New Cally Forged coming soon!

CallawayMoe

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not really that surpising... but it will be surpising if its actually forged and not X-tour like "forged".

What is X-Tour like "forged"???? Since I've seen the X-Tour components and clubs made I'm trying to figure out what X-Tour like forged is--they are created via a traditional forging process. There are many versions of forging that can qualify (two pieces---callaway and mizuno use this, welded hosel---vaunted Miura uses this, form forged---cleveland has used this, grain flow forged---mizuno uses this). Technically any that experience anything but touch up grinding after the forging wouldn't be true forgings in the traditional sense of the word. And that applies to everyone today since they all mill their grooves.

The X tour is like forged because the face is forged, welded to a cast body.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Head Golf Professional @ Peninsula Golf Resort, KY[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon & UST Mamiya Staff Member[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z565 9.5*, UST Mamiya Elements Prototype 7F5T[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZF65 15. UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon U45 19*, UST Mamiya iRod 85F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z765 3-PW. UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 125 F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey TVD 52/58 M-Grind, UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Frequency Filter shaft[/font]

I used to play the X tours. Have since moved on. They looked OK, felt pretty soft, performed superbly and were amazingly forgiving!

A great combination you may think, but sadly they hit the ball so stupidly high that I just sold them. A real shame that Callaway could design an iron that is intended for the better amateur yet has such a stupid ball flight!

Like so many of today's products, they almost make it, but you end up selling them for one stupid quirk that you cant believe the engineers could miss......

I guess it easy to see why the tour players put super stiff shafts in them and Lefty hits nothing but 3/4 punches with them - the only way to stop them balooning!

Here's hoping they get it right next time. If they do, I will be first in line to buy them!!

919THI 11.5° / 1° open
929hs 20° / dead square
775hs 21° & 24° & 27°
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 6-pw
MP-T11 50° & 55° / MPT4 61°
Ping Sydney 33"

I used to play the X tours. Have since moved on. They looked OK, felt pretty soft, performed superbly and were amazingly forgiving!

A great combination you may think, but sadly they hit the ball so stupidly high that I just sold them. A real shame that Callaway could design an iron that is intended for the better amateur yet has such a stupid ball flight!

Like so many of today's products, they almost make it, but you end up selling them for one stupid quirk that you cant believe the engineers could miss......

I guess it easy to see why the tour players put super stiff shafts in them and Lefty hits nothing but 3/4 punches with them - the only way to stop them balooning!

Here's hoping they get it right next time. If they do, I will be first in line to buy them!!

Never had a problem with mine with X-100 shafts in them. Maybe if you are playing R-200s they might balloon. How is all of lefty's swings punch shots?? And Michael Cambell's swing is hardly a punch shot. Sounds like the indian not the arrow.

Who told you the body is cast??? Callaway designer, Endo manufacturer, or local yocal salesman?? I'm going out on a limb betting you haven't seen them forged, machined, and assembled.

Sorry, thought I read it somewhere on here about the body being cast. I think the topic was about Phil Mickelson's being completely forged. My bad on a bad response.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Head Golf Professional @ Peninsula Golf Resort, KY[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon & UST Mamiya Staff Member[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z565 9.5*, UST Mamiya Elements Prototype 7F5T[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZF65 15. UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon U45 19*, UST Mamiya iRod 85F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z765 3-PW. UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 125 F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey TVD 52/58 M-Grind, UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Frequency Filter shaft[/font]

I have heard the same as "pshyeah". that the face area is forged and then laser welded onto the body of the club. From what I understood this was required in order to have it forged and yet have a cut cavity.

to me traditional forging means a guy with a big hammer and an anvil... naturally the guy, hammer, and anvil aren't making too many golf clubs these days. I understand that there are various means by which to forge. I am not sure what the quirky names each company makes up mean, but from what I understand some companies start our with a hunk of metal and beat it into submission in the form of an iron, others start with a basic cast shape and then smack it around a couple of times to get the finished shape. I don't really care who does what, or if a club is forged at all.

From what I understand there is no way to forge a cut cavity. So what I was asking was will it be another cut cavity face forged then welded head ( ie X-Tour), or will it be a more "traditional" forged cavity back.

Who told you the body is cast??? Callaway designer, Endo manufacturer, or local yocal salesman?? I'm going out on a limb betting you haven't seen them forged, machined, and assembled.

Sorry, thought I read it somewhere on here about the body being cast. I think the topic was about Phil Mickelson's being completely forged. My bad on a bad response.

Phils set IS different from the off the rack X Tour set. His was milled. ;)

I have heard the same as "pshyeah". that the face area is forged and then laser welded onto the body of the club. From what I understood this was required in order to have it forged and yet have a cut cavity.

to me traditional forging means a guy with a big hammer and an anvil... naturally the guy, hammer, and anvil aren't making too many golf clubs these days. I understand that there are various means by which to forge. I am not sure what the quirky names each company makes up mean, but from what I understand some companies start our with a hunk of metal and beat it into submission in the form of an iron, others start with a basic cast shape and then smack it around a couple of times to get the finished shape. I don't really care who does what, or if a club is forged at all.

