2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

McKennon Bags

Anyone have a recent one?
Some years ago I bought a all leather McKennon carry bag. I was wondering if anyone had ordered one recently and if the quality was just as good. Very simple---single strap, one divider, two pockets and lifetime guarantee. They are expensive $699 I think but they are high quality. The old ones didn't have any type of stay so you couldn't remove any clubs with the bottom of the bag on the ground because it would collapse (accordian like). Wonder if the new ones had any stiffener?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1280522154' post='2608795']
Some years ago I bought a all leather McKennon carry bag. I was wondering if anyone had ordered one recently and if the quality was just as good. Very simple---single strap, one divider, two pockets and lifetime guarantee. They are expensive $699 I think but they are high quality. The old ones didn't have any type of stay so you couldn't remove any clubs with the bottom of the bag on the ground because it would collapse (accordian like). Wonder if the new ones had any stiffener?
[/quote]

Bob,

Are you sure that you have a McKennon Golf Bag from six years ago? I believe they only went into production earlier this year.

They produce an almost identical golf bag to the MacKenzie Golf Bag Company, also located in Portland, OR and have a very similar name and logo - it is easy for people to get confused - NOT that I am telling you what kind of sack you are slinging over your shoulder when you tee it!

MacKenzie Golf Bags have been making the two pocket Walker and single pocket Sunday bag for about 25 years. The company was owned by Peter Jacobsen and several partners initially and is now owned by Todd Rohrer who took it over 5ish years ago. Some of the old MacKenzie Bags had a different badge than the current ones. They now have a "batten" in the bag to keep it from going "accordion like" (good term) when you stand it up.

MacKenzie and McKennon have no business relationship - they are two separate entities with different ownership, employees, etc. etc. MacKenzie and Jones Golf Bags of Portland also have no business relationship. It looks like McKennon recently acquired Jones.

The leather quality of the "Post-Todd" MacKenzie Golf Bags is excellent - I have a Walker and a Sunday Bag and thoroughly enjoy carrying them. I live in Oregon and have carried my leather golf bags in torrential rain. The bag does just fine and dries out to its "pre-deluge" state.

Hmm, the finger loop is in a different spot (under the front pocket instead of between the pocket) and the rivets are not exactly the same but from the next fairway over I would swear that your bag was a MacKenzie Walker and the Headcovers look identical as well. It looks like McKennon literally copied what MacKenzie is making stitch by stitch.

Are there any differences?

BTW - That is a very nice looking golf bag! I hope you enjoy many great walks with that sack on your shoulder.

As I was reading a recent issue of GolfWeek I noticed that they were high lighting bags. The last of the 3 was directed at McKennon Players Bag, I honestly thought it was a typo. I figured WTF, having a MacKenzie Walker that looks identical except for color I really did think someone at GolfWeek just mis-spelled the company name, I decided to check up and punched in the Mackennon website address. Interesting, it really is a nice looking site but left me with a feeling of smoke up the butt. I found out more info in this article on OregonLive (complete with excellent public input):

http://www.oregonlive.com/lake-oswego/index.ssf/2010/02/mike_mckennon_of_lake_oswego_makes_golf_bags_the_old-fashioned_way_with_fine_leather_and_few_gizmos.html

So here was a guy that got laid off from Nike, had a boatload of $$$, wanted to buy MacKenzie but they didn't want to sell so McKennon made a copy, came up with a story that is only missing a Rockafeller Saturday Evening Post knock off and dumped his extra $$ into marketing as opposed to MacKenzies word of mouth grass roots way of doing business.

From the McKennon Site:

About us:
Playing with some friends last summer I noticed the simple design of bags I carried in high school and college were gone. They were replaced by complicated, cluttered bags laden with straps, zippers, pockets and stands. I missed the single strap. I missed carrying the bag on either shoulder. I missed the chatter of the irons as I walked down the fairway. I missed a single divider. I missed simple headcovers. So, right there and then, The McKennon Golf Bag Company was born. At McKennon we believe the golf bag should do more than carry your equipment. It should enhance the experience of playing the game itself. Our intense passion and relentless drive are evident in each and every product that we handcraft in Lake Oswego, Oregon. On behalf of my wife Marlo, and our kids Jack, Grace, Ruby and the entire company we hope that you enjoy your experience with the McKennon products.

I feel sorry for Todd at MacKenzie and his workers on any lost revenue that is now going to a diluted market for hand made leather walking bags.

Thank you for posting Dr Rangelove - and what a nice bag you have got there...

I have a MacKenzie Walker on order and must admit I am glad I went with MacKenzie...However I am sure both MacKenzie and McKennon make fine bags - the ethical issue of basically copying the bag of a company that you tried to buy just leaves a lot to be desired IMO!

