Tour Striker

filthee

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='bath4golf' timestamp='1299185558' post='3023203']
[quote name='Rocknik' timestamp='1299177379' post='3022792']
This may seems like a silly question but who knows..
I take little to no divot with my iron shots.. I typically make pretty solid contact though and by looking at this thing (just checked the website and I've seen it on TV) I don't think I'd have a prayer of hitting it well.
I don't scoop the ball per se and when i do take a divot it's really small, almsot like a grass burn more than a divot (occasionally I'll get a 2" divor or so). I play at about a 10 handicap and never had lessons so maybe a pro would tell me differently?
I've always tried to follow 2 theories when it comes to golf. K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Would hitting down on the ball give me more distance? probably, but I've never been starving for distance before as i hit my 8 iron about 155-160 which seems decent enough.

I guess my question is..

Is there the off chance that this club isn't for everyone? Or should everyone really be hitting that far down on the ball?

Thanks!
[/quote]

I see your point. there have been good "pickers" on the PGA Tour - Geoff Oglivy comes to mind. . . without seeing your swing, it's hard to be sure of the right answer, although an 8 iron hit 155-160 is close to tour caliber distance . . . you must be striking it solidily and with lag.

Let me ask you, do you play the ball down, or do you improve every lie . . . if you are improving your lie than you may not be aware of a scooping motion that you are "getting away with" as the ball is always somewhat "teed up".

If not, than you must have a great swing with a nice shallow bottom to it that allows a "pick" or brush of the ball . . .
[/quote]

Improve the lie!? That's sacrilegious brotha! haha, I play it where it lies.. but like most, prefer a cushy lie vs. a buried one..

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1299219833' post='3024841']
[quote name='Rocknik' timestamp='1299177379' post='3022792']
This may seems like a silly question but who knows..
I take little to no divot with my iron shots.. I typically make pretty solid contact though and by looking at this thing (just checked the website and I've seen it on TV) I don't think I'd have a prayer of hitting it well.
I don't scoop the ball per se and when i do take a divot it's really small, almsot like a grass burn more than a divot (occasionally I'll get a 2" divor or so). I play at about a 10 handicap and never had lessons so maybe a pro would tell me differently?
I've always tried to follow 2 theories when it comes to golf. K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Would hitting down on the ball give me more distance? probably, but I've never been starving for distance before as i hit my 8 iron about 155-160 which seems decent enough.

I guess my question is..

Is there the off chance that this club isn't for everyone? Or should everyone really be hitting that far down on the ball?

Thanks!
[/quote]

I don't want you to be steep! "Hitting Down" really only feels "down." If you are steep, that is another issue. Ideally, you will have a relatively shallow strike with forward lean. Forward lean and downward strike are different things. You can have foward lean and UPWARD strike, like long drive guys/gals too, it just doesn't work for irons;)

If you are a 10, you have a TON of room to improve. Not taking away anything from your accomplishments, but I bet the wind kicks your a** and you probably don't have great distance control.

Try it! If you don't like it, send it back.

Thanks for the interest.

[/quote]

I do have tons of room to improve and I'm always looking to.. The wind does kick my a** actually but when it's windy I just try to take a little more club choke down and play it back in the stance .. As far as distance control, I'm pretty accurate with my distances, unless you mean in the wind because then it becomes a guessing game..

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1299219940' post='3024846']
[quote name='JoofOC' timestamp='1299205859' post='3024170']
@ Bath & KenWiggins----thanks to both of you for the replies!

I took the TS out to the range again yesterday, and finally, something clicked! I just started to really exaggerate the motion of leading with my hands and trying to lag the clubhead, and all of a sudden, BAM! A well-struck, penetrating ball, traveling a good 15 yards beyond the 8 iron distance I've begrudgingly become accustomed to. I'm now able to duplicate the result with an increasing rate of success (now getting good contact on about 70% of my swings), and the gains have carried over to my regular irons as well. Can't wait to get out to a course and put this new swing to work.

