Cleveland Mashie

G.Review

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I test drove the Cleveland Mashie yesterday. I hit 25 balls at golf galaxy. Personally, I had my eye on a razr hybrid (I currently have a 20.5 cleveland launcher and a 24.5 nickent 4dx), but after hitting this my search for a new hybrid is done.

I test drove the 20.5 stiff myazoki shaft. First of all its nice looking I dont care what anyone says, it gives you alot of confidence. My low was 217 yards and high was 245 yards, with a 228 average although most were more than 230. I originally wanted to try the 18 degree, but they didnt have any, I was looking for a 225 club. I went at this as hard as I could , my swing speeds were 100 to 110. I am 50 years old and am a 5 handicap. Since this club went so far I'm not sure I'm going to even try the 18 degree. The club was straight and long thats all I can say. Super easy to hit and longgggg!!!!

My current set up is

Ft-9 Tour 45.75 inches zcom stiff
TEE 15 degree cb2 3 wood
cleveland mashie 20.5 degree - new purchase yesterday
nickent 4dx - 24.5 degree
taylormade cgmax 7-gap
callaway 52 degree cgrind mackdaddy
callaway 56 degree mackdaddy
callaway 60 degree cgrind mackdaddy
callaway 64 degree mackdaddy
taylormade ghost mallet
white ping voyage carry bag
headcovers - Miami dolphins mascot (TD) for driver
Jan craig 3 wood, 3 & 5 hybrid
golfball - callaway diablo for distance, pro V to spin
grips - mostly winn lite - its all about clubhead speed when your 50

Yes 6 wedges - my home course is only 6500 yards. I may bend the 52 degree to 50 and remove the taylormade gap which is 49 degrees. This will allow me to add my cgmax 6 iron or buy and 17/18 degree hybrid or 5 wood, havent decided.

Not a bad bag for a 50 year old huh? Any comments would be appreciated. But back to the main topic - your search for a hybrid will end if you try the mashie - nothing, nada, zilch will beat it out for distance and accuracy. Just my two cents.

Jimmy

• 4 weeks later...

I hit this while at work yesterday and the connection was so much that I couldn't pass the chance to take it out on the course today to see how it flies. I went with the 23* 59R because I hit my adams 3 hybrid so well but couldn't hit the adams 4 hybrid (both A4 hybrids). It looks sexy (for being so basic) even the head cover goes back to the basics with the puff ball on top. I will update my post after my round today and let everyone know how I did. If I go great with it I might have to get a matching M3 but time will tell.

[size=4][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Callaway x2 Hot 2 Deep Tour Green
Callaway x2 Hot 5 Deep Tour Green
Nike Vapor Flex 21* Kuro Kage
Cleveland 588 TT 6-PW (main set)
Cobra F7 Forged One Length 4-PW (testing out to see how they work for me)
Cleveland 588 RTX 50*,56*, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind 60*[/font][/size]
Odyssey O-Works #7[url="http://www.callawaygolf.com/products/golf-clubs/odyssey-putters/o-works/putters-2017-o-works-7-wbw-ss.html"] [/url]

• 3 weeks later...

I've had this club out for two rounds of golf so far. I have never owned a Cleveland club other than a wedge. I thought the original Launcher Comp was a nice driver, but for some reason, never picked one up.

I love hitting long irons! There really is nothing (OK maybe one thing) better than flushing a 3-iron. When I purchased my MP-62s last season, I put the 3-iron back into play, and sold my Adams Idea Pro 3-hybrid, leaving me with just the 2-hybrid. I like clubs that are traditional looking and not tricked up with fancy colors and plastic inserts. The Mashie is very retro in that respect. Looking down at it, it is a bit thicker than the Adams Idea Pro, and has a smidge more offset. It looks very easy to hit and gives a player a very confident outlook.

The Mashie, flat out, performs. It is "silly easy" to hit. The ball launches to a nice trajectory and land very softly. One round was in very windy conditions and I had no trouble keeping the ball down. A well struck shot feels rock solid, and it is foregiving enough that misses (mine tend to be towards the toe) don't give up much in the way of distance or direction. It's unfinished looking crown, gives it the appearance of a real players club. The stock Miyazaki shaft feels great, too. I even like the head cover (Rocket Tour?) that comes with it.

Bottom line, the Mashie is a great looking club that performs. If you are looking for a new hybrid, be sure to check these out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got my Mashie today - took it to the range. Silly easy to hit. Can't help but get it high and straight. Got the M4 (23 degree) to replace my 4 iron. LOVE IT! Might replace my Adams Super Hybrid 19 with a Mashie also.

After another few range sessions, the light weight shaft is pretty cool. Nice job by Cleveland going with this one. They could have easily gone cheap with something - but they really chose a good shaft for the club. The stock Miyazaki 59 is a great shaft.

EDIT: Took it out on the course today - awesome from the rough...cuts right through crab grass and weeds. However with the really light shaft, you need to be really careful to not be too fast and hook it.

Still a great add to the bag.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

• 1 month later...

I just started golfing 2 years ago, so needless to say I am a high handicapper with a swing speed on my driver of around 84. I know that is not very good, but as my swing is improving my speed is coming up but it will take some time. When I miss hit, it is almost always a slice. I really have had a hard time with my 3 and 4 irons so I have been researching hybrids and after reading the reviews on here as well as other sites I decided to try out the Mashie M3 & M5 regular flex. I just received them yesterday and took them to the range today during lunch. I was hitting the M5 around 160 in the air and 180 after the roll, and the M3 around 180 in the air and 200 or so after the roll. My shots were almost all straight as an arrow with a few of them having a slight draw. That is not as long as others have reported but it is great for me as my best driver length is 235 to 250, with at least half of my drives ending up in the next fairway over. I was so excited after hitting the bucket on the range that I decided I wasn't going back to work. I was able to get right on the course on the back 9 so off I went. I left my driver in the car and used the M3 for all my tee shots that I would normally use my driver. I didn't hit all the fairways that I used the M3, but I did hit a majority of them. When I did miss it was actually on the left and not in the deep rough but in the first cut. I couldn't believe it. The one hole that best describes how much these clubs helped me was on 18. It is a 423 yard par 5 with an elevated tee box and an elevated green with a dogleg left at 210 yards. I teed off with the M3 and hit it straight through the dogleg about 5 yards inside the rough on the right side, which was a total of around 220 yards thanks to the perfectly straight hit and the elevated tee. This left me around 200 yards uphill to the flag from the rough. I decided to use the M5 as I believed it would make it easier to get it up and out of the rough as well as get up the hill better. I swung nice and easy and watched as the ball came right out and flew straight as an arrow, unfortunately I was lined up right of the flag. The ball ended up about 30 yards shy of the green on the right side of the fairway. I then used my 7 iron to hit and run the ball onto the green, I love this shot, I don't know why but it really works great for me anywhere inside of 40 yards or so. I was actually on the green in 3 with a chance to putt for birdie on one of the harder holes of the back 9. I ended up with a bogey due to missing my second putt of less than 2 feet, I'm such a meat head sometimes. I had one of my worst days putting with several 3 and 4 putts and still ended up matching my best 9 holes ever with a 48. I almost feel like these hybrids were made for me and my swing. If you are a high handicapper like me you have got to give these a try. The offset really works for us slicers and the weight is perfect. They are literally the easiest clubs I have ever hit, although granted I haven't hit all of the new hybrids, although I did hit the Razr, Cobra, and Taylormade Superfast hybrids at Golfsmith prior to ordering these. I now want to get either the M2 or M1 to use off the tee, but I have a question for any of you more veteran players out there as to which one to get. The M1 is 15.5* with a 41.25 inch shaft and the M2 is 18* with a 40.75 inch shaft. Do you think that 15.5* will be too tough to keep straight especially with the longer shaft? The one inch difference between the M3 and M5 shaft lengths didn't seem to affect me at all so maybe I am giving the length too much consideration especially since the swing weight stays the same at D4. My concern with the M2 is that I won't gain much as far as distance goes. I am hoping that the M1 gives me 200 to 210 in the air with the net result in the 230 to 240 range after rolling out. Is that reasonable or just a wet dream? Any way sorry for the long review, but I am very excited about these hybrids. I think they are at the very least worth trying out whether you are a low or high handicapper.

With your SS, 240 total from a M1 doesn't seem realistic to me. If you are really looking for distance from your hybrids, the Mashie isn't the best option. Try the Adams Super Hybrid - they have a 15 degree also. It's a longer club...

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had them now for two weeks. If you like a high ball flight with good distance, this might be the Hybrid for you.
If you like a Hybrids to slice through the thick rough and launch the ball high, this might be the Hybrid for you.
If you like a tee shots to fly high and land softly this might be the Hybrid for you.
If you like all those things this is the Hybrid for you.

Great clubs, I have the M3 and M4 by far the best Hybrid I have ever come across. Hugh Fan, go hit'em and see for yourself.

First I would like to thank Sakman and Golfwrx for giving me the opportunity to test drive the Mashie. Im currently a 12cap and use a Titleist 585h, I never really played around to much with hybrids before and rarely use mine, as you can see im a big Titleist junkie so naturally the 585 fit right in. Now on to the Mashie, This club proved itself in difficult lies, off the tee and in the fairway. The sole can dig the ball out of anywhere. The Mashie feels solid and powerful at contact. Working the ball left or right is easier than most clubs and punching into the wind is a no brainer. The Mashie has a retro look with some may like and others may not, Im not really one of them, the gray just does not fit my eye and others have notice there is considerable offset to the Mashie as compared to my 585h. Adding to the Retro feel is the sock headcover which I actually like. Overall length is slightly longer like all new clubs, this club would be a good fit for mid to high cappers with its light shaft and bigger head. Cleveland and Srixon are coming on strong, I also have a SL290 with Miyazaki 43 sitting around that is a big bomber. Killer deal now with 2 for $200!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The super silly easy to hit statement, is a gross understatement. The Mashie has saved my sanity this year. I couldn't get out of the tee box unless I used an iron. All my driver shots and fairway woods would just slice ridiculously.

The Mashie was just long and straight for me, longest with my M2 was approximately 258 yards at end of roll, relatively straight. I wasnt carrying or playing any woods just the Mashie's, every now and then I would bring out my driver/woods to work on correcting my slice.

I am a high handicapper, still trying to figure out how to play at a higher level. The Mashie kept me in the game, and frustration level at a reasonable level instead of high.

My only problems were that I couldnt get a M1 in a left handed club, and still needed to carry my 4 iron (X22) in my bag even though I had the M4. M4 was hitting 205-215 for me, and 5 iron was hitting 185ish, there seemed like too much of a gap and was over/under shooting holes because I didnt have the 4 iron in the bag.

But Mashie made me a believer to stay out on the course, and I feel indebted to Cleveland for it.

• 1 month later...

Just picked up a M2 0- "Cleveland Miyazaki 59 r tour issue 18" - [b]Is the "tour issue' anything different, or are they all called that?
[/b]
I am very excited to play this on the course: The reviews seem great and the few hits I made with it at Golf Galaxy had me impressed!

I will be the first to admit- I have not been the advocate of this club before now; the name seems dumb and the commmercials make me laugh; so I will update later this week after playing it!

• 1 month later...

Just got the 4H in and wow what a club. I'm a high capper relatively new to the game and I really struggle with my long irons. Took this club to the range today and boy is it long and straight, literally couldn't miss with it. Already got a 3H on the way and tempted to get a 5H as well. It should easily save me some strokes on the course and my sanity!

[quote name='golfballz' timestamp='1324332195' post='3962017']
Just picked up a M2 0- "Cleveland Miyazaki 59 r tour issue 18" - [b]Is the "tour issue' anything different, or are they all called that?
[/b]
I am very excited to play this on the course: The reviews seem great and the few hits I made with it at Golf Galaxy had me impressed!

I will be the first to admit- I have not been the advocate of this club before now; the name seems dumb and the commmercials make me laugh; so I will update later this week after playing it!
[/quote]

The tour head is smaller - and the shaft is heavier. I also think the lofts are different.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

• 6 months later...

^^^^yes, went with the traditional mashie, 18*, have a 20.5 on the way from a fellow wrx'er - the tour was a little on the small-side for me (reminded me a bit of the of adams pro black)........needed a 3 wood also so i grabbed the 14* mashie FW. the next couple weeks will be interesting in testing these.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

Important to note that there is a big difference between Mashie Hybrid which comes in specific lofts (18, 20.5, etc.) and Mashie irons (3i, 4i, 5i). I have both - loved the hybrid so much that I decided to pick up the irons. Unfortunately, the irons are a different club. They share the same 'gliderail' undercarriage, but the irons appear to be toe weighted for slice correction, resulting in a hooking phenomenon if one no longer plays a slice. Mashie hybrid stays in the bag, irons on their way to eBay!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

[quote name='Scungi' timestamp='1320292082' post='3753243']
The super silly easy to hit statement, is a gross understatement. The Mashie has saved my sanity this year. I couldn't get out of the tee box unless I used an iron. All my driver shots and fairway woods would just slice ridiculously.

The Mashie was just long and straight for me, longest with my M2 was approximately 258 yards at end of roll, relatively straight. I wasnt carrying or playing any woods just the Mashie's, every now and then I would bring out my driver/woods to work on correcting my slice.

I am a high handicapper, still trying to figure out how to play at a higher level. The Mashie kept me in the game, and frustration level at a reasonable level instead of high.

My only problems were that I couldnt get a M1 in a left handed club, and still needed to carry my 4 iron (X22) in my bag even though I had the M4. M4 was hitting 205-215 for me, and 5 iron was hitting 185ish, there seemed like too much of a gap and was over/under shooting holes because I didnt have the 4 iron in the bag.

But Mashie made me a believer to stay out on the course, and I feel indebted to Cleveland for it.
[/quote]

Hi
Simple answer re playing better is work on your swing; consistent accurate strike and that only comes from a repeating swing
Invest your money in lessons with an experienced teaching pro who works with low handicaps / other pros
Regards
Andy

• 1 month later...