2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Advice for Scotland gowf trip summer 2010

belmullet

Hi all,

My wife and I are going to see the Open Championship at St. Andrews next summer- we have been anticipating the trip for a long time, but are only starting to "plan" it. We planned ahead and managed to rent a flat for the two weeks surrounding The Open that is only a few blocks from the R&A- paid dearly for it but it sure will be convenient.

The week after the Open, my wife is leaving and some golfing buddies are coming to play courses in the St. Andrews area for 1 week and then we are renting a place in Dornoch for a second week and will play in the Highlands.

I would appreciate any and all advice, but I have a lot of questions, so I'll number them and that may make it easier to reply to just the ones you want to.

1) My wife and I are golfers but are novices at attending professional tournaments, let alone a major, let alone at St. Andrews. We have season tickets so will be there for all practice rounds (but no special grandstand tickets or anything like that.) Does anyone have any general advice for the best way to handle viewing a multi-day tournament or tips about where to position oneself on the Old Course?

2) Any suggestions for meals and sighteseeing in the area when we aren't watching the Open?

3) We are trying to manage without a car until we leave for the Highlands. Is there a shuttle service of some sort to the courses in the St. Andrews "complex?" Are taxis plentiful? If we want to go outside of town (Crail, for example) is it feasible to take a bus (with clubs) or do we need a taxi? Is the bus station in St. Andrews close to the Old Course?

4) Is the best way to get to St. Andrews from Edinburgh the train (and a cab) or a bus?

5) I know I want to play the Balcomie course at Crail. Others I am considering are the Dukes, the Castle Course, Ladybank, Lundin Links, the New Course, and Kingsbarns. Any suggestions or rankings? We will put in each day for the Old Course lottery. Any other suggestions for getting on the Old Course would be appreciated. If it matter re: your advice, our handicaps range from 5-12.

6) There appears to be one car rental firm in St. Andrews. (St. Andrews Car Rental). Anyone know it?

7) Royal Dornoch is the only course I have played in Scotland- I made a "pilgrimage" up there from Oxford several years ago by train and bus and played two wonderful rounds with rented clubs. I can't wait to play the course with my friends. It's a magical place to me. Other courses I am considering in the area for week #2 are: Nairn, Brora, Moray Old, Boat of Garten, Spey Valley, Castle Stuart. Again, reviews, suggestions and rankings would be greatly appreciated.

8) What else should I be asking about?

Thanks so much.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all hi and i'll try and give you as many answers as possible. They'll be inside your quote.[quote name='belmullet' post='2137117' date='Dec 21 2009, 07:47 PM']Hi all,
My wife and I are going to see the Open Championship at St. Andrews next summer- we have been anticipating the trip for a long time, but are only starting to "plan" it. We planned ahead and managed to rent a flat for the two weeks surrounding The Open that is only a few blocks from the R&A- paid dearly for it but it sure will be convenient.

The week after the Open, my wife is leaving and some golfing buddies are coming to play courses in the St. Andrews area for 1 week and then we are renting a place in Dornoch for a second week and will play in the Highlands.

I would appreciate any and all advice, but I have a lot of questions, so I'll number them and that may make it easier to reply to just the ones you want to.

1) My wife and I are golfers but are novices at attending professional tournaments, let alone a major, let alone at St. Andrews. We have season tickets so will be there for all practice rounds (but no special grandstand tickets or anything like that.) Does anyone have any general advice for the best way to handle viewing a multi-day tournament or tips about where to position oneself on the Old Course? [b]This will be totally up to you, but as you have tickets for the practice days, use them. It's a) The best time to see the golfers a bit more, when they're a bit more relaxed too. b) You will be able to decide where you prefer watching.[/b]
2) Any suggestions for meals and sighteseeing in the area when we aren't watching the Open? [b]This is the hard bit as everywhere will be very busy. St Andrews isn't the biggest place in the world. There are a few good bars/restaurants etc The new/Jubilee Clubhouse has nice food with lovely views over the courses. Whether it is open during the open i'm not sure. One bar you MUST go into during The Open is up on the corner from the R&A opposite Auchterlonies. THe name is just not coming to me. it's only small but a must!!!!
Sightseeing.... lol. Ok there's the R&A Museum... Sealife centre.... the ruins and that's about it. But St Andrews is a town that is really nice to walk around.[/b]
3) We are trying to manage without a car until we leave for the Highlands. Is there a shuttle service of some sort to the courses in the St. Andrews "complex?" Are taxis plentiful? If we want to go outside of town (Crail, for example) is it feasible to take a bus (with clubs) or do we need a taxi? Is the bus station in St. Andrews close to the Old Course? [b]You may be able to get to the Dukes by a shuttle bus from the Old Course Hotel... BUT I'm not sure if that is for residents only. I think there will be taxis from all around working up there at that time.[/b] [b]You can get a bus from St Andrews to Crail. and it would be approx. 5-10 minutes walk to the clubhouse.probably less than that to get to the bus station from the R&A[/b].
4) Is the best way to get to St. Andrews from Edinburgh the train (and a cab) or a bus? [b]Yes you get a train to Leuchars from Edinburgh then a taxi into the town[/b]
5) I know I want to play the Balcomie course at Crail. Others I am considering are the Dukes, the Castle Course, Ladybank, Lundin Links, the New Course, and Kingsbarns. Any suggestions or rankings? We will put in each day for the Old Course lottery. Any other suggestions for getting on the Old Course would be appreciated. If it matter re: your advice, our handicaps range from 5-12. [b] If i was putting them in the order i'd play them in it would be Kingsbarns, New Course, Ladybank, Lundin(IF you had said Leven Links i'd have put that ahead of Ladybank) Then the Dukes. I can't comment on the Castle course as i haven't played it. I'll put a few more courses in the area on your radar(If you don't mind) Not far from St Andrews is Scotscraig(Quite similar to Ladybank) which is like an inland links course. Downfield in Dundee(Parkland). The Carnoustie courses aren't that far away through Dundee. Just past there you have Letham Grange Old Course. And if you go a bit further there's Montrose Medal - A very good old links course. I could go on of course!! [/b]
6) There appears to be one car rental firm in St. Andrews. (St. Andrews Car Rental). Anyone know it? [b] Check Dundee for Hire Cars. Not far away From St Andrews[/b].
7) Royal Dornoch is the only course I have played in Scotland- I made a "pilgrimage" up there from Oxford several years ago by train and bus and played two wonderful rounds with rented clubs. I can't wait to play the course with my friends. It's a magical place to me. Other courses I am considering in the area for week #2 are: Nairn, Brora, Moray Old, Boat of Garten, Spey Valley, Castle Stuart. Again, reviews, suggestions and rankings would be greatly appreciated. [b]I've played Spey Valley and BoG -Both very good and extremely scenic. Have heard that you won't find much better than Castle Stuart anywhere. And Royal Dornoch is praised highly by those i know who have played it. I've also heard people say Nairn and Moray old are quality courses.[/b]
8) What else should I be asking about? [b]Directions and Whisky ;) If you come back down the A9 to Edinburgh, and have time, stop off in Dunfermline for a game at my course Pitreavie. A nice relaxing shortish MacKenzie track[/b]

Thanks so much.[/quote]

any other questions/ facts required give me a shout.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
58 Ping Tour S
Rife Bimini[/font][/size]

I forgot to put point c into question 1.... Please be aware that there is a Legends thing on the wednesday evening. Past Champions playing a few holes. Most importantly Senor Ballesteros MAY come to St Andrews for an appearance. :partytime2:

58 Ping Tour S

[quote name='bunter101' post='2137914' date='Dec 21 2009, 10:11 PM'][b] One bar you MUST go into during The Open is up on the corner from the R&A opposite Auchterlonies. THe name is just not coming to me. it's only small but a must!!!![/b][/quote]
The Dunvegan pub?

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Yep that's the one Tiger jr. It was about three in the morning here and my brain wasn't coming out of first gear. :wacko:

58 Ping Tour S

I agree with Bunter101 re courses. A lot depends on if you are looking only for the links experience, Kingsbarns is a great course but is expensive and overplayed. Dukes would be last on my St Andrews list, the Castle was being criticized for a lot of blind tee shots, but I haven't played it. You could add in Elie, nice old course. If you get to the Carnoustie side, Panmure (fantastic greens) and Monifieth Medal are definitely worth playing. Up north, you could look at Tain, but Dornoch is possibly my favorite course to visit. Nairn West (I think) has possibly the fastest greens in Scotland, like putting on a turned over saucer.

I live in Canada but play 20+ games in the areas you are talking about every year.

As for getting around without a car, doable but not convenient. I would think you'd end up in a lot of taxis.

Good luck and enjoy the Kummel

Bunter10, Panmure & Tigerjr,

Thanks very much for the excellent advice. My friends may want to avoid Kingsbarns because of the price, so Elie might be a good alternative. I love links courses, but my friends may want some variety- maybe I'll avoid Dukes based on your advice. Sorry to hear the new Castle course is getting mixed reviews. I will look at Leven Links based on your ranking it above Lundin. If yo don't mind, I may ask for some more advice as the time gets closer.
Panmure- I envy you making the trip every year. I would love to do that if i could find the $$ and friends who would join me.
Thanks again. Happy holidays.

• 2 weeks later...

By the sounds of things you are going to have a wonderful trip! St Andrews will be such an epic atmosphere. Even if you are in St Andrews and The Open isn't on, just the experience is amazing. Knowing the best players in the history of golf have been there. You will have an amazing time!
In regards to golf courses: you have SO many to choose from! In close proximity to St Andrews I would look no further than Kingsbarns. Yes it seems expensive but to play a golf course that is only 10 years of age and is already a course that is used in the Dunhill Links Championship. You will NOT be disappointed! Some of the views that you see from the back nine are brilliant. The par 3 15th hole is one of the best par 3's that you will ever play!
When you are on your second week and make the journey up North to the Highlands you are into a golfers dream! The golf courses that there is to choose from is crazy! Just to name a few: Moray Old, Nairn West, Royal Dornoch and Brora. From what I have read above, you know about the newly opened, Castle Stuart. Belmullet you CANNOT go home and not play this golf course!! When you play the course you will be blown away! The views are breath taking! You would pay the money just to see the views! But the main part...the golf course. With the course opening in July 2009 its is very new, but when you play it you would think that it has been there for hundreds of years. The layout is superb. The thought into the making of this golf course is unreal.
Hope this helps, all the best on your trip.

Hey loverofgolf,

Your screen name sounds quite appropriate- and I appreciate your enthusiastic advice. I am going to do everything I can to convince my cheapskate friends (said affectionately) to play both Kingsbarns and Castle Stuart. In fact, I may try to play Kingsbarns during the week of the Open by myself. My friends don't arrive until the last day of the Open. Can't wait...

• 4 weeks later...

The jubilee in St Andrews is also a good course, but quite tough.

if you get the bus from St Andrews to Crail it will drop you in Crail town centre, which is actually quite a walk to the golf club, i would consider getting a taxi, either from Crail or St Andrews.

The Castle Course, in my opinion, is very tricky and takes a few visits to enjoy, many people really dislike it on first sight, if i were you i'd save the money or play the Old twice.

With regards to the open, St Andrews is not the best venue for spectating, and it will be very busy on the weekend, practice days are definitely the best if there is someone you particularly want to see.

Try the Russell hotel, nice bar and good food too, it's on the scores, the road on the clifftop, kind of an extension of the 1st/18th fairway

When you travel up north there are many great courses along the way, royal aberdeen, cruden bay, nairn.

Enjoy the trip.

Grant7,

Thank you very much for the solid advice. I think we will try the Jubilee over the Castle. We will probably put in for the Old Course lottery every day and just play it when we can. I know I want to play the Balcomie course so the advice on taxi over bus is very helpful. I would assume that would apply to other area courses as well, such as Elie or Kingsbarns? Thanks again.
Craig

The bus to Kingsbarns goes right past the entrance, if you ask the driver i'm sure he'll point it out to you. I don't know about Elie, sorry.

If you don't make the ballot, which is definitely a possibility that week, you can wait and join up as a single if a tee time isn't full, but that could make for a long day.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to East Scotland for the last seven years. It is a unique experience that gets even better if you aim for the best courses you can find. It's a Mekka for links golf.

Brora, Royal Dornoch, Nairn, Royal Aberdeen, Carnoustie, New Course , Jubilee Course, Kingsbarns are all great links courses. Dukes Course is great too, but I wouldn't call it a links course. Royal Dornoch is possibly our no#1 favourite but all of these are first grade pilgrim targets in more than one way. And they are all very different from each other.

Cruden Bay and Old Murray are right behind these as an experience and a golfing challenge goes. Montrose Medal is a notch behind those again golf wise, but the scenery makes up for it. Carnousties no#2 course Burnside and Struie Course (Dornoch no#2) are also really good courses.

We were a group of 6 that played Balcomie and Craighead last autumn. Craighead was OK but very ordinary. Balcomie was a big disappointment to tell the truth. Poor layout with too many short and easy holes and mediocre condition when we were there.

[quote name='bunter101' date='22 December 2009 - 03:11 AM' timestamp='1261451489' post='2137914']
First of all hi and i'll try and give you as many answers as possible. They'll be inside your quote.[quote name='belmullet' post='2137117' date='Dec 21 2009, 07:47 PM']Hi all,

1) My wife and I are golfers but are novices at attending professional tournaments, let alone a major, let alone at St. Andrews. We have season tickets so will be there for all practice rounds (but no special grandstand tickets or anything like that.) Does anyone have any general advice for the best way to handle viewing a multi-day tournament or tips about where to position oneself on the Old Course? [b]This will be totally up to you, but as you have tickets for the practice days, use them. It's a) The best time to see the golfers a bit more, when they're a bit more relaxed too. b) You will be able to decide where you prefer watching.[/b]
2) Any suggestions for meals and sighteseeing in the area when we aren't watching the Open? [b]This is the hard bit as everywhere will be very busy. St Andrews isn't the biggest place in the world. There are a few good bars/restaurants etc The new/Jubilee Clubhouse has nice food with lovely views over the courses. Whether it is open during the open i'm not sure. One bar you MUST go into during The Open is up on the corner from the R&A opposite Auchterlonies. THe name is just not coming to me. it's only small but a must!!!!
Sightseeing.... lol. Ok there's the R&A Museum... Sealife centre.... the ruins and that's about it. But St Andrews is a town that is really nice to walk around.[/b]
3) We are trying to manage without a car until we leave for the Highlands. Is there a shuttle service of some sort to the courses in the St. Andrews "complex?" Are taxis plentiful? If we want to go outside of town (Crail, for example) is it feasible to take a bus (with clubs) or do we need a taxi? Is the bus station in St. Andrews close to the Old Course? [b]You may be able to get to the Dukes by a shuttle bus from the Old Course Hotel... BUT I'm not sure if that is for residents only. I think there will be taxis from all around working up there at that time.[/b] [b]You can get a bus from St Andrews to Crail. and it would be approx. 5-10 minutes walk to the clubhouse.probably less than that to get to the bus station from the R&A[/b].
4) Is the best way to get to St. Andrews from Edinburgh the train (and a cab) or a bus? [b]Yes you get a train to Leuchars from Edinburgh then a taxi into the town[/b]
5) I know I want to play the Balcomie course at Crail. Others I am considering are the Dukes, the Castle Course, Ladybank, Lundin Links, the New Course, and Kingsbarns. Any suggestions or rankings? We will put in each day for the Old Course lottery. Any other suggestions for getting on the Old Course would be appreciated. If it matter re: your advice, our handicaps range from 5-12. [b] If i was putting them in the order i'd play them in it would be Kingsbarns, New Course, Ladybank, Lundin(IF you had said Leven Links i'd have put that ahead of Ladybank) Then the Dukes. I can't comment on the Castle course as i haven't played it. I'll put a few more courses in the area on your radar(If you don't mind) Not far from St Andrews is Scotscraig(Quite similar to Ladybank) which is like an inland links course. Downfield in Dundee(Parkland). The Carnoustie courses aren't that far away through Dundee. Just past there you have Letham Grange Old Course. And if you go a bit further there's Montrose Medal - A very good old links course. I could go on of course!! [/b]
6) There appears to be one car rental firm in St. Andrews. (St. Andrews Car Rental). Anyone know it? [b] Check Dundee for Hire Cars. Not far away From St Andrews[/b].
7) Royal Dornoch is the only course I have played in Scotland- I made a "pilgrimage" up there from Oxford several years ago by train and bus and played two wonderful rounds with rented clubs. I can't wait to play the course with my friends. It's a magical place to me. Other courses I am considering in the area for week #2 are: Nairn, Brora, Moray Old, Boat of Garten, Spey Valley, Castle Stuart. Again, reviews, suggestions and rankings would be greatly appreciated. [b]I've played Spey Valley and BoG -Both very good and extremely scenic. Have heard that you won't find much better than Castle Stuart anywhere. And Royal Dornoch is praised highly by those i know who have played it. I've also heard people say Nairn and Moray old are quality courses.[/b]
8) What else should I be asking about? [b]Directions and Whisky ;) If you come back down the A9 to Edinburgh, and have time, stop off in Dunfermline for a game at my course Pitreavie. A nice relaxing shortish MacKenzie track[/b]

Thanks so much.[/quote]

any other questions/ facts required give me a shout.
[/quote]

The name of the pub your searching for is the Dunvegan, i used to be the assistant manager of 1 Golf Place which is just round the corner while i was at St Andrews University!

