2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Pinehurst Resort and Golf

Pinhy

Trip Planning Help
A few months ago I was planning out a Northwest trip to play my way down from Chambers to Pebble....well, once everything was totaled up i just cant swing it this year.

That said....I have a new, much more definite plan. I am about to book the Donald Ross package at Pinehurst Resort. 2 nights, 3 rounds (add the $175 for one round at #2). I would REALLY like to stay at the Carolina rather than the Manor, but the package prices are $180/night more there (pool, restaurants, etc all right there). So I decided to have a look at AAA.com and it appears I can get rooms at the Carolina for about the same price I would be paying for the Manor and then I could book the rounds separately. Of course, this wouldn't include the breakfast and dinners the package includes.

Anyway.....Any opinions on the above options? Better options?

Thanks

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the rooms at each of the 3 hotels at the resort arent going to be much different. However, when I stay more than one night, and plan to spend some time enjoying the location, I like to stay where the pool and other activities are close by, rather than walking 1/2 a mile.

The rest of my trip (Harbour Town, Kiawah Island Ocean Course, Kings North) I am just playing by ear and staying at some smaller hotel whereever I find one. But this one I would be very disappointed if I were to stay at the Manor or Holly and then be bummed I didnt stay at the Carolina.

well...I am booked at the Carolina for their "Summer Tee" package: 3 nights, 4 rounds! I'll be playing #2 the morning of July 19th, and 4, 7, and 8 Tues - Thurs. As luck would have it, there is a Womens Amateur tourney there all that week on #2, so Monday morning was my only time to play it. I would have rather play a couple of the others first to get the feel for everything, but no complaining here. The grounds will be much more hectic than a normal mid-week stay, but I think I'll survive the hoards of female golfers all over the place!

Anyone in the area that week feel free to get in touch for a round of golf or hanging out at the bar. Maybe a WRX get together??

[quote name='Pinhy' date='02 July 2010 - 07:38 PM' timestamp='1278117538' post='2551903']
well...I am booked at the Carolina for their "Summer Tee" package: 3 nights, 4 rounds! I'll be playing #2 the morning of July 19th, and 4, 7, and 8 Tues - Thurs. As luck would have it, there is a Womens Amateur tourney there all that week on #2, so Monday morning was my only time to play it. I would have rather play a couple of the others first to get the feel for everything, but no complaining here. The grounds will be much more hectic than a normal mid-week stay, but I think I'll survive the hoards of female golfers all over the place!

Anyone in the area that week feel free to get in touch for a round of golf or hanging out at the bar. Maybe a WRX get together??
[/quote]

I will be in town then. I do not know what my schedule is but I can always work in a few drinks at the Pine Crest Inn. Keep me posted. ([email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email])

• 4 weeks later...

Bob: Nice meeting you and hanging out at the Ryder Cup Lounge for a bit. Thanks again for the drink.

I had a great golf trip, though some car problems put a damper on the end of it....but it did extend my vacation a few days, which led to a couple more rounds of golf. 8 rounds in 11 days, plus 1500 miles of driving!

Harbour Town
Pinehurst #2, 4, 8, 7
Kiawah Island Ocean Course
Caledonia Golf and Fish Club - Caledonia Course
Caledonia Golf and Fish Club - True Blue

The included meals (breakfast and dinner) at the Carolina Room and 1895 Grille were excellent, and I somehow was placed in a room upgrade so had a very nice corner room with a great view. The service, accommodations and location were all so perfect

Pics to come this weekend when I get some time to go through them all.

[quote name='Pinhy' timestamp='1280359188' post='2605019']
Bob: Nice meeting you and hanging out at the Ryder Cup Lounge for a bit. Thanks again for the drink.

I had a great golf trip, though some car problems put a damper on the end of it....but it did extend my vacation a few days, which led to a couple more rounds of golf. 8 rounds in 11 days, plus 1500 miles of driving!

Harbour Town
Pinehurst #2, 4, 8, 7

The included meals (breakfast and dinner) at the Carolina Room and 1895 Grille were excellent, and I somehow was placed in a room upgrade so had a very nice corner room with a great view. The service, accommodations and location were all so perfect

[/quote]

Hey there

I am planning a possible trip to Pinehurst the first part of October 2010. In looking at the website and other sources it appears the #2 course is/will be undergoing renovations in preparation for the 2014 US Mens and Womens Opens. I found this news blurb:

[i]"Pinehurst announced that it has signed an agreement with the renowned firm of Coore and Crenshaw Inc., to return both natural and strategic character to its championship No. 2 course. Work will be conducted gradually in 2010 without any closure to the course or to individual holes until mid-November."

[/i]SO my questions are, was there any work going on at #2 while you were there? And do you think it will be any less enjoyable by October if they are planning on closing it mid-November?

Thanks in advance!!

Wow that is an All Star lineup of courses, well done. Glad you enjoyed the trip. I'd be curious to hear which course you liked better 4 or 8. They are the only two of the premium courses I haven't played, and on my next trip I'll most likely play one of the two. I was there in May but passed on 4 because of the condition right then, and there was an outing on 8 that day.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

• 1 month later...

