2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Tour Striker

filthee

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin- thanks for all you do here. I am looking at the Tour Strikers and figuring out which one to get. I am a decent player (2 hcp) but ball striking has always been my weakness and I rely on my short game to get around. I don't have a massive flip at impact but my hands are not ahead of the ball, pretty much even with it. I do hit the ball first and take a divot after impact, but I have a high ball flight and I know I can get more distance and a more penetrating trajectory. I am leaning toward the 7 or the 7x but some people here (mostly in the slicefixer thread) swear by the wedge. I understand the point of if you can hit a sand wedge it will transfer through to the rest of the clubs, but I am just not sure. I don't want to say the wedge looks easy, but the face sure is a lot bigger than the 7 iron. Any suggestions?

Thanks

[quote name='word' timestamp='1319933312' post='3736645']
Martin- thanks for all you do here. I am looking at the Tour Strikers and figuring out which one to get. I am a decent player (2 hcp) but ball striking has always been my weakness and I rely on my short game to get around. I don't have a massive flip at impact but my hands are not ahead of the ball, pretty much even with it. I do hit the ball first and take a divot after impact, but I have a high ball flight and I know I can get more distance and a more penetrating trajectory. I am leaning toward the 7 or the 7x but some people here (mostly in the slicefixer thread) swear by the wedge. I understand the point of if you can hit a sand wedge it will transfer through to the rest of the clubs, but I am just not sure. I don't want to say the wedge looks easy, but the face sure is a lot bigger than the 7 iron. Any suggestions?

Thanks
[/quote]

Thanks for the interest. You would do well with the 7x from tight lies or rotten mats.

So I've just read through quite a few pages of this thread, and can I just say Martin, you are seriously an absolute legend (that's "great guy" and "top bloke" in Aussie speak ;))

Thanks for helping out so many golfers on this site with firstly your innovative (and frustrating) product, and then your enduring helpful tips, videos and posts.

Beers are on me if I ever drop by Arizona! :drinks:

[quote name='MerliSYD' timestamp='1319956798' post='3737563']
So I've just read through quite a few pages of this thread, and can I just say Martin, you are seriously an absolute legend (that's "great guy" and "top bloke" in Aussie speak ;))

Thanks for helping out so many golfers on this site with firstly your innovative (and frustrating) product, and then your enduring helpful tips, videos and posts.

Beers are on me if I ever drop by Arizona! :drinks:
[/quote]

I'll take you up on that! Thanks for the kind words.

[quote name='word' timestamp='1319982957' post='3737949']
Thanks Martin. So what exactly is the wedge geared towards?
[/quote]

Same thing; learning how to deliver the club with a little forward lean and downward strike. It works well at slow speeds so you don't have to make a full swing. It helps train chipping, pitching and half shots. Don't try and hit a flop:) Some guy across the green might need sports rub on his ankle.

Keep in mind a lot of shots around the green require that you "scrub" some speed and actually flip a bit, especially if you play on fast greens. The TS wedge is one dimensional in that you pretty much have to "strike" it and you can't massage it like you need to with your game wedge, but it does train in the "meat and potatoes."

[size="2"][b]Project Joey update.[/b] This time in full speed. Sorry about the delay. Bad weather and snow this weekend in Maryland. Unfortunately I dont have audio in this clip but will for the rest of them. Didnt have the setting enabled on the camera. Of course the drving range is next to the airport so it does get really, really loud when those 747s touch down. Anyway, tried to do exactly what Martin said. Mid body hand position at address and half swings. Trust me on this one, very difficult for me to do. Youll see it in the video that Im fighting my hands at address to put them in an impact condition at address and not at a a mid body or neutral position. Im also attempting to keep my right thumb on the left side of the shaft. Since I couldnt make it to the range until yesterday I have been practicing my half swings in my living room to get a feel for it. My ceiling is in need of some spackle now to say the least. I tried to blame the cat for the scuff marks on the ceiling but my wife did not buy it. I do have low ceilings in my house, right around 7 feet , so yes, pretty much like a hobbit house for me since Im 6'4''. Small price to pay however when you have a swing as gifted as mine, some might say my golf swing was touched by an angel, and others still sing folk songs of my swing in the Himalayas. I made about 1000 swings before going to the range yesterday and still cant seem to stop from flipping. The only way I was able to hit the ball was to totally relax my right hand and try to swing with my left hand. Like the analogy hit the ball with the back of your left hand. In the video since there was no sound , I put up a thumbs up for my good shots. They are far and few in between. Most of the shots were thin and clunky and several more were heavy and had a touch of a fade to them. The couple of good shots I hit also had a touch of a fade. My old swing had a draw to them. I can say on the several half swing shots that were hit good for me, went almost as far as my normal full swing shots. I was using a 5 iron so maybe I should use a shorter club next time. I am wondering if I should get something for my left wrist to force it in a flat condition. A cast comes to mind. Also, why cant you address the ball in an impact condition? I mean if people can play cross handed,flip at the ball, have a Furyk swing , or address the ball like Mo Norman, why not address the ball in an impact condition? In all seriusness, thanks for all your help and time Martin, and I assume that Ill be on lesson 1 for quite some time. [/size]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2lWsbfWvPY[/media]

