2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Old Macgregor Ironmaster(s) Putters

What do you know about them? What do you have?
As you can see from my name, I am an avid Macgregor Ironmaster collector. I specialize in obscure I/Ms, LIke left-handed Tommy Armours, and Ironmasters with another pro's signature on the bottom, instead of tommy Armour.
If you have similar interests or have any oddball Ironmasters let me know.

Now for a little bit of history. no snoring aloud.
Macgregor started selling its Tommy ArmourTourney clubs in the mid 1930's. The entire set of clubs, woods, irons and putter immediately became the preferred clubs of professional golfers. The Ironmaster's putter showed up in that era and was sometimes sold along with a set of irons. It was a 10 iron
Original Ironmaster's Putters had "Macgregor, Silver Scot Tourney" stamped on the bottom on one side of Tommy Armour's autograph and a model number. (3852, 3752, etc) and Putter oin the other. The number related to the Tommy Armour Silver Scott Tourney Iron sets model Number. the most common ,3852, related to a standard set of irons. 3852 stood for a set with 38.5" shaft on the 2-iron. Hence 38 5 2. 3752 irons were 1 inch shorter. between the late 30' and the end of the war (that's WW II for you young pups), the model number was deleted. And after the war, the possessive " 's " was removed and it became the Ironmaster usually seen today.

Some of my information may not be totally accurate. But I believe most of it is correct. Log in and let me know if there's interest in this topic.
I have a lot more info on models like IMG IMGL etc. as well as some really unusual stuff.

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1280775183' post='2613567']
As you can see from my name, I am an avid Macgregor Ironmaster collector. I specialize in obscure I/Ms, LIke left-handed Tommy Armours, and Ironmasters with another pro's signature on the bottom, instead of tommy Armour.

Macgregor started selling its Tommy ArmourTourney clubs in the mid 1930's. The entire set of clubs, woods, irons and putter immediately became the preferred clubs of professional golfers. The Ironmaster's putter showed up in that era and was sometimes sold along with a set of irons. It was a 10 iron
Original Ironmaster's Putters had "Macgregor, Silver Scot Tourney" stamped on the bottom on one side of Tommy Armour's autograph and a model number. (3852, 3752, etc) and Putter oin the other. The number related to the Tommy Armour Silver Scott Tourney Iron sets model Number. the most common ,3852, related to a standard set of irons. 3852 stood for a set with 38.5" shaft on the 2-iron. Hence 38 5 2. 3752 irons were 1 inch shorter. between the late 30' and the end of the war (that's WW II for you young pups), the model number was deleted. And after the war, the possessive " 's " was removed and it became the Ironmaster usually seen today.

Some of my information may not be totally accurate. But I believe most of it is correct. Log in and let me know if there's interest in this topic.
I have a lot more info on models like IMG IMGL etc. as well as some really unusual stuff.
[/quote]

I love the IronMaster stuff..
I have several, but what I would REALLY love to have is one of these Armour Persimmon mallets, with the red fiber inserts!
There was an auction on ebay a few weeks back for a lot of alternatively named Ironmasters.. Demaret, Claude Harmon, etc.. Very cool.
I love the 3852s with geen pencil shaft!

[quote name='persimmonpal' timestamp='1280776632' post='2613619']

[/quote]

I have several, but what I would REALLY love to have is one of these Armour Persimmon mallets, with the red fiber inserts!
There was an auction on ebay a few weeks back for a lot of alternatively named Ironmasters.. Demaret, Claude Harmon, etc.. Very cool.
[/quote]

There is a mallet head armour on e-bay now along with a couple of other old Armours. This is the same sesller who had the group of non-armour ironmasters a month ago...Zetch in Ct, I think. Good guy. Incidently, I am the guy who bought the Ironmasters you are referring to. It almost doubled my collection of oddities. I already have a mallet or I would be on that auction.

good luck
B

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1280781536' post='2613834']

[/quote]

[/quote]

There is a mallet head armour on e-bay now along with a couple of other old Armours. This is the same sesller who had the group of non-armour ironmasters a month ago...Zetch in Ct, I think. Good guy. Incidently, I am the guy who bought the Ironmasters you are referring to. It almost doubled my collection of oddities. I already have a mallet or I would be on that auction.

good luck
B
[/quote]
Congratulations on the pickup!! I wanted to purchase them, but couldnt get the cash together..
Do you have any doubles of alternate named IronMasters?? I would love to pick one up, if you are interested in selling/trading something.. I do persimmon refinish work if you are looking for any!
I saw that listing on ebay.. the only thing that concerns me is that the description says it has an extended line.. I am going to ask the seller if he can post a pic of the crown... It would be a real shame if there was a site line added right through the Tommy Armour stamp.
Take care!

[quote name='persimmonpal' timestamp='1280857846' post='2615672']
[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1280781536' post='2613834']

[/quote]

[/quote]

good luck
B
[/quote]
Congratulations on the pickup!! I wanted to purchase them, but couldnt get the cash together..
Do you have any doubles of alternate named IronMasters?? I would love to pick one up, if you are interested in selling/trading something.. I do persimmon refinish work if you are looking for any!
I saw that listing on ebay.. the only thing that concerns me is that the description says it has an extended line.. I am going to ask the seller if he can post a pic of the crown... It would be a real shame if there was a site line added right through the Tommy Armour stamp.
Take care!
[/quote]

The Persimmon head Armour putters all have afull width sight line on the crown. Armour's signature is stamped on the brass sole plate.
I have a 3 or 4 of Herman Barron Ironmasters; but none are the same model.Same goes for Chuck Tannis and Chick Harbert. As soon as I get the hang of this site, I will post some pics of my favorites. Bob

I have more than 10 of this kind of putter just curious what code stand for ?

- some IRON MASTER some TOURNEY CLASSIC.
- some IMG,IMGL,IM and som TCP
- They have number run after that some say 2 ,3,4 or 5 etc.
- some say SILVER SCOT 708 ,709 ,801
- some say NEW ROCK SOLE

Please help me to catagorize all of them.Those all are look classy anyway.

Thank you.

[quote name='uenogolf' timestamp='1281785407' post='2637862']

- some say NEW ROCK SOLE

Thank you.
[/quote]

Doing this from memory, so I remember correctly, the IM was the standard hosel. The IMG was the "gooseneck" hosel which wasn't like the goosenecks of today, but closer to the the hosel on the original Wilson 8802s. The IMGL was a ladies version. I believe the IMG5 for example was a 35" putter, the IMG6 was a 36" putter.

Hope this helps

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Titleist TSR3 10* driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Hogan Apex 4 shafts soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

[quote name='uenogolf' timestamp='1281785407' post='2637862']

- some say NEW ROCK SOLE

Thank you.
[/quote]

Your Silver Scot 708,709 and 801 are probably made by Tommy Armour Golf Co, circa 1984-1995 instead of Macgregor. My guess is thay have green Pencil-thin shafts with a pistol grip. made to look like the oldies.
On the Macgregors, the number after the model (ie IMG-6 of IM-5) represents the length of the putter. Add 30 inches to the number for the putter length. IM-5 is 35", etc.
The IM model descriptions are as follows: IM is standard IronMaster with no offset.
IMG has an offset (which is sometimes different on IMG-5 and IMG-6)
IMGL is Ladies model IMG. Usually 33-34" length
IMGN is a true Gooseneck putter
IMGT has a Shakespeare Tru-glas Fibre-glas shaft
Some of the putters have an "A" sight line; some don't.
The IM and IMG model numbers came about in the mid to late 1940's. Early models still had original green shafts until the late 1940's. But usually the shafts were not the pencil-thin type. IMGL IMGN, and IMGT models began in the late 1950s Prior to that time, the model number on the Ironmaster, if there was one, related to the Armour Silver Scot irons, such as 3852MS And they were named IronMaster's with the 'S.
If the putter does not have Armour, or some other pro's signature (my favorites), then it was most likely made after 1967 or 68. Notice that the words Tourney Classic were made to resemble the Tommy Armour signature. This occurred on some woods and irons as well as putters.
If you run accross any ironmasters with other pro's names on them, I am an active buyer.
Bob

• 9 months later...

hi I have old macgregor putter with brass head nothing on the back on the bottom is bear jack nicklaus div macgregor followed by GBN-P the shaft is gold colour still waiting for macgregor to get back to me thanks[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1280775183' post='2613567']

[/quote]

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

[/quote]
[size="2"]I have a MacGregor Tommy Armour Iron Master 34 1/2 inch putter with a green pencil steel shaft and a leather grip. This putter is all original and is in excellent condition for its age. Do you know how old it is?[/size]

• 2 years later...

[/quote] I came across an old IronMaster's Macgregor putter and have searched all over the internet and can't find any putters that match this exact model. On the bottom of the club it says "Iron Master's Putter REC. No. 3852 Macgregor Tommy Armour". Most models I have seen have Silver Scot on the club, yet this one doesn't. If you know anything about this particular model, I would love to know more about it. Thanks, Nick.

[quote name='nickdavis188' timestamp='1407207760' post='9859349']

[/quote] I came across an old IronMaster's Macgregor putter and have searched all over the internet and can't find any putters that match this exact model. On the bottom of the club it says "Iron Master's Putter REC. No. 3852 Macgregor Tommy Armour". Most models I have seen have Silver Scot on the club, yet this one doesn't. If you know anything about this particular model, I would love to know more about it. Thanks, Nick.
[/quote]

To have a 3852 was the ultimate when I was a kid in the early 80's.

• 5 months later...

I have a Tommy Armour. It is marked "MÄCGREGOR" on the toe above the "T" and "IRON MASTER" on the heel below the word Armour. It has two lines on the top, is pinned, and has one set of verticle has marks near the top. The ferrule is black. I am not sure of the material of the shaft... it seems like aluminum... but is not green. Sadly the shaft is slightly bent, but then it seems to work okay like this for me... I use it and it hooks a little. The grip is odd. Original wrapped leather, small, round. The club has tremendous feel. I have never seen another with the same ultra whipping shaft, and the small round grip. I would never sell it because it works... I occasionally cheat on her, but I always come back to her.

It also appears as if my ferrule has a pin in it, too. A little above midway on the fairly long ferrule, directly centered with the face line, there is a perfectly round hole in the ferrule the size of a traditional iron pin, that I won't mess with... as far as I can tell it doesn't go all the way through, but looks as if it was designed that way. Perhaps it related to a tool to get the ferrule flush?

There is nothing like these clubs at set up and I don't know why these weren't imitated instead of the Ping Anser as "the" model for putters. The way the heel flange awkwardly yet roundly juts out is just gorgeous... the smallness of it, and that more direct efficient look of the flange set it apart from the 8802.

Then you have the greatest player, in the prime of his career using it or something akin to it. I love to go back and watch films of Nicklaus winning or trying to win majors in his prime... his stance is just amazing now from a modern perspective... he really did hunker down to putt, just like a bear... he looks so uncomfortable, but also so damn intent... it is the stance of someone with a lot of willpower. How he could remain so steady over the ball from that crouch is amazing, but damn he could putt with that club.

The Iron Master is probably what got me started loving the blade putters back in the '70's. This is my Grandfathers IMG 5 Iron Master. Yes it looks new because my Dad bought it for him along with a full set of Macgregors but he never took up the game.
[attachment=2596587:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1422748424.489652.jpg][attachment=2596589:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1422748444.974872.jpg][attachment=2596593:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1422748475.262365.jpg][attachment=2596595:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1422748496.332421.jpg]

That is sweet. Does it have the original leather grip? I just love the look of the heel at the flange of that club... it means business. My iron master is a little more flaky due to the bent shaft, but it works wonders often enough and keeps me in the game usually. I'd love to have about fifty IMGs to just work through and pick my favorite as to weight, lie, shaft length, shaft flex, and grip. I honestly cannot putt fast greens with anything else... I've wasted a lot trying.

Wow Reid that's crazy cool!

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...

I have an Iron Master putter in very good condition. The bottom is as follows: "MacGregor" in a script-like font in the upper left; "Tommy Armour" slanted across the center; "IMG  5"in the lower right with "IRON MASTER" underneath. The hosel is smooth (no XX rows). The color bands on the ferrule are Red-White-Gold-White from bottom to top. The grip is wrapped black leather with alternating bright gold striping.

Can anybody tell me the approximate date of this model and its possible value? Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Sounds like a 1960 or so version of the famous Tommy Armour line developed by Toney Penna in the 30’s.  The IMG stands for Iron Master and the G is not for Gooseneck (GN) but for slight offset from the straight version, IM.  The 5 usually meant 35 inch shaft, but factory production quality control was pretty sloppy.  The black gold grip was 1960s after the 50’s were mostly red, red/black, dark red, and some had white in them.  Great putters!