[quote name='Villadsen' timestamp='1281294174' post='2626219']

I have a MacKenzie Walker on order and must admit I am glad I went with MacKenzie...However I am sure both MacKenzie and McKennon make fine bags - the ethical issue of basically copying the bag of a company that you tried to buy just leaves a lot to be desired IMO!
[/quote]
I could not agree more. I am in the design industry, and there is no way I would purchase the McKennon because of the design infringement. I understand that Mckennon tried to get together and buy Mackenzie, but what ever happend in that deal it does not give the right to copy design.

The quotes on his web site is what got me, acting like he designed this bag from scratch. The purchase of Jones was just to get around the fact they knocked off another company. In my opinion, the fact that McKennon did not change the desgin, shows a lack of creativity and ethics.

[quote name='rjklein4470' timestamp='1281390406' post='2628594']
[quote name='Villadsen' timestamp='1281294174' post='2626219']

[/quote]
I could not agree more. I am in the design industry, and there is no way I would purchase the McKennon because of the design infringement. I understand that Mckennon tried to get together and buy Mackenzie, but what ever happend in that deal it does not give the right to copy design.

The quotes on his web site is what got me, acting like he designed this bag from scratch. The purchase of Jones was just to get around the fact they knocked off another company. In my opinion, the fact that McKennon did not change the desgin, shows a lack of creativity and ethics.
[/quote]

Its too bad that so many people out there feel that it is OK to just knock-off someone else's designs. To just about anyone not knowing either company and looking at the two bags side by side, 99% of them would think they are looking at bags made by the same company.

That is trade dress infringment, plain and simple.

McKennon was probably laid off because he had no marketing creativity or poor ethics. Both of which are apparent in his shameless knockoff product.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Having gone to MacKenzie when I ordered my bag and seeing the shop and being introduced to the workers I can honestly say I'm proud to have one of their bags. Todd personally went through skin after skin to make sure I received what I was visualizing. His employees are loyal, hard working, and seem to be practically family. However, to those who say Todd didn't return my call or email, these workers are not management, they are craftsmen and perhaps Todd would rather they didn't work with the client directly. I do not mean that as a slight against them, it's just Todd can get to a point with a client that would possibly take someone else 4 times longer. And if there's a reason for nobody's answering phones it's because Todd has some family issues that are quite critical and need addressing which I'm not going to get into but require some to back off and give him some leeway. This is a company that is what independent enterprise is about, not making a copy and coming up with a marketing tag about how you're filling a void that existed. That to me is one of the biggest loads of crap I've ever read and I wish McKennon would have put some innovation into his bags to back up that claim.

yes he does have cash. It is also my understanding that he played on tour, and worked for Nike for several years before getting laid off. Working for Nike, I can see why he might think it is ok to Pirate sombody elses work, not bashing Nike but that is just how it is in the bigger industry. However this is different, Mckennon has cash he could have hierd a designer and come up with a great leather bag. Just not sure why he didnt.

Nice slam on Nike! I agree. So I have talked to McKennon 4 or 5 times. As I have said I have his bag and the experience was incredible. I felt like I was his only customer. I get a couple of feelings from him

1.) The leather bag thing is not so much about product as it is about giving a better experience to the customer. He never said a bad word about Mackenzie but I just felt like that is why he got into business. Of course I chimed in a few month ago and people were writing me about their terrible experience with Mackenzie. Paid money and never heard back from them...sent a bag back for repair and they lost it etc....I have a Mackenzie bag and I like it. I just like the size, weight, and service of McKennon better. And the fact that he is a player...loved talking about what made the bag better with him. Felt like he listened to all of it (maybe he didn't!)

2.) Here is the big thing. I get this feeling that the leather thing is more of a "hobby" for McKennon. By that I mean there is something bigger up his sleeve. I think that he wants to get into the everyday bag business...kind of make the greatest carry bag in golf type thing. Just a feeling a got from a few things hew siad in our conversations....Think about it...he has money...he is a player...and he has a chip on his shoulder from Nike. I for one, (and it seems like the only on on this thread) would buy a non leather carry bag from that guiy in a New york minute.

Crimson, I just wish he had altered the design a little more. I do think there is a market for better bags, that are well made, and well designed. I was a skydiver for many years, and there is some great light weight materials out there that bag manufactures should look into, and dont get me started on Carbon fiber.

crimson, on the other thread about MacKenzie you were the one character promoting the McKennon bag more then anyone... are you really Mike McKennon?

