2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

MMT 125 tx shaft really worth the hype?

The Ultimate Hack

I ask this question because another shaft I have pivoted towards is dynamic gold 120 x100.

I've played the kbs tour 130x and have been having back issues and is looking to slow it down a little.

Feel wise between mmt 125 tx and dg 120 x100.....

Edited by The Ultimate Hack

WITB

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 Core - Ventus Blue+ 6x (45)

4 Wood: Taylormade Qi10 Core - Ventus Blue+ 7x

3 Utility: Mizuno 2024 Pro Fli-Hi - Ventus Blue HB 9x

Irons: Cobra King Tour 4-PW - MMT 125 TX

Wedges: Cobra Snakebite Raw 50, 54, 58 - MMT 125 TX

Putter: Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Cruiser (35.5)

Balls: Titleist ProV1x

The MCA, MMT and Tensei shafts are outstanding.  I have MMT 125TX in two wedges, and had MMT 125S in my 620 MBs, before switching to MMT 105s.  Feel wise, there's no comparison. 

I played X-100, then 6.5 to PX 6.0 for 15+yrs, to composite graphite about 5yrs back.  No medical reason, just they feel better than steel, and I won't go back.  Composite, or stainless-steel woven into graphite mid - tip section, is engineered to provide feedback and ball control.  The shaft talks to me, so I know what happened at impact, without the jarring nature of steel.  The unfortunate aspect of this type of shaft technology, it costs more than regular graphite or the best steel.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I hope so, just ordered a set for my i59s.  Looking forward to hearing some feedback as well, especially what I can expect as far as getting correct swing weight.

Ping G430 Max 10K UST Lin-Q Black 6f5
Ping G430 15* AV Raw Blue 75 TX

Titleist TSi2 21* AV Raw Blue 75TX
Ping 3 iCrossover Tour 2.0 S 
Ping Blueprint S 5-W UST Dart V 120 F5
Ping S159 50S 54S UST Daet V 120 F5

Vokey 58M MMT 125 TX
Lab Mezz 1 Accra 
Snell Prime

I've played the MMT 125TX in my irons since they came out.  Agree with what's already been posted and I'd like to add one thing.  On toe strikes and thin strikes, it seems as if this shaft adds a small level of forgiveness outside of just less vibration.  I have Nippon 125 X's in my backup set and DGTI X7's in my old Ping S55's and I feel like I lose a few less yards on average with the MMT's.  Don't know why and this obviously isn't scientific.  Just my personal observation is that they help with deflection a little.

• Like 1

The cut weight (after butt trimming) of a DG 120 X100 is about 113g which is similar to the 105 TX, not the 125.  Just FYI.  I recently built two sets with both of these shafts and weighed them.  Really like both.  

Cally AI Smoke TD 9 Ventus Black 6x
Sim 16.5 Ventus Black 7x
Titeist TSi3 18 Hybrid GD Tour AD IZ 85x
Srixon ZX7 Mkii 4-PW DG TI 120 X100
Vokey SM9 50/54/60
TM Spider X Tour Stability Shaft

ProV1

• 11 months later...

Due to a recent case of old age & tennis elbow, I am ready to convert from DG TI X100 120g to MMT's in my T150's.  I have played the DG's for several years and enjoy the characteristics of them.  I am going into this blind, ordering a set of shafts without trying them.  Not a big deal if I guess wrong on the shafts.  I have read every post I can find on the MMT iron shaft topic.  Based on everything I have read correlating the info. back to my game, I am ready to have a set of 105tx shafts installed in 4-PW.  I plan to have the 4-6 iron soft stepped x1.  Also adding a new club, T200 3 iron w/ a MMT hybrid 90tx S.S. x 1.  All clubs will be built standard length.  I want d-3/4 for SW on the irons, lighter on the 3 iron. 

My questions or concerns are: 

• should I go 125tx SSx1?  In the back of my mind I am concerned 113g may be on the light side on the scoring irons.  The reason for SS is based on reading how stout the 125tx can feel.  
  • should I SS all the irons x 1 in the 105tx shaft?  I avg. 88 MPH on a 7 iron.  
  • My goals for these shafts are to reduce joint pain, increase launch/ peak height/ descent angle.  

