Best GPS for Mac user

What's a PC?
As a fully converted Mac user (except for in the office), I'm having quite a bit of trouble finding a GPS device that seems to be Mac-friendly. Most of the reviews I've been able to find and read on the internet are incomplete or out-dated. That being said, I'm hoping that there are other Mac-addicts that can provide some guidance in purchasing my first GPS. (Not buying new clubs this season, so it's in the budget!)

Bullet points:
  • I'm leaning toward the Callaway uPro or uProGo ($100 rebate!!)...
  • ...but the Bushnell Neo is probably good enough for me from a bells & whistles standpoint..
  • Is it true that you lose the courses saved on your SkyCaddie if you don't renew your membership?
  • I've read that Garmin is least Mac-friendly...
  • Should I just buy an iPhone and use the SkyCaddie app?...

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. :drinks:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='liu374' date='15 April 2010 - 07:19 AM' timestamp='1271333964' post='2380858']
As a fully converted Mac user (except for in the office), I'm having quite a bit of trouble finding a GPS device that seems to be Mac-friendly. Most of the reviews I've been able to find and read on the internet are incomplete or out-dated. That being said, I'm hoping that there are other Mac-addicts that can provide some guidance in purchasing my first GPS. (Not buying new clubs this season, so it's in the budget!)

Bullet points:
[list][*]I'm leaning toward the Callaway uPro or uProGo ($100 rebate!!)...[*]...but the Bushnell Neo is probably good enough for me from a bells & whistles standpoint..[*]Is it true that you lose the courses saved on your SkyCaddie if you don't renew your membership?[*]I've read that Garmin is least Mac-friendly...[*]Should I just buy an iPhone and use the SkyCaddie app?...[/list]
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. :drinks:
[/quote]

I LOVE the iPhone as my Golf GPS App. Pick up a Mophie case/charger and never have trouble with battery life.

Sky-Caddie App?

I am playing with GolfLogix, GolfShot, and GolfCard. All three are good, each has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I can only speak of Skycaddie which does work with Mac. They have a Mac version of Caddiesync available to allow you to download the courses you need to your Skycaddie and transfer your scores you keep during your round to Club SG. Membership is required to use the courses mapped by Skycaddie. You will see arguments about the membership costs, but for me, having a person on course doing the mapping is worth the money. And the uPro can end up being more expensive than the Skycaddie membership if you play a lot of different courses. I have found the mapping results and accuracy are better than having it mapped off satellite photos. If you map the course yourself, then you can continue to use your Skycaddie without membership.

The iPhone Skycaddie app does not provide any course maps. It supports the scoring feature by giving you access to your scoring and stats that you download from your Skycaddie, into Club SG. It also allows you to do scoring on the course by downloading the course scorecard.

Having purchased a SGX yesterday, just from playing around with it, it is a huge step forward from previous models. Sunday I will post a full review after I use it during my round on Saturday.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

If you do not renew your membership, you lose the Skycaddie courses, but you do not lose any courses you mapped. And you can continue to map courses even without the membership.

The SG5 is a good choice, especially with the recent price drop. Most people will be very happy with it's features.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Mac User at home and at work! I've got the Bushnell Neo, and I think it is perfect. I couldn't be happier with it. I bought the one-year membership and have downloaded about 30-40 golf courses so far. It takes just seconds to upload courses to it. If I wanted, I could map courses, but so far I haven't found anything I want that hasn't already been mapped. I have played 54 holes on one full charge, and the battery is still at 60%, so that is nice too. I put it in my pocket when hitting, and pull it out while walking to my next shot, unless it is obvious what I'm going to use.

Thanks again. This is good stuff. Hope it helps other golfers as well. I'll reply again when I make my final purchase... The rankings look like this at the moment:
[list=1][*]SkyCaddie SG5[*]Bushnell Neo (hard to beat for under $100)[*]Callaway uPro Go ($100 rebate)[*]Golf Buddy Tour[*]Garmin G5 (pricier than the competition)[/list]Thank goodness for return policies.

[quote name='liu374' date='15 April 2010 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1271341991' post='2381037']
Thanks again. This is good stuff. Hope it helps other golfers as well. I'll reply again when I make my final purchase... The rankings look like this at the moment:
[list=1][*]SkyCaddie SG5[*]Bushnell Neo (hard to beat for under $100)[*]Callaway uPro Go ($100 rebate)[*]Golf Buddy Tour[*]Garmin G5 (pricier than the competition)[/list]Thank goodness for return policies.
[/quote]
The G5 is higher in price, but remember when you buy it thats it. No buying courses and no membership fee's. Free updates when they become available. Not trying to talk you into it, just want to make sure you have all the info. I researched them all and they are all good. It just reall comes down to preference. Good luck!

