• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='KickaPoo' timestamp='1282096825' post='2646129']
[quote name='rjklein4470' timestamp='1282006836' post='2643419']
[quote name='KickaPoo' timestamp='1282000552' post='2643160']
[quote name='rjklein4470' timestamp='1281851881' post='2639221']
Crimson, I just wish he had altered the design a little more. [/quote]

how much altering can you really do to a leather sunday type bag? they're all pretty similar in design
[/quote]

The sky is the limit, as a designer I could easily do half a dozen sketches in about 45 minutes.
[/quote]

well, i dont see what the big deal is. a lot of companies make blades that look the same, a lot of companies make putters that look the same, these 2 companies want to make replicas of the old leather Sunday bags.
[/quote]
The big deal involves a man that tried to buy MacKenzie and when they didn't want to sell he started his own company, replicating the bag of the company that denied him ownership capabilities, and then came out with a story about how he saw a void in the marketplace and capitalized on it. I think it's really his blatant copy and Mayberryesque story on his website that bothers me most. His shameless promotion about how his company came about just gets my BS meter pegged.

So this guy gets the paper to do a story on him and this new company he has and shows up with a Mackenzie bag? Having a tough time swallowing that scenario. I looked all over the site trying to find the picture when you first posted and there are a couple of pictures of that bag...the one with him walking up the stairs and the one on the ground and the one on the ground has his little commentary next to it about how that was the only bag they had when they launched the site and the took pictures in black and white so it wouldn't seem like pictures of the same bag. I am assuming that is the same bag anyway. There is no possible way he would have a close up of Mackenzie bag on his site..........

[quote name='Villadsen' timestamp='1282205498' post='2648606']
[url="http://media.oregonlive.com/lake_oswego/photo/mckennongolfbagjpg-f6a3ecceef64037c.jpg"]This one? [/url]
[/quote]
Yep thats it, notice the finger loop. That is the Mackenzie bag, he later changed the location of the finger loop. This bag was on the site in several places, but he took them off.

[quote name='Crimson0516' timestamp='1282209327' post='2648627']
There is no possible way he would have a close up of Mackenzie bag on his site..........
[/quote]

100% he did have a close up of a Mackenzie bag on his site. He labeled the pic his "first prototype". It was the bag that Todd made for him when he was still at Nike. It had his initials and the Nike swoosh on it on the handle. You could still see that as well as the place where he removed the Mackenzie bag tag. The pic was removed in his latest website redesign apparently but it was still up as recently as mid July.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

[quote name='Dr Rangelove' timestamp='1282161998' post='2647616']
[quote name='KickaPoo' timestamp='1282096825' post='2646129']
[quote name='rjklein4470' timestamp='1282006836' post='2643419']
[quote name='KickaPoo' timestamp='1282000552' post='2643160']
[quote name='rjklein4470' timestamp='1281851881' post='2639221']
Crimson, I just wish he had altered the design a little more. [/quote]

how much altering can you really do to a leather sunday type bag? they're all pretty similar in design
[/quote]

The sky is the limit, as a designer I could easily do half a dozen sketches in about 45 minutes.
[/quote]

well, i dont see what the big deal is. a lot of companies make blades that look the same, a lot of companies make putters that look the same, these 2 companies want to make replicas of the old leather Sunday bags.
[/quote]
The big deal involves a man that tried to buy MacKenzie and when they didn't want to sell he started his own company, replicating the bag of the company that denied him ownership capabilities, and then came out with a story about how he saw a void in the marketplace and capitalized on it. I think it's really his blatant copy and Mayberryesque story on his website that bothers me most. His shameless promotion about how his company came about just gets my BS meter pegged.
[/quote]

well, the way i look at it is like this: they're both just replicating the same old design of old leather sunday bags. companies do this all the time. hell, some companies buy the same iron heads from a component company and just restamp them with their own logo. and how many companies make Anser style copies and 8802 style copies and stamp their name on it? Nobody seems to care about that. why is a bag any different? especially with an old fashioned leather sunday bag replica that isnt supposed to have modern touches added to it like dual straps, multiple pockets, etc. they were all pretty much the same back then too