From what I understand there is no way to forge a cut cavity. So what I was asking was will it be another cut cavity face forged then welded head ( ie X-Tour), or will it be a more "traditional" forged cavity back.

Technically there are no "true" forgings left in the world today because everyone is now milling the faces and some cavity cosmetics (ala Taylor Made). The closest would be Mizuno and Endo with their traditional muscle backs but even those now have the faces milled. Only the vaunted totally milled irons (phils and Taylor Made's for sale you know where) would be a ridiculous alternative.

Those are all done in the same place presently---by the man behind the curtain (pay no attention to him while he moves the levers). :idhitit:

Cally is coming out with 2 new forgings. A new slimmer, smaller X-Tour and a GI forged. As for the discussion about true forging, the X-Tour is not. It is two separate forgings welded together.

FYI, Titleist 804, 704 and 775 are similar. In fact the 775 has other materials bonded inside the cavity of the long irons.

Cally is coming out with 2 new forgings. A new slimmer, smaller X-Tour and a GI forged. As for the discussion about true forging, the X-Tour is not. It is two separate forgings welded together.

FYI, Titleist 804, 704 and 775 are similar. In fact the 775 has other materials bonded inside the cavity of the long irons.

W

Technically there are no "true" forgings left in the world today because everyone is now milling the faces and some cavity cosmetics (ala Taylor Made). The closest would be Mizuno and Endo with their traditional muscle backs but even those now have the faces milled.

Mizuno forges the grooves on all their clubs. The Grain Flow Forging Process was taken from Mizunousa.com, take a look at Step 5...

Grain Flow Forging™

Mizuno's Patented Grain Flow Forging™ process enhances the flow and tightness of the grains in the metal, maximizing the strength of the clubhead without sacrificing the soft feel, and ensuring greater consistency from club to club and set to set.

Step 1

1025 Select Mild Carbon Steel Billet

Our material meets 6 times tighter specs than the industry standard, optimizing softness and strength.

Step 2

Primary Forging

Primary forging shapes the head and ensures grains are aligned and tightened.

Step 3

Heat Treatment

Aging the head at elevated temperature optimizes strength and softness.

Step 4

Precision Forging First Shot

Precision forging ensures precise shape, consistent grain structure, and tight tolerance for precise performance.

Step 5

Precision Forging Second Shot

Modified U-grooves are hydraulically forged into the clubface for optimal spin rate.

Step 6

Finished Product

Final polishing and double nickel chrome plating complete the process.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Technically there are no "true" forgings left in the world today because everyone is now milling the faces and some cavity cosmetics (ala Taylor Made). The closest would be Mizuno and Endo with their traditional muscle backs but even those now have the faces milled.

Mizuno forges the grooves on all their clubs. The Grain Flow Forging Process was taken from Mizunousa.com, take a look at Step 5...

Grain Flow Forging™

Mizuno's Patented Grain Flow Forging™ process enhances the flow and tightness of the grains in the metal, maximizing the strength of the clubhead without sacrificing the soft feel, and ensuring greater consistency from club to club and set to set.

Step 1

1025 Select Mild Carbon Steel Billet

Our material meets 6 times tighter specs than the industry standard, optimizing softness and strength.

Step 2

Primary Forging

Primary forging shapes the head and ensures grains are aligned and tightened.

Step 3

Heat Treatment

Aging the head at elevated temperature optimizes strength and softness.

Step 4

Precision Forging First Shot

Precision forging ensures precise shape, consistent grain structure, and tight tolerance for precise performance.

Step 5

Precision Forging Second Shot

Modified U-grooves are hydraulically forged into the clubface for optimal spin rate.

Step 6

Finished Product

Final polishing and double nickel chrome plating complete the process.

Nice copying of their literature. Have you been there to see it done?? I have and it only marginally is represented by the blurb on their site. Maybe it's different in Japan and China where they forge their heads (ooops I guess those are the same heads that are here).

I provided the information to educate. I provided the information to show that Mizuno says they DO NOT mill their grooves but "hydralically forge" them into the clubface. I'm just going by how the Mizuno says they make the club. I've spoken to Mizuno Customer Service and their Rep for my area. They all state the grooves are forged into the clubface. If they were milled, which is a far more expensive endeavor (and more desirable to some golfers), why wouldn't they represent that in their product information? Since you've been there and seen that, please answer that question, Sandy?

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Sandy, you are partially right! According to Mizuno's 2006 Golf Collection Brochure, they do mill the grooves on their wedges. My bad!

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x