2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Leupold GX-3 or Bushnell Pro 1600 TE

[quote name='mdgboxx' timestamp='1299444140' post='3030897']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1299435010' post='3030531']
This will be my first Rangefinder. I'm going back and forth between the GX-3 and the Pro 1600. [b]I've done a lot of reading[/b] and can't decide which one. I'd like to hear from actual users. Is either one easier to zero in? Is the red OLED easier to read on the GX-3? Does one have better optics? Etc.

If you had to get one, which one would you get? I appreciate your input.
[/quote]

How much did you read exactly? Did you even go on their site? Both of them? Here is part of the research I did, mainly b/c of the cost of the GX-3 ($600) at the time.

The GX-3 is make of a SOLID block of aluminium....Not plastic!
With the GX-3: Point (at anything), click, read.....Less than 5 sec.
The OLED is far superior than anything on the market, you don't lose the reading in the background.
The GX-3 has top of the line optics. It is also 6X.
The GX-3 is weatherproof, FAR more shock resitant than anything I've tried (compared to) yet.
The CR-2 battery is guaranteed for at least 1,000 operations. The unit shuts itself off after a few seconds. (The time you need to read and put it back where you got it)
Yes it reads though fog and even rain for that matter.
The GX-3 is tournament legal, the GX-4 is not.

I play at least 200 games a year. I pre-ordered it a month before it was available and, of course, when I got it, it became my NEW TOY. I would point at anything and everything, it was REALLY put to use. At the end of the season, I just took the battery out and put it away...Just checked the battery for the purpose of this reply: 3.12V...I'm good to go for most of next season!
It is pricier but, in my case, it's my first and LAST rangefinder (I'm 66). I'm not worried about becoming a r/finder "hoe", wondering if I got the right one on my first try....As an old ad was saying about oil filters: You can pay me now or pay more later :cheesy: !

Notice that I did not compare to others, just gave you the facts about the GX-3.
[/quote]

I'M SOLD!!!!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Relaxxx' timestamp='1299447689' post='3031028']
[quote name='mdgboxx' timestamp='1299446446' post='3030986']
[quote name='Relaxxx' timestamp='1299444362' post='3030905']
I'll take my 1600 over a Leupold anyday.
My 1600 does read through fog and rain, actually.
I've found it is [b]MUCH more accurate[/b] than Leupold.
I can shoot the same target five times with a Bushnell and four of them will be the same. With a Leupold two of them would be the same.
[/quote]

When you shoot you are not perfectly immobile therefore different readings. That's accuracy for you :cheesy:

I never have to shoot twice, I'm not a pro AND I trust my LEUPOLD. :cheesy::cheesy:
[/quote]

The point is, [b]my 1600 gives me the same reading more times out of 5 than the Leupold[/b].
I'm not saying Leupold is bad or anything.
I just think Bushnell is better.
More Tour Pros use Bushnell than anything.
I think that says enough.
[/quote]

Apparently you have no idea what accuracy is dude. You are talking about precision, not accuracy in your reply. 5 of the same number means nothing if it is the WRONG number. How do you know it is more "accurate" than a Leupold? Did you measure the real distance with a tape measure. Please don't make unfounded claims.

GX-3 rocks btw...:rolleyes:

I just bought a GX3 just to spite Bushnell! I had a V2 Tour that was only 5 months old that got wet in a rain storm and fogged up. I sent it back under warranty and they blamed me and refused to repair it. BUSHNELL STINK.

Having said that it was a blessing in disguise the GX3 is awesome. Its tiny and the LED display is a major plus and so it the prism lock beep. All in all the build quality over the V2 is far far superior. I can't comment about the 1600 TE though as I haven't tried one, but for sure the warranty will suck, not that I've experienced Leupold's warranty so I can't compare.

Putting things back on a non biased slant for a second I don't think that anyone, whether that be us mere mortals, or pro golfers alike, would ever compare the GX3 and the smaller Bushnell's, there is no comparison. However, I do understand that the 1600 is a two handed version that may have merits beyond my own use.

From what I have now experienced first hand the GX3 is a solid 21st century piece of technology and the V2 is a cheaply made plastic christmas cracker toy that you can't use in the 'damp'. Sorry to get off the GX3 vs 1600TE debate but Bushnell pissed me off, but I couldn't be happier.

hey really like the feedback! From what i've seen the only people really touting the Bushnell are those that already have the Bushnell and don't want to admit the Leupold is superior. I've used both and researched both, own neither, and have found the Leupold to be better mainly because of the optics (clear and bright red) and can be used in fog. Leupold > Bushnell

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

My Bushnell V2 just crapped out on me again for the 2nd time, so i just purchased the GX-4 on Ebay. I got one brand new in box for $384 w/ free shipping.

Also, the GX4 has a "smart key" that you can remove so it is tournament conforming. Otherwise, if you keep the "smart key" on during your round, the GX-4 will give you the accurate distance factoring in distance and temperature conditions.

A friend of mine has the GX-2 and loves it. I've also used his a couple times when my battery on my V2 was dead, so i can attest to it being a superior product to almost any Bushnell product they offer.

[quote name='Barto78' timestamp='1303137275' post='3164141']
Also, the GX4 has a "smart key" that you can remove so it is tournament conforming. Otherwise, if you keep the "smart key" on during your round, the GX-4 will give you the accurate distance factoring in distance and temperature conditions.
[/quote]

This feature is not tournament conforming. It is also not legal for handicap rounds even if it's disabled. It's why I bought a GX-3 and plus I don't really need slope in FL.

[quote name='NWS Alpine' timestamp='1303139197' post='3164228']
[/quote]

This feature is not tournament conforming. It is also not legal for handicap rounds even if it's disabled. It's why I bought a GX-3 and plus I don't really need slope in FL.
[/quote]

True, but you can take off the feature during your round by simply taking off the key. I can always go to the course when i'm playing a casual round and shoot the pins to get the actual club distances for when i need them in the future.

[quote name='Barto78' timestamp='1303141013' post='3164307']
[quote name='NWS Alpine' timestamp='1303139197' post='3164228']
[/quote]

[/quote]

True, but you can take off the feature during your round by simply taking off the key. I can always go to the course when i'm playing a casual round and shoot the pins to get the actual club distances for when i need them in the future.
[/quote]

You're right you can disable the slope feature, but the USGA has not made this legal even if you disable the slope feature. It doesn't matter if you have the GX-4 and disable the slope, technically you can't use this in tournament play or for an official handicap.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

Something you may want to do is use this website and look at the pics from each tour event.. They post practice round pictures of many players bags Monday thru Wednesday!! Nearly every single bag that you'll see a rangefinder on, has the Bushnell pouch and the player and caddie use a Pro 1600.. There are pics I've found of Boo Weekleys bag (Leupold endorser) using a Bushnell, and also Jim Furyk's bag (Sky Caddie endorser) using a Bushnell! These guys trust Bushnell, and if it's the best on tour, that should give anyone the piece of mind as what to buy!

I too am in the market for a laser range finder. I am making the switch over from the Sky Caddie SG5, which works great and is the most accurate GPS system that I have seen. I just want to get exact yardages to pins and other points on any given hole that may not have been marked by the person walking the course. Looking to use it on the range as well.

It has been interesting reading this thread and it has swayed me a bit to the Leupold GX-3 away from the 1600TE. As far as those on tour using Bushnell's I wonder how much this has to do with them getting them handed to them.

[quote name='nd2golf' timestamp='1303741798' post='3183775']
I too am in the market for a laser range finder. I am making the switch over from the Sky Caddie SG5, which works great and is the most accurate GPS system that I have seen. I just want to get exact yardages to pins and other points on any given hole that may not have been marked by the person walking the course. Looking to use it on the range as well.

It has been interesting reading this thread and it has swayed me a bit to the Leupold GX-3 away from the 1600TE. [b][u] As far as those on tour using Bushnell's I wonder how much this has to do with them getting them handed to[/u][/b] [b][u]them.
[/u][/b][/quote]

That part has already been discussed at lenth in this thread.

The only thing I insist on is: The GX3 will give an accurate reading through a glass window, even one with a bug screen (I've done it to show off last week), no bushnell does that! So, if a laser is a laser, is a laser....Think again!

And, with OLED technology in the GX3, you NEVER lose the readings in the dark background.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

[quote name='2 down auto's' timestamp='1303696866' post='3182781']
Something you may want to do is use this website and look at the pics from each tour event.. They post practice round pictures of many players bags Monday thru Wednesday!! Nearly every single bag that you'll see a rangefinder on, has the Bushnell pouch and the player and caddie use a Pro 1600.. There are pics I've found of Boo Weekleys bag (Leupold endorser) using a Bushnell, and also Jim Furyk's bag (Sky Caddie endorser) using a Bushnell! These guys trust Bushnell, and if it's the best on tour, that should give anyone the piece of mind as what to buy!
[/quote]

This whole statement is pretty much unfounded. First off, Leupold is fairly new to the golf world while Bushnell has been around forever. That's why is it a staple on tour (for now) as well as the pros being given the units or paid to use them. Leupold's optics are better HANDS DOWN. Anyone with military or hunting experience knows their reputation. They have just recently entered the golfing market.

And it is true about the GX-3 having a better laser than the Bushnell or GX-2 for that matter. I was deciding between the GX-2 and GX-3 at Golfsmith and could not acquire anything through the front window with the GX-2. Even so, I bought it thinking I would love the slope. Out on the course I found I didn't even use the slope (even with hills) and the skinny black readout wasn't too friendly. So I exchanged it for the GX-3 and have not been happier. The GX-3 seems to acquire much faster and easier and the OLED is a TON easier to see. Plus I can use it legally in the city tournament.

Any good laser will perform thru glass, my Bushnell V2 works just fine thru glass.The Tour caddies/players can get/use whatever they want but mostly choose the Bushnell 1600 for the optics and performance, period.[quote name='toddnt' timestamp='1303751061' post='3184192']
The OLED was a major selling point!
[/quote]

Different strokes I guess, but I do know for a fact Leupold has tighter quality controls and uses better optics.. But I learned as a kid, never tell a grown adult how to spend his money!![quote name='swgolfer' timestamp='1303756165' post='3184460']
Any good laser will perform thru glass, my Bushnell V2 works just fine thru glass.The Tour caddies/players can get/use whatever they want but mostly choose the Bushnell 1600 for the optics and performance, period.[quote name='toddnt' timestamp='1303751061' post='3184192']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote name='shortgamehero' timestamp='1303749439' post='3184123']
[quote name='2 down auto's' timestamp='1303696866' post='3182781']
[/quote]

This whole statement is pretty much unfounded. First off, Leupold is fairly new to the golf world while Bushnell has been around forever. That's why is it a staple on tour (for now) as well as the pros being given the units or paid to use them. Leupold's optics are better HANDS DOWN. [b][u]Anyone with military or hunting experience knows their[/u][/b] [b][u]reputation.[/u][/b] They have just recently entered the golfing market.

And it is true about the GX-3 having a better laser than the Bushnell or GX-2 for that matter. I was deciding between the GX-2 and GX-3 at Golfsmith and could not acquire anything through the front window with the GX-2. Even so, I bought it thinking I would love the slope. Out on the course I found I didn't even use the slope (even with hills) and the skinny black readout wasn't too friendly. So I exchanged it for the GX-3 and have not been happier. The GX-3 seems to acquire much faster and easier and the OLED is a TON easier to see. Plus I can use it legally in the city tournament.
[/quote]

I didn't reply to that post only b/c I'm not American. What I wanted to say to "2 down auto" is: They use LEUPOLD because their life depends on it! :hi:

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

[quote name='swgolfer' timestamp='1303756165' post='3184460']
[/quote]
[/quote]
You have no clue why tour caddies use what they do. Most of the people on these threads did their own research and found the leupold to be a better product. When Tiger was sponsored by Buick, did you go trade-in all your cars for Buicks?

How would you know whether I have a clue or not what the caddies use, as a matter of fact I'm privy to exactly what they are using and what they like and dislike about both brands. I have a feeling the caddies and players are slightly better at doing their research, its their full-time job not a "posting on a thread" hobby. If you want to look at the Darrell Survey numbers they are typically about 80% to 90% Bushnell, bottom line is both brands produce accurate yardage and the rest is personal.

There is a MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing) policy on all products like these... There is a reason you can find Leupold lasers on sale and below MAP. I understand this also happens with other products, including Bushnell.. But if this product is so good, (Leupold must have some of you on the payroll!!) why are so many retailers selling these lasers for no margin??
So here's the blindfold test ---- Do you buy a laser with 7X magnification & a 2 year warranty, or do you buy a laser with 6X magnification & a 1 year warranty.. Magnification is what makes these lasers better and easier to use (the target is larger, appears closer and therefore is easier to hit with the crosshairs) not the color of the LED readout. You decide, its your $$$.