Martin, this product is sheer genius. I'll be evangelizing your product to anyone who'll listen.
[/quote]

You crack me up! Thanks, I'm thrilled it has helped you.
[/quote]
Ordered my Pro X 7 today, can't wait to get to work with it!

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

so I tried ordering a tour striker off of Golfsmith. I was ordering a few dozen penta practice balls and decided it was time to pull the trigger. I ordered this the first week of Feb. and delivery was scheduled for next week. To make a long story short, no delivery in feb.,( they gave me 3 seperate days it was scheduled to be delivered) and no delivery on March 3rd (the day they told me it would be delivered) and now after calling them because I have not heard anything I find out it is back ordered until the 23 of March.

Where can I order this so that I do not experience the same issue? Is demand so strong everyone is short or is this just a one company thing?

[quote name='bgeezy45' timestamp='1299337198' post='3027894']
so I tried ordering a tour striker off of Golfsmith. I was ordering a few dozen penta practice balls and decided it was time to pull the trigger. I ordered this the first week of Feb. and delivery was scheduled for next week. To make a long story short, no delivery in feb.,( they gave me 3 seperate days it was scheduled to be delivered) and no delivery on March 3rd (the day they told me it would be delivered) and now after calling them because I have not heard anything I find out it is back ordered until the 23 of March.

Where can I order this so that I do not experience the same issue? Is demand so strong everyone is short or is this just a one company thing?
[/quote]

Hey bgeezy, I orderd my TS Pro X 7 from the Tour Striker website, [url="http://www.tourstriker.com"]www.tourstriker.com[/url], last Saturday, and I had it on Wednesday. It only takes 2-3 business days to deliver via USPS, so I would cancel your order with Golfsmith and order directly from Tour Striker. Or if you have a Golf Galaxy in your area, I have seen them in stock at their stores, but I only saw the 8 iron in stock. Not sure what model you are looking to get.

Good luck.

-Jeff

First time at the DOME today - what the Tour Striker re-inforces is proper impact mechanics - a well sequenced pivot, properly loaded lag and a full transition thru the impact area will result in a well struck shot. It forced me to slow down a little and feel like I was pulling the handle thru impact/finish to my left side. The mechanical aspects of hitting the Tour Striker transfers to your 'real' clubs immediately. I'm very impressed with the product and feel it's a great tool for players who struggle to maintain their lag, cast early, try to help the ball up, have trouble with rotation and finishing their swing (all issues that I've dealt with recently). The 3 worm burners that I hit was because I quit on the shot and the arms simply took over flipping the bounce to the ball, very bad.

the DVD that comes with the club should be mandatory viewing for all golfers, it's basic and to the point without cluttering the golfers mind with BS about certain positions/angles/theories and the like, having played and watched golf for over 30 years, there's only 1 constant and that's a proper impact position, how you get there is up to you as evidenced by the numerous swings on the pro circuit. The Tour Striker will tell you immediately if you're delivering the club with forward shaft lean, I don't think you can cheat if you play the ball in it's proper position.

this club will become part of my practice sessions and round warm ups

I can't wait for some of my golfing 'flipper' buddies to try it.

cheers on a great product.

In the video on the website he draws an X about a foot, maybe foot and a half, infront of the ball. Is this where he was instructing you look? Or is the goal to just visualize your hands there?

I understand the concept of forward shaft lean and can tell when it happens and doesn't happen. The only trick I've learned to instill it in myself is to focus on a spot on the grounda bout 2 inches infront of the ball as my swing seems to bottom out wherever i'm staring. It doesn't always work though so anything else I can think to do to make this more frequent/easier would be fantastic.

Ordered the Pro X and tested it out on the range for the first time yesterday. Was expecting a brutal session, but managed to keep most balls off the ground and on the same height as my normal irons from the mats. The club is great and give instant and sometimes brutal feedback when getting sloppy with the lag. Drilled one line drive straight into a flagstick about 50 yards out, thought it would snap the pin and the sound turned heads on the range. For the Pro X, one huge benefit I found is that it keep me alert, as sometimes I tend to get into "grinding-mode" and just slap balls without any thought on the range.

Some of the straight shots had a trajectory where they would launch normally or slightly high, but then nose-dive after 100-120 yards. Like there was very little backspin to them. Where on the clubface would produce this kind of shot? Im guessing sweetspot height but slightly on either heel or toe, not getting grooves on the whole ball? Was expecting the feedback for these shots to be more pronounced if this is the case. Did anyone else have the same experience with the Pro X?

The balls at the range I'm using are very bad, but my normal irons do not have that trajectory with those same balls. Only time I've seen it before is on high and toe-side hits from fluffy rough lies. But I doubt that I am contacting high on the face with the Tour striker...

Thanks for a great product Martin!

[quote name='SPY ZINGER' timestamp='1299300137' post='3027282']
Is Tour Striker set up to take paypal as payment? Going to order one!
[/quote]

Yes we take PayPal. Thanks for the interest!

[quote name='bgeezy45' timestamp='1299337198' post='3027894']

[/quote]

www.tourstriker.com

The training video is on there for free, too!

[quote name='pggolf66' timestamp='1299356468' post='3028533']
First time at the DOME today - what the Tour Striker re-inforces is proper impact mechanics - a well sequenced pivot, properly loaded lag and a full transition thru the impact area will result in a well struck shot. It forced me to slow down a little and feel like I was pulling the handle thru impact/finish to my left side. The mechanical aspects of hitting the Tour Striker transfers to your 'real' clubs immediately. I'm very impressed with the product and feel it's a great tool for players who struggle to maintain their lag, cast early, try to help the ball up, have trouble with rotation and finishing their swing (all issues that I've dealt with recently). The 3 worm burners that I hit was because I quit on the shot and the arms simply took over flipping the bounce to the ball, very bad.

the DVD that comes with the club should be mandatory viewing for all golfers, it's basic and to the point without cluttering the golfers mind with BS about certain positions/angles/theories and the like, having played and watched golf for over 30 years, there's only 1 constant and that's a proper impact position, how you get there is up to you as evidenced by the numerous swings on the pro circuit. The Tour Striker will tell you immediately if you're delivering the club with forward shaft lean, I don't think you can cheat if you play the ball in it's proper position.

this club will become part of my practice sessions and round warm ups

I can't wait for some of my golfing 'flipper' buddies to try it.

cheers on a great product.
[/quote]

:) Glad you like it!

[quote name='nickrut' timestamp='1299367112' post='3028872']
In the video on the website he draws an X about a foot, maybe foot and a half, infront of the ball. Is this where he was instructing you look? Or is the goal to just visualize your hands there?

I understand the concept of forward shaft lean and can tell when it happens and doesn't happen. The only trick I've learned to instill it in myself is to focus on a spot on the grounda bout 2 inches infront of the ball as my swing seems to bottom out wherever i'm staring. It doesn't always work though so anything else I can think to do to make this more frequent/easier would be fantastic.
[/quote]

That's called "aiming point" technique, a common practice in TGM circles. Basically, that point or x on the ground is where you deliver your hands to during the downswing so you have the correct lean and downward strike. So many folks try and deliver their hands "back where they started...." and flip it. As Bobby Clampett says, "Load the lag and lag the load." The load is delivered to a much different place than address.

[quote name='McBogga' timestamp='1299377259' post='3029194']
Ordered the Pro X and tested it out on the range for the first time yesterday. Was expecting a brutal session, but managed to keep most balls off the ground and on the same height as my normal irons from the mats. The club is great and give instant and sometimes brutal feedback when getting sloppy with the lag. Drilled one line drive straight into a flagstick about 50 yards out, thought it would snap the pin and the sound turned heads on the range. For the Pro X, one huge benefit I found is that it keep me alert, as sometimes I tend to get into "grinding-mode" and just slap balls without any thought on the range.

Some of the straight shots had a trajectory where they would launch normally or slightly high, but then nose-dive after 100-120 yards. Like there was very little backspin to them. Where on the clubface would produce this kind of shot? Im guessing sweetspot height but slightly on either heel or toe, not getting grooves on the whole ball? Was expecting the feedback for these shots to be more pronounced if this is the case. Did anyone else have the same experience with the Pro X?

The balls at the range I'm using are very bad, but my normal irons do not have that trajectory with those same balls. Only time I've seen it before is on high and toe-side hits from fluffy rough lies. But I doubt that I am contacting high on the face with the Tour striker...

Thanks for a great product Martin!
[/quote]

Sweet strikes come from the second groove. You don't want to hit the middle of the TS face. The middle is too high and can only be hit if you are in long grass, chunk it or are on a fluffy mat. Don't try and hit down too much. The AoA is rather shallow; four to five degrees is perfect. It's the shaft lean that makes all the difference. Think "shallow" with shaft lean and you'll hit most all of your shot really pure.

[quote name='ghb' timestamp='1299400692' post='3029830']
Martin,

Just tried to order a Pro 7 from your website and both the steel and graphite in a right-handed regular flex seem to be out of stock. Any idea when they might be available?

Thanks!
[/quote]

I apologize if this is a dup. Is it me or is GolfWrx a little glitchy these days.

We have them is stock. Call my wife, we'll take care of you. 541 390 7324. Take care and thanks for the interest.

Martin

Guys, I have the Tour Tempo method of swinging if you ever heard of it ( www.tourtempo.com ) Is it like a replacement for the Tour Striker? Because it seems like you have to swing fast enough on the downswing to lag it properly at the right time. Is it a good idea to combine the Tour Striker with Tour Tempo and Swing Machine Golf ( www.swingmachinegolf.com )? (And yes, Martin, this is the same freshman that sent you that email of donating the Tour Striker(s) to my high school varsity team so you couldn't damage my Amateur status)

I'm a fan of Tour Tempo. I've been recording video for some time and always look at the meter when reviewing students. I know most of you will think I'm "like Charlie Sheen," but I help more people be speeding up their backswing so it reciprocates better with their down swing. John Novosel has done some great work.

Hope all is well, Frankie!

Hi Martin,

I stopped by Golfsmith today to try out the Tour Striker. I hit 10 balls with the Pro 7 iron and hit everyone well. Only when I intentionally tried to "pick" the ball did I hit a worm burner. I tried the tightest of lies on the mat. Would you recommend a x7 or stay with the 7 because I wasn't hitting off of grass? BTW, I normally hit an 8 iron 155 yards with a slight draw. Driver swing speed 103-108.

Jim

Hello Martin, thanks for the kind answer, and I have some bad news for my golf team: the team's already wasted $2000 off of greens fees for every course, range balls, etc. We're fundraising to raise money and we need sponsors to help us raise money or pay us. If we're not successful, the team may have to break up. So can you sponsor us? I think it's a great idea to have the company of Tour Striker sponsor us to help us fundraise enough money to not break up. I'll tell you more about how to sponsor us, you can send me an email about how to do it, our coach put the fundraising and sponsor in a team sponsoring website, I'll tell you more about it if you accept and send me the email first.

I was interested in purchasing the TS pro 7 iron but wanted to know if there was going to be some kind of combo or promotion down the road with the accelerator or special instructional DVD. Basically what I am asking is, would it be a good time to buy now or wait for the next latest and greatest version?

oh, has anyone purchased the wedge after they have tried the 7 or 8 iron?

thanks in advance

[quote name='mul1gan' timestamp='1299722108' post='3042154']
I was interested in purchasing the TS pro 7 iron but wanted to know if there was going to be some kind of combo or promotion down the road with the accelerator or special instructional DVD. Basically what I am asking is, would it be a good time to buy now or wait for the next latest and greatest version?

thanks in advance
[/quote]

I have the 7 iron and the wedge - the wedge is great for hitting balls in my basement as I can't make a full out swing which I feel is necessary to lag the 7iron properly . . . both are great and any version will help . . . if you're a single digit handicap, the harder TS the better

Thanks Ed, so now Im thinking I should try the 5 iron, I assume that is harder then the TS7pro but easier then the 7x pro.

