.

I have an old laser that is OK. It doesn't have any kind of pin seeker technology which I find is a challenge past about 175 yards. Often it will give me yardages to the tree 10 or 20 yards in back and if you don't know the course really well, you may think you have the pin and wind up hitting it over the green. From 150-175 yards, you have to hit the base of the pin as a target- and if the green slopes at all, you often will get a bad read.

So... I'm gonna buy something before next season, but I'd like some help in deciding...

I like that some GPS units show the actual birds-eye view of the hole. Great on an unfamiliar course- but you usually have a scorecard with the same picture, so this isn't a requirement.

I like Skycaddy's Intelligreen feature, but I don't like the annual membership.

I like using AA batteries, but I can live with an internal "custom" battery.

I like the idea of using a smartphone (I have the latest HTC Touch Pro 2- just released), since I have the device for other stuff, adding something like a golf GPS application is $30/year- not a bad annual fee since I don't have to lay out hundreds for another device first (unlike a Sky Caddy where I have to spend a few hundred first).

But, smartphones are bad because they probably will be deemed non-conforming by the USGA.

I like the idea of a laser- doesn't matter about the course, just lase your target. But I've already seen that some targets you want the distance to are not in line of sight, so you can't get the distance. I would have to have something that can get me a distance to the pin up to about 220 yards (beyond that, does it really matter?). I'm sure the new crop of lasers can do this accurately.

If I go with a GPS, I definitely want a color screen. And it would be nice if the thing kept score and other stats (like GIR, putts, fairways hit/missed, etc.).

I like that a GPS would give me yardages to all the hazards, as opposed to using a laser to find the distance to each of them. The GPS should say "120 to bunker, 135 to carry" in some way, shape, or form.

Complicated doesn't scare me- the more buttons, features, gadgets, the better. I learn my electronics and play them like a musical instrument. But I don't mind simple either, as long as it gets the job done.

So, how do I decide? Is there somplace that compares all these devices?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just one opinion. As someone on another thread suggested, go with a pinseeker rangefinder (I use the Bushnell 1500 -- LEGAL, and am very happy with it), and an inexpensive GPS (I use the Sonocaddie V-300 and also have the Callaway U-Pro, but I prefer the V-300 because of the ability to input targets and exact, repeatable yardages to those targets), and it's much cheaper right now than when I bought mine -- also no yearly fees like skycaddie). My only regret is that I purchased the U-Pro (which I have trouble seeing in Pro-Mode), and lots of Pro-Mode credits. The only way I use it now is in the basic mode, which is much easier to see, and all those courses are FREE. Unfortunately, you can't add targets / 100 yd lay-ups to the U-Pro. I've read just about every single post on this blog, and it's an incredible source for finding out detailed evaluations / ratings of all the different rangefinders and GPS units. I'm still looking for the IDEAL GPS unit, though I'll never give up my Pinseeker 1500 -- I just want something that I can clip on my belt and have with me on "cartpath-only courses".

I had a pinseeker 1500 for over 4 years but dropped it a few months ago and the pinseeker stopped working... i'm also thinking of getting some flavour of gps unit and a new laser... There are a lot of laser options with "pinseeker technology" now at reasonable prices... but my main problem is finding a gps unit where my course is mapped... skycaddie may be my only option right now (small course in canada)

Interesting- I hadn't thought about the dual option of both laser and GPS.

How do you guys feel that approach works in practice as far as time is concerned? Do you feel you're always fiddeling with a gadget, or are you able to work it into your pre-shot routine so it doesn't slow you down.

Even though I'm a little bit of a gadget junkie, I don't like when they get in the way. The goal is still to play golf at a reasonably quick pace.

[quote name='InTheHole' post='1998198' date='Oct 10 2009, 02:27 PM']It's so confusing... there are so many good GPS units on the market. There are so many good lasers on the market. They're not cheap, so I want to buy the right one. But they're not so expensive that I can't spend a few bucks.

I have an old laser that is OK. It doesn't have any kind of pin seeker technology which I find is a challenge past about 175 yards. Often it will give me yardages to the tree 10 or 20 yards in back and if you don't know the course really well, you may think you have the pin and wind up hitting it over the green. From 150-175 yards, you have to hit the base of the pin as a target- and if the green slopes at all, you often will get a bad read.

So... I'm gonna buy something before next season, but I'd like some help in deciding...

I like that some GPS units show the actual birds-eye view of the hole. Great on an unfamiliar course- but you usually have a scorecard with the same picture, so this isn't a requirement.

I like Skycaddy's Intelligreen feature, but I don't like the annual membership.

I like using AA batteries, but I can live with an internal "custom" battery.