• Like 1

@DelBaker If you like the weight and stiffness of the DG 120 X100 then I'd go MMT 105TX straight in. I've hit both and they're quite close, MMT seems just a touch softer. Worst case scenario you buy one more shaft and soft step them at some point. If you soft step now and they're too soft, can't go back from that easily. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

1 hour ago, DelBaker said:

Due to a recent case of old age & tennis elbow, I am ready to convert from DG TI X100 120g to MMT's in my T150's.  I have played the DG's for several years and enjoy the characteristics of them.  I am going into this blind, ordering a set of shafts without trying them.  Not a big deal if I guess wrong on the shafts.  I have read every post I can find on the MMT iron shaft topic.  Based on everything I have read correlating the info. back to my game, I am ready to have a set of 105tx shafts installed in 4-PW.  I plan to have the 4-6 iron soft stepped x1.  Also adding a new club, T200 3 iron w/ a MMT hybrid 90tx S.S. x 1.  All clubs will be built standard length.  I want d-3/4 for SW on the irons, lighter on the 3 iron. 

• should I go 125tx SSx1?  In the back of my mind I am concerned 113g may be on the light side on the scoring irons.  The reason for SS is based on reading how stout the 125tx can feel.  
  • My goals for these shafts are to reduce joint pain, increase launch/ peak height/ descent angle.  

I don't know who will be building these for you, but swing weighting these to D4 at standard lengths with the 105's could prove a challenge without lead tape in a 1 piece forging.  They have a slightly higher balance point versus steel.  Mine are +1/2" 125TX in a callaway TCB iron and barely get to D4.  I like D5-6.  Also, they feel softer to flex and play stiffer.  The 125's are definitely a penetrating lower ball flight.  Even for myself that can elevate anything.  I cannot with the 125TX's.  I believe the Axioms SW a little higher with their low balance point.   Just some thoughts.

2 hours ago, B.Easy said:

I don't know who will be building these for you, but swing weighting these to D4 at standard lengths with the 105's could prove a challenge without lead tape in a 1 piece forging.  They have a slightly higher balance point versus steel.  Mine are +1/2" 125TX in a callaway TCB iron and barely get to D4.  I like D5-6.  Also, they feel softer to flex and play stiffer.  The 125's are definitely a penetrating lower ball flight.  Even for myself that can elevate anything.  I cannot with the 125TX's.  I believe the Axioms SW a little higher with their low balance point.   Just some thoughts.

I haven't found any issue adding tip weights to MMTs. Plus I think the 105TX has a slightly lower balance point than 125TX.

• Like 1

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

They weren't for me... there's a ton of people that love them 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

I play MMT 125TX in my 3i, and am very happy with it. Softer than C-Taper 130, higher launching, but really fun to hit. Mine is a 4i shaft taper-tip, so HSx1, not the UT shaft.

Taylormade R7 Quad TP 8.5* w/ Aldila Rogue SIlver 125msi 70TX

Titleist 915Fd 13.5* w/ ACCRA FX 470 M5+

Titleist TS2 17* hybrid w/ Aldila VS Proto 'ByYou' 95X

Titleist U500 20° w/ MMT 125 TX (HSx1)

Cobra King Forged MB 4i-Pw w/ KBS C-Taper 130X

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 52/58 mid w/ Rifle Spinner 7.0
Bell 2Way Blade w/ Rifle 7.0 HSx5 + Flatcat Tak Svelte

I have played a large assortment of xstiff steel shafts over the last few years: x100 primarily, x7, project x 6.5/7.0, modus 130x and CTaper 130x. 

Most recently I was in x100 for the past year. When I switched to MMT 125TX I have noticed a good dispersion however the ball flies higher than with x100. I did change heads from TCB to P7MC so there might be some flight related issues to the head, but I have had to adjust slightly to flight balls and find the shaft to be as stable just flies slightly higher. 

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

The MMT is very stable. At the OP’s speed and considering his goal, I would demo the MMT 125 S. I find the heavier MMT shafts feel better than the lighter models and I also would say a TX flex shaft may not be necessary. I think the stiff flex feels a lot smoother. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 1/10/2024 at 10:28 AM, DelBaker said:

Hey Delbaker - I switched from KBS Tour 130x to the MMT 125TX due to elbow issues.  I soft stepped them into my P7MB and my elbow pain is gone.  I have a 2nd set with MMT 125TX straight in in a mix of P7MB/MC.  Honestly, not much different in the numbers between the 2 sets.  I tried the 105TX in a fitting and personally, I did not like the feel vs the heavier shaft.  My fitter laughed after 3 swings and took it from my hands and simply said, Nope.

