2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ohio Golf Association unveils "uniform ball"...

TNSooner

This is stupid...
Looks like the Ohio Golf Association has adopted the "uniform ball" idea for it's Champions Tournament later this month.

It doesn't have a logo and nobody will reveal who makes the ball, but it is reported to be a three-piece, very high-spin, low compression ball. They are saying that it is 6-7 yards shorter with the driver, 5 yds. shorter off the irons and about 20 yds. shorter on drives into the wind.

Apparently, the OGA isn't in real good standing with the USGA since they declared a local rule in all OGA events in the early 80's that it is legal to tap down spike marks, so this move isn't really out of character with the Ohio Golf Assoc.

I don't want to start any fights here, but I think this is a dumb idea. Sure, the ball may be flying farther, but the scores haven't gone down as proportionately as distances have gone up.

My .02.....

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess they think 1 ball fits every one . :kewlpics: I disagree . I read that article too ; they want to make 1 ball that fits a swing speed between 110-115 . What if someone swings faster than that. Do they take into account that some players spin the ball more than others . A ball that works great for one guy may be totally wrong for someone else . I understand that technology is making some courses obsolete .( I probably started a whole new argument with that one . )Penalize players that make a bad swing , add some rough or bunkers. Narrow the fairways . But don't penalize a player that makes a good swing with a ball that doesn't fit their game .

This is so incredibly stupid. If you have two people who are identical in skill but one of them has launch characteristics that match the ball and one of them who doesn't, how is this going to "preserve" the game?

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

This is so incredibly stupid. If you have two people who are identical in skill but one of them has launch characteristics that match the ball and one of them who doesn't, how is this going to "preserve" the game?

Agreed... pretty much kills the reasons why so many different models of golf balls were ever developed...

Please forgive my ignorance, as I am not nearly good enough to compete in tournaments (hell, I'm so bad that they shouldn't even let me watch tournaments), so I am completely confused.

What possible rationale is there for this rule? If golf (and by "golf", I mean the sport as a whole) wants to address longer hitting by the players, shouldn't they do so in a uniform manner? I mean, club specs and performance, and ball specs and performance are already subject to standards. It sounds to me like Ohio is simply substituting an "inferior" ball. How can that possibly help the sport?

I realize that players today are hitting the ball further than ever before - partly because of technology and partly because golf is becoming more and more a "sport" instead of a "game" (i.e. players are training like never before.) But increased performance is a necessary by-product of equipment based sports. Skiers turn quicker, snowboarders go higher, and cyclists go faster now because of better technology. Again, how is chaining golfers to an inferior ball supposed to better the sport?

Even if you disagree with the Ohio rule, can someone explain the rationale to me?

Hopefully this assanine decision, and the golf community's response, will be publicized heavily so that the people that came up with this idiotic idea will get the exposure they deserve. The only way stupidity like this will be stamped out is if more people hear about it and voice their objections. This is one of those decisions that has very little if any "pros" to list next to the long list of "cons".

Let's hope the golf world rejects this as fast as the knowlegdable members here at Golfwrx have!

OK, I'll play devil's advocat here...

I do disagree with one ball as well, specifically the way the Ohio GA has implemented it. However... for the pro tours, I agree with Arnold Palmer in that the idea of having a uniform limit on ball speed has some merit. Some of the great old courses are already becoming obsolete. The ball manufacturers can still make balls with unique characteristics such as 3 piece, 4 piece, more spin, higher flight, lower flight, etc., and still stay within a certain ball speed limit. Long hitters would still be long hitters, but they just wouldn't be driving par 4's anymore.

Maybe there already is a limit, I'm not sure.

Haha this is like what restrictor plate racing is to Nascar. I'm going to play the devils advocate here. While I think the Champions Tour is a poor choice for introducing this idea, I think the idea itself is sound. Naturally players are going to oppose this as it takes away another potential area for gaining an advantage. It does, IMO, level the playing field a bit in terms of skill and that should be a good thing in any competition. Furthermore I applaud making tapping down spike marks legal. I have missed too many birdie putts because I like to die the ball into the hole and so many times spike marks change the ball direction just before it hits the hole. I hate that! In fact I can't think of any reason why tapping down spike marks should be illeagal.

