2011 - 2012 CALLAWAY GOLF IRONS SHOOTOUT REVIEW

Wow, impressive review!! Thanks for taking the time!

I am one of those that are just as interested in the FT's as the new irons. How would you compare the feel of these to the other irons? Many reviews say they are "soft" and "creamy" despite the titanium face. How would you describe them in comparison?

Thanks!!

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Sabre3' timestamp='1304163571' post='3197780']I have been playing DCi 981's for way to long now. Got fitted and it was between the cg-16 tours and X-Tours. Opted for the X-tours with the 1/4" longer shafts and just overall feel. I can't believe I am not going back to Titleist. Never thought I would play cally irons until now. Tried them against ap1's and jpx800 pros as well.
[/quote]

Ah, so you've hit them already Sabre3. haha, no wonder you're excited. It's great you took the time to get fitted, and compared the Callaways to those other irons first. You know you're getting exactly what want, and need for that matter, when you go the route you did.

[quote name='tomg1969' timestamp='1304097552' post='3196310']
Wow...probably the most detailed comparison/review that i've ever seen on WRX.
Thanks for taking the time!
[/quote]

[quote name='Bravo36' timestamp='1304117347' post='3196952']
Damn...now that's what I call a fricking review!

Well done, and may it serve as an instrument of instruction for those wishing to do future reviews.

Good job brother!
[/quote]

[quote name='Trevorn' timestamp='1304112199' post='3196815']
Best review I have read here. Well done.

Now, can you do a review comparing the AP2, AP1, Razr Tour and the Taylormade TP CB and MC, you will have covered everything off for me!!
[/quote]

Thanks for the compliments tomg1969, Bravo36, and Trevhorn :)

[quote name='bifftaco' timestamp='1304164988' post='3197797']
Wow, impressive review!! Thanks for taking the time!

I am one of those that are just as interested in the FT's as the new irons. How would you compare the feel of these to the other irons? Many reviews say they are "soft" and "creamy" despite the titanium face. How would you describe them in comparison?

Thanks!!
[/quote]

bifftaco, first, here are some FT face ( 4 iron, and 8 iron), and top line pictures. I didn't include these in the review since it was less about the FTs, but since you're asking about them, who doesn't like a few pictures. :)

FT 4 Iron
[attachment=969753:ft44.jpg]

FT 8 Iron
[attachment=969751:ft1.jpg]

FT Top Line
[attachment=969755:ftoffset.jpg]

As far as the feel goes, I'd say they're probably closest in feel to the Diablo Forged. I'm not saying they're as soft feeling as the Diablo Forged, but they do have a softer feel than you typically expect with a cast iron. However they also have a nice firm click to them (like the Diablo Forged).

Hope that helps some. And for what it's worth, you'd have to pry the FT's from my hands before I ever got rid of them. Some 3 years later after release, I like them as much as I did when they first came out.

[quote name='hardxray' timestamp='1304165674' post='3197807']
Fantastic - Best review, I have read to date on this site. Me liking the Razr X Tour..

Hey, could you do the same for the drivers?
[/quote]
Glad you like this SHOOTOUT :hunter: review hardxray. Me liking the RAZR X Tours too haha. :yahoo:

And actually regarding the drivers, another comparative review is already in the works yes.

I've had the RAZR Hawk Tour and Diablo Octane Tour drivers since release, both with the same shaft, again in part because I like the particular shafts, and also in part so I can make a better comparison between the two heads. Also have the RAZR Hawk Fairway, and Diablo Octane Tour Fairway, both same shafts again, and actually same shafts as the drivers for that matter.

But it might be some time though before I get those driver and fairway reviews up. There are a few excellent reviews on them up already in various places though.

If you have specific questions in the meantime, just PM me and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have if I can.

"As far as the feel goes, I'd say they're probably closest in feel to the Diablo Forged. I'm not saying they're as soft feeling as the Diablo Forged, but they do have a softer feel than you typically expect with a cast iron. However they also have a nice firm click to them (like the Diablo Forged).

Hope that helps some. And for what it's worth, you'd have to pry the FT's from my hands before I ever got rid of them. Some 3 years later after release, I like them as much as I did when they first came out. "

- Awesome! Thanks for the pics as well.

I am liking the FT's more and more. Just thick enough to inspire confidence and just sleek enough to inspire, well... confidence!

[quote name='bifftaco' timestamp='1304171264' post='3197899']
"As far as the feel goes, I'd say they're probably closest in feel to the Diablo Forged. I'm not saying they're as soft feeling as the Diablo Forged, but they do have a softer feel than you typically expect with a cast iron. However they also have a nice firm click to them (like the Diablo Forged).

Hope that helps some. And for what it's worth, you'd have to pry the FT's from my hands before I ever got rid of them. Some 3 years later after release, I like them as much as I did when they first came out. "

I am liking the FT's more and more. Just thick enough to inspire confidence and just sleek enough to inspire, well... confidence!
[/quote]
I see you went ahead and ordered the FT's from Callaway Pre-Owned biff. Congratulations! You couldn't resist hmm. Good choice, and great deals on them now. I've bought from them in the past and the quality is outstanding. You'll be very pleased. :yess:

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1304175923' post='3198013']
[quote name='bifftaco' timestamp='1304171264' post='3197899']

[/quote]
I see you went ahead and ordered the FT's from Callaway Pre-Owned biff. Congratulations! You couldn't resist hmm. Good choice, and great deals on them now. I've bought from them in the past and the quality is outstanding. You'll be very pleased. :yess:
[/quote]

Yep - I couldn't resist!

I only play 6 iron and down and they had a 6-pw, sw wedge set in LN condition. I called customer service and got 20% off the web price so that sealed the deal!

I would have preferred a gap wedge, but that wasn't available. I'll probably have the SW bent a couple of degrees strong (from 55 to 53) and I will be right back to my typical set up.

I can't wait to give them a go!

[quote name='bifftaco' timestamp='1304177190' post='3198046']Yep - I couldn't resist!

I only play 6 iron and down and they had a 6-pw, sw wedge set in LN condition. I called customer service and got 20% off the web price so that sealed the deal!

I would have preferred a gap wedge, but that wasn't available. I'll probably have the SW bent a couple of degrees strong (from 55 to 53) and I will be right back to my typical set up.

I can't wait to give them a go!
[/quote]

Niiiiiiice! Really, if you haven't bought from them, you're in for a nice surprise. When the say like new, it's better than like new. Wait until you get them. :yahoo:

And great deal 20% off. Their customer service is top notch too. If you ever have any questions or problems, there's always someone there who knows their stuff and wants to help above all else.

Congrats on your great purchase!

Fantastic review! I've been looking for opinions and reviews on the Razr X-Tours but there isn't much around.

I've just come back to golf after 2 1/2 years off and currently play TM R7 Tp's with 5.5 Rifle flighted shafts . They don't work for me anymore because they're 2 degrees flat from my one plane swing days pre-quitting, which is a method i've abandoned.

Callaway did a fitting at my local course on 1st April (no joke) and I got fitted with Razr X-Tours with 5.5 PX flighted shafts. Unfortunately the clubs haven't turned up yet over 4 weeks later. Apparently Callaway in the UK don't have a 6 iron...they've agreed to send me the set minus the 6-iron next week. Not sure why they're out of 6-iron heads, weird!

The Pro at my local club lent me his demo set of Razr X-Tours today, so will give them a play tomorrow. They've got DG S300 shafts, which aren't my favourite, but will be good to give the clubs a go.

The course that I play on is a links, so a flat lie is a rare thing. Your reviews of how the irons play from different lies was very interesting. I've got to admit I didn't even think about that when I ordered them, but then again I've only been a member on this course for a couple of months so these interesting lies are new to me.

When I bought the R7 Tp's I was intending to buy the FT's, but they ballooned too much for me, so good to hear that the Razr X-Tours have a lower trajectory. Even when it's not very windy here it's still normally at least a club difference depending on direction, and a 145 yard par 3 can be anything between a Driver and wedge when it's blowing, so a higher, more spinning flight isn't good.

Thank's again for the great review, looking forward to reading more. I'll post how the Razr X-Tours compare to the R7 TP's and how they work for me from different lies and wind conditions once i've given them a go. :)

[quote name='drugazi' timestamp='1304204273' post='3198504']
this is one intense write up...props. too bad callaway sucks!
[/quote]
Awesome well thought out post there :russian_roulette::russian_roulette::russian_roulette::russian_roulette::russian_roulette:

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

:coolpics::clapping::kewlpics::beruo:

One of the best reviews ever posted here, or anywhere.

Great photos and narrative. Hope to see a Driver reveiw soon! :russian_roulette:

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

Perhaps one of the best equipment reviews I've ever read, here or there. I've been luck enough to know the OP for quite some time, so I know just how much hard work and preparation went into this from him. The best part is, he didn't do it for any other reason other than the fact that he's a fan and advocate of Callaway Golf. We all like certain companies for whatever reasons, but a review and post like this shows that he isn't all talk or motivated for any other reasons besides his enjoyment of not only playing Callaway sticks but dealing with them as a company.

I'm not a big poster here, but lurk often, and am much more involved with another online golf community and I thought this review was top notch. I don't believe that a stone was left unturned and I literally have very few questions concerning any of the irons. I especially like the fact that every set was outfitted with the same shafts, that makes his arguments and finding much more concrete to me.

Just wanted to say well done on the review. It was a fantastic read, and I will certainly be looking forward to your Callaway driver/fwy wood write up!

[quote name='mul1gan' timestamp='1304218208' post='3198852']
great review!!!!!

i have a set of the X tours, what is yours shaft with?

what i also noticed about the x tours is that i find it harder to dig or take deeper divots. Is this bc of the bounce and footprint/sole?
[/quote]

I believe he has the Nippon 950's in all of his irons.

[quote name='tcalloway1' timestamp='1304250535' post='3199336']
Perhaps one of the best equipment reviews I've ever read, here or there. I've been luck enough to know the OP for quite some time, so I know just how much hard work and preparation went into this from him. The best part is, he didn't do it for any other reason other than the fact that he's a fan and advocate of Callaway Golf. We all like certain companies for whatever reasons, but a review and post like this shows that he isn't all talk or motivated for any other reasons besides his enjoyment of not only playing Callaway sticks but dealing with them as a company.

I'm not a big poster here, but lurk often, and am much more involved with another online golf community and I thought this review was top notch. I don't believe that a stone was left unturned and I literally have very few questions concerning any of the irons. I especially like the fact that every set was outfitted with the same shafts, that makes his arguments and finding much more concrete to me.

Just wanted to say well done on the review. It was a fantastic read, and I will certainly be looking forward to your Callaway driver/fwy wood write up!
[/quote]

Don't let tc's modesty fool you. He knows a ton about golf, and has a better game than me to boot! I'm just happy I was able to help you some in your decision making process as you get ready for the Morgan Cup. TC is playing in an amateur tournament this fall and has Callaway sponsoring him. It's been my pleasure to answer any questions you've had along the way in getting that bag square. And hope this ongoing review helps people in the same way. Now get out there and bring home the Cup baby! :)

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1304258902' post='3199526']
[quote name='tcalloway1' timestamp='1304250535' post='3199336']

[/quote]

Don't let tc's modesty fool you. He knows a ton about golf, and has a better game than me to boot! I'm just happy I was able to help you some in your decision making process as you get ready for the Morgan Cup. TC is playing in an amateur tournament this fall and has Callaway sponsoring him. It's been my pleasure to answer any questions you've had along the way in getting that bag square. And hope this ongoing review helps people in the same way. Now get out there and bring home the Cup baby! :)
[/quote]

I will certainly give it my all. I did find your review extremely helpfull to my cause. I'm extremely torn between the Razr X Forged irons and the Razr X Tours to be honest. The pros of one can certainly out weigh the cons of another sometimes and vice versa. The turf interaction is what intrigues me the most, yet so does the little bit of extra forgiveness. I won't lie, the stronger lofts in the scoring irons of the Tours I prefer as well, even for an internet golfer :hi: .