Edinburgh is an hour away from st andrews which is a £50 taxi ride, or £10 on the train. The train doesnt go direct to st andrews but stops at a station called Leuchars, which is a 10 minute taxi/bus ride away.

If you are staying in St Andrews or just outside St Andrews then a car isnt an absolute, taxis are relatively cheap if you arent too far from st andrews and if you are in st andrews everywhere is walkable!

The best restaurants are:
The Dolls House,
The Vine Leaf,
The Seafood Restaurant,
The Oak rooms restaurant
The New Balaka (Indian)

Best bars for food:
Ma Bells
The Oak rooms bar
1 Golf Place

St Andrews car rental are fine, though theyre the only one so they may be overpriced. You can hire cars at Edinburgh airport too, so depending on the logisitics it may be cheaper to hire a car and drive to St Andrews....about 45 minutes by car.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi to all who offered advice and other who are just interested,

The summer 2010 trip to Scotland is history! I can't say that my wife and I picked the best year to see the Open Championship, as there seemed to be no one who was willing to step up to challenge Louie O. My congratulations to him for four more than solid rounds of golf. Our apartment at 12 Golf Place (East Fife Letting Company- nice folks) was the perfect location. One block from the first tee and the street where all the Lexus hybrids drove down to drop off and pick-up players. The practice days were my favorites by far- you could take pictures, get close to the players, and get around the course easily. Tournament days were nice more for the overall spectacle. St. Andrews is a lovely town but is completely overwhelmed by so many people. It was hard to get dinner reservations, so one night we took a bus to Anstruther and ate at the Dreel Tavern (recommended) and another took a cab to the Kingarroch Inn in Carigrothie (near Cupar). I would also recommend it highly.

The week after the Open, my friends and I played Crail, Lundin Links, the Old Course and the Jubillee Course. Crail was a great first course to play- an old, classic links. Lundin was in great condition and the members were very friendly. The Old Course is what it is and I am very happy we won the ballot once and got to play it. I was even par until I tripled the 7th by hitting what I thought was a perfect 5 iron into the pot bunker in front of 11 green. We asked for caddies but didn't get any and a little local knowledge would have really helped with where and what to hit off the tees. But I liked the course a lot. The Jubillee was fun but not as memorable. We couldn't get on the New.

then it was North to Dornoch, where we played Royal Dornoch twice, Tain once, Boat of Garten once and Brora three times. Boat of Garten was a disappointment. A pretty layout, but looking a bit ragged when we played it. Tain also was nice but had too many holes which just seemed like you were playing through flat farmland instead of links. I don't mean to be too critical- it was still a nice day's golf. Dornoch is a wonderful course, but was starting to feel a bit like a golf factory to me- just too popular. Our favorite to a man was Brora- a wonderful old James Braid course in a small town 1/2 hour north of Dornoch. Don't miss it if you are up there. Sheep and cattle graze on the course and locals walk their dogs across the course to the beach. The club is intimate and very, very friendly. I would love to be a member there.

Our last two days were Turnberry and North Berwick. The trip from Dornoch to Turnberry was long but well worth it. We stayed at the Malin Court Hotel, a much cheaper alternative to the resort and played for the "twilight" greens fees of 90 pounds. It poured rain until 2 minutes before our tee time and then the clouds parted, the sun came out and we played one of the most beautiful courses in the world with a light wind on a beautiful Scottish evening. It was the highlight of the trip. Not only is Turnberry spectacularly beautiful, it is also a wonderful golf course with holes that are varied and challenging. I missed a hole in one by two inches which added more to the experience. North Berwick was also a great course- in town like the Old Course and definitely the center of the town's existence as a holiday community. The trip along the coast to get there is almost wall to wall courses, most of which are quite nice. I would love to go back there. Besides a weird first hole, North Berwick (West course) is a very nice links course with the added feature of stone walls that wander through some holes and come into play. We stayed at the Marine Hotel, an imposing old fortress that overlooks the links. Our dinner B&B rate was very reasonable and the service was excellent and friendly.

It was tough to come back to the real world. I only hope to be able to make the trip again in the next few years. Thanks again for the advice.