I recently purchased a set of 125S to play with a Titleist T100 set. I have also put the 125TX in my wedges.  Happy with them too.

I can't say I have seen higher launch or spin in any of them over the other.  I notice more if I change the lofts, ex take the 7 from where I play to the 33 and go 34, then I see more numbers that I like but lose a little yardage.  To save joints, I am all in and I really like the feel.

As for softstepping, take your 6, and put it in the 7 head and see what you like, just play it a 1/2 inch longer of what you like to play so if you don't like it, then you can put it in the 6 and you have it back standard length of what you play.

Good Luck!

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 9 Ventus Velocore Blue 6x Tipped 1 inch

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 wood Ventus Velocore Red TR 7x

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood Ventus Velocore Red TR 7x

TaylorMade 2023 P7MB P-5 MMT 125 TX & P7MC 4 MMT 125TX  Soft Stepped

PXG SDII 50(51), SD II Full Face 54 (55) and TM MG4 60 (59)

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat GSS

3 hours ago, DelBaker said:

Scottygolf- thanks for your reply.  Are the shafts in your wedges the same shafts that are in your irons or did you use the 125tx wedge shafts (Scoring wedge shaft)?  

I actually have the scoring wedges in one set of my wedges.  I have the 125TX soft-stepped a TM MG4 50.  I have 125TX straight in on another 52 wedge.  I have to say I very much like the scoring wedges a lot.  The 125TX non-soft-stepped, I like a lot.  The new TM MG4 50, not so much.  I have 6 rounds with it and struggling with distance control after playing in FL (Sea level/wind).  More me and the wedge than the shaft.  My previous wedge shafts were all S400 Tour Issue which I have in a 3rd set still that I use in the sim. 

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 9 Ventus Velocore Blue 6x Tipped 1 inch

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 wood Ventus Velocore Red TR 7x

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood Ventus Velocore Red TR 7x

TaylorMade 2023 P7MB P-5 MMT 125 TX & P7MC 4 MMT 125TX  Soft Stepped

PXG SDII 50(51), SD II Full Face 54 (55) and TM MG4 60 (59)

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat GSS

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2024 at 7:20 AM, DelBaker said:

Scottygolf- thanks for your reply.  Are the shafts in your wedges the same shafts that are in your irons or did you use the 125tx wedge shafts (Scoring wedge shaft)?  

Not Scottygolf but would like to offer an answer as well.

I'm 60 yoa and played DGTI X100 since their introduction in the '80's. For the same reasons you mentioned in your original post, I switched to 125TX. It's been a seamless transition. I tried straight on, SSx1, and HSx1. I eventually went with straight in. I couldn't be happier and will never go back to steel, ever.

On the wedges, I went from X7 8-iron shafts in 50, 55, and 60. I originally tries the MMTwedge shafts but found them too soft. If you like S400 in your wedges I think you'll like the wedge shafts. However, I prefer a stiffer shaft and went with MMT125TX 8-irons tipped 5/8 inch. Just follow these instructions if you want to find the best "spinners" for you.

Anyway, just my .02 cents. Good luck you you sir.

tipofthehat.gif.18fdc31eb8a836a711bcd20886a47c5e.gif

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

On 1/10/2024 at 10:02 AM, B.Easy said:

Are you sure you aren't confusing the MMTs with something else here? All published specs i've seen have them swingweighting the same as most low balance point steel shafts with none of the models in the MMT lineup having a balance point above neutral, and virtually all of them below. They'd swingweight a full point heavier than PX Rifles for example. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-7i 26*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

45 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Are you sure you aren't confusing the MMTs with something else here? All published specs i've seen have them swingweighting the same as most low balance point steel shafts with none of the models in the MMT lineup having a balance point above neutral, and virtually all of them below. They'd swingweight a full point heavier than PX Rifles for example. 