I just used my iPhone 3GS and Golfshot app ($29.99) this past week for rounds in Columbia SC and it was fantastic. App was easy to use and GPS was accurate. Cool features (aerial views, stats & scoring) as well. The course we played was initially mapped incorrectly, so all I had to do was email photos of the updated scorecard (done through the Golfshot app itself) and the issue was corrected the very next day. Great customer service.

I have a MOPHIE JUICE PACK AIR and battery life was never an issue.

This app gives me everything I need in golf GPS .... all for under $30.

[quote name='kenway' date='15 April 2010 - 02:42 PM' timestamp='1271356925' post='2381548']
I just used my iPhone 3GS and Golfshot app ($29.99) this past week for rounds in Columbia SC and it was fantastic. App was easy to use and GPS was accurate. Cool features (aerial views, stats & scoring) as well. The course we played was initially mapped incorrectly, so all I had to do was email photos of the updated scorecard (done through the Golfshot app itself) and the issue was corrected the very next day. Great customer service.

I have a MOPHIE JUICE PACK AIR and battery life was never an issue.

This app gives me everything I need in golf GPS .... all for under $30.
[/quote]

Everything except iPhone (or any smartphone) apps are non-conforming to USGA rules.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I can't remember how I stumbled onto the golfwrx site/forum, but I'm really happy I did.

The feedback combined with a ringing endorsement from my co-worker, resulted in my "folding" and purchasing the SkyCaddie SG5 via Rockbottomgolf.com this morning ($279). From a value standpoint, it really came down to the fact that RBG offered the SG5 with a free accessory package (travel case, car charger, screen protector = $70 value) AND a free Bag Boy travel bag ($79.99). I've come to terms with the annual fees knowing that my annual CPI salary increase should cover it... tongue.gif Additionally, I suppose the $140 of gear is equivalent to about 4-5 years of my SkyCaddie membership...

I should be getting the GPS in the next week or so. I'll come back and write a review (and let you know if I decide to keep it). I'm planning on buying an iPhone later this year anyway - which will be a no-brainer if Verizon finally gets on board.

Thanks again Golfwrx.

I have no doubt you will like the SG5. I play with a singles golf group here in Atlanta and almost everyone ended up getting a Skycaddie when they bought a gps rangefinder.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I have an SG5 and it works fine w/ my Macbook Pro. I've had it for four years now and it's awesome...Ihave absolutely no desire to switch.

Don't use your iPhone for a golf GPS. I don't care what anyone says, [b]YOU WILL HAVE BATTERY PROBLEMS.[/b]

Besides, all of the iPhone golf GPS apps suck. And unless you're jailbroken, you wont be happy having to restart the app anytime you want to text, browse the web or use your phone.

"Don't use your iPhone for a golf GPS. I don't care what anyone says, YOU WILL HAVE BATTERY PROBLEMS."

I have to respectfully disagree - I've had zero battery issues with my iPhone 3GS and Mophie for all of the rounds that I have played so far with it using the Golfshot app. Other user responses using the same setup tended to have the same results as I do.

"Besides, all of the iPhone golf GPS apps suck. And unless you're jailbroken, you wont be happy having to restart the app anytime you want to text, browse the web or use your phone."

Restarting the Golfshot app in mid round was no issue for me... took maybe 10 seconds to get back to where I was on the course (appropriate hole loaction in the Golfshot app).

[quote name='kenway' date='19 April 2010 - 08:35 AM' timestamp='1271684122' post='2387701']
"Don't use your iPhone for a golf GPS. I don't care what anyone says, YOU WILL HAVE BATTERY PROBLEMS."

I have to respectfully disagree - I've had zero battery issues with my iPhone 3GS and Mophie for all of the rounds that I have played so far with it using the Golfshot app. Other user responses using the same setup tended to have the same results as I do.

"Besides, all of the iPhone golf GPS apps suck. And unless you're jailbroken, you wont be happy having to restart the app anytime you want to text, browse the web or use your phone."