I like the idea of using a smartphone (I have the latest HTC Touch Pro 2- just released), since I have the device for other stuff, adding something like a golf GPS application is $30/year- not a bad annual fee since I don't have to lay out hundreds for another device first (unlike a Sky Caddy where I have to spend a few hundred first).

But, smartphones are bad because they probably will be deemed non-conforming by the USGA.

I like the idea of a laser- doesn't matter about the course, just lase your target. But I've already seen that some targets you want the distance to are not in line of sight, so you can't get the distance. I would have to have something that can get me a distance to the pin up to about 220 yards (beyond that, does it really matter?). I'm sure the new crop of lasers can do this accurately.

If I go with a GPS, I definitely want a color screen. And it would be nice if the thing kept score and other stats (like GIR, putts, fairways hit/missed, etc.).

I like that a GPS would give me yardages to all the hazards, as opposed to using a laser to find the distance to each of them. The GPS should say "120 to bunker, 135 to carry" in some way, shape, or form.

Complicated doesn't scare me- the more buttons, features, gadgets, the better. I learn my electronics and play them like a musical instrument. But I don't mind simple either, as long as it gets the job done.

So, how do I decide? Is there somplace that compares all these devices?[/quote]

[url="http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11488468&search=callaway&Mo=2&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=callaway&Ntt=callaway&No=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1"]http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...topnav=&s=1[/url]

[quote name='InTheHole' post='2001353' date='Oct 12 2009, 08:00 AM']Interesting- I hadn't thought about the dual option of both laser and GPS.

How do you guys feel that approach works in practice as far as time is concerned? Do you feel you're always fiddeling with a gadget, or are you able to work it into your pre-shot routine so it doesn't slow you down.

Even though I'm a little bit of a gadget junkie, I don't like when they get in the way. The goal is still to play golf at a reasonably quick pace.[/quote]

I don't think pace of play is an issue with using gps/lasers.. in fact, they probabaly speed up play. I personally play faster than people even without lasers.

I normally push with a clicgear cart and have the gps in front of me all the time, while the laser is in the cart compartment and only comes out during approach shots or par 3's.. pretty straightforward.

ahh, i think you are going through the standard cycle of "things to consider" when deciding which way to go! all questions perfectly reasonable, and you will find devices with tradeoffs galore.

not sure if anyone can tell you what will work best for your game. i started with laser and migrated to gps. if you had an iphone, i would say its a no-brainer to try out the gps apps on that device. i havent seen any of the apps available for the htc.

you should check out [url="http://criticalgolf.com"]http://criticalgolf.com[/url] , they have reviews of lots of both gps and laser. just remember to check out the details on the gps units - some devices, like the upro, have nice interfaces and lots of info, but don't have pieces you may want, like a scorecard and stats tracking. if you go with laser, keep in mind the magnification (some have up to 7x, which is quite nice...)

i have tried playing with laser and gps, and as long as you really commit to what info you need before getting to your ball, there isnt really a pace of play issues. the issues will arise when you start getting information with one device, but then think the other will give you the little more info you need (either better accuracy or distances to specific targets you can't see or aren't marked). and believe me, your playing partners wont be happy when you get to your ball and pull out both the laser and gps and start evaluating all the info...watch for flying clubs when that happens!

[quote name='InTheHole' post='1998198' date='Oct 10 2009, 02:27 PM']I have an old laser that is OK. It doesn't have any kind of pin seeker technology which I find is a challenge past about 175 yards. Often it will give me yardages to the tree 10 or 20 yards in back and if you don't know the course really well, you may think you have the pin and wind up hitting it over the green. From 150-175 yards, you have to hit the base of the pin as a target- and if the green slopes at all, you often will get a bad read.[/quote]

I had used an older Bushnell 400 rangefinder. Like you, I had issues with various targets.

I "upgraded" to a Skycaddy.

After playing with a Skycaddy for a season, I sold it, and went back to a laser. This time, I bought a Bushnell Medalist with Pinseeker.

The difference between the old laser and the new laser is night and day. I can pick up pins and targets faster, farther and more accurately than I ever thought of with the old Bushnell. The Pinseeker feature makes a world of difference. I can pick up a flag with clutter behind it from obscene distances.

The accuracy is spot on. The convenience of information I need, to the targets[b] I select[/b] has made a world of difference to my game.

Plus, a 9 volt battery lasts forever. But, when the low battery indicator does flash, BEWARE, because you have less than 4 rounds left before it needs replacing....