Looking forward to hearing Martin's feedback, but Joe, that looks [u][b]much[/b][/u] better than the prior videos - well done.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Cleveland Smart Sole GW, SW

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okJph7GtTss[/media]

Joey, well done! You have made big strides.

You are still "flippity do dah" and that is okay for now. You'll change your release when you know the club face isn't going to hit the ball dead right. We can change the face four ways: first you can modify your grip, second, you can modify how your wrists work or finally, you can do a combo of both grip and wrist modification. Oh, fourth, you can simply grip the club with the face 15* shut (+/-)

This video suggests part one of a grip adjustment. See the "V's" and the recommended change. You could play from where you are, but you'd have to adopt a lot of Arnold Palmer style "turn down" and not many peeps can do that.

Why shouldn't YOU start at impact? First, it wasn't really delivering the alignments you wanted. Second, the place you are starting in, your concept of impact, is not a static position. Impact is like Prince's name. It happens in motion.

The idea of "pinning" your left wrist is common, but isn't the way to go.

Here's where we will take you.

1. We'll get you organized over the ball like a common Tour Player.
2. We'll get the club face to path relationship organized so you don't have to flip the face square.

Please adjust the grip, keep the hands mid-body, get the right thumb across the shaft and keep the swings to parallel to the ground with a full hinge.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll post another range video.

Keep up the great work!

Martin

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1320280977' post='3752517']
Project Joey Lesson 1.2

Joey, per the video above you can see what I'd like you to do with your grip.

Here's another step along the road that I filmed with the help of my kids today.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjmQlBxd7Vs[/media]

[/quote]

Nice looking facility there!

Here's a shot with the Tour Striker PRO X 7

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjzOx3MeGDE&list=HL1320341122&feature=mh_lolz[/media]

Alright then. Here is my updated Joey 1.2 virtual online lesson thingamajig. The video is not good at all. My video software totally sucks. I need to find a better video editor program. Any way, Worked on stronger grip and flat right wrist at address. Keep right thumb on left side of shaft, hands in more mid body at address, or vs pointing more to my right shoulder and swings parallel to ground. You cant tell in the video because of the way I edited it but believe me my hands are at mid body. It should have audio as well but again the software Im using is not that good. Most of the shots were clunky and thin and a couple of fatties which is par for the course pardon the pun. They all did go straight however. I had no big draws like I used to which is good. They all had a baby draw or fade and Im nitpicking here that maybe they were 2-3 yards from my target. Also on the plus side I was constantly hitting the practice green. Very consistent with that for sure. I hit about 100 balls and literally 90 percent found my target. These were all also made with parallel swings or right for arm parallel to the ground. The funny part is the ball is going just as far as my full swings or very close. Im definitely still flippy so I can imagine when I compress that stupid little ball according to my calculations I should be able to take my pitching wedge from 100 to 200 yards probably. Again I graduated from the University of MD so math is not my strong suit. As always I look forward to the feedback, thanks.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcO7k_f7ECw[/media]

Joey, thanks for the update.

Don't worry about editing the film. Preferably, just film yourself hitting three or four shots in a row and talk about the feeling and quality of the strike. Take it slow and work through the process.

Here are my thoughts based on the above lesson.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULtSjiFqOlo[/media]

Update Project Joey 1.3. Thanks for all the input. Trust me on this one, Im trying to do exactly what you tell me. Had the best range session so far. Trying to keep the swings parallel but it is hard for me. I just want to smack the dimples off the ball. Hit about 150 balls tonight and the overwhelming majority were straight with a little draw. Hands in mid body address and vs toward my right shoulder with parallel swings. I don't have a problem making 1/2 swings on the way back but I have a hard time stopping my finish 1/2 way. Not sure why. Anyway, after watching Martins above video I really tried to [u]FULLY [/u]hinge my wrists on the back swing and keep my eyes on the ball or on the women 2 stalls over. The resaon I look back is to make sure my left wrist is flat. I was working on that before I came to this forum. I guess that is a habit Im in now but I did manage a few swings with my eyes clearly on old whitey. My swing thought now is simple and I came up with it after watching Big Ms video above. To really fully unequivocally hinge my wrists on the back swing and get my left wrist flat, I try to make my right hand knuckles touch my right forearm. That's the feeling Im trying for. And get ready for golf clinic like you have never seen.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbudc8_lZqU[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ8B9CFoeVk[/media]

Joey, you are doing awesome! This video will help a ton. Keep up the good work.

To those of you watching these clips. I have never met, nor have spoken to Joey. This "project" is proving fun for me and hopefully Joey. I think he is going to get one helluva lot better based on what he has done during this short time. The student makes the teacher look good:)

Joey, transporting your bent right arm will happen easier as you begin to introduce a little spin tilt away from the target.

How?

The hips start to work laterally over the left foot (feel like weight shift) prior to them rotating open.

This move will tilt your spin away from the target and you will be able to transport your angles (right elbow and and wrist) a little deeper prior to the line up of shaft and left arm.

Another live clip coming soon.

[quote name='JoeCool73' timestamp='1320408613' post='3758187']
Again I graduated from the University of MD so math is not my strong suit.
[/quote]

Come on now, all of us Terp alumni aren't so bad :beruo:

Seriously though, you're doing a great job and Martin is a super guy to work with so keep up the hard work and you'll be striping them down the middle in no time flat.

Your right Golfinova although did you see the Maryland Terp football uniforms. Ouch, the uniforms looked worse than the football team. Seriously thanks for all the encouragement guys, really. Im looking forward to more of Martins instruction and all the feedback. Hopefully I can coax my wife to shoot my swing tonight before we go out to get some better swings online and at a better angle. Although its a little cold for her, hopefully shell help me out. I mean the low tonight in Maryland is 31 degrees, that's not that bad. Hey what am I doing online, I should be hitting golf balls.

Well guys, here's a quick update on my case, without hacking attention from Project Joey, which btw is VERY informative.

Im kinda a little project with Martin as well, but off the board :)
Today was my second time with the TS, but in my second round of golf in the afternoon, played this morning at 7:00 AM shooting an 88, was really upset to be honest cause I kept on flipping the damned clubs.
In the afternoon round, I started warming up with the TS only, no other club was touched, and after 8 or 9 mishits, I decided to SLOW my tempo, to like super slow (or so I thought) its all mental anyways. And let me tell you that I had no idea I could hit a 7 iron (TS Pro 7 iron) to 200 yards, I hit around 50 more balls, having around 22 balls hit the 200 yards mark and some went over it... I was a bit skeptic, because the range had a bit of helping wind.

When I hit the first hole, I hit one massive driver to 292 yards, and I am like HOW???
All I did was take that same slow tempo into the round and all the clubs, I shot 82 missing some nice birdie putts, but well, putting has improved greatly, had 31 putts.
Anyways here's the drill down of the swing now:

Slow backswing
Start my downswing by moving a bit forward, clearing my hips, keeping my hands forward during the downswing, and continuing the swing, all the way.
The downside is, I am playing a bit of a power fade, because I am yet to release the club, but Im focusing first on my impact position, then the release.

Martin, thanks a lot for the tips and the video sent, I will keep you informed.

PS: I did not hit my 7 iron on the course trying to get 200 yards, I used my 4 iron and it worked perfectly :)

Martin: The hands training exercise where you c*ck / un-c*ck the wrists... I'm struggling with that. Is the "feel" on the follow-thru that of "holding on?" I'm trying to understand the manual un-c*ck thru the ball and I can't get it. I've always thought that trying to "hold on" was instant death for any repeatable golf swing, even trying to ingrain getting the proper impact alignment.

Any other color you can put around this? It must be difficult to explain how it should feel on an internet forum, and I do very much appreciate it.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Cleveland Smart Sole GW, SW

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Hey there mshills. From doing big Ms online videos so much now it seems to me that feel is an individual preference. I to use to try and hold, hold, hold that release because of my flipping right before impact. Since working with him I try to really hinge my wrists fully so I don't throw it away as much on the down swing. The feeling Im going for is trying to make my right knuckles touch my wright forearm on the back swing. I know this is impossible to do physically, but its the feeling Im going for. That seems to give me a flat left wrist in my back swing. On the downswing I don't try to hold on anymore, I just try to come through the ball. Hey Im no expert as you can tell from my videos for sure. But I can totally relate to what your saying as I am in the same boat as you. At the start of this Project Joey I was addressing the ball in an impact position. That is how much I would flip at the ball. The last video about spine tilt is exactly what I need to come into an impact position with the shaft leaning forward. Im not there yet however, still trying to make sure I hinge my wrists fully on the back swing and keep my thumb on the left side of the shaft. For me personally I cant seem to get the shaft to lean forward enough. Sorry I know this probably does not help much but Im sure some of the better guys on this forum will help you out. This forum is really helping me personally and thanks for all the support from everyone on here including some guy named Martin.