[quote name='2 down auto's' timestamp='1303962313' post='3192326']
There is a MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing) policy on all products like these... There is a reason you can find Leupold lasers on sale and below MAP. I understand this also happens with other products, including Bushnell.. But if this product is so good, (Leupold must have some of you on the payroll!!) why are so many retailers selling these lasers for no margin??
So here's the blindfold test ---- Do you buy a laser with 7X magnification & a 2 year warranty, or do you buy a laser with 6X magnification & a 1 year warranty.. Magnification is what makes these lasers better and easier to use (the target is larger, appears closer and therefore is easier to hit with the crosshairs) not the color of the LED readout. You decide, its your $$.
[/quote]

I would rather have a 1 year warranty on a better product that doesn't break than a useless 2 year warranty on a unit the breaks.

[quote name='NWS Alpine' timestamp='1304001933' post='3193073']
[quote name='2 down auto's' timestamp='1303962313' post='3192326']
So here's the blindfold test ---- Do you buy a laser with 7X magnification & a 2 year warranty, or do you buy a laser with 6X magnification & a 1 year warranty.. Magnification is what makes these lasers better and easier to use (the target is larger, appears closer and therefore is easier to hit with the crosshairs) not the color of the LED readout. You decide, its your $$.
[/quote]

I would rather have a 1 year warranty on a better product that doesn't break than a useless 2 year warranty on a unit the breaks.
[/quote]
yep...I'd rather have the better product. Leupold is known for their pure optics. Bushnell is known for issues.

Bushnell's warranty stinks. I know from first hand experience. Its just an excuse for an upsell for them. I doubt they even bothered looking at my V2 to even try and fix it.
I hope to never have to use the warranty on my GX-3 but if I do then I would be hard pushed to have an experience such as with Bushnell.
My GX-3 is the absolute nuts and for that I thank Bushnell else I may have never known what real quality is.

To those Bushnell users then you have a perfectly adequate product as I did. I hope you never need the warranty but I am positive that your yardages are just as good as my yardages.
To those of us Leupold users then we know we have the best product available. The rest is entirely moot and simply personal preference. My preference is to not give business to crappy manufacturers.

[quote name='Ognils' timestamp='1304043572' post='3194935']
Bushnell's warranty stinks. I know from first hand experience. Its just an excuse for an upsell for them. I doubt they even bothered looking at my V2 to even try and fix it.
I hope to never have to use the warranty on my GX-3 but if I do then I would be hard pushed to have an experience such as with Bushnell.
My GX-3 is the absolute nuts and for that I thank Bushnell else I may have never known what real quality is.

To those Bushnell users then you have a perfectly adequate product as I did. I hope you never need the warranty but I am positive that your yardages are just as good as my yardages.
To those of us Leupold users then we know we have the best product available. The rest is entirely moot and simply personal preference. My preference is to not give business to crappy manufacturers.
[/quote]

I agree and love my GX-3. And I have dealt with Leupold customer service once already and they are GREAT! I called to ask if I could PURCHASE the GX-2 case with the bungee strap closure as I was afraid the magnetic one on the GX-3 case would fly open while walking. The guy just sent my a GX-2 case for FREE (you didn't hear it from me ;) ) I had every intention of buying one and he shipped it free in 2 days no questions asked :)

[quote name='shortgamehero' timestamp='1304357803' post='3202273']
[quote name='Ognils' timestamp='1304043572' post='3194935']

[/quote]

I agree and love my GX-3. And I have dealt with Leupold customer service once already and they are GREAT! I called to ask if I could PURCHASE the GX-2 case with the bungee strap closure as I was afraid the magnetic one on the GX-3 case would fly open while walking. The guy just sent my a GX-2 case for FREE (you didn't hear it from me ;) ) I had every intention of buying one and he shipped it free in 2 days no questions asked :)
[/quote]

Yeah there are a few threads on the crap service from Bushnell and taking almost a whole season for repairs sometimes. Leupold on the other hand has nothing but excellent feedback. This is true for all of leupold products which is why they carry a great reputation with all their divisions.