Again, well done. I can respect the amount of time, hard work and effort that went into this. I found it super informative.

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' timestamp='1304207575' post='3198558']
[quote name='drugazi' timestamp='1304204273' post='3198504']
this is one intense write up...props. too bad callaway sucks!
[/quote]
Awesome well thought out post there :russian_roulette::russian_roulette::russian_roulette::russian_roulette::russian_roulette:
[/quote]
Haha, that's ok. I actually like some trash talk between people who prefer one brand to another. I guess as long as it doesn't go overboard, it's all good.

I was at a golf clinic a few years ago, and David Leadbetter was the feature performer. Well he was taking shots at TaylorMade left and right, calling their clubs garbage. I laughed, but some of me couldn't also help but think he seems to have an ax to grind.

Anyway, I think it's fun until people cross the line and make it personal and insulting. Short of that, trash talking can be pretty entertaining.

[quote name='golfdad907' timestamp='1304217309' post='3198805']
:coolpics::clapping::kewlpics::beruo:

One of the best reviews ever posted here, or anywhere.

Great photos and narrative. Hope to see a Driver reveiw soon! :russian_roulette:
[/quote]
Thanks, actually I wish I had put up better pictures. I put those up hastily just to have some eye candy with the review. I was planning on using other pictures from the grass, but wanted to post the review when it was done, rather than waiting on more pictures. Didn't put nearly the time into taking those pics as in hitting the clubs, collecting the numbers, processing them all, and then writing it.

But I'll get some sweet driver comparison pictures up for you when the comparative driver review goes up.

[quote name='mul1gan' timestamp='1304218208' post='3198852']
great review!!!!!

i have a set of the X tours, what is yours shaft with?

what i also noticed about the x tours is that i find it harder to dig or take deeper divots. Is this bc of the bounce and footprint/sole?
[/quote]
I have the Nippon N.S PRO 990GH, which is the Nippon made for Callaway version of the Nippon N.S PRO 950. Depending on who you ask, the flex rating for the 990GH is a stiff, or a uniflex.

And yes you're right about the RAZR X Tour divots. They're different because they have more camber (leading edge to trailing edge curve) than the other irons, making them less inclined to dig in that respect. I'm not sure bounce plays that big a role in itself though, because the differences in bounce between the irons is relatively small. There's generally only a few degrees differece in bounce between the RAZR X Tour irons and the Diablo Forged irons, and between the RAZR X Tour irons and RAZR X Forged irons. I think the differences in bounce become more noteworthy when you compare the RAZR X Forged irons to the Diablo Forged irons.

Beautiful review! I just played yesterday with the Razr X Tours. DG S300 was too stiff for me but we will switch them out with the DG R300 and they should be awesome. I can't afford to give up the 10 yards it seemed the S300s cost me.

Cobra Fly Z+ Driver
Cobra Fly Z Faiway
TM Aero Burner Hybrid
TM RSi1 4-AW Irons
TM Tour Preferred ATV 56*
SC Fastback 1.5

[quote name='Sarnia' timestamp='1304201447' post='3198451']
Fantastic review! I've been looking for opinions and reviews on the Razr X-Tours but there isn't much around.

I've just come back to golf after 2 1/2 years off and currently play TM R7 Tp's with 5.5 Rifle flighted shafts . They don't work for me anymore because they're 2 degrees flat from my one plane swing days pre-quitting, which is a method i've abandoned.

Callaway did a fitting at my local course on 1st April (no joke) and I got fitted with Razr X-Tours with 5.5 PX flighted shafts. Unfortunately the clubs haven't turned up yet over 4 weeks later. Apparently Callaway in the UK don't have a 6 iron...they've agreed to send me the set minus the 6-iron next week. Not sure why they're out of 6-iron heads, weird!

The Pro at my local club lent me his demo set of Razr X-Tours today, so will give them a play tomorrow. They've got DG S300 shafts, which aren't my favourite, but will be good to give the clubs a go.

The course that I play on is a links, so a flat lie is a rare thing. Your reviews of how the irons play from different lies was very interesting. I've got to admit I didn't even think about that when I ordered them, but then again I've only been a member on this course for a couple of months so these interesting lies are new to me.

When I bought the R7 Tp's I was intending to buy the FT's, but they ballooned too much for me, so good to hear that the Razr X-Tours have a lower trajectory. Even when it's not very windy here it's still normally at least a club difference depending on direction, and a 145 yard par 3 can be anything between a Driver and wedge when it's blowing, so a higher, more spinning flight isn't good.

Thank's again for the great review, looking forward to reading more. I'll post how the Razr X-Tours compare to the R7 TP's and how they work for me from different lies and wind conditions once i've given them a go. :)
[/quote]

Can't wait to hear how they play for you Sarnia. Yes peculiar the 6 iron wouldn't be included. Did you ask why? I'd be curious. When I ordered my Diablo Forged irons set, it shipped in parts, but no single iron was actually missing.

I bet you're actually going to like the DG in the RAZR X Tours, even if not as much as the PX Flighted. Someone was asking me in a PM yesterday about lowering flight in these irons, and I mentioned that I suspect the DG shaft is stock in the RAZR X Tours irons not for cost reasons, but because Callaway believes the DG will give the most people the best flight with these irons. Another member tc who has posted here is looking at lower flight too, and might be going with the new KBS C Taper shafts (to lower spin and launch).

Being fitted for the shafts was your best bet though, and I imagine the PX Flighted 5.5 will give you your best results.

WRX is running a contest right now, giving away the C Taper shafts. Why not enter? Can't hurt to try your luck right? Here's a link: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/465352-kbs-c-taper-giveaway-3-sets-here-and-30-on-facebook/

They're getting rave reviews, but I didn't enter the contest because I'm absolutely satisfied with my Nippon shafts :)

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1304108491' post='3196701']
[quote name='Ryedhel' timestamp='1304104501' post='3196573']
A very excellent review. One of the best I've read.

Being a current FT iron player, where would you rate the forgiveness and ball flight of the FT irons compared to the DEF and RHT irons?
[/quote]

Hey Rye, I too enjoy playing the FT's still. I don't think they got the credit they deserved when they came out. I didn't include these in my testing, but I've played them enough to actually have visualizations still of ball flight and memories of feel.

Ball flight is generally lower than the Diablo Forged, but higher than the RAZR X Tours. They launch higher than the Diablo Forged, but have a lower peak height. I'm sure this has to do with the Diablo Forged irons spinning more.

I saw people write about these ballooning when they came out, but I never had that problem. I do however like high ball flight and benefit from it probably more than those who prefer more penetrating flight.

Still I'd say if ball flight was closer to one or the other, I'd say the FT flight is closer to the RAZR X Tour than the Diablo Forged irons. This despite having more offset than any irons in this shootout.

[b]As far as forgiveness goes, you know how forgiving they are. Comparing them to the RAZR X Tour, and Diablo Forged irons, I'd have to say again they probably fall somewhere in between the two.

[/b]I have no numbers for these, but if memory serves me, these irons have a big sweet spot. So they might be forgiving like the RAZR X Tour irons in that regard. And in terms of mishits, I think they probably are more similar to the Diablo Forged irons, and so a little more forgiving than the RAZR X Tours in that regard.

The next time I pull these out, I'll take a RAZR X Tour, and Diablo Forged iron or two along with me, and hit some side by side by side shots, so I can be sure. But the memories of feel and ball flight I have in my mind now are pretty certain. I loved these irons when they came out, and still love them today.

Even if you decide to upgrade to one of Callaway's newer models, I'd say hold on to those FT's. They're like a trusty pair of sneakers. :)
[/quote]

So you feel in your opinion the DEF is more forgiving on mishits toward the toe than the FT? I ask due to that is my most common miscue, a little towards the toe sometimes with my Fusions.

Loved my Fusions for quite a while but thinking of getting the DEF for future play in possible amateur events if I ever get the time to practice and play again.

Thanks for any response and thanks for the complete review as that had to be time consuming.

-David

:taylormade-small: SIM 9* - Hzdrus RDX Black 70

:taylormade-small: M1-3HL- Hzdrus RDX Blue 70

:callaway-small:     Steelhead 7WD RCH99

:bridgestone-small: J15 CB 4-pw C-Taper Lite

:benhogan-small:Equalizer Wedges 50*-54*-58* V- Tour

:seemore:- M3W

MAXFLI TOUR 

[quote name='Lefty19' timestamp='1304262746' post='3199627']

So you feel in your opinion the DEF is more forgiving on mishits toward the toe than the FT? I ask due to that is my most common miscue, a little towards the toe sometimes with my Fusions.

Loved my Fusions for quite a while but thinking of getting the DEF for future play in possible amateur events if I ever get the time to practice and play again.

Thanks for any response and thanks for the complete review as that had to be time consuming.

-David
[/quote]
Hi David, I can't answer that with certainty, since as mentioned, I didn't test the FT irons with the RAZR X Forged, RAZR X Tour, and Diablo Forged irons. I'm just going on memory where the FT irons are concered.

However when I said the FT irons probably fall between the RAZR X Tour, and Diablo X Forged irons in terms of mishit forgiveness, I'm fairly certain that's would be proven by testing on a simulator. In other words, I'm fairly certain the FT irons are more forgiving than the RAZR X Tours on mishits.

What I can't say with certainty however, is if the Diablo Forged irons are more forgiving on mishits than the FT irons, or vice versaa.

And I don't want to say for sure, and then have you go out and buy a set of Diablo Forged irons, only to find out they don't perform much better off the toe than the FTs. The next time I go to the simulator, I'll bring along an FT 4 iron and 8 iron and smack some off the toe (maybe even go all out and do a full testing all over the face), and then let you know the relative distance losses off the toe, compared to the average distances when hit on the sweet spot. And then of course compare those numbers between the FT and Diablo Forged irons.

I can tell you however, if you miss off the toe, the RAZR X Forged irons tested worst for relative distance loss. But the Diablo Forged tested best. I tried to not say if either was "bad" or good" in an absolute sense, because while 10 to 15 yards lost is probably considered bad by most people (even if expected on toe mishits), others might think only 7 to 8 yards is unacceptable, and bad. And again that's going to depend on what that player expects out of his or her irons, and what kind of irons they're playing. A person probably expects less distance loss on poor shots with forgiving irons because that's in part what they're supposed to do, penalize you less. But probably expects more distance loss on poor shots with less forgiving irons, since of course forgiveness isn't an aspect in the design of those clubs that they're interested in or require.

[quote name='bg1' timestamp='1304262491' post='3199621']
Beautiful review! I just played yesterday with the Razr X Tours. DG S300 was too stiff for me but we will switch them out with the DG R300 and they should be awesome. I can't afford to give up the 10 yards it seemed the S300s cost me.
[/quote]

I can almost guaranty, not even knowing your swing, but just based on what you said, that you'll see about 10 (or more) yards of distance with the DG R300.

And thanks for your post because it illustrates one reason why I did the review as a comparative review.

When you got the RAZR X Tours, you probably weren't expecting them to be a bit shorter and lower than you like. But comparatively speaking (as explained in the review, and based in part on objective design features, and numbers attained in simulator sessions), they have a generally lower flight (in particular with the short irons) than the RAZR X Forged, and Diablo Forged irons. And of course, that might be good for someone (with more club head speed), but not good for someone else (with less club head speed).