Restarting the Golfshot app in mid round was no issue for me... took maybe 10 seconds to get back to where I was on the course (appropriate hole loaction in the Golfshot app).
[/quote]

kenway,

I am experiencing the same thing as you. I won't go back to a laser, I am LOVING my iPhone for golf GPS, and experimenting with different applications has become a hobby. GolfShot is the leader in the clubhouse for me as far as interface and features, but there are others that are very good as well. The good news is there are many apps, and they will all keep getting upgraded to fight the competition. The end users are the winners...

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I love my iPhone and I am an Apple ho but DO NOT use your iPhone for Golf GPS because:

1) You have to buy an external battery to make it through a round.

2) The GPS measurement is sigificantly less accurate than a standalone GPS device.

3) Lack of multitasking of iPhone apps require you to leave the GPS app to do anything else. Multitasking can only be done between the phone, Safari, email, and iPod.

4) All smartphone apps have been declared non-conforming by the USGA. Rounds using them cannot be used for handicap calculation nor can the smartphone apps be used in competition.

Bottom line, save your money and buy a GPS device that conforms to USGA rules. The smartphone apps are a dead end and the stand alone GPS units are just plain better.

Callaway Chrome Soft

The USGA and R&A state “the device must measure distance only; it must not measure other conditions such as wind speed or direction, the slope of the ground, or the temperature.” All smartphone devices have a weather app, making it non-conforming. And most smartphone owners will have many apps that make it non-conforming. My Weather Channel app, Weather Bug app, and Stanley bubble level app make my iPhone non-conforming. The laser rangefinders that have the ability to take into account slope in showing distance are non-conforming even if you can turn the slope function off. Just by having the function makes it non-conforming.

Callaway Chrome Soft

• 3 weeks later...

My "SkyCaddie SG5 after three rounds" review:
[list=1][*]Set up - As I read elsewhere, such was the case for me: the set up was slightly cumbersome to get the app smoothly running on my MacBook. It's definitely not intuitive and the instructions are 6/10 on a scale of helpfulness. Needless to say, once I got the application to actually load and function (after a reboot or 2), it's been a breeze (10/10 after install). I believe I have 10-12 courses loaded so far and it takes about a minute to upload the courses.[*]Interface - I'm quite pleased with all the bells and whistles the SG5 came with. My only issue is that the courses are listed in a wacky random order. It's a good thing the GPS CAN'T store 50 courses because honestly, you'd have a rough time finding it. Why is Jefferson after Shamrock and why is Shamrock ahead of Pinnacle? But Ohio State is ahead of Pinnacle? As a new user, I'm still getting acquainted with the aforementioned bells and whistles. The overhead hole-by-hole and green views are a dream.[*]Utility - while I haven't been playing great golf, the SkyCaddie has done it's part by giving me really good distances. It does a lot for my confidence in knowing exactly how far greens and hazards are located from my ball, especially if I hit an errant shot (on a different hole). If only there was a way to build in a wind-adjusted distance...[/list]All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase to date. I'm sure I'll be even happier with it once I can use it with more ease. I still feel a little clunky at times navigating between features.

HELP!

How did you get your Bushnell Neo to work with your Mac. I'm a LONGtime Mac User, and pretty tech savvy, but I'm at the end of my rope.

I'm running 10.6.3 on an intel iMac. I have installed the Bushnell drivers and the Bushnell sync app. I have also signed up for the iGolf account and downloaded the courses I want. When I launch the Sync app it shows the Neo as "Connected" and the courses I've downloaded show up, but the SEND button cannot be clicked (it never turns grey when you mouse over (as the delete button does). So I can't see any way to send the courses to the neo.

ONE of the reviewers on Amazon [url="http://www.amazon.com/review/R3OJO3KO04QF3/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B001M4F9I6&nodeID=#wasThisHelpful"](link here[/url]) specified this exact same problem on an earlier version of Snow Leopard, but someone else said that the December Java update fixed it. I'm running the newest version of Java, but it doesn't work for me (nor for a later commenter on the Amazon review).

If anyone has any ideas, they'd be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I'll return the Neo, but that's a great big pain since I also need to ask iGolf to give me my $35 back.

thanks!

I'm not running Snow Leopard, so I can't speak to problems you might be having using it. My suggestion would be to make sure you have installed the latest software from: [url="http://www.bushnellgolf.com/NEO/"]http://www.bushnellgolf.com/NEO/[/url]

Make sure you install [b]BOTH[/b] the USB Driver Setup and Serial Driver Setup (this is the mistake I made to begin with) and if that doesn't solve your problem call the (800) 423-3537, Neo support number and have them walk you through the process.