2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Japanese Equipment vs. American Equipment

slicer365

It appears that the Japanese pay closer attention to the aesthetics of the club than the Americans.

Case in point:

Wilson Staff Japan Nc6 Driver

Mizuno MP-003 Driver

Srixon I-505 Irons

TourStage ViQ Iron Set (they finally make a forgiving high handicap iron)

Wilson Staff Japan NC6 Irons

I would send a link of all this equipment, but it's taboo to post the link where I got it. PM me and I'll show you where they can be viewed.

I never would have thought twice about Wilson Staff, but looking at their items in Japan, I could see me switching. Anyway these companies ought to incorporate this equipment into their line.

What's your take???

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen the old non-US Spec MR-23s??? There are definetly some funky looking JDM clubs. In general, it seems if you are in Japan, you covet US Domestic equipment and if you are in the States, you may covet JDM. They are totally different markets and the Japanese market has been able to absorb higher priced equipment than the typical US Domestic user. Of course US domestic is still much larger than JDM.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

I know that some of the Japanese clubs do not fit americans. Clubs like Honma are just too soft. They have been designed around asians, so they sometimes don't fit many people in america. However I have to admit, many of the drivers like S-yard or Yamaha inpres are amazing clubs. Just so long!!!

PING ANSER
TM V-STEEL
BS J38 3-PW
588's
Scotty studio design #2

Not sure I agree with you, Gxgolfer. I know quite a few Japanese golfers, and very few of them covet US equipment. Most of them seem quite loyal to Japanese brands. This is just my observation ... others may vary.

Most of my Japanese friends in the states, businessmen based out of Japan, actually play TM and Titleist. Guess they want to be unique. :friends:

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
BST AD Help

I know that some of the Japanese clubs do not fit americans. Clubs like Honma are just too soft. They have been designed around asians, so they sometimes don't fit many people in america. However I have to admit, many of the drivers like S-yard or Yamaha inpres are amazing clubs. Just so long!!!

Honma are not soft...yes I have hit many of them and owned many older irons sets. Korean guy I know imports them in the Bay Area... anyways.. many S-Yard and Yamahas along with other drivers are soooo long because they are non-conforming...

Honma's are status symbol.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

Honma are not soft...yes I have hit many of them and owned many older irons sets. Korean guy I know imports them in the Bay Area... anyways.. many S-Yard and Yamahas along with other drivers are soooo long because they are non-conforming...

I wasn't sure if it was in reference to the forgings or the shafts...

BST AD Help

isn't the new BERES line from honma. they look pretty nice and even have some players irons.

Have just gotten a pair of Japanese TM R360xd 5 woods...

It seems to be their version of the R540xd FW series only with a metalic black finish vs. the glossy black of the 540....

why 2?

One has a Fuji 27.3 stiff and while I hit if fine, I wanted to hit the reg. flex version, the xd50 shaft, which I wanted to see if it was the J'ese version of the US R5 series 55gm shaft...which I have in my 540xd 3 and 7 woods.

Haven't gotten the xd50 in the mail yet, but from the aesthetic p.o.v. the head of the 360xd is very nice...

TM SLDR-430/10.5 @ 12°, OEM speeder 57R
08 Burner 3w/5w 49g M/sr flex
Cobra TWS Hybrids H3/H4 A-flex 60g
Cobra SS-i irons Penley Graphite Light-R
Cleve 588-49LowBounce,900-54LB,588-57LB
TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

isn't the new BERES line from honma. they look pretty nice and even have some players irons.

Yes...the Beres line is from Honma. I have hit those CB's and they are very good. Just not good enough for me to get rid of the Tourstages. Biggest problem with any Honma or Beres club is the shafts are usually too light and too soft. Many of the Drivers shafts are in the 55 gram area and forget about getting something extra stiff. It's not an option.

I agree the Japan Issue stuff looks better.Especially the bags from Titleist, they are much better in Japan.

However, someone said something about the Japan clubs playing softer. I think that is right too, because the ones that I have had have all had nippon shafts in them.

The nippon shafts are made in an asian country and they are kind of like the true temper over there, so it only makes sense that they designed their shafts for the Asian market.

The nippons are also great for seniors, my dad plays them and loves them he says because he gets the control of steel, and the weight of graphite, with a flexible shaft.

Just my thoughts, maybe wrong

Scott

Grass is greener syndrome. EVERY Japanese parts supplier we used to deal with (probably 200+ guys over the years) wanted to immediately go to the biggest shop in the area where they promptly bought everything Ping in the shop and most of the one of a kind stuff like rare camerons etc. None bought Bridgestone/Precept/Tourstage, Yonex, Mizuno, Homna (several $20,000 sets that cost more in Japan), Maruman, Seiko, Kasco, Srixon etc. etc. etc.......

• 1 month later...

I just bought a Honma Putter on eba a month ago, to go along with all the other putters in my house, and I have to say, it is the best, putter I have ever had, looks and feel are great, and people used to joke that I had MALLET hands, or hands of STEEL. No feel what's so ever. Not anymore, If I'm not making the putts, I'm pretty darn close.

Putting has always been the worst part of my game, not anymore.

America has made golf what it is today. In order to get the masses to play they have to keep equipment affordable, thank god as if it wasn't we would have less people playing. Japanese golf clubs are simply an option for those who wish to try something different. They don't lower your scores or reduce your handicap.

95% of the worlds clubs are made in China no matter where the parent company is located. Just recently Japanese steel prices went up quite a bit, more brands are forging their clubs elsewhere now including Japanese brands.

I categorize golf clubs into these categories:

- Clones & Fakes ( poor quality control, stay away! )

- Component Clubs ( cost effective using basic proven technology )

- U.S Domestic OEM's ( most popular using new technology, $$$ marketing )

- Japanese Import ( focused on quality and new design concepts )

We all know that driver tech is maxed out and most of the new technology we see doesn't provide a substantial proven improvement over what was around the year before.

Almost every Iron design has been done in some variant or another, it comes down to the quality of forged steel. Do not get caught up where the clubs were forged because within those manufactures there are dozens of options for OEMs to choose from. Also keep in mind finish plays a very big part in the feel and of course shaft, grip etc..

Nothing beats having clubs built to your specs, so whatever you choose just make sure you have the loft, lie, length, shaft and grip suite your swing.

IMO, I have to be honest base on my experiences handling Japan equipments all the way to US edition and the way those companies are thinking...I can only agree up 80-90% of Chris assessment.

Japanese equipment are on the extreme side IMO, They either pretty damn good or just good enough to sell ( nothing in the middle. The one that is damn good that might exceed the quality of US issue are only around 20%, however huge % of them, the spec are just doesn't meet US standard market customers target, despite on how good the quality is. Nothing wrong on this issue, it's just they set it up this way due to their market target ( Asian market ) and don't forget the courses condition in Japan are just totally different than in the US.

I have quite a few Japanese customers base in the US and some base in Japan and have deal w/ Japanese contact for years. Because of my experiences w/ them, I noticed that the Japanese customers who live in the US most of them love their Japanese brand and Japanese issue equipment but most of them I know that live in Japan love to buy US issue products. IMO this has to do w/ Asian culture and how they conduct their business in the course, they love to look different, status minded, Can't play just display, etc. For them Golf is more important on the social and business aspect of it, not to much in the sport....although lately they are getting more and more aware on the sport side of it. Again this is just most cases!

So technically, it's all depends on the consumers it self on what they are looking for to fit their spec profile. Educated consumers will understand and be more critical on chosing their equipment to fit their swing profile. Yes most of them are clueless, this is why this forums exist to be informative as fair as possible to educate the customers on what are they getting and what they should expect. This way they know what to ask before chosing and ordering. Finding the truth and understanding what is marketing what is the truth is hard without all this non bias information. Do your homework first before buying, that is probably the best thing i can say.

just my 2 cents!