So how about uniform drivers, putters, irons, shoes...toilet paper?

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

for the person that was wondering what the rationale for it is...it simply is because ohio like the other states that lie on or near the great lakes have an abundance of CLASSIC, great golf courses...ross, raynor, mackenzie...etc. these courses were built 80-110 years ago for the most part. they are not long enough for todays equipment. they would like to utilize the great courses they have, but they dont want these courses to be turned into a "pitch-n-putt"

it seems that the bulk of the responses towards this subject on here are not in favor due to individual's launch and spin characteristics. dont get me wrong, there is a lot of validity to that, however in my opinion this is whats wrong with this country...keep it simple...if they make you play with a particular ball, accept it, put it on a tee and go play.

if they dont do this, their tournaments will be relegated to just a few of the brand new, beefed-up length tracks. golf isnt a fair game to begin with, someone is always going to get a bad rub of the green from time to time...however, that person will also get a good rub of the green once in awhile to. would you rather watch the tour play at Merion or Valhalla? I know there are some Valhalla people out here, but from a historic, old school point of view, I would much prefer to watch them at Merion as I would prefer competing there for a big tournament as well. It is like comparing Fenway Park to the Metrodome. They are both a great goal to get to, but isn't Fenway or Yankee Stadium just a little more special?!?

the courses that were considered great just 10 years ago have succombed to this power game. do you remember when placement of your drive was important? do you remember trying to avoid a fairway bunker off of the tee as opposed to just taking it over the trap? do you remember the days when not even the guys on tv could back the ball up out of the rough?

the response should be interesting. im sure well see people calling me old, then there will be the ones that question my length, keep this in mind while reading this, i am a 33 year old professional, and i will happly take on all challengers...

I am all for advancement with equipment, as i too am an equipment geek. but i think we have gone past the point of return with the game unfortunately.

nicklaus and palmer have been talking about going to a one-ball tournament back when MAxfl was still making the HT Balata in the early 90's...the latest balls are 100 times better than those

golf is at a critical point right now. while the sport enjoyed a giant boom over the last 20 years and saw more courses being built all over the country...now courses are disappearing at a staggering rate...we have to protect the classic courses in my opinion. i will leave you with a quote from an article i read 2 days ago from a major newspaper talking about all of the courses being closed and the land now being sold off for housing, it should scare everyone...

"In 2005, there were fewer golf courses--including those temporarily closed for renovation--in the United States than the year before. That is the first time that has happened since 1945, right after World War II"

for the person that was wondering what the rationale for it is...it simply is because ohio like the other states that lie on or near the great lakes have an abundance of CLASSIC, great golf courses...ross, raynor, mackenzie...etc. these courses were built 80-110 years ago for the most part. they are not long enough for todays equipment. they would like to utilize the great courses they have, but they dont want these courses to be turned into a "pitch-n-putt"

it seems that the bulk of the responses towards this subject on here are not in favor due to individual's launch and spin characteristics. dont get me wrong, there is a lot of validity to that, however in my opinion this is whats wrong with this country...keep it simple...if they make you play with a particular ball, accept it, put it on a tee and go play.

if they dont do this, their tournaments will be relegated to just a few of the brand new, beefed-up length tracks. golf isnt a fair game to begin with, someone is always going to get a bad rub of the green from time to time...however, that person will also get a good rub of the green once in awhile to. would you rather watch the tour play at Merion or Valhalla? I know there are some Valhalla people out here, but from a historic, old school point of view, I would much prefer to watch them at Merion as I would prefer competing there for a big tournament as well. It is like comparing Fenway Park to the Metrodome. They are both a great goal to get to, but isn't Fenway or Yankee Stadium just a little more special?!?

the courses that were considered great just 10 years ago have succombed to this power game. do you remember when placement of your drive was important? do you remember trying to avoid a fairway bunker off of the tee as opposed to just taking it over the trap? do you remember the days when not even the guys on tv could back the ball up out of the rough?

the response should be interesting. im sure well see people calling me old, then there will be the ones that question my length, keep this in mind while reading this, i am a 33 year old professional, and i will happly take on all challengers...

I am all for advancement with equipment, as i too am an equipment geek. but i think we have gone past the point of return with the game unfortunately.

nicklaus and palmer have been talking about going to a one-ball tournament back when MAxfl was still making the HT Balata in the early 90's...the latest balls are 100 times better than those

golf is at a critical point right now. while the sport enjoyed a giant boom over the last 20 years and saw more courses being built all over the country...now courses are disappearing at a staggering rate...we have to protect the classic courses in my opinion. i will leave you with a quote from an article i read 2 days ago from a major newspaper talking about all of the courses being closed and the land now being sold off for housing, it should scare everyone...

"In 2005, there were fewer golf courses--including those temporarily closed for renovation--in the United States than the year before. That is the first time that has happened since 1945, right after World War II"

I like your style Mhccap.

Pitch-N-Putt? There are plenty of courses long enough to have tournamemnts. Not to mention most courses here have so many tree lined fairways that you'll need to keep it the fairway. This move by the OGA is simply for PR. If it works their the cats Word not allowed and others may follow. If not, they'll go back. I don't think this rule will last long.

This should be done one day, but not quite like this. Every manufacturer who makes balls should make a PGA tour only model. It flies shorter and doesn't spin as well, but it carries the brand logo. Then they just sell the normal juiced balls to the public. So the pros are using a resrticed V1, Nike One, or whatever. I think that is the best comrpomise.

Not really, we would all have MORE $$$ in our pockets! :help:

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

I think the same ball rule is a bad idea. If they want to keep the older great courses in the tournament rotation, simply require wooden drivers and fairway woods.

In fact, I think it would be interesting if the PGA tour did this. Much like MLB requires wood bats. Fenway Park and Wrigley Field and many other classic parks would be obsolete and the whole game would be different with titanium bats at the major league level.

I think the same ball rule is a bad idea. If they want to keep the older great courses in the tournament rotation, simply require wooden drivers and fairway woods.

In fact, I think it would be interesting if the PGA tour did this. Much like MLB requires wood bats. Fenway Park and Wrigley Field and many other classic parks would be obsolete and the whole game would be different with titanium bats at the major league level.

Thats a good idea but the easiest thing to change is the ball.

we would have to go back to balata if they made us go back to wooden heads...the balls today would crack those heads so bad. i personally think the first driver that freaked me out was the old titleist 975d...it was the first driver that allowed to misses to go forever...

it has to be one or the other, personally i think the ball is the major problem. there is no such thing as "shot-making" any longer. with the right head/shaft combo ANYONE can hit it straight nowadays.

also guys, please know, when i wrote my earlier response that i am not anti-technology, i just think it has gone way too far in the last 10 years especially.

I am exceptionally curious to see how the OGA experiment plays out. This discussion has been repeated in a variety of venues over the months and this will provide the first data on the effect of using a common ball. All the talk to this point has been what a terrible thing the ball changes have done to the game. I've yet to be convinced that the game is somehow easier than it used to be before technology. Notice how much average scoring has come down over the years? I know I'm at least 10 shots better than I've ever been because all the improvements make it so easy to get the ball in the hole...NOT. Until someone can show me, with factual evidence, that the improvements in club and ball technology make it easier to lower my score this discussion is nothing but mental calistentics.

The pro tours already have a uniform ball, it's called the prov1 & pro v1 clones. pro v1 balls have 117 wins this year to date. The pro v1, hx tour, tp, Z-urs, B330 & whatever else is in play are all multilayer urethane covered balls. If Corey Pavin plays a pro v1 & Bubba Watson Plays a pro v1 (X) What more does Ian MacCallister & the OGA want? I say screw the OGA, who the hell taps down spike marks anyways?