Also you stated:

Are you kidding me? Twenty replies straight to me. 20. They all say the same thing.. Mackenzie somehow screwed them. Tired of answering. Tired of trying to rationalize. Here is the deal.. Bought them both in the last 10 years. McKennon blew away Mackenzie. Not even close. Hate them, bash them, I don't care. If you have something to say about Mackenzie or McKennon, air it here. All of you want to lay low but still get all the answers. Put it out there or go away. McKennon didn't give me a deal, or a free bag. Mackenzie didn't either. I am just a guy trying to buy a bag. I made my choice and couldn't be happier. In my opinion, the best golf bag in the world is McKennon. If you have a different take, air it here. Just stop writing me and bashing Mackenzie. Do it in the forum or don't do it.

If you have any of these "Twenty Replies" please post samplings 'cause otherwise I'm call it BS.

[b]If anyone here was one of those Twenty then please post your issues as I really can not believe any unsubstantiated rumors about the quality of a MacKenzie Bag.[/b] This would also be helpful to those considering such a pricey investment.

My last statement before going back to work is would anyone here buy a knock-off driver or irons even if they were made here in the states? Plagiarism is plagiarism, if you can make something improved fine, but don't replicate and then say it was you who invented the wheel.

I am not sure I am promoting it (and not I am not McKennon) as I have mentioned that I liked my Mackenzie but my experience was much better with McKennon. And my comments earlier weren't about the quality of Mackenzie at all, rather people contacted me about service. You pay a grand for a bag and headcovers you need a call back.. I knew there were problems but that was an eye opener. If you don't like McKennon bags, don't buy them. Simple as that. It was just my experience. As far as being a knock off..that is his name and that is where he lives so I am not sure he is trying to copy anything brand type thing. As far as the bags goes...it's lighter, less expensive and the service was incredible. Still get a call rom the guy every now and then to check in....does it suck that he took an exsting design and made it better? No. Better for the consumer.......as someone mentioned eralier tell me the difference between that and Ping/Cameron.

[quote name='KickaPoo' timestamp='1282000552' post='2643160']
[quote name='rjklein4470' timestamp='1281851881' post='2639221']
Crimson, I just wish he had altered the design a little more. [/quote]

how much altering can you really do to a leather sunday type bag? they're all pretty similar in design
[/quote]

The sky is the limit, as a designer I could easily do half a dozen sketches in about 45 minutes.

[quote name='Crimson0516' timestamp='1282007139' post='2643430']
And for the record I would never post the replys or emails of members without their permission. That was the point of my email. Rangeglove, do you really think there is no problem with Mackenzies service?
[/quote]
From personal experience, as well as others noted in this and other threads, there is no problem with MacKenzie customer service. If there are these 20 members that contacted you with issues I'd like to hear from them... [b]on this thread so everyone knows to stay away if that's the case.[/b]

As far as "how much altering can you really do to a leather sunday type bag? they're all pretty similar in design" it only takes imagination to change something and make it different, hell, I wish my Mac had stands and a dual strap. If I was to form a company making nice leather bags I'd try to get a little modern function in there, just not the 30 pockets for everything from your balls to your Sharpie. Maybe that's why I'm on such a tear over the McKennon Bag Co., what they lack in imaginative or innovative design they make up for in creative marketing.

Honestly from their website statements making it sound like this was there idea to come up with a leather Sunday Bag to their blatant copy bag of a MacKenzie Walker I have no desire to ever own or even recommend one for that matter. If I didn't know that this character tried to purchase MacKenzie before forming his own company I might feel differently but I know about it so that's just the way I feel.

[quote name='Dr Rangelove' timestamp='1282012259' post='2643722']
[quote name='Crimson0516' timestamp='1282007139' post='2643430']
And for the record I would never post the replys or emails of members without their permission. That was the point of my email. Rangeglove, do you really think there is no problem with Mackenzies service?
[/quote]
From personal experience, as well as others noted in this and other threads, there is no problem with MacKenzie customer service. If there are these 20 members that contacted you with issues I'd like to hear from them... [b]on this thread so everyone knows to stay away if that's the case.[/b]

As far as "how much altering can you really do to a leather sunday type bag? they're all pretty similar in design" it only takes imagination to change something and make it different, hell, I wish my Mac had stands and a dual strap. If I was to form a company making nice leather bags I'd try to get a little modern function in there, just not the 30 pockets for everything from your balls to your Sharpie. Maybe that's why I'm on such a tear over the McKennon Bag Co., what they lack in imaginative or innovative design they make up for in creative marketing.

Honestly from their website statements making it sound like this was there idea to come up with a leather Sunday Bag to their blatant copy bag of a MacKenzie Walker I have no desire to ever own or even recommend one for that matter. If I didn't know that this character tried to purchase MacKenzie before forming his own company I might feel differently but I know about it so that's just the way I feel.
[/quote]

Crimson, you posted this in a different thread on the same subject:

[i][b]Own both the Mackenzie Bag and the McKennon Player's Bag. Like the McKennon Player's Bag much better. Lighter, less expensive, better leather and a better guarantee. I guess my answer would be that I love that syle of bag, just prefer the Mckennon Bag over the MacKenzie Bag. [/b][/i]

If you think McKennon bags are SOOOO much better than Mackenzie bags, please enlighten me and others on this forum and post pictures of the bags side-by-side and show us why.