Joe

I have found Tourstage's irons and wedges and Fourteen's Hybrids to be of extremely high quality. Very pleased with purchases from those brands in particular. I would rank the build quality generally superior to the very best American manufacturers.

These examples really stand out in mind: TS 202 and Z101 irons + Z-Series Wedges from Tourstage. From Fourteen Golf, the Hi-660 remains a favorite.

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

I know I really like my GD NC-1's. I used to play Mizuno, and I find these to be as soft, more forgiving, and just as playable. I also have a few of the GD putters, and they are great, but unfortunately got kicked out due to acquiring a cameron oo9.

The Handmade Forged L putter is wonderful, and so too is the " The One" with it's unique milling on the face. Mind you they just may both end up on ebay due to the oo9.

I think had I not got the NC-1's, I would have really liked to have tried the Srixon I-505

Got the standard OEM TM R360xd 5 wood with the standard xd-50 shaft and this reg. flex is VERY soft, even by OEM standards...it's low in the senior range @ around 230cpm

...and, it's 1/4 inch shorter than the US counterpart (42.25 vs. 42.5")...a local club maker likes the head a lot because it's "normal" meaning it sets up square...I much prefer the 27.3 shaft in it, even tho it's stiff, (I'm more used to reg.)

TM SLDR-430/10.5 @ 12°, OEM speeder 57R
08 Burner 3w/5w 49g M/sr flex
Cobra TWS Hybrids H3/H4 A-flex 60g
Cobra SS-i irons Penley Graphite Light-R
Cleve 588-49LowBounce,900-54LB,588-57LB
TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

I agree and find that many customers who are oriental who live in the U.S love Japanese clubs.

What I have also found is that the budget oriented golfer in Japan usually buys U.S equipment online, while the golfer who can afford high end equipment will usually play limited edition gear or quality Japanese golf clubs. They are addicted to ho'ing just as much if not more than we are.

After living in Tokyo for 4 years and being an avid golfer I honestly don't see as much U.S gear, even in their shops or on the course.

If we were all truly educated and didn't fall into hype we would be playing component golf clubs, but how exciting would that be?

My personal choice would be Import or particular OEM clubs fitted to my swing by someone like Joe or Master Koyama. I prefer their asthetics and their bold use of new technologies that is usually ahead of the curve.

Bottom line is its just another tempting option in the endless sea of equipment.

IMO, I have to be honest base on my experiences handling Japan equipments all the way to US edition and the way those companies are thinking...I can only agree up 80-90% of Chris assessment.

Japanese equipment are on the extreme side IMO, They either pretty damn good or just good enough to sell ( nothing in the middle. The one that is damn good that might exceed the quality of US issue are only around 20%, however huge % of them, the spec are just doesn't meet US standard market customers target, despite on how good the quality is. Nothing wrong on this issue, it's just they set it up this way due to their market target ( Asian market ) and don't forget the courses condition in Japan are just totally different than in the US.

I have quite a few Japanese customers base in the US and some base in Japan and have deal w/ Japanese contact for years. Because of my experiences w/ them, I noticed that the Japanese customers who live in the US most of them love their Japanese brand and Japanese issue equipment but most of them I know that live in Japan love to buy US issue products. IMO this has to do w/ Asian culture and how they conduct their business in the course, they love to look different, status minded, Can't play just display, etc. For them Golf is more important on the social and business aspect of it, not to much in the sport....although lately they are getting more and more aware on the sport side of it. Again this is just most cases!

So technically, it's all depends on the consumers it self on what they are looking for to fit their spec profile. Educated consumers will understand and be more critical on chosing their equipment to fit their swing profile. Yes most of them are clueless, this is why this forums exist to be informative as fair as possible to educate the customers on what are they getting and what they should expect. This way they know what to ask before chosing and ordering. Finding the truth and understanding what is marketing what is the truth is hard without all this non bias information. Do your homework first before buying, that is probably the best thing i can say.

just my 2 cents!

Joe

From the mind of he who has seen pretty much everything available on any market. Thanks Joe!

:drinks:

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Vokey SM10 54M 58D
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21