2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Tour Striker

filthee

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1296452891' post='2939168']
The PGA Show....

So I have to share this:

I introduced my new gizmo, The Tour Striker Accelerator. The raised eyebrows were amazing. I walked through the basics of what the thing does, but when I showed the top guys the "Inside Out" drill, I had a ton of "WOOOOOOWWWS." I'm going to send off the protos to the guys who won a unit last week and hopefully they chime in with their thoughts.

Have a good night,

Martin
[/quote]

Hey Martin,
Can't wait to see Accelerator and get my hands on it . . . . .what and when can i expect it.
Thanks,
Ed

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered a TSWedge yesterday, and look forward to receiving it. I really like hitting the TSPro and the feedback I receive. I had a quick question about reshafting the wedge. I have some Royal Precision wedge shafts at home that match my irons, and was wondering about using those in the wedge. They are .355, and I thought I read previously that the TS is a .370. Would installing the shaft with a shim affect it negatively. It's really no problem if I leave it as it, but it's just a thought I'm having as I wait for it to come in. Thanks again for this great product!

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

[quote name='psd' timestamp='1296584795' post='2943070']
Hi. Will it be obvious to the student how your new product will differentiate itself from the Swingyde?
[/quote]

They are two different swing aids. the swingyde is a yellow shaft attachment that ensures a proper wrist hinge in the backswing . . . . the tour striker is a training club that makes you lag the club into the proper impact position providing a forward shaft lean and a divot that starts in front of the ball. see pics below:

[quote name='bath4golf' timestamp='1296591637' post='2943402']
Hi. Will it be obvious to the student how your new product will differentiate itself from the Swingyde?
[/quote]

They are two different swing aids. the swingyde is a yellow shaft attachment that ensures a proper wrist hinge in the backswing . . . . the tour striker is a training club that makes you lag the club into the proper impact position providing a forward shaft lean and a divot that starts in front of the ball. see pics below:
[/quote]

Accelerators -> Swing Guide

is what was meant. Martin is coming out with a new device we are excited about.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1296591860' post='2943417']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Kevin
[/quote]

Ok Kevin . . . . I'm excited too - I was one of the lucky mugs picked to get a free TS Accelorator - sounds like it's going to train your hands to feel the proper impact position.

[quote name='bath4golf' timestamp='1296592259' post='2943437']
[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1296591860' post='2943417']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Kevin
[/quote]

Ok Kevin . . . . I'm excited too - I was one of the lucky mugs picked to get a free TS Accelorator - sounds like it's going to train your hands to feel the proper impact position.
[/quote]

[b]COOL!!![/b]

I will look forward to hearing your thoughts. :drinks:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I think I used to hit the tour striker on too soft of mats. I'm excited to try it on a board. I had flipped forever and recently cured it (was due to hand position at top)....but in the past, I did find that I could still time a flip with the tsp. It would take longer than with a regular club, obviously...but I could do it. I think that accelerator is gonna be sweet though. good luck, cmartin. With all that said, the TS is still an unreal product. Now that I'm cured of flipping, it's still great to hit with to groove that penetrating ballflight. What an awesome idea this thing was.

[quote name='stoic' timestamp='1296594793' post='2943554']
I think I used to hit the tour striker on too soft of mats. I'm excited to try it on a board. I had flipped forever and recently cured it (was due to hand position at top)....but in the past, I did find that I could still time a flip with the tsp. It would take longer than with a regular club, obviously...but I could do it. I think that accelerator is gonna be sweet though. good luck, cmartin. With all that said, the TS is still an unreal product. Now that I'm cured of flipping, it's still great to hit with to groove that penetrating ballflight. What an awesome idea this thing was.
[/quote]

I'm curious . . . what was it about your hand position at the top that caused you to flip at the bottom? Also, how did you fix/cure it?

Regards,
Ed

[quote name='bath4golf' timestamp='1296604687' post='2944051']
[/quote]

I'm curious . . . what was it about your hand position at the top that caused you to flip at the bottom? Also, how did you fix/cure it?

Regards,
Ed
[/quote]

Ha. Explanations of the exact mechanics of all of it would probably best be left to mr. martin up there...however, I will do my best. I struggled with a flip/closed hips bs for 3 years. I devoured every bit of literature on the internet, every anti flip/anti closed hips at impact drill on youtube, read Clampett's book, read Texarkana, bought every Brian Manzella dvd, saw Brian Manzella for 4 hours, bought every training aid, ...none of it worked for my particular problem. It's all great, but no "drag the grass" "impact bag" "towel drag" stuff meant a thing when it came to my particular "aha" moment.

The best I can explain it is that I never quite got my hands and club head rotated to the precise enough position at the top that allowed me to leave my hands and arms loose to be able to just "let them go" and pull down with my hips as hard as I could. Basically...where it's at now (compared to before) [i]feels [/i]laid off, my left wrist is flatter, my right hand is "holding the tray", and I don't even think about or feel diddly with my hands on the way down anymore. My body rotates, hips open up, the club is way behind me and squares up by itself. In the past, I tried zillions of grips, takeaways, shoulder angles/alignments, forward set up position with strong/weak, adjusted impact with strong/weak. It was all bullxxxx. I can get to this top position with any of them now and still not flip.

Before, with every one of my different top positions, my hands would be "fighting" where the clubhead naturally wanted to take itself...and because I didn't trust it, i'd tense up..still rely on my hands to square up the clubface, and my body had to stall for them to sync up.

Personally, I think I got lucky. If I didn't find that position at the top by chance, there isn't any reason I couldn't have struggled with this for 3 more years. I first made a commitment to take my active hands and fingers out of the equation (that was tough) and stumbled upon one position I tried out up there (of thousands)...made an effort to lead with my hips with languid loose arms, and the clubhead squared up on its own. I knew immediately that I had it after one swing. I went out and got blitzed with my brother to celebrate.

The most important thing I would tell anyone getting over a flip is to make a 100% total commitment to keeping tense hands and arms out of the equation. If your fingers [i]feel [/i]like they're actively doing something on the way to the ball, something's screwed up and you don't got it. There is no "holding the lag". There is no "keeping your right wrist bent". There is no " finger pressure point". There is no "knee rotation/hip level position to start your transition" that will make it all click. The reason why...is because that's all sh/t that happens on it's own...but only when you're swinging loose, free and right. The second thing I'd recommend is getting a net to hit into at your house. There is no way I'd have figured this out one bucket at a time every other day on a range (with people watching). You need seclusion...where you won't be embarrassed of resultant shanks and squibblers while you toy with different feels at the top with loose hands and arms. If people are watching, the temptation is too strong to [i]use [/i]your hands to square up the clubface so you can make decent contact and not look like a moron. And every swing you make with your hands in the equation is exactly what keeps you flipping and stalling your hips.

I suck at putting it in words. I'm sorry, I tried. . I just know that it has nothing to do with 95% of the "anti flip" stuff that's out there. Your best bet is to find someone who's gotten over a flip. I've seen top 100 teachers and they were confidently guessing. They didn't know d/ck about getting over a flip...they'd just regurgitate all the stuff they'd heard works for others. I honestly don't know how anyone who hasn't been through it can articulate "wrong sensations" they've never felt before. With that said, I do think cmartin, and tex (from what I've read/seen) are probably the best 2 out there who'd give you the best shot.

Good luck.

[quote name='stoic' timestamp='1296615969' post='2944650']
[quote name='bath4golf' timestamp='1296604687' post='2944051']
[/quote]

Regards,
Ed
[/quote]

Ha. Explanations of the exact mechanics of all of it would probably best be left to mr. martin up there...however, I will do my best. I struggled with a flip/closed hips bs for 3 years. I devoured every bit of literature on the internet, every anti flip/anti closed hips at impact drill on youtube, read Clampett's book, read Texarkana, bought every Brian Manzella dvd, saw Brian Manzella for 4 hours, bought every training aid, ...none of it worked for my particular problem. It's all great, but no "drag the grass" "impact bag" "towel drag" stuff meant a thing when it came to my particular "aha" moment.

The best I can explain it is that I never quite got my hands and club head rotated to the precise enough position at the top that allowed me to leave my hands and arms loose to be able to just "let them go" and pull down with my hips as hard as I could. Basically...where it's at now (compared to before) [i]feels [/i]laid off, my left wrist is flatter, my right hand is "holding the tray", and I don't even think about or feel diddly with my hands on the way down anymore. My body rotates, hips open up, the club is way behind me and squares up by itself. In the past, I tried zillions of grips, takeaways, shoulder angles/alignments, forward set up position with strong/weak, adjusted impact with strong/weak. It was all bullxxxx. I can get to this top position with any of them now and still not flip.

Before, with every one of my different top positions, my hands would be "fighting" where the clubhead naturally wanted to take itself...and because I didn't trust it, i'd tense up..still rely on my hands to square up the clubface, and my body had to stall for them to sync up.

Personally, I think I got lucky. If I didn't find that position at the top by chance, there isn't any reason I couldn't have struggled with this for 3 more years. I first made a commitment to take my active hands and fingers out of the equation (that was tough) and stumbled upon one position I tried out up there (of thousands)...made an effort to lead with my hips with languid loose arms, and the clubhead squared up on its own. I knew immediately that I had it after one swing. I went out and got blitzed with my brother to celebrate.

The most important thing I would tell anyone getting over a flip is to make a 100% total commitment to keeping tense hands and arms out of the equation. If your fingers [i]feel [/i]like they're actively doing something on the way to the ball, something's screwed up and you don't got it. There is no "holding the lag". There is no "keeping your right wrist bent". There is no " finger pressure point". There is no "knee rotation/hip level position to start your transition" that will make it all click. The reason why...is because that's all sh/t that happens on it's own...but only when you're swinging loose, free and right. The second thing I'd recommend is getting a net to hit into at your house. There is no way I'd have figured this out one bucket at a time every other day on a range (with people watching). You need seclusion...where you won't be embarrassed of resultant shanks and squibblers while you toy with different feels at the top with loose hands and arms. If people are watching, the temptation is too strong to [i]use [/i]your hands to square up the clubface so you can make decent contact and not look like a moron. And every swing you make with your hands in the equation is exactly what keeps you flipping and stalling your hips.

