2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2011 - 2012 CALLAWAY GOLF IRONS SHOOTOUT REVIEW

Tours were much more easy on the eye to look at address and when they're sitting in the bag. The feel off the face felt a good deal more solid and forgey than the regular Razrs. Forgiveness wide I can't comment on much because I was striping the ball the day I demoed them and didn't notice much of a difference between them.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='McMulligan' timestamp='1307265897' post='3285639']
Hey GreekGrind! Great review about the different callaway forged irons! I got my Diablo Forged Irons this weekend and i am still asking myselft why the PW and SW have a full insert? Can you explain it? better playablility? better sweetspot? better feel? :-)
Thx, McMulliagn
[/quote]

McMulligan thanks for the compliments, and nice to hear you got yourself some Diablo Forged irons. Good choice! :good:

When you say full insert, are you talking about the cavity? The irons are undercut cavity for forgiveness, but in the wedges, control is at a greater premium than forgiveness. So that's why you see the cavity design different in those, to help hit those knock down, controlled wedge shots. Or are you talking about the carpenter steel face? If so I'd imagine they'd want to keep the face the same throughout the set for consistency and feel.

Be sure to tell us how you your first few rounds with them go. McMulligan + Diablo Forged = McMoney! :)

[quote name='DevilGolfer' timestamp='1307365928' post='3287590']
Tours were much more easy on the eye to look at address and when they're sitting in the bag. The feel off the face felt a good deal more solid and forgey than the regular Razrs. Forgiveness wide I can't comment on much because I was striping the ball the day I demoed them and didn't notice much of a difference between them.
[/quote]

How can you not be playing the :diablo: Diablo Forged irons with the name DevilGolfer? :D

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1307366365' post='3287603']
Hey GreekGrind! Great review about the different callaway forged irons! I got my Diablo Forged Irons this weekend and i am still asking myselft why the PW and SW have a full insert? Can you explain it? better playablility? better sweetspot? better feel? :-)
Thx, McMulliagn
[/quote]

McMulligan thanks for the compliments, and nice to hear you got yourself some Diablo Forged irons. Good choice! :good:

When you say full insert, are you talking about the cavity? The irons are undercut cavity for forgiveness, but in the wedges, control is at a greater premium than forgiveness. So that's why you see the cavity design different in those, to help hit those knock down, controlled wedge shots. Or are you talking about the carpenter steel face? If so I'd imagine they'd want to keep the face the same throughout the set for consistency and feel.

Be sure to tell us how you your first few rounds with them go. McMulligan + Diablo Forged = McMoney! :)
[/quote]

Hi GreekGrind!

Sorry, yes i talked about the cavity-"insert" in the PW and SW. Thanks for your answer! This make a lot of sence :-) ! I play with Mizuno Wedges but looking forward to hit the new "Diablo Forged" PW. I had only the time to "hit" (or better "shape") some balls at the D-Range with the 8, 6 and 4 Demo-Irons. What a nice touch! Great soft feel when hitting the sweetspot not only once in 20 shots (for example with the AP2s) --> repeatable! And i like the Uniflex Nippon 1100 Steel shafts (have the "european version")! Do you know how much the weight is? > 90g? I will write an review avout my first round with the new irons...

Greetings, McMulligan

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1307426710' post='3289295']
[quote name='DevilGolfer' timestamp='1307365928' post='3287590']
[/quote]

How can you not be playing the :diablo: Diablo Forged irons with the name DevilGolfer? :D
[/quote]
:partytime2:

[quote name='McMulligan' timestamp='1307447787' post='3289499']
[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1307366365' post='3287603']
Thx, McMulliagn
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi GreekGrind!

Sorry, yes i talked about the cavity-"insert" in the PW and SW. Thanks for your answer! This make a lot of sence :-) ! I play with Mizuno Wedges but looking forward to hit the new "Diablo Forged" PW. I had only the time to "hit" (or better "shape") some balls at the D-Range with the 8, 6 and 4 Demo-Irons. What a nice touch! Great soft feel when hitting the sweetspot not only once in 20 shots (for example with the AP2s) --> repeatable! And i like the Uniflex Nippon 1100 Steel shafts (have the "european version")! Do you know how much the weight is? > 90g? I will write an review avout my first round with the new irons...

Greetings, McMulligan
[/quote]

Greetings McMulligan, the shaft is the Nippon NS PRO 1100GH and that model is made exclusively for Callaway. They're most similar to the Nippon NS PRