2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New Iron selection..

Trxjw

CG2 or MP60?
I'm looking to finally step up from my old cleveland VAS+ irons and into something that actually fits me correctly. (My irons were custom fit for someone else but he sold them to me after 2 months) I'm pretty consistantly shooting around the 78-82 range and I'm looking for a solid iron with enough forgiveness to help out when my swing goes out of whack.

I've heard the MP60s are fantastic. I hit the MP32's on the launch monitor and they felt really nice, but I couldnt really get the long irons up high enough. I thought about possibly a mixed set with MP60's 3-6 and 32's in the 7-9 + PW possibly. (I love my CG10 wedges so much I thought about replacing the PW in the new set with a CG10 46*)

My other option is the CG2. I know the CG4 is a bit more forgiving, but the top line is so thick that it looks awkward to me. I like the look of the CG2's and I love the way the CG10 wedges feel and sound. Do these irons play similar to the wedges in terms of those characteristics? I'm hoping to get to the range this weekend and try them both out.

Basically I'm looking for an iron with enough forgiveness for the average golfer (I only get to play once every 2-3 weeks), but with the look of a players iron with the thin top line. I heard the X-tours are really nice, but 1000 dollars for irons seems a bit pricey to me.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :drinks:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got MP32s as my main clubs, CG4s as my "fat pants", so we're probably thinking along the same lines. I got the MP32s before the MP60s came out and the CG4s before the CG4 Tour came out, so I'm a bit limited in my experience with the latter sets.

So, the first thing that you should at least take a look at is the CG4 Tour. It's still going to look pretty thick to you (much closer to the CG4 than the CG2 in topline). The head is shorter from heel to toe and it has quite a bit less offset than the CG4. There are times when I'd like to carry my CG4 4- and 5-irons with the MP32 short irons, but the big difference in offset makes it feel kind of weird to set up. CG4 Tour would have been better in that respect. The regular CG4's standard shaft is a fairly terrible "ActionLite" which doesn't seem to feel too bad but hits the ball ridiculously high. The CG4 Tour shaft is defintely better (it's "ActionLite Tour"). A regular Dynamic Gold or DGSL would be a big improvement but an expensive change.

CG2 really looks great. It's quite a bit less forgiving than the CG4 or CG4 Tour though. Compared to the MP32, I think it feels somewhat numb - much less sense of mishits, but you pay the distance price. I have some CG10 wedges, and I think they have a bit of the same sense of numbness, so I think that's the CMM metal. Personally, I find that a Titleist 690CB or MB feels really "hard" even on a good contact, the Mizuno feels "soft", and the CMM clubs somewhat numb. I think this might well be a function of the size of the sweet spot (it's probably the size of a Tic tac on those 690s, and I'm fooling myself if I think I'm hitting it square!).

One other minor complaint about the CMM clubs... You've got a CG10, so you know that the chrome they use seems to mark up very easily. The irons are no different. On thing that I find particuarly annoying is that the matte finish on the topline of the CG4s is very easily scratched and marked up in the bag. I don't care about marks on the face of the clubs too much (well, those toe hits are ugly) but the topline marks really bug me.

I don't think I feel much difference between the MP32 and MP60 in the few times that I've hit the 60's. You should definitely try those out to make sure. I definitely think that the MP32s hit higher than when I've tested out the CG2 with the same shafts.

Finally, I bought an X-Tour 6-iron on eBay just on a lark. If you can't get over the thick topline, you won't like these (they are camoflaging the thickness by making part of the top shiny and part matte), but they are actually quite awesome. They're kind of funny because they're thick like the other Callaways, but very very short from heel to toe, so the ball looks oddly big when you set up. No offset either. But it's extremely forgiving and really has a lot of feel.

So, I guess I'd lean toward the Mizunos on feel and appearance. Perhaps it's worth looking at the MX-23 to see if it's appropriate. In retrospect, I think that they would have been a better backup for me than the CG4s, although they were signficantly more expensive (I got the CG4s new but fairly cheap on eBay). I'd definitely hit the X-Tour and see whether the X-18 Pro is worth looking at as well.

CG4 Tour might fit the bill for you as well... :drinks:

thats a pretty good idea, but i do know that the cg2s are great. i have cg4s and once you go CMM u never go back, that's why im thinkin about upgrading to the cg2s. i also have a 46* cg10 and it was def a good move so if ur on edge with that, go for it. you do get the same feel on a pure hit with the cg2/4s as with the cg10 wedges (thank you cmm). forgings are sweet though, ive just never tried the 60s out yet!

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I've got some good ideas of what to look for when I go to try them all out. I did look at the CG4 tours at Golf Galaxy when I was there a month or two ago. They seemed a bit "fat" for my taste but I'll definetly take another look. I love the CMM wedges, I don't think the feel is "numb" at all, I actually feel like the CMM gives me a better judge of the type of shot I hit than other irons do. But as mentioned before, I am concerned with the wear and tear that the CMM seems to take. I don't want to have to replace my irons after 2 years because they're too dinged up to use.

But again, thanks for all the help. :drinks:

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I've got some good ideas of what to look for when I go to try them all out. I did look at the CG4 tours at Golf Galaxy when I was there a month or two ago. They seemed a bit "fat" for my taste but I'll definetly take another look. I love the CMM wedges, I don't think the feel is "numb" at all, I actually feel like the CMM gives me a better judge of the type of shot I hit than other irons do. But as mentioned before, I am concerned with the wear and tear that the CMM seems to take. I don't want to have to replace my irons after 2 years because they're too dinged up to use.

But again, thanks for all the help. :drinks:

Every time I do a little comparisson shopping and look at various iron models, I always now think of the Ping I5's as a little fat and ugly... but still, if they produce the best results bar none, I'll still probably go with them... so maybe a little extra fat isn't always a bad thing :drinks:

I picked up a set of CG2's when they first came out. My only real complaint is that they showed signs of wear faster than anything else I had ever played. I play once a week and hit the range about three times a week. After about a month, and I take extreme care of all my sticks, the CG2's looked like they where at least a year old. I was completely disappointed with how they held up. They went the death of e-bay immediately.

Compared to MP-60's, IMHO there is no comparison...

Driver: Callaway ROGUE w/Tour AD Di-6
3w & 5w: Callaway Epic Sub Zero w/Tour AD Di-7
4h: Callaway Epic
5-PW: Callaway Apex MB '18
Wedges: 50* & 54* Mack Daddy 4, 60* Mizuno T7
Putter: Taylormade Tour Spider
Ball: Taylormade TP5x

I have owned and played with many different forged iron sets like TM 300 forged, MP-30, MP-32, X-Tour and I prefer my CG2's to all of these sets and this is my second season with these. On a pure shot the ball just seems to stay on the clubface longer and feels softer than any of the other forged sets I've tried. I also like the minimal amount of offset and have enjoyed much success working the ball with these.

As far as the wear goes they do seem to wear a little more than other sets, which is why I just try to use a little extra care with them like keeping them clean and using head covers.

With the way I have been hitting these recently, I can't see switching to anything else anytime soon although the club HO that I am I sure enjoy looking and testing the other irons out there! Goodluck in your search!

Driver - TaylorMade Stealth2 9* w/ Project X HZRDUS 6.0 60g

3 wood - Sonartec NP99 w/ Matrix Ozik 60R

Rescue - Sonartec TRC 20* w/ Graphalloy ProLaunch Blue 60R

Hybrid - Adams Pro 3,4 & 5 w/ Adila VS Proto 80R

Irons - Callaway 2007 X-Forged 6-P w/ Aerotech SteelFiber i95R

Wedge - Cleveland Black Tour Action 588 56* w/ Dynamic Gold wedge shaft

Putter - Odyssey Eleven Tour Lined CS 35" Stroke Lab shaft

Well I spent about an hour and a half at the range today. I hit way too many balls and it was 85 in the shade here today with what seemed like 400% humidity so I ran out of steam pretty quick.

Regardless, I tried out a few clubs at the tail end of my bucket. I picked up a CG2, MP32, and MP60 6 iron all 2* flat with S300's (+1/2" with the mizzys, clevland didnt offer different shaft lenghts). The proshop was too busy to custom fit me, so I more or less fit myself for the 2* difference.. they seemed to sit much better than the standard it seemed and certainly way better than the clubs bent 2*up. Anyway, I hit about 15 balls with each club and right away the CG2 pulled ahead. I put them all up against my VAS+ 6 iron and the CG2 flew straighter, farther, and with a better trajectory than any of the other clubs.

The Mizzys were gorgeous clubs and I definetly prefered the 60 over the 32. It felt great standing over the ball but it felt too heavy in the swing and it still seemed like I had to flush it to get the ball to go anywhere despite the "added forgiveness" that they provide. Even when I did catch it flush they seemed to be about 8-10 yards short of the CG2's and shots seemed to just fall out of the sky.

I usually hit my 6 iron 185ish, but with the CG2 I was consistantly hitting the 190 flag on the carry.. and this was after hitting 70 balls in the sun. Unfortunately, the demo club I was hitting had a considerable amount of wear on it. After I asked the Pro in the shop about it, he said the club was only about 2 months old and wasnt hit very often.

Soundwise I also perfered the CG2's to the MP60's. The Mizzy's had a sort of awkward click to them which I didn't really like, while the Clevelands had that effortless "pffff" kinda noise and just seemed to fly forever.

I'm certainly going to go back and try them again with a fresh swing and a good nights sleep. But for now the Clevelands have the upper hand. The shop has bins and bins of demo clubs, so I think I might try some others to see what I like, and they're also sporting a 20% off sale for the month of July on certain sets. Not that I can afford new clubs right now anyway. :drinks: