Nventix Nunchuk

ohcanada17

Is the weight correct?
so after someone posted about this new shaft... found that Vegas was swinging it... found some on ebay.. but... the weight is 104 grams... there is no way these are drivers shafts? They are .335 tips...

What's the word?

The Inventix website is brutal... looks 3rd rate at best...

Any know the real scoop on this shaft?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one. Used it in two heads: L5V first. Hated it. Then moved it to my L4V. Way better but still not a big fan. Its just plain weird. @ 44.5" its cpm was 303 and about 103g.

You can feel it kick, but it may take some getting used to as it kicks in the middle of the shaft. That's the flex point- right in the middle, like a nunckuk. Very firm butt and very firm tip ( no need to tip at all BTW). One flex for everyone.

I'd call it a mid launch lower spinner. Pretty straight. If you can get used to the feel I'm sure some will love it (like every shaft). I let my range rat friends pass it around and of about 7-12 guys hitting it, not one liked it that much.

Again, some will love it, but I sure didn't.

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

[quote name='ausprideworldwide' timestamp='1297586564' post='2972557']
is vegas the only one on tour using it? i watched the youtube clip and it looks alright but, who knows what shafts they were testing with.
[/quote]

From their press releases, it looks like its been in play by at least 3 or 4 guys on the PGA Tour and it may be starting to show up on the Nationwide and Champions Tours as well. The weekend Vegas won the Hope, someone else in the Top 15 played a Nunchuk. There was also a top 5 finish at Phoenix when Vegas missed the cut.

I just picked up three of these shafts and am very interested in trying them out... Supposed to play true loft for launch (not high or low or medium or anything) and very low spin. It's a damn shame I won't be swinging a club for another month though LOL They're just sitting in a bag along with a bunch of other clubs, shafts, and heads just waiting on the weather to break.

• 5 months later...

Who knows how they do it but it works. Gerry Hogan, the guy that designed it is a genius. In terms of feel, I can feel it kick pretty hard, so much that i tipped it, which in hindsight was pointless. I took some high speed video and you can see it bending about 1/3 (ish) of the way up the shaft and not at all in the tip (looks weird, like it has a kink in it), so all tipping does is move the kick point lower. The piece of tip is so thick walled you could only skewer it with a toothpick or a shaved lollypop stick. Pretty much everyone i have played with in the last 3 weeks has hit it for about 50:50 like:hate. There is no association with like or hate and swing speed. Distance is unchanged for everyone that has hit it, but it modulates the results of average swings and boosts your average smash factor with more on center hits. I am playing badly right now but my FIRs are up by 1.5. This is a big deal. On the basis of some of the moves ive been putting on the ball id be trending the other way with the old shaft (like my index). One interesting thing is that the shaft is almost perfectly round. It has only the tiniest of discernible spines. I havent seen this before in 100+ shafts. Aparently this is a feature. Those with more experience say it performs even better in hybrids and fairways.

... The Nunchuk is a revolutionary shaft design and you simply cannot apply conventional measurements to its performance. I'll try and keep it simple:

1. Most of the PGA pro's that hit it at the show guessed the weight to be in the upper 70's. The counter balancing makes it feel much, much lighter than the stated weight.

2. [b][i]There is no kick with the Nunchuk![/i][/b] This is the very basis of the design. In order to reap the benefits of a shafts kick through impact, the golfer must time his release properly. Many factors come into play. Having the right flex for your specific swing. Having the right kick point. Delaying the release so it does not occur before impact. This is one of the reasons we go through so many shafts and opinions vary on any given shaft. Exactly why a Whiteboard feels great to one player and the next guy prefers a Code 6. The Nunchuk is designed to be in a straight line through impact so you get a true trajectory on every swing. Over simplified, the very slight hinge in the middle of the shaft occurs in the first 1/3 of the downswing and the shaft is in a straight line well before impact. This allows aggressive players to go after the shot as hard as they can under control with no fear of losing the ball right or left due to a poorly timed kick. Most poor swingers cast wel before impact and they actually suffer a rebound with a flexible shaft losing distance and control, so the nunchuk can provide better results for them as well.

... Again, this is radically different than conventional shafts. Most that hit it at the pga show with a fairly repeatable swing found it to be the most consistant shaft they had ever hit. I could not believe how the trajectory was so consistant and at the same height on every swing I made. Of course I took some less than optimal swings and the ball will go right or left, but side spin is reduced dramatically, but a pull or a push has the same results as any shaft.

... It is not for everyone, as shafts continue to get lighter and those comfortable swinging a 60 gm or less shaft, will find the Nunchuk to feel heavy. Since there is no kick at all, that feeling can also put some players off. My playing pard has a short, hard hit, and the Nunchuk has produced the straightest and longest drives I have ever seen him hit. I have a much smoother swing and while the Nunchuk has been awesome for me on the range, I have struggled with it on the course. Probably because I use 100gm shafts in my irons and am used to swinging a lighter weight, so an 78gm driver shaft would feel heavy. I think it is fair to say the harder you swing, the more you will like the Nunchuk. Those with repeatable smooth swings that generate good clubhead speed can also rep the rewards of this shaft.

... So forget the measured numbers and just demo one. This shaft, more than any other, is hard to describe in words. You really need to hit one to understand how it feels and performs. Like I said, it is not for everyone, but for those that it fits, they seem to absolutely love it.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

It's super stiff. I like the design of the shaft, it makes sense, just too stiff for me in the driver (might have worked in a FW, but I'm a HO and sold it) and I swing around 120-125 (I play a Kiyoshi Tipped 1.5" if that helps). In my experience it weighed the same or less than most 80 gram shafts when cut to length ( Measured on a digital gram scale). Meaning that most of the weight is in the butt end, therefore, once it's cut to length, it's not weighing 100 grams. People don't realize that when building clubs, shafts lose weight when you cut 2-3" off them.

Hit one today on a launch monitor and absolutely loved it. I was hitting it in a head that was much too high lofted for me (10.5*, I have a +AOA) but it took off several hundred RPMS and I did not hit one ball left of my start line. I also LOVED the feel. I don't know why anyone would really dislike it, but the feel was much better to me than say a Whiteboard 73 (X). I hadn't totally warmed up, but my swing speed was slightly lower with the Nunchuk than the Kusala 72 (X) I'm currently hitting (like 2-3mph on average). If you told me I had to give up 6-7 yards of carry but I would never overcook one left, and my miss window on the right would be narrowed in half, I will make that trade ALL day. For the record, I swing my driver 107-108 on most moves.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

[quote name='PreppySlapCut' timestamp='1311303221' post='3413091']
Hit one today on a launch monitor and absolutely loved it. I was hitting it in a head that was much too high lofted for me (10.5*, I have a +AOA) but it took off several hundred RPMS and I did not hit one ball left of my start line. I also LOVED the feel. I don't know why anyone would really dislike it, but the feel was much better to me than say a Whiteboard 73 (X). I hadn't totally warmed up, but my swing speed was slightly lower with the Nunchuk than the Kusala 72 (X) I'm currently hitting (like 2-3mph on average). If you told me I had to give up 6-7 yards of carry but I would never overcook one left, and my miss window on the right would be narrowed in half, I will make that trade ALL day. For the record, I swing my driver 107-108 on most moves.
[/quote]

Agreed with the fact that it doesn't go left, I had to really try hard to release it to draw it. If that's what you are looking for, it's a good shaft.

[quote name='chisag' timestamp='1311263308' post='3411137']
2. [b][i]There is no kick with the Nunchuk![/i][/b] This is the very basis of the design. In order to reap the benefits of a shafts kick through impact, the golfer must time his release properly. Many factors come into play. Having the right flex for your specific swing. Having the right kick point. Delaying the release so it does not occur before impact. This is one of the reasons we go through so many shafts and opinions vary on any given shaft. Exactly why a Whiteboard feels great to one player and the next guy prefers a Code 6. The Nunchuk is designed to be in a straight line through impact so you get a true trajectory on every swing. Over simplified, the very slight hinge in the middle of the shaft occurs in the first 1/3 of the downswing and the shaft is in a straight line well before impact. This allows aggressive players to go after the shot as hard as they can under control with no fear of losing the ball right or left due to a poorly timed kick. Most poor swingers cast wel before impact and they actually suffer a rebound with a flexible shaft losing distance and control, so the nunchuk can provide better results for them as well.

[/quote]

I agree with your post but not with this paragraph. I bought one without really understanding how it works and it kicked so hard that i tipped it 3/4".Luckily this didn't change the character of the shaft as there is virtually no bend in the tip section and tipping just lowers the kick point slightly. This grab from video taken at 1/5000th shutter speed shows the shaft kicking about 2/5ths of the way up from the tip. Rather than a progressive curve it looks more like a kink. The shutter speed is fast enough to eliminate digital camera artifact and what is in the image is what is actually happening.
[attachment=826006:tip deformation stiff.jpg]

[size="2"]Just got mine today rushed to the range around the corner from the fitter in the 40* heat to have a bash.

Now this range is not my regular (never actually been there before) so I'm going by yardages from my Laser. 233 to the back pin.
The wind was howling from the North West. I was hitting the 128Y pin with a 7i, so i'm estimating at least a 15-20 yard hurt.
45" @ D2
My SS 95-100 (150lbs bean pole - which will make sense later...)
Av 225 Carry 240ish total
That said these are my initial impressions:

* Holy crap its stout when you first pick it up. In your hand it barely flexes. The butt end seems thicker, and the tip is noticeably stiffer compared to the Kai-li that came out of the 910D2.

* The colour is nice.

* It's heavy. Like 362g heavy. At least 40g heavy than when I dropped it off.

* The confounding thing is - that weight doesn't translate to the feeling when you swing. I mean, I *know* that it's heavier, but i think the rigidity of the thing makes you think it's heavier than it is.

* It does seem to promote a 'swing' rather than a 'hit'. The back weighting in the butt can be felt at first - seemed to make me conscious of where my hands were in the swing, more than normal

* First couple of swings were off the heel and way left. I was using my normal ball position in just inside left foot. Played it farther back and instead got it high off the face and right. I assume this is from the absence of a 'Kick' that I'm used to timing - thus it's square at impact and pulled.

* Dawned on me that on my driver I have a slightly stronger grip than my irons, to combat my Push miss. Realised that the nunny is meant to deliver the club face back to address position more consistently than normal shafts, so went back to my normal neutral iron grip and squared the face to the back flag. Set the ball position (using my alignment sticks) to on my left foot

* Wow. Hit the circle around the flag at the 230 mark. INTO the wind. Didn't balloon, just held the line. Pounded a few more, pulled a couple but they too held the line and were even a little low, ran up the bank on the back shelf.

*Tried a really high tee (3 1/4") and did manage to slice the crap out of it, again from a high on the face heel shot. Moved the tee down passed the blue stripe painted on the tee and voila. Holding into the left to right on coming wind, about 230.

* Pulled the 3W out with the Kai-li shaft to see how far out there I was really getting. I'm usually 210-215 with the 3W. Sure enough, I was just beyond the 195 flag, and in front of the 230 flag. Guesstimate was about 200ish into the wind. So that fit my theory of a 15-20 headwind

* Rotated irons and driver for 40 minutes to see if it was just flukey. But no, great shots with the 910 were flat out awesome into the wind. at least to the 230 flag some that were higher in trajectory were even going over it. Bad swings were either pulled maybe 10 yards short of the 230, or faded 30 yards right with the wind.

* By the end I was flagging with the heat, but I had got the hang of the setup position that worked, tee height and alignment and i'd say most if not all were on my target line and very very satisfactory

So initial impressions are - I can see how this could be a more consistent shaft. I'm very consistent in my face contact already, but there was definitely an automatic-ness about the ball flight and the direction once I had the setup that worked for me. There was no push at all which is fantastic for me. The weight was noticeable only in so far as I could tell it was there, but it'd obviously not affected distance. There is no doubt in my mind that in these conditions today the Kai-li 910D2 would have gotten eaten up by the wind and no chance would I be at the 230 flag. 210-220 max on a good swing, much less on a horrible one.

One swallow doesn't make a summer, so when I get a chance to head to my home range, and on course playing will be the real tale. But so far it appears to me that it does what it states on the box - control, spin reduction without loss of distance. Colour me impressed.[/size]

[quote name='scifisicko' timestamp='1311317096' post='3413482']
[quote name='chisag' timestamp='1311263308' post='3411137']
2. [b][i]There is no kick with the Nunchuk![/i][/b]
[/quote]

I agree with your post but not with this paragraph. I bought one without really understanding how it works and it kicked so hard that i tipped it 3/4".Luckily this didn't change the character of the shaft as there is virtually no bend in the tip section and tipping just lowers the kick point slightly. This grab from video taken at 1/5000th shutter speed shows the shaft kicking about 2/5ths of the way up from the tip. Rather than a progressive curve it looks more like a kink. The shutter speed is fast enough to eliminate digital camera artifact and what is in the image is what is actually happening.
[attachment=826006:tip deformation stiff.jpg]
[/quote]

... That certainly looks like the rebound from contact. But after meeting the CEO at the PGA Show and exchanging phone calls and emails with him and the design engineer, I can assure you there is no kick and no kick point. I am not disputing what you "feel" but[i] the design of the shaft is to purposefully eliminate any kick.[/i] Therefore there is no timing issue and that is why it only comes in one shaft designation, not a series of flex's... because it doesn't flex. nVentix tells you not to tip the Nunchuk for this very reason. I was fascinated at the PGA Show by the no kick Nunchuk and here is an excerpt to my review:

[size="2"][color="#000000"][size="2"]… It doesn't seem that long ago that graphite shafts replaced their steel counterparts in drivers and fairway woods. The initial offerings were inconsistent, both in manufacturing and performance. I remember a few turning points in graphite shafts. Graphite Design introduced a series of YS shafts that would be sold as aftermarket shafts and made it possible for better players to install a Tour caliber graphite shaft in their woods. Larger heads put more stress on graphite shafts and Aldila introduced the NV series, that had a stiffer tip, but for the first time in a tip stiff design, maintained a very smooth feel. Matrix introduced a series of high performance shafts for those that didn't mind paying for preeminent technology. And in the last several years, quite a few shafts have been introduced that push the envelope for performance. Shafts that produce a lower or higher trajectory, that can also reduce or increase spin. In 2010 alone I played some amazing shafts including the AD-DI6, Xcon6, Voodoo and Eclipse. Shafts are a passion of mine and I am always excited to hit the new shaft offerings at the PGA Show.[/size][/color]

[color="#000000"][size="2"]… Several shafts stood out on their first swing, including Project X Tour Issue, Miyazaki Blue and the AD-DJ. I could install any of these shafts in my driver and/or fairway woods and never look back. Considering every one of them sells for more than the fairway wood they would be installed in, cost can be an important factor. I also think a shafts feel and perceived performance is so subjective, I simply cannot say any one shaft is the Best of PGA Show … Shafts. I will however review 2 new shafts that I thought gave me everything I want… and then some.[/size][/color]

[color="#000000"][size="2"]… The other shaft that should demand your attention in 2011 is the Nunchuk from nVentix. Before I explain just how and why this shaft is so extraordinary, I feel I need to warn you about the marketing of the Nunchuk. There are many ways to introduce a product and admit I am not an expert in that field. If I had not hit the Nunchuk shaft at the PGA Show, I might ignore their website's infomercial-like product presentation. However, the Adams Tight Lies and Orlimar TriMetals became very successful through similar campaigns, so maybe it is a non issue. I only mention this because I heard some folks compare it to the Hammer POW! That would be a huge mistake, because the Nunchuk is not a gimmick and it has not only won on the PGA Tour, it impressed working PGA Pro's that bought the Nunchuk for their personal use with their own money right on the spot. There is no better endorsement for a new product at the PGA Show than that![/size][/color]

[color="#000000"][size="2"]… The Nunchuk shaft is so radical compared to conventional design, that you simply cannot compare it to other shafts on the market. Specifications like weight, torque and flex for the Nunchuk are very misleading when compared to a conventional shaft. Most, if not all shafts depend on a well timed kick through impact for maximum performance. You swing it back and, if you do not cast from the top, you release the shafts energy on the downswing with centrifugal force that bends the shaft forward through the hitting area. My son is a 6'3" 255 Defensive End at the collegiate level with a very good golf swing. He can hit his 4 iron about 250 off the tee. I built his irons with dynamic gold X100 shafts and I tipped them 1". When hitting my 4 iron with KB Tour stiff flex shafts, he can hook it off the golf course. He is so strong and my shaft bends forward with too much kick in his hands. Putting him in the right shaft maximized his strong swing with a shorter and more controllable kick. Conversely, my wife is playing a soft tipped DVS in an A-flex. She has a very smooth, but much less powerful swing. She needs the extra distance that a well timed kick with a flexible shaft provides through the hitting area. Of course, this extra distance and accuracy is only realized if every swing is the same. This is exactly why better golfers buy expensive aftermarket shafts that give them the best performance for their highly repeatable swing. The majority of these shafts concentrate on a stable tip section, utilizing different materials in proprietary designs to achieve the utmost in consistency. The better player and Professional's shaft kick is almost identical on every swing, resulting in the optimum distance and direction control a premium shaft provides. The Nunchuk takes the design parameter of kick, completely out of the equation.[/size][/color]

[color="#000000"][size="2"]… To my knowledge, the Nunchuk is the first shaft to eliminate the kick from the golf swing. The design goal is to provide a shaft that is in a straight line through impact on very swing. To achieve this goal, conventional measurements can be thrown out the window. The Nunchuk is comprised of two very stiff sections in the butt and tip, joined by a more flexible mid section. Virtually all conventional shafts twist from tip end to high in the butt section, but the Nunchuk allows for any bending to be limited to the mid section of the shaft. The proprietary allocation of fibers in the mid section of the Nunchuk is designed to take up the preponderance of bending. Because the tip section, the weakest point of most shafts will invariably give first, the Nunchuk has a very thick tip section. In fact it is almost solid, in order to maintain a straight line through impact. This extremely stiff tip and stiff butt section is where the Nunchuk name comes from. Used in martial arts, nunchuks consist of two stiff pieces joined by a more flexible chain. This design increases the speed of the end of one of pieces when swung. The same principal is applied to the speed of the clubhead with the Nunchuk shaft. So instead of the bending occurring at the tip of the shaft through impact, the Nunchuk's mid section bends or kicks early in the swing and recovers well before impact, delivering more clubhead speed in a straight line. Not only does this develop speed, but having your shaft in a straight line though impact means the effective loft of your clubhead controls your trajectory, so every shot has the same ball flight. While I cannot confirm distance gains because I was hitting a Nunchuk shafted driver into a very stiff wind on a driving range, I can say the consistency was amazing. It was as if there were a tunnel in the sky and every shot went through that tunnel.[/size][/color]

[color="#000000"][size="2"]… The Nunchuk not only bends and recovers before impact, but any twisting of the shaft also occurs early in the swing. The extremely stiff tip and butt sections have virtually no twist at all, and any twisting is limited to the mid section of the shaft. That makes this design highly resistant to all twisting, and the recovery from twisting occurs very fast and prior to impact with the ball. Again, the benefit to the golfer is the head being in the same position through impact. Droop refers to the head bending the shaft down through impact. The stiffness of the Nunchuk also virtually removes droop from the equation. The Nunchuk eliminates three factors that play a huge role in consistency. With no droop, twisting or kick through impact, the face angle and loft is always the same. Obviously this is an engineering feat that took years to develop, from a mind that had to think outside the box. The Nunchuk is the result of over 40 years of research by Australian Gerry Hogan. Gerry authored one of the mostly widely read golf instructional books in Austraila, and has spent a lifetime researching human mechanics. Gerry's breadth of knowledge goes far beyond golf, and is highly regarded for the application of his research in sports. Because the ends of the Nunchuk need to be very stiff and stable, they are quite heavy. But the counter balancing makes it feel like a 70gm shaft and I found it very easy to swing. The "flex" is off the charts stiff, but since the shaft does not bend through impact, flex is irrelevant. This is where the true genius of the Nunchuk is realized. There is no flex, so it is a one flex fits all design! Jhonattan Vegas's 120mph swing, my 100mph swing and typical amateurs 85mph swing perform the same with the Nunchuk shaft design. If you are shaking your head in disbelief, I can assure you I felt exactly the same way before I watched quite a few golfers hit the Nunchuk on Demo Day. "Jaw dropping" is not just an adjective, but an actual description of what I saw so many players do after hitting the Nunchuk for the first time. I saw women with good swings enjoy the Nunchuk's performance just as much as strong hitters and smooth swingers. And the feel is just so solid. The best comparison I can give you is the Nunchuk feels like a wooden bat compared to an aluminum bat. I think of all the products I demo'ed at the PGA Show, the Nunchuk is the product most difficult to describe in words. You really have to hit it to believe it, and I highly recommend you do just that.[/size][/color]

[color="#000000"][font="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"]Sam Derence
IGR[/size][/color]

[/size][/font]

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x