2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

La Cosa Nostra - classic club style

On from here
A couple of observations and questions to the group about the state of the union - so to speak. First, from the shear weight of the threads and posts in the last few months, interest in classic clubs is growing. Some of the interest (read demand) is even attributable to those who are new to the topic and even new to golf. Second, from looking at the Ebay listings, the supply of classic golf equipment is growing as well. These two observations are gratifying in many ways but troubling in anothers. Gratifying in that it is wonderful that these great clubs have a passionate and growing fan base. Troubling in that markets developing this fast can get out of hand very quickly.

I look at Ebay listings and see clubs listed as "rare", "collectible", etc. Some are, some not so much. I know that for some newbies, this could lead to money being spent on junk that could be invested in really good stuff that isn't well known. I am also afraid that I may be passing over really good stuff that I am just not aware of because it is really rare and/or collectible.

Now to my question for the group:

Is there any interest in a "Deal/No Deal" limited to only classic equipment?

I can't promise anything obviously. But, we know what can happen when we speak loudly with enough voices.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think on balance it would be a good thing. Sometimes it does get a little irritating to have spent many hours tracking down a nugget only for it to be broadcast over an internet forum and the price go through the roof russian_roulette.gif

But I am all for anything that promotes classic persimmon and blades golf and anything that makes buyers getting ripped off for junk less likely. clapping.gif

Cheers, BG

It would definitely only drive prices up (on occasion), but I think its a fair idea on the surface. There are a lot of bad listings out there. I don't know how many times I've read listings and sent the seller a message telling him he's inaccurately listing his item. There are people out there who like to take advantage of people who are not in the "know".

Count me in!!!

Understand your concerns. I have been collecting classic clubs since around 1975 before the collector craze
really took off. There was an article in golf digest or golf magzine (cant remember exact date but may have
been in the late 70s early 80s) about how valuable some of the old persimmons were becomming.
The Armour 693 was the star of the show but it may have mention the M85s etc.
After that point everyone thought their tommy armour
drver was worth $500 to $1000 dollars. Before the craze took off you could get some really nice old
clubs for reasonable prices. Around 1980 I picked up a really good book by Joe Clement called
"Classic Golf Clubs a pictorial guide" great book with pictures of all the best collectible woods, irons
wedges and putter. I don't think the book is in print anymore but I did see one that had sold on e-bay recently.
I attended a national collector show a few years back that was held in the Chicago area and picked up an
excellent book titled "American Golf Classics" Golf Club Collectors Handbook" It has color pictures of all the
best collectible clubs with good descriptions. It includes the old hickory shafted clubs from the 1800's but also
the more modern clubs, woods, irons and putters from the classic era e.g the Macgregors, Hogans, Powerbilts
Wilsons etc. In the absence of a "mentor" the best way to acquire the "good stuff" would be to pick up some books
such as the one I described or possibly the Gilchrist book titled "Guide to Golf Collectibles" . I also have
the Kaplan books which are basically reprints of the old Macgregor, Wilson and Powerbilt catalogues. They
provide pictures, specs etc but no advice on what the best collectibles are. You will see many things
advertised on e-bay as the old "rare" clubs that are actually remakes of the original clube. I have seen more
than a few 8802 putters that fall into that category. Also, some of the books I mentioned have price guides.
Most are not very realistic in my opinion but they do provide a good guide to the relative values of the
various models. Hope this helps.

I think a separate Deal / No-Deal area and [b]a separate sub-forum in the BST would be GREAT additions.[/b]

If they can have a subforum for the Hawaii BST, how about one for classic clubs and gear? The BST otherwise moves so fast.

I have a bunch of classic clubs I would like to list for sale, but they would otherwise get lost and overlooked in the regular BST.

I have a feeling that the oldtimers with some GREAT persimmon collections are going to be unloading LOTS of great stuff. The pace has REALLY picked up on ebay in the last few weeks, especially.

Wow.. that would be a great idea.. I think it would help people like me, who for the moment can only search the BST by Keywords like "persimmon", etc.. It would also encourage other members to post some of their vintage gear that they otherwise might not even be thinking about..
True.. I bet there are some members here with some great persimmons, and I, for one, want to buy them all!

Big thumbs up from me!!:clapping:

Hey guys. Spruce the place up a little. Fluffy up the pillows and sweep the dirt under the rug. We might have some visitors. I made a post in the following thread today. These guys are looking for what we have found. They just don't know it. Be gentle and informative. Who knows.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/333758-the-not-so-normal-2-wood/page__gopid__2289229"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/333758-the-not-so-normal-2-wood/page__gopid__2289229[/url]&