So knowing how these irons compare relative to one another (with shaft held constant), you have different options to attain the same ultimate result of more distance you want. You can for example, go to the Diablo Forged, which launch higher and spin more than the RAZR X Tour (with shaft held constant). Or stick with the RAZR X Tour, and go with a different shaft (say the DG R300, or another shaft that also gives you more spin and launch). Either way, YOUR DISTANCE is maximized, and you get to decide how you want to get there based on the comparative review.

Thanks for sharing bg1. :yess:

Any perspective that you might be able to share regarding how they comapre to the X-20 Tour or 09 X-forged?

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1304279557' post='3200129']
[/quote]

I can almost guaranty, not even knowing your swing, but just based on what you said, that you'll see about 10 (or more) yards of distance with the DG R300.

And thanks for your post because it illustrates one reason why I did the review as a comparative review.

When you got the RAZR X Tours, you probably weren't expecting them to be a bit shorter and lower than you like. But comparatively speaking (as explained in the review, and based in part on objective design features, and numbers attained in simulator sessions), they have a generally lower flight (in particular with the short irons) than the RAZR X Forged, and Diablo Forged irons. And of course, that might be good for someone (with more club head speed), but not good for someone else (with less club head speed).

So knowing how these irons compare relative to one another (with shaft held constant), you have different options to attain the same ultimate result of more distance you want. You can for example, go to the Diablo Forged, which launch higher and spin more than the RAZR X Tour (with shaft held constant). Or stick with the RAZR X Tour, and go with a different shaft (say the DG R300, or another shaft that also gives you more spin and launch). Either way, YOUR DISTANCE is maximized, and you get to decide how you want to get there based on the comparative review.

[/quote]

[quote name='1toGolf' timestamp='1304289835' post='3200474']
Any perspective that you might be able to share regarding how they comapre to the X-20 Tour or 09 X-forged?

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1304279557' post='3200129']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I played the X20 Tour and to this day it remains one of the iron sets I remember as a favorite. It is funny you ask as I said to my wife that these really remind me closely to them. It would be hard to compare directly because I used the PX flighted in the X20 Tours and the shafts are so different. I think the Razr X Tours show an equal amount of forgiveness and with the DG in it seem to have slightly better accuracy. I've been playing S flex light weight shafts for so long due to a hard transition that I underestimated the DGs ability to handle transition an therefore went to stiff. No doubt though that the DG works in this club.

Cobra Fly Z+ Driver
Cobra Fly Z Faiway
TM Aero Burner Hybrid
TM RSi1 4-AW Irons
TM Tour Preferred ATV 56*
SC Fastback 1.5

[quote name='1toGolf' timestamp='1304289835' post='3200474']
Any perspective that you might be able to share regarding how they comapre to the X-20 Tour or 09 X-forged?[/quote]
Hi 1toGolf, I'm not sure if you were asking me or bg1 this question. It looks like bg1 gave you a nice answer. As for myself, I can only speculate based on what I've read and heard about the X-20 Tour and X Forged 09 irons. I didn't play either of them. The recent Callaway irons I've played are the FT irons, the X-22 irons, the X-24 Hot irons, and of course the three irons in this review, the Diablo Forged, RAZR X Tour, and RAZR X Forged irons. I know there are also others who've posted in this thread (golfdad907) who own the X Forged 09, but I'm not sure if they've played the RAZR X Tours yet to compare.

Impressive. I was finally able to demo the Razr X Forged outdoors this past weekend, and I agree with your assessment. The feel is OH so soft on these. Would you say that overall, you maybe lose 1/2 club in distance going from the Diablo Forged to the Razr X Forged? Or is the loss neglible?

Reason being is that I was hitting the 09 Burner irons before I made the switch to the Diablo Forged, and for me, I never lost a step as far as distance was concerned, not ease of use, but gained a TON more in feel and looks.

Any thoughts on the two? Also, just to throw this out there as well, but do you have any experience with the 09 X Forged??

Thx again!