One more question and I might be stating the obvious. Ive seen many ordering special length and lie, being pretty much std L/L/L, would I just go with the std/std, or would the shape and bounce of the club force me to get something different?

thanks

Just finished my first range session with my new Tour Striker 8 iron. I'll get to my results, but here's my background...

I'm a mid teen handicap. I haven't played a round since November. I'm a very inconsistent mid capper, as I can shoot in the mid 80s one day and a 99 the next. All last year I was fighting a hook. My first two range sessions this year(in the last week), the hook was there in force.

So, after warming up with some short irons, I started hitting the TS. The first shot got in the air just fine, but the hook was there. I was immediately thinking "Guess, I don't have problem getting hands forward and compressing the ball." But what about the hook? It took me three more shots to realize just what was going on... my body wasn't rotating enough. Specifically, my hips weren't clearing and even if my hands were ahead at impact, the face was closing. After a few more shots I had the ball flying decently right on or just right of the target line. The misses were now a slight block.

I transitioned to the regular eight iron and the hook showed up a few times, but I would actually call it more of a slight pull draw, not a hook. But I was able to transfer the feel of good rotation and clearing that the TS made me do. I hit shots that I would gladly take to any round with both my 8 iron and my 3 wood.

All in all, I'm impressed. I hope it sticks and there's no honeymoon affect.

[quote name='mcmski' timestamp='1299566181' post='3036008']
How are you like Charlie Sheen? Do you have Tiger Blood and Adonis DNA? Would it help my golf game if I got some?
[/quote]

Bad joke. Charlie Sheen is a train wreck. I hope he sorts things out.

My comment was more about getting students to speed up their backswing; most every golfer feels like they are "too fast," when in fact they could benefit from getting faster during their backswing so the transition to the downswing makes more sense.

[quote name='BBBB' timestamp='1299628206' post='3038133']
Hi Martin,

I stopped by Golfsmith today to try out the Tour Striker. I hit 10 balls with the Pro 7 iron and hit everyone well. Only when I intentionally tried to "pick" the ball did I hit a worm burner. I tried the tightest of lies on the mat. Would you recommend a x7 or stay with the 7 because I wasn't hitting off of grass? BTW, I normally hit an 8 iron 155 yards with a slight draw. Driver swing speed 103-108.

Jim
[/quote]

Mats are fine, but closely mown turf is the true test. You'd do well with the 7x. Thanks for the question.

[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1299638705' post='3038662']
Hello Martin, thanks for the kind answer, and I have some bad news for my golf team: the team's already wasted $2000 off of greens fees for every course, range balls, etc. We're fundraising to raise money and we need sponsors to help us raise money or pay us. If we're not successful, the team may have to break up. So can you sponsor us? I think it's a great idea to have the company of Tour Striker sponsor us to help us fundraise enough money to not break up. I'll tell you more about how to sponsor us, you can send me an email about how to do it, our coach put the fundraising and sponsor in a team sponsoring website, I'll tell you more about it if you accept and send me the email first.
[/quote]

[email protected]

I'll take a look.

[quote name='mul1gan' timestamp='1299722108' post='3042154']

thanks in advance
[/quote]

Presently we offer free shipping on two clubs and and for three, 30% off the third plus free shipping.

We'll have some deals on the website. Not sure when or what. I defer to the marketing guys on that stuff.

As far as the club, the models won't change. So if you are interested in the product, get one. When I launch the "Accelerator," which I can't call it by the way do to trademark issues (I'll call it something else), I will send a blast to all current purchasers with discount option.

Thanks for the question!