2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Welcome to a new venue

What direction will we take this sub=-forum
It's not very often that we get an opportunity like this. It's a brand-new, never been used, absolutely clean slate that can become pretty much whatever we want it to be.

I really didn't have an agenda when I suggested that we include this in the new "Classic Golf and Golfers" forum. I guess, like those who suggested it, that the Classic Tales from the Rough would be similar to the existing Tales from the Rough sub-forum. It certainly can be that. A quick review of the topics in that forum indicate that the topics range from stories about rounds with friends, the mental challenges of the game, and other on-course topics common to all golfers. This forum will certainly include those kinds of issues, I'm sure. But I also hope that we can talk about those on-course topics that are unique to those of us who play classic clubs - our successes, challenges, the reactions of those who play with us - or play at a "classic" time in our golf lives.

On that last topic, I know that some of us have a story to tell about our transition from golfer to senior golfer. I am going through that stage in my life as we speak. Yesterday, it became very obvious to me that the time has come that I will not be able to play blue tees at my favorite golf course with my usual gang of thugs who are 10 years or so younger than I am. For many years, the age difference was no big deal. But yesterday, it became obvious to me that I was having to hit 3-wood second shots on almost every par 4 (course is very long, over 6800 yds from the blues). It is very hard to admit that I need to move up a tee. I am not really ready to admit that I am not as strong as I used to be. But I want to play golf like a golfer, hit all the clubs in my bag, and not have to get 6 strokes a round.

I'm sure that I am not the only one who has had these and/or similar experiences. I hope we can use this Classic Tales from the Rough to share our experiences among ourselves and with those who play with us. Maybe we can all grow from our experiences.

Thanks for participating. smitty

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

What a great idea. One thing I'd like to suggest is that the bar be set high in terms of friendliness and civility. As far as I'm concerned there are no dumb questions and I will never reply to anyone seeking answers with anything like "Learn to use the search function, buddy.".

One of the nice things about being a little older is we may understand golf as more than just a game and a bag of expensive gear. Geezers understand some of the little things like character is more important than a low handicap or the most expensive prototype tour equipment. Or the fact that everything old is new again and what is right today will be wrong next year and then it may be right again in 10 years.

I'm not complaining by any means, but sometimes I think young, competitive and socially inexperienced folks forget that we are all stewards of the game and in the long run, maintaining a spirit of inclusion and class is good for the board and good for the game golf. That said, I'm looking forward to hearing some of the old stories and history back here and maybe sharing some too.

Well...To begin with...I'm probably a lot younger than most of you guys here...tongue.gif . But... Sharing stories, past, present or future in the game that we all love, these are just the things that guys have always done.. . I guess we can use Smitty's sub-forum here as a kind of "gas station" of sorts.. laugh.gif

I've noticed the biggest drop in distance this past year but lo and behold, this year I've gained it all back...bb.gif .Ain't technology awesome?

Even though the majority of the fellow frequenters of the seniors section are mobetta well rounded and read than most, I hope we all can allow the vernacular of the sub-par edikated to be allowed, and without being corrected in post... wink.gif . Mainly referring to myself here..

I hope to get the lead out one day, and to chime in from time to time with my .02 or .03's worth...change ain't what it used to be...biggrin.gif And thanks to Smitty, who has single handedly started from scratch, a place for the seasoned followers of our great GolfWRX site to hang.

And I do solemnly swear to help Smitty out whenever possible or when I have the time, and/or the knowledge to speak that of which I know...at least a little bit of...wink.gif

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

• 1 month later...

I'm traveling on business right now or else I'd be making notes about the clubs I started this great game with back in '63. Right handed women's clubs that I still have; and they were vintage when I acquired them...

I was explaining to my stepson the other day how exciting it was when I had enough money in my pocket to pay for a round at the muni AND purchase a "club special" from the jar of golf balls. It was that or hope that I could find something in the woods that didn't have too much of a "smile" cut into the cover...

Thank you, Smitty, without obsessing about "then", I'm looking forward to whatever unfolds, as long as it unfolds in what I"d consider a reasonably civilized fashion.