Wedgewood GC v. The Links @ West Fork in Conroe?

Sandman600

Which course is in better shape and overall a better course?
Would like to play one of these courses soon. Since the drive is long I would probably only play one now and the other later in the year. I guess I would like to know is which course would you rather play? I'm sure they are both great courses but I would think there are a few differences. Compare the greens, fairways and bunkers etc.? Thanks in advance!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea...This one is right up my alley. Ive played both maybe 15 times each. Wedgewood is a challenging little course. Not long but very tight (narrow) in spots. You have to be precise shot to shot on some of the holes. There are some blind tee shots that can [b]easily[/b] run through the fairway or dogleg if you are not familiar with the course. Hitting long iron or hybrid off the tee is a smart play on several of these holes. Some good elevation changes on a couple holes. The greens can be up to about a 9 on some days according to the pro. The course is always in good shape and very reasonably priced. You can usually get on almost anytime without a tee time. I never have one and always get on but I tend to play a lot in the late afternoons. I will warn you though...dont be surprised if you hit a drive straight down the middle only to discover that its run through the fairway. If you are not playing with someone who knows, and you are not sure, [b]hit iron![/b] Westfork is a fun course also. Here its bombs away off the tee with wide fairways that are mostly flat. There are a couple short par 4s that real long hitters might reach. 9 is a tough hole. Long second shot over a wide waste area. The green is ridiculously sloped. I 3 putted from like 4 feet the last time I played there. The greens here are in good shape except for one hole. Its a short dogleg right par 4 on the back. The green is very small and always seems to have a big burned spot. Otherwise, they are noticeably slower than Wedgewood. This course is forgiving and lends itself to shooting good scores. These two courses are only about 2 miles down 105 from each other. You could probably play both courses for $90 if you were so inclined. As far as walking goes..I dont ever recall seeing anyone walking on either course, but they wouldnt be difficult to walk if you choose to. Hope this helps!

Super thanks Sdub!
Man that sure helps! My group has never played either course and your tips will be most helpful. Coming for Houston I'm sure we'll play 36 or till they kick us out. I think I may lean towards playing Wedgewood and go back and play WestFork another day. Anyways I tend to play better when I use the driver less.

A word of warning for wedgewood. I play on the Houston egolf amateur tour, and our last tournament was supposed to be at wedgewood. The tour director, and 3 or 4 members, took a trip up to play a practice round a week or so before the tourney, and later that night, he sent out an email stating that the venue had changed (to Eagle Pointe in Mont Belvieu) due to the poor condition of the course. The tourney was on 4/18.

I have personally never played either, just thought I would let you know so that you didnt feel like you wasted a trip out.

if you sign up for golf deals on golfnow, you can find the daily tee time at wedgewood for as little as 12 bucks. personally, i enjoyed westfork a lot more. as someone else said, the condition of wedgewood was horrible when I played about 2 weeks ago. greens weren't cut that great, the practice "range" is a joke, and the posted yardages seemed off all over the place(like the scorecard doesn't match the posted tee length by 30 yards in some cases).

westfork was a lot nicer in condition and had a good flow from hole to hole. wedgewood seemed very segmented in that the blind tee shots are there just because they had to fit a hole in the trees with a 40 yard drop off somehow.

if you want a cheap place to play and cost is the main concern, wedgewood is a decent pick. if you want quality for one of these, westfork would be my choice. also be aware that woodforest is not too far away from these 2 and a good pick.

[quote name='Sandman600' date='26 April 2010 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1272311356' post='2402036']
Thanks for the warning. Youre not the only one that's told me that, I had couple of people say the same. I also heard that West Fork was a nice course. BTW how's Eagle Pointe currently? Played there several of times and was always in good shape. Love the greens there.
[/quote]

Eagle pointe is in phenomenal shape. I won that tournament with a 78. The greens are great. I honestly cannot ever recall seeing that course in bad shape. I was considering getting a membership there. It is $65/month with a $17 fee every time you play, regardless if you walk or not, but they only allow walking Monday - Thursday. For that reason, I got a membership to Evergreen instead. It is usually in good shape also, though not quite as nice as Eagle Pointe, but I can walk it any time I want.

Eagle Pointe is always in great shape...

[quote]For that reason, I got a membership to Evergreen instead. It is usually in good shape also, though not quite as nice as Eagle Pointe, but I can walk it any time I want. [/quote]

It still cost you $15 to walk though - doesn't it?

Evergreen seems to be our little gem in the woods over here...

[quote name='Stick E.' date='28 April 2010 - 12:09 PM' timestamp='1272474591' post='2406285']

[quote]For that reason, I got a membership to Evergreen instead. It is usually in good shape also, though not quite as nice as Eagle Pointe, but I can walk it any time I want. [/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, that pesky #10 at evergreen just doesnt fit my eye. I'll tell myself every time that I'll use an iron off the tee on that hole and end up using my driver. Water or OB and my round usually goes south then.
Really like that course though except for mosquitos.

[quote name='Sandman600' date='28 April 2010 - 02:26 PM' timestamp='1272482794' post='2406536']
[quote name='Stick E.' date='28 April 2010 - 12:09 PM' timestamp='1272474591' post='2406285']

[/quote]

Yeah, that pesky #10 at evergreen just doesnt fit my eye. I'll tell myself every time that I'll use an iron off the tee on that hole and end up using my driver. Water or OB and my round usually goes south then.
Really like that course though except for mosquitos.
[/quote]I gave up on using my driver off of #10. I have always fought a slice, so I put many balls in the drink on the left. I put a new shaft in one of my drivers, and have been hitting it very straight, so I decided to use it the other day. I pounded one straight down the middle of the fairway, but it went through the dogleg, and into the water. So, now I'm back to my 3 wood for that hole.

[/quote]

Yes, it does still cost $15 to walk. However, Eagle Pointe is $17 even if you walk, and they only allow you to walk Monday - Thursday. At least at Evergreen, I can walk any day of the week. Plus, if I walk, and my back starts to give me problems, I can just hop in a cart at the turn and finish the round out.

We'll have to get another round in over there one day (we played 9 together one day if you dont remember). I probably play there 3 or 4 times a week (sometimes a quick 9 after work, but usually try to get a full 18 in). With as much as I play there, even if I walk, I should still save well over $100/month with the membership.

Yessir, I remember. I'm out there maybe 3-4 days a week as well - might try to get out tomorrow afternoon for the skins...

#10 at Evergreen from the tips I can hit driver most of the time and be OK - the line just suits my eye a lot better. From the Whites, where I play a lot from too with some buddies and in the club tournaments, if I hit driver straight it goes wet, if I take the hard line over the houses, or right down the corner with a draw I either clip a tree, roof, house and it turns out good maybe one out of seven. Went OB yesterday while playing a match play match - still managed a bogey the hard way with a soft 3wd off the box, which nearly went long in the water.

From the tips I dont worry too much about #10, unless I am spraying the ball left, which tends to be my miss. If I'm hitting it well up to that point, I'll pull it from the tips. I actually made a par after putting it in the water the other day. Dropped the ball, and hit #3 on the green with a 4i, and 2 putted.

I'm not sure about tomorrow. I have 2 tournaments this weekend, and since I have played every day since Sunday, I think I need a day off. I've got an AMSE tourney at Wildcat on Saturday (probably a scramble) and an egolf tourney at Evergreen on Sunday. What time are you going to try to get out tomorrow?

I was planning on taking today off, and trying to get out there tomorrow morning, but I found out late yesterday that I have a meeting across town at 9am tomorrow, so I just decided to walk 9 today at River Terrace (such a goat ranch).