I suck at putting it in words. I'm sorry, I tried. . I just know that it has nothing to do with 95% of the "anti flip" stuff that's out there. Your best bet is to find someone who's gotten over a flip. I've seen top 100 teachers and they were confidently guessing. They didn't know d/ck about getting over a flip...they'd just regurgitate all the stuff they'd heard works for others. I honestly don't know how anyone who hasn't been through it can articulate "wrong sensations" they've never felt before. With that said, I do think cmartin, and tex (from what I've read/seen) are probably the best 2 out there who'd give you the best shot.

Good luck.
[/quote]

Actually, I think your post was extremely well written and clear. Glad to hear of your success. If we weren't inundated with over 4 foot of snow I would go back to the range.

[quote name='jah7838' timestamp='1296582125' post='2942936']
I just ordered a TSWedge yesterday, and look forward to receiving it. I really like hitting the TSPro and the feedback I receive. I had a quick question about reshafting the wedge. I have some Royal Precision wedge shafts at home that match my irons, and was wondering about using those in the wedge. They are .355, and I thought I read previously that the TS is a .370. Would installing the shaft with a shim affect it negatively. It's really no problem if I leave it as it, but it's just a thought I'm having as I wait for it to come in. Thanks again for this great product!
[/quote]

Shim away!

[/quote]

It's a lot different. The Swingyde is great and has a lot of merit. Like the Swingyde, however, the Accelerator will require that folks pay some attention when using it. It will come with a DVD of drills and how to train with it.

[quote name='stoic' timestamp='1296618188' post='2944745']
Hey thanks man. That took a long time.
[/quote]

Stoic, great post. It's amazing all the stuff one has to do to be "natural" at golf:) My mentor, George Knudson, would always say how "passive" his hands were. Well, I say they were passive because he figured out, like you, how to arrange the face, hands and wrists through practice to where they could be passive. He had educated hands.

Here's the skinny on the Tour Striker Accelerator
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob1qfxwNHa8[/media]

Stoic. Great post. Right from the heart of the matter. And well spoken too. I must say that you are correct about passive hands. I think its just another paradox of golf that is hard to trust. Especially if you haven't trained your takeaway and set position properly in the backswing. That has been my problem. I'm gettin close tho. Passive hands on the forward swing from a cupped wrist in a bad position can be disastorius.

One revelation I had regarding a flat left wrist is it becomes a lot easier when you are on plane. On the 9 to 3 board I built I found it easy to maintain a flat left wrist well past impact. The TS plus an on plane swing will get you better.

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1296561196' post='2942254']

Can you go into more detail on your swing stop device? E.g. post some pictures etc?

[/quote]

Think goal post without the uprights. Two outer plastic pipes on spikes with a connecting plastic pipe on the top. I can unscrew the outer posts to break it down plus it isn't affected much by wind. I have an other idea in mind for this summer which will be much lighter and compact.

As for pictures, the storm that just whipped up across the mid-west just hit my area about an hour ago so I think pictures will be postponed until May. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Sushiyoshi' timestamp='1296672568' post='2946124']
Martin,

Will this help with an over the top swing?
[/quote]

Absolutely. It will give you feedback on why "YOU HAVE TO BE OVER THE TOP...." You don't go over the top because you want to. You do it to make up for another issue. That is what the Accelerator will help you figure out.

[quote name='dmac4g' timestamp='1296756312' post='2948837']
Martin,

Do you have an expected release date for the Accelerator? I have been checking the website daily with the hope it is going to pop up!

Thanks!
[/quote]

The units are on the slow boat!

Here's the plan, at least for today:)

I haven't shot the instruction DVD. We had some schedule challenges and it looks like we won't be able to do the supplemental drills/instruction shoot until early March. This gizmo is great, but folks have to know how to benefit from it and a DVD is the best format.

Let me verify with my partners on a [b]GolfWrx Special[/b] and I'll send anyone who buys an Accelerator a free link to download the DVD after it is done in six weeks. That way you can get it soon and don't have to wait for the DVD. In the meantime, I've developed a bit of copy and will add photos.

I'm thinking $20 plus some shipping.

Does that sound fair??

Oh, and to the guys who WON A FREE UNIT... I get them in hand on the 7th of Feb.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1296786648' post='2950043']
I just got off the phone with my partner and wife. They want to wait until the thing is 100% with the DVD. Sorry guys.

I'm still sending the winners one of the proto types when I get them.
[/quote]

Cmartin have you considered starting a tour striker academy throughout the country>?