Came across this photo of "the first bag" from McKennon, note holes from the removed MacKenzie, the initials stitched on as well as the Nike Swoosh logo that he had requested from Todd when he had the bag custom made for him.

http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/09twgotybdgr.html

Also I came across this great site, The Walking Golfer, with pictures of Todd and a presentation bag MacKenzie had made. Love the shots of Bandon as well as the pix showing Todd in full swing - he really can play and was a former head pro as well as GM at The Reserve in Portland, a course that has seen a number of events from the tour and has been listed in best places to play's top 50.

I own a MacKenzie bag--purchased years ago @ a club in AZ from what appears to be before the current ownership.

I attempted to purchase a new MacKenzie about 2 years ago. The process was coming along wonderfully until my credit card information was given. Communication ceased from that end. After numerous attempts to contact MacKenzie by phone and email over a 90 day period I gave up and waited to see if a charge would occur on my card. A charge never occurred and no further communication was sent or received by myself or MacKenzie. My sole point of contact @ MacKenzie was Todd R. and a charge has never occurred, for the record.

A few months back, the McKennon golf bag came to market. I communicated with owners of said bag and all things seemed kosher. I researched other avenues about McKennon Golf and Mike McKennon when I was contacted by Mr. McKennon about his golf bag. He had read posts on golfwrx and had questions for me--he wanted my opinion on the products. We discussed his bag, my bag, leather Sunday bags in general, golf, cars, women, kids, courses, the weather, profanity, peanut butter, and issues I had gone through with his competitor.

Long story short, I received a contact phone call from a gentleman at MacKenzie regarding my past issues. He stated Mike McKennon had contacted him--which is true, I have a copy of the email--and wanted me to get him up to speed about it so he could help rectify it. This gentleman was new to the company and I explained the situation. I was assured that all things would be corrected and, as soon as I was ready, a MacKenzie bag would be produced to my requests and satisfaction. I was at work during the phone calls and could not complete business at that time, and I assured the gentleman at MacKenzie I would be in contact soon with other questions and possible requests before the order.

Through subsequent emails with MacKenzie I found out that yes, all my requests could be handled and a new bag would be produced ASAP, for the sum of $745. Which would have been fine, had I placed my order when bags were $745. Unfortunately for MacKenzie and their apparent misstep with the "minor details," my order was placed originally when bags were $695. I don't feel I should be responsible for an additional $50 charge for a bag when the fault for the botched order was completely on their shoulders. The details surrounding my original conversations with MacKenzie staff were recollected by them so I found it odd such an oversight could occur.

I also find it odd, yet amusingly impressive, that said recollection could occur 1.5 years between the inital order, submission of credit card info, and the "phone call"...yet the only reason I got the phone call was because their competition--who is so out to copy and/or destroy them as some seem to believe--was kind enough to pass my situation on to them as a reminder.

I'm also amused that MacKenzie was upset with McKennon for sticking his nose into business between myself and MacKenzie, when the only reason they even contacted me back after 1.5 years was because Mike McKennon asked them to.

Never once did Mike McKennon try to sell me a bag, a headcover, or anything else. Never once. Never...once. I want that clear. Never once did he try to persuade me to buy his product over MacKenzie. He went above and beyond to take care of a customer--a customer who wasn't even his to begin with.

Both companies have representatives who seem to be personable enough, and both are (thankfully) local to me where I could drive over and check them out. I have had this offer from McKennon but not from MacKenzie, if that matters.

I own products from both companies, and have no issues with the quality. Both are terrific. Any future purchases will be from McKennon, and I don't think I really have to elaborate as to why.

There is more to this, but for those who wanted a MacKenzie vs. McKennon story, now you freakin' have one.

Cheers,

Dan

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

dan360, thanks for the enlightening tale of management gone array. I think this was a time when Todd may have been dealing with some rather serious health issues within his immediate family, still, it's not that big of an operation and I wish he would have had someone take over operations for a while so stories like this would come to light. I agree, he should have honored the earlier price as well as bent over backwards to make you a happy camper. I've heard many stories where he's the good guy, including my own where he actually lent me a bag to try before I received mine... for a period of 6 weeks. Things happen and people slip up, we live and learn and hopefully Todd is monitoring this thread so he can continue on with support and that he can correct his operations so this doesn't happen again.

And crimson, I can't figure out what was "crude and glued", taped, stitched and stapled on the bag pictured, it just looks like a MacKenzie with the tag removed. Why would it fall apart by the end of the round? Did he remove stitching as well, doesn't look like it.

[quote name='Dr Rangelove' timestamp='1283207364' post='2669697']
dan360, thanks for the enlightening tale of management gone array. I think this was a time when Todd may have been dealing with some rather serious health issues within his immediate family, still, it's not that big of an operation and I wish he would have had someone take over operations for a while so stories like this would come to light. I agree, he should have honored the earlier price as well as bent over backwards to make you a happy camper. I've heard many stories where he's the good guy, including my own where he actually lent me a bag to try before I received mine... for a period of 6 weeks. Things happen and people slip up, we live and learn and hopefully Todd is monitoring this thread so he can continue on with support and that he can correct his operations so this doesn't happen again.

And crimson, I can't figure out what was "crude and glued", taped, stitched and stapled on the bag pictured, it just looks like a MacKenzie with the tag removed. Why would it fall apart by the end of the round? Did he remove stitching as well, doesn't look like it.
[/quote]

I believe it was right around the same time as the health concerns. I don't have anything bad to say about Todd, nor about MacKenzie in general when it comes to personal issues. Everybody seems like a great person, and I wish them the best.

On the business side with MacKenzie, many things were said and done that made me take a step back and wonder "now how could that be?" In all honesty, the whole process reminded me of being at a car dealership negotiated a deal on a vehicle with a salesman who kept stepping on his own tongue.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Personally I think we all have a responsibility to be careful. Keep in mind small companies are what make our country great, however they have a small voice and do not get that many second chances. I larger company can make all kinds of mistakes with the consumer because they can market around them, and generate sales to overcome the mistakes. A small company can not. I had a great experience with Mackenzie bags, and was upset to see there was a replica.

I will say competition is good, and will make both comapies better. I just wish that Mckennon had made more of a effort to make his bags different. I am in the design industry and there is some insane tallent in the market place.

A contemporary walking bag out of leather would do very well. I love my Mackenzie, but also love the idea of a very cool walking bag. When I am hitting balls on the range, when I hit that point ( every golfer knows what I am talking about ) I just pick up my bag and go walk a few. It is making me a better golfer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Crimson....good to see you're still around!

Get s'more pics of that weather beaten McKennon bag up here...I wanna see it full of clubs!

[quote name='dan360' timestamp='1285401860' post='2713232']
Crimson....good to see you're still around!

Get s'more pics of that weather beaten McKennon bag up here...I wanna see it full of clubs!
[/quote]

[quote name='Crimson0516' timestamp='1285724323' post='2719064']
There it is right there! I have put it out to pasture but it was amazing for years!
[/quote]

I am confused. How could you have had a McKennon back for years? The company is only 2 years old...

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

• 3 months later...

I have been talking to Mike over the last week or so about possibly ordering a bag. He has been more than helpful and has sent some leather samples out without me even asking. He also called me and told me to let him know if I need any additional leather colors or threads.

Taylor Made M2 9.5* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6
Taylor Made M2 Tour 15* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7
Titleist 913H 19* Diamana White Board
Taylor Made P760 4-P X100
Ping Glide 52
Vokey SM5 56 & 60
Cameron IBBF Laguna 2.5