2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Japanese Wedge Opinions

BIRD

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not going to act like I've tried them all, because I havent. I like my Yururi's a [b]lot[/b], but with that said they have some different characteristics than American wedges. They are longer heel to toe than say a cleveland 900 or a vokey sm. Man when I get these things they were sharp enough to shave with almost. I had some major grinding done to them to get them to do different things and when I was done, they look great. Probably gonna change the paintfil on em before I do a witb though.

[quote name='Lefty Cat' post='2117307' date='Dec 10 2009, 08:06 PM']I am not going to act like I've tried them all, because I havent. I like my Yururi's a [b]lot[/b], but with that said they have some different characteristics than American wedges. They are longer heel to toe than say a cleveland 900 or a vokey sm. Man when I get these things they were sharp enough to shave with almost. I had some major grinding done to them to get them to do different things and when I was done, they look great. Probably gonna change the paintfil on em before I do a witb though.[/quote]

I'm kinda biased here as well. Yururi Tours all the way! Best wedges I've ever owned. Grooves are sick!

God Bless
Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

If these were available in 54* I'd love to try one out... Love the looks...

seidallll.jpg

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Then again, the Yururi Gekku wedges look nasty! In a good way!

gekkuwedgerawlarge.jpg

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

just went on maruman's japan website and looks like they have something called ZERO BOUNCE wedge. kinda funny but looks alright if you ask me. too bad i can't really read japanese but maybe someone here can help.

[url="http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maruman-golf.jp%2Fproduct%2Fwedge%2Fm_ks_wedge_zerobans.html&sl=ja&tl=en"]Ma[/url][url="http://www.maruman-golf.jp/product/wedge/m_ks_wedge_zerobans.html"]ruman KS Wedge Zero Bounce[/url]

[quote name='arcticreaver' post='2119514' date='Dec 11 2009, 05:55 PM']just went on maruman's japan website and looks like they have something called ZERO BOUNCE wedge. kinda funny but looks alright if you ask me. too bad i can't really read japanese but maybe someone here can help.

[url="http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maruman-golf.jp%2Fproduct%2Fwedge%2Fm_ks_wedge_zerobans.html&sl=ja&tl=en"]Ma[/url][url="http://www.maruman-golf.jp/product/wedge/m_ks_wedge_zerobans.html"]ruman KS Wedge Zero Bounce[/url][/quote]

That's sick. In a bad way. A total digger wedge. No bounce will make you dig like crazy. I guarantee it. Otherwise, it's only good for bunkers that have a lot of light, fluffy sand that you can quick-cut. Otherwise if the sand is heavy or hard, these are worthless. You need some bounce to help you rebound back up and come through. I can barely hit my 60-degree with 6-bounce it digs so much.

[quote name='RangerEsq.' post='2120103' date='Dec 12 2009, 12:41 AM'][quote name='arcticreaver' post='2119514' date='Dec 11 2009, 05:55 PM']just went on maruman's japan website and looks like they have something called ZERO BOUNCE wedge. kinda funny but looks alright if you ask me. too bad i can't really read japanese but maybe someone here can help.

[url="http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maruman-golf.jp%2Fproduct%2Fwedge%2Fm_ks_wedge_zerobans.html&sl=ja&tl=en"]Ma[/url][url="http://www.maruman-golf.jp/product/wedge/m_ks_wedge_zerobans.html"]ruman KS Wedge Zero Bounce[/url][/quote]

That's sick. In a bad way. A total digger wedge. No bounce will make you dig like crazy. I guarantee it. Otherwise, it's only good for bunkers that have a lot of light, fluffy sand that you can quick-cut. Otherwise if the sand is heavy or hard, these are worthless. You need some bounce to help you rebound back up and come through. I can barely hit my 60-degree with 6-bounce it digs so much.
[/quote]

Looks like they designed the leading edge quite differently from ordinary wedges with bounce to prevent from digging.

It says that it's supposedly good for getting out of plugged lies in a bunker and out of heavy rough. The squared off leading edge and rounded sole shape will stay straighter through the shot, so you can aim directly at the target and don't have to adjust for a cut shot. And, it has excellent spin, blah, blah (add boilerplate marketing words here...)

The large (horizontal) radius of sole, along with the large sole itself, is supposedly good for explosions bunker shots.

The hosel is shaped at the same radius as a golf ball, so the player is supposed to have more confidence and can be more aggressive on approach shots, apparently without fearing the dreaded shank.

The shaft insert is 40mm instead of the standard 30mm~35mm, so you can supposedly be more aggressive and not worry about damaging the club. You can wield it like a [i]samurai[/i] sword... (I'm kidding)

Added: and I have no agenda in this, but fourteen are more popular in Japan than Yururi wedges.

[quote name='Rolex' post='2128420' date='Dec 16 2009, 07:07 AM']It says that it's supposedly good for getting out of plugged lies in a bunker and out of heavy rough. The squared off leading edge and rounded sole shape will stay straighter through the shot, so you can aim directly at the target and don't have to adjust for a cut shot. And, it has excellent spin, blah, blah (add boilerplate marketing words here...)

The large (horizontal) radius of sole, along with the large sole itself, is supposedly good for explosions bunker shots.

The hosel is shaped at the same radius as a golf ball, so the player is supposed to have more confidence and can be more aggressive on approach shots, apparently without fearing the dreaded shank.

The shaft insert is 40mm instead of the standard 30mm~35mm, so you can supposedly be more aggressive and not worry about damaging the club. You can wield it like a [i]samurai[/i] sword... (I'm kidding)

Added: and I have no agenda in this, but fourteen are more popular in Japan than Yururi wedges.[/quote]

thanks for that explanation. i guess i get the gest of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an opinion but if I am in the market for Higher End Wedges, I want to know that the forgings are superior. While some folks like the look and feel, why would I get Fourteen Wedges forged in China as opposed to others forged in Japan? Price wise, you are getting less value for the money. Again, they may be just fine, no one can convince me that the quality of Chinese forgings are equal to Japanese forgings.

• 4 weeks later...