As you can see in my [b]Project Joey 1.5 [/b]video, I still struggle with these things I mentioned. The OCD behavior you see in between my swings is me trying to ingrain that muscle memory for hingeing and unhingeing my wirsts. Trying to make sure I get my left wrsit flat on the backswing and have a fully hinged right hand. For me this is a foreign feeling, still seeing how I used to address the club in an impact position. All these shots had a baby draw and felt good. Martin told me not to edit the videos for just the swings, leave it all in there. Hey I got to give the people what they want. And without further ado for your viewing pleasure, Project Joey 1.5 the uncut Obsessive Compulsive Disorder edition.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2UQfD8AdRI[/media]

P.S. The Golf Gods blew my camera over at the end of that video. I had it propped up on the top of the stall and leaning against a rubber tee I took out of the range mat. That last shot was one of my better ones. That is my luck I guess.

[quote name='mshills' timestamp='1320670323' post='3769693']
Martin: The hands training exercise where you c*ck / un-c*ck the wrists... I'm struggling with that. Is the "feel" on the follow-thru that of "holding on?" I'm trying to understand the manual un-c*ck thru the ball and I can't get it. I've always thought that trying to "hold on" was instant death for any repeatable golf swing, even trying to ingrain getting the proper impact alignment.

Any other color you can put around this? It must be difficult to explain how it should feel on an internet forum, and I do very much appreciate it.
[/quote]

Of course...

First, you have to keep in mind that this is a short shot. Sometimes I have students hit this shot with an obstacle in the distance they can't hit (my teaching building:)). Everyone over hits when they do these drills. I ask for 40 yards and students hit it 100.

Color: This "hand training" exercise is to emphasize the range of motion of the hands that WILL HOPEFULLY come naturally when you make a full swing. Keep in mind, a lot of people want NATURAL right away, but you TRAIN in natural. I start my clinics by juggling three balls. I have juggled for years and show people how easy it is to juggle three balls. I explain it simply and then pass the three balls to the closest student and ask them to juggle. Of course, they can't juggle (unless they are closet jugglers and I'm unaware of it). They look shocked that I would ask them to juggle, like it was open heart surgery or something. My point; here's a relatively simple task you don't expect to do, at normal speed if at all, yet golfers expect to move a club correctly at 90+ mph after a lesson:) The point of the short swings cocking and uncocking is this: fully uncock your left wrist WILL FLATTEN. No matter how bent it may be at address (based on your grip), if you completely uncock the wrist, it will flatten.

It is really a "pitching" distance length drill. I'll post a video of me hitting a bunch of these shots. When you have the "hand control" and know what they are doing, you can close your eyes and hit the shots fine. I'll show you what I mean.

Joey,

I haven't put this into my analysis software, but will download it later.

At first glance, you are basically hitting full shots. I don't mind if you have fun and hit 300 full shots, but for my review and comment, PLEASE hit the short shots prescribed in the videos. You are hitting these 150 plus. I want the ball going a short distance so you can study your hands.

1. Please get the right thumb on the left side of the grip
2. Hit the balls 40 or 50 yards
3. Hold the uncocked finish position for a 2 count. "1, one thousand, 2 one thousand"

Keep up the great work.

MC

Here is the update with the not letting my wrist unhinge on the follow through. It is very very tough for me to do. Im guessing because of my athletic flipping ability. I was using my 8 iron for this session. My ball only went about 60-70 yards on my good hits. Some were good and others were not. Bladed some, and hit a couple with the blade wide open, low squirrels to the right. The ones I hit good were straight for the most part. This was a first for me, I actually shanked one. Hit it on the hozel. Not sure if that is good or bad but Ive never done that before. Still got the dimples on the hozel from the hit. Tried not to let me left hand break down after impact . Definitely very hard for me to do. Enjoy the masterpiece.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAbxkD4GXns[/media]

On a related note, I happened to stumble onto another training aid that looks promising. Its called the perfect release. Its a bungee cord attached to the club and your arm. My big question is would that help me from flipping. My ultimate goal is to look cooler than I already do at the range. Not an easy feat to achieve to say the least, so I can be all Tin cupped up. All I need now is a golf watch.