Funny you should say that, because I'm going to throw some PX 6.5's in the TCB's before I sell them.  Guess I'll know then.  I'm not confusing them.  It's just my experience.  I've had the MMT's since they came out and in 2 different heads.  I first had them in New Level PF-2's at +1/2 and they SW D5 with Tour Velvets.  Then tried them in my TCB's at the same length and grip and was just under D4.  I then put my old trusty X7's into the PF-2's and they SW at D7-D8.  I'm not using plugs or extensions.  One item for consideration is that Callaway could have sent me lighter heads when I originally purchased the TCB, due to the over length initial build.

Also, you have a really cool bag set up. Very similar to one of mine, except I've never tried those 7.0's.  Very cool with the J40's.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, B.Easy said:

Funny you should say that, because I'm going to throw some PX 6.5's in the TCB's before I sell them.  Guess I'll know then.  I'm not confusing them.  It's just my experience.  I've had the MMT's since they came out and in 2 different heads.  I first had them in New Level PF-2's at +1/2 and they SW D5 with Tour Velvets.  Then tried them in my TCB's at the same length and grip and was just under D4.  I then put my old trusty X7's into the PF-2's and they SW at D7-D8.  I'm not using plugs or extensions.  One item for consideration is that Callaway could have sent me lighter heads when I originally purchased the TCB, due to the over length initial build.

Also, you have a really cool bag set up. Very similar to one of mine, except I've never tried those 7.0's.  Very cool with the J40's.

Cheers! I'm actually shifting the Bridgestone/Rifle 7.0 shaft to a backup bag and I have a set of Mizuno 921Fs with MMT 125TXs going in soon, hence being aware of an MMT thread as i'd been researching and working with them. It could be lighter heads for sure, also i'm not sure where X7's fall but they could easily balance even lower than "standard" DG shafts which could be part of it as well. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-7i 26*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

• 3 months later...

If I'm moving my 7 iron about 95-98 on clubhead speed, is it necessary to hard step these shafts?

WITB

3 minutes ago, The Ultimate Hack said:

If I'm moving my 7 iron about 95-98 on clubhead speed, is it necessary to hard step these shafts?

I do not think so. I swing my 7 98-100 and play them straight in. They will launch higher than x100 but once you get used to it, it is no problem.

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

50 minutes ago, The Ultimate Hack said:

I have a hard-stepped 125TX 3i, and it's certainly not too much. Plays softer than CTaper 130, and quite a bit softer than X7, both of which I have in other 3i heads. Feels like a nice smooth mid-bend profile, pretty stable and fairly crisp. My guess is, it's not gonna make a huge difference whether you hardstep. It's going to move that mid-bend section a little closer to the tip, which may slightly increase launch, counterintuitively. You may or may not prefer that.

Not to cause conflict, just for clarity.  MMT 125S and 125TX are mid-high bend, close to high, a noticeable distinction.  Because of my fast tempo and transition, played both flexes, always high bend iron shafts until last year when I moved to MMT 105S.  Also played Tensei AV White AM2 stiff in 2i-PW for a few years, which is very stout high bend.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

17 minutes ago, rbpwrx said:

I have a hard-stepped 125TX 3i, and it's certainly not too much. Plays softer than CTaper 130, and quite a bit softer than X7, both of which I have in other 3i heads. Feels like a nice smooth mid-bend profile, pretty stable and fairly crisp. My guess is, it's not gonna make a huge difference whether you hardstep. It's going to move that mid-bend section a little closer to the tip, which may slightly increase launch, counterintuitively. You may or may not prefer that.

Would you safe the MMT 125 tx is softer than x100’s?

WITB

2 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Not to cause conflict, just for clarity.  MMT 125S and 125TX are mid-high bend, close to high, a noticeable distinction.  Because of my fast tempo and transition, played both flexes, always high bend iron shafts until last year when I moved to MMT 105S.  Also played Tensei AV White AM2 stiff in 2i-PW for a few years, which is very stout high bend.

that makes sense, I've always liked mid-high-bend shafts - Tour Green, Rogue Silver, etc. But the point stands that hard-stepping would move that hinge 1/2" closer to the tip. And MIGHT not stiffen the tip significantly. Hard to know without knowing the layup.

• Like 1

Just now, The Ultimate Hack said:

Would you safe the MMT 125 tx is softer than x100’s?

I would say it feels softer in the handle and upper midsection than X100. Tip might be a little firmer. I'm more sensitive to the fat end of the shaft.