My guess, is they look identical. [u][b]But please, prove me wrong[/b]. [/u]Show me any tangible differences and I'll gladly apologize in this thread.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

[quote name='dpark' timestamp='1282024837' post='2644025']

Crimson, you posted this in a different thread on the same subject:

[i][b]Own both the Mackenzie Bag and the McKennon Player's Bag. Like the McKennon Player's Bag much better. Lighter, less expensive, better leather and a better guarantee. I guess my answer would be that I love that syle of bag, just prefer the Mckennon Bag over the MacKenzie Bag. [/b][/i]

If you think McKennon bags are SOOOO much better than Mackenzie bags, please enlighten me and others on this forum and post pictures of the bags side-by-side and show us why.

My guess, is they look identical. [u][b]But please, prove me wrong[/b]. [/u]Show me any tangible differences and I'll gladly apologize in this thread.
[/quote]

I think he just did. Lighter, less expensive, better leather and better guarantee. I think those would all be reasons he thinks McKennon bags are better than MacKenzie bags to him.

To me, both bags look pretty cool. Wish I had the coin to get either one.

I just did, I am not sure what else I am supposed to like about it. I haven't played any better since I bought it. I guess you can check trhe "I don't like this about it" box as far as that goes.

I am not sure why any consumer wouldn't welcome competition in any form, especially in the high end products. We as consumers are the ones who win with more competition. For the companies themselves it is Darwinian. I am not fighting the fight for anyone here, just sharing my experience with the group and people can do what they want with it. You spend almost $1,000 with headcovers...it is a huge decision....not like you can just run down to Dick's and browse through their selection of McKennon and Mackenzie bags...this is invaluable information for people who are making these decisions.

If Mackenzie is any kind of business man competition will drive him to get better....maybe cheaper too, who knows....maybe his customer service gets better, his product gets better...whatever it is we as consumers win.

I have never said that the bags look different. They don't. They are very similar....in fact he in essence copied the bag.... but for the finger loop being on top of the bag, the rivets are different, and it is smaller and a couple of hardware things...but those are some of the things I love about the bag. McKennon is a player. I like that too. He told me that he didn't develop the bag based on things he liked about bags, rather on things he didn't like about bags. For instance, I carry my bag on both shoulders. I switch it around during the round...the finger loop on McKenn's bag is bellow the ball pocket in the center of the bag...no matter how I carry it the grab loop is right there in a very logical place. My Mackenzie has the finger loop on the side of the bag...when I carry the bag one way it is convenient....when I carry it the other way it is a pain. Little things I know, like a cup holder in a car. It is also smaller. 1/2 inch smaller but it is a noticeable difference...lighter and more manureverable that way...again, small thing but you drop a grand on a bag and you want it how you want it. Maybe some guys like it bigger...that's cool. Just not me. When I got leather samples from McKennon he also sent me 10 rivets in steel, and 10 rivets in aluminum...to show me the difference in weight...loved that service but it also showed me some of the ways he was making the bag lighter.

I am not here to tell you what company is better, only to tell you my experience. It's your money so you will have to spend it how you see fit and I hope my feedback helps some people.

Whether you like Mackenzie or McKennon, it is not like either one is the first to make this kind of bag. Go to any garage sale and you will find some old bags that look exactly same as either one of these(in style, not quality). It is the same as Scotty Cameron or anyone else that make a anser style putter. We all know it started with Ping, but the copies are really good and sometimes fit our eyes better. The same is true here too. Both companies make copies of an old school carry bag that some of us had when we were younger

Both make great bags that look awesome. So you can't go wrong with either one. But there are some slight difference in size and price.

For me it was all about communication. McKennon bag company was awesome and got back to my emails right away, while Mackenzie bag company didn't even return my emails.

[quote name='rjklein4470' timestamp='1282006836' post='2643419']
[quote name='KickaPoo' timestamp='1282000552' post='2643160']
[quote name='rjklein4470' timestamp='1281851881' post='2639221']
Crimson, I just wish he had altered the design a little more. [/quote]

how much altering can you really do to a leather sunday type bag? they're all pretty similar in design
[/quote]

The sky is the limit, as a designer I could easily do half a dozen sketches in about 45 minutes.
[/quote]

well, i dont see what the big deal is. a lot of companies make blades that look the same, a lot of companies make putters that look the same, these 2 companies want to make replicas of the old leather Sunday bags.