[quote name='12to8anytimenow' timestamp='1280775890' post='2613594']
[quote name='Pinhy' timestamp='1280359188' post='2605019']

Harbour Town
Pinehurst #2, 4, 8, 7

[/quote]

Hey there

I am planning a possible trip to Pinehurst the first part of October 2010. In looking at the website and other sources it appears the #2 course is/will be undergoing renovations in preparation for the 2014 US Mens and Womens Opens. I found this news blurb:

[i]"Pinehurst announced that it has signed an agreement with the renowned firm of Coore and Crenshaw Inc., to return both natural and strategic character to its championship No. 2 course. Work will be conducted gradually in 2010 without any closure to the course or to individual holes until mid-November."

[/i]SO my questions are, was there any work going on at #2 while you were there? And do you think it will be any less enjoyable by October if they are planning on closing it mid-November?

Thanks in advance!!
[/quote]

They have been working on No. 2 all year. They have kept it open for play during renovations. From what I have seen with the Resorts advertising, it does not appear that they are reducing the price. If you are playing No. 2 in Oct, they will still have certain places on certain holes under renovation.

The good news is that there is still plenty of great golf available at the resort, courses 4,5, 7, 8 are top notch, and like ALL the Resort courses, are in great shape. The other courses at the resort are very nice and always in great shape as well, however they tend to be on the shorter side of todays standards as far as length is concerned.

You can also find excellent golf in the Pinehurst area at several other courses. Pine Needles always is in awesome shape.

I don't know how long you will be in town, or what your schedule is...... I have pretty much played all the courses in NC and one of our states newest and so far best kept secrets is a new course about a hour from Pinehurst toward Cary/Holly Hills. It is a private course, but I think outside play is not impossible. If your in the area and want to play one of Golf Digests 10 ten " BEST NEW COURSES" look up a course called 12 Oaks, it is a very tough, but awesome course.

I'm heading to Pinehurst next month as well. We are playing Tobacco Road (Thursday afternoon), Pinehurst #5 and #8 (Saturday) and two yet to be determined courses on Friday. We are staying at a condo on Pinehurst Course #5. We need two more courses to play, preferably near town and within a short distance of each other (to play in one day). I'd really like to play Pine Needles, but the $175 price point is a little steep in combination w/ the rest of the trip. Any recommendations for courses nearby at decent rates?

[quote name='Golfffer' timestamp='1283802531' post='2681823']
I'm heading to Pinehurst next month as well. We are playing Tobacco Road (Thursday afternoon), Pinehurst #5 and #8 (Saturday) and two yet to be determined courses on Friday. We are staying at a condo on Pinehurst Course #5. We need two more courses to play, preferably near town and within a short distance of each other (to play in one day). I'd really like to play Pine Needles, but the $175 price point is a little steep in combination w/ the rest of the trip. Any recommendations for courses nearby at decent rates?
[/quote]

If you like Tobacco Road, then you may want to consider the other Stranz course, Tot Hill Farm- it is about 1 hour from The Resort where you are staying. Its not hard at all to get there, its all back road though. If you want to play that course, I would recommend playing a replay there the same day. That way you will get to play the course first and learn where some of those "blind" shots are for your replay, and you most likely would enjoy and score much better the second round. Or if you want to simply experience different golf courses, not too far from Tot Hill Farm is a private golf course that is in great shape called Pinewood Country Club, it shouldn't be too hard to get on and you could play it and Tot Hill Farm.

If you want to play Forest Oaks Country Club, it is a private course in Greensboro NC, about a hour and 20 min. from where your staying. The PGA Tour used to play there for many many years, The Greater Greensboro Open. It moved away from there a couple years ago, but the course is in fantastic shape and has not suffered any signs of heat stress that many area courses have suffered from this year.

I fully understand not wanting to pay $175 for Pine Needles, I will watch and see if they have any local specials come up.

I would recommend The National, but played there twice in the past few weeks, and their greens really have suffered with our severe heat this summer.

I don't know what distances you like to play or the style of course your interested in....... but if you like a old Donald Ross course that is pretty Ross Traditional, meaning it hasn't been changed and lengthened for todays big hitters, you may want to play a nice course that has bargain rates, its called the Elks Club or also known as Southern Pines Golf and Country Club. The course does not play short, but the course is not a long course by any means, it does have some elevation changes that play up hill to make some of the holes much longer then the yardage on the card.

Also, right across the street from Pine Needles is another Donald Ross Original, which has been restored to original layouts. It is also owned by Pine Needles (Peggy Kirk Bell Family) called Mid Pines Golf Club and Resort. It is a really nice course and its rates are generally half of Pine Needles.... but don't let that fool you, many people who play both Pine Needles and Mid Pines..... half will like Mid Pines more. I personally wouldn't be upset if I had to play either, I like them both almost equally.

There is also a unique golf course in the southern pines/pinehurst/aberdeen area called The Pit Golf Links. It usually is in pretty darn good condition and offers many different sets up tee's. Depending where you play it from, it can really be a fun golf course that offers some real chances for birdie or better- yet if you don't hit those shots on those holes just right, you will get a large number. They have a Island Green par three not to different from 17 at Sawgrass. They also have some holes that water can reach out and bite you...... or if you are really hitting it well, you may go for the green in 1 depending again on the tee box you play. The course was built from a sand quarry, but there are plenty of tree's...... but the course does have elevation changes within its 18 holes. The rates are very reasonable for a nice course

There are several very nice courses in the area....... however we have had a very dry and HOT summer which has wreaked havoc on many courses, so check out any before you commit to them, or shoot me a PM, I can pretty much set you straight on them.

All the courses OneBowTie mentioned are very good. I will throw out two other names. Pinewild Country Club only about 1 to 2 miles from the village is a private course but allows some outside play. Also about 45 minutes from the village in Spring Lake is Anderson Creek..a Davis Love III design that is just a flat out great course and will test you from any tees.

Vokey

By October everything should be just fine with the greens at most Pinehurst courses. Bent just needs some cool nights. Pine Needles and MidPines just aerified so give them a few weeks. Nationals greens were poor a few weeks back. I heard Legacy had real issues but can't verify that. Remember, October is the second peak for Pinehurst area courses so prices are going to be higher.

[quote name='Golfffer' timestamp='1283802531' post='2681823']
[/quote]

Southern Pines - won't be in Pine Needles condition, but it is a vintage layout and cheap.

• 1 month later...

Planning a 40th bday trip to Pinehurst in mid February. Weather folks say to expect highs of mid 50s, and lows of mid 30s.

Some questions:

1. Weather wise - temperature/rain/sleet/snow/other - how playable is the resort? What should we expect?
2. As far as aerration or course repair, what is the schedule? Anyone know when we would hit punched grens?
3. Were told #2 is closed - which blows, but the rest are worth playing I imagine (and others like Tobacco Road and Forest Creek?) Any other closures - golf courses, restaurant/pubs, etc.

Any other advice?

Appreciate the help...

[quote name='Golf-Junkie' timestamp='1288057096' post='2759277']
Planning a 40th bday trip to Pinehurst in mid February. Weather folks say to expect highs of mid 50s, and lows of mid 30s.

Some questions:

1. Weather wise - temperature/rain/sleet/snow/other - how playable is the resort? What should we expect?
2. As far as aerration or course repair, what is the schedule? Anyone know when we would hit punched grens?
3. Were told #2 is closed - which blows, but the rest are worth playing I imagine (and others like Tobacco Road and Forest Creek?) Any other closures - golf courses, restaurant/pubs, etc.

Any other advice?

Appreciate the help...

[/quote]

I'll chime in on the aspect of going mid February, I'll leave the conditions to the guys who are actually living down there. But I go down every year and used to live there (well about an 45 minutes north in Cary) The temps you were told were pretty much spot on, now you might luck out and get an odd 60 or 70 degree day, but you're just as likely to get a blustery 40 degree day as well. Just keep in mind last year in Mid February when we got hammered with snow here in the Maryland/DC area they also had about 6 inches. It's not routine by any means, but it can happen.

As for the resort being closed, that might be a blessing in disguise. I'm not sure I'd want to pay their full boat rate in February to battle cold air not see the course at it's best. It will still be dormant then and you will not have the true Pinehurst look. Again just my opinon. I used to go every year in Late March and that is about as early as I would want to make a planned special trip. I have gone down on a whim by myself at other times and played just a round while visiting family. But that is at one of the public courses in Raleigh where it is a bargain of like $45 for off season.

As for other activities, make sure you have a meal at the Pinecrest Inn a drink at Dugans, visit Tom Stewart at his Golf Shop in the village. He'll tell you anything you want to know about the history of Pinehurst. Also another good casual off the beaten path place for a meal is The Barn in Southern Pines.

Other courses to consider, Pine Needles and Mid Pines (also consider the price and time of year for them) Anderson Creek about a 30 minute drive, Pinewild Country Club a semi private but you should be able to get on with an advance call. Elks Club or I think its also called Southen Pines Country Club one of the orignal Donald Ross designs that is just fantastic.

Vokey

[quote name='Golf-Junkie' timestamp='1288057096' post='2759277']

Some questions:

Any other advice?

Appreciate the help...

[/quote]

As far as predicting the weather, It can be a crap shoot..... you could hit temps in the 70's, or you could be unlucky and get one of those rare times that the Pinehurst area has actual winter type temps...... but usually Feb starts cold in morning and warms rather quickly to the 50's or higher

Don't know the maintenance schedules, they tend to determine that with the weather forecasts ....... but if memory serves me, the Resort tends to aerate mid to late march......

You might want to keep checking back with the Resort as to No. 2's status, its seems to keep changing...... they have been leaving it open during its work in progress.

If you can get on Forest Creek, by all means, that would make your whole trip.

As someone mentioned above, the Pinewild CC has two superior courses in the area..... this is a private club, so you may need somebody or possibly the resort to set that up for you.

Other courses in the area that are considered high line that you may get on.... The National- A Nicklaus course

If you are staying at the Resort, head to the Village for some food and flavor at The Pinecrest Inn, lots of history and tradition there. Otherwise you choices are the Resort......or head by car to Southern Pines for all the typical chains..... Outback and such