X________________________________ Sign Here

[quote name='slightdraw' post='2003546' date='Oct 13 2009, 11:39 AM']ahh, i think you are going through the standard cycle of "things to consider" when deciding which way to go! all questions perfectly reasonable, and you will find devices with tradeoffs galore.

not sure if anyone can tell you what will work best for your game. i started with laser and migrated to gps. if you had an iphone, i would say its a no-brainer to try out the gps apps on that device. i havent seen any of the apps available for the htc.

you should check out [url="http://criticalgolf.com"]http://criticalgolf.com[/url] , they have reviews of lots of both gps and laser. just remember to check out the details on the gps units - some devices, like the upro, have nice interfaces and lots of info, but don't have pieces you may want, like a scorecard and stats tracking. if you go with laser, keep in mind the magnification (some have up to 7x, which is quite nice...)

i have tried playing with laser and gps, and as long as you really commit to what info you need before getting to your ball, there isnt really a pace of play issues. the issues will arise when you start getting information with one device, but then think the other will give you the little more info you need (either better accuracy or distances to specific targets you can't see or aren't marked). and believe me, your playing partners wont be happy when you get to your ball and pull out both the laser and gps and start evaluating all the info...watch for flying clubs when that happens![/quote]

Thanks for the link to Critical Golf- excellent web site. I agree on the "Things to Consider" - yes, I'm to the point where it's overwhelming. As far as information overload on the golf course, or gadget overload, I agree. Each situation is different, but you have to approach your ball, make your decision and go- you can't fiddle around with the GPS and laser to the point where it is taking away from your game.

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' post='2003587' date='Oct 13 2009, 11:58 AM'][quote name='InTheHole' post='1998198' date='Oct 10 2009, 02:27 PM']I have an old laser that is OK. It doesn't have any kind of pin seeker technology which I find is a challenge past about 175 yards. Often it will give me yardages to the tree 10 or 20 yards in back and if you don't know the course really well, you may think you have the pin and wind up hitting it over the green. From 150-175 yards, you have to hit the base of the pin as a target- and if the green slopes at all, you often will get a bad read.[/quote]

I had used an older Bushnell 400 rangefinder. Like you, I had issues with various targets.

I "upgraded" to a Skycaddy.

After playing with a Skycaddy for a season, I sold it, and went back to a laser. This time, I bought a Bushnell Medalist with Pinseeker.

The difference between the old laser and the new laser is night and day. I can pick up pins and targets faster, farther and more accurately than I ever thought of with the old Bushnell. The Pinseeker feature makes a world of difference. I can pick up a flag with clutter behind it from obscene distances.

The accuracy is spot on. The convenience of information I need, to the targets[b] I select[/b] has made a world of difference to my game.

Plus, a 9 volt battery lasts forever. But, when the low battery indicator does flash, BEWARE, because you have less than 4 rounds left before it needs replacing....
[/quote]

This is the way I'm leaning. My thinking is that the GPS units need one more revision of software/features in my book. With Winter coming, I'm going to hold off on purchasing a dedicated GPS and go with the smart phone app for the time being. I'm also going to purchase a laser with pinseeker (no slope). After the next round of GPS upgrades, I'll make a choice at that point.

I think the laser technology is much more mature than the dedicated GPS technology- the lasers will change much slower over time at this point.

Thanks for all the input folks!

I won't try to sell you on a GPS or laser. I have them both. I bought the Upro this year. I give it an "A" I love it.

If I designed a GPS it would be the Upro. I have no problem seeing the screen when its sunny out. I have found the yardage to be right on. I absolutely love the pro mode on the unit. It has helped my game.

Now the bad. If you play 36 holes in a day the battery my not make it. The good, it only takes between 1:30-2:00 hours to fully charge it. You can buy another battery and have it with you so you could play 72 holes in a day.

I really don't think any one can go wrong with a good GPS or a laser.

One thing to consider, and this is why I like the Laser the best, is you can use the laser at the range to help determine exactly how far you are hitting it. This is invaluable IMHO. You know exactly how far you fly the ball when practicing. So instead of saying, I hit my 8 iron 150, you can say, I carry my 8 iron on average 152. And then you can choke down 1/2", and say, I hit my 8 iron 148. etc. This has really helped my club selection already on the course. By the way, I have the Leupold GX1. I love it. Now that I have gotten used to it, and cleaned the lenses very well, it is picking up targets over 220yds with lightening speed.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='ronbo' post='2007147' date='Oct 14 2009, 10:16 PM']For those who think laser is best for driving ranges. Skygolf is the only company That Maps all ranges.
They take all the work out of finding yardages.[/quote]

Ummm, how does that work? You walk out to your ball to see how far you hit it? I understand it probably maps the major points on the range, but I don't even need a laser for those. I'm pretty sure the 100 yard flag is at 100 yards (and I have proven that with my old laser).

Range balls pretty much make that a crap shoot anyway. I lose 10-20 yards off my driver with range balls. So it doesn't matter how far I hit it on the range, the course will be different.

Maybe I'm spoiled with a well marked range? I've only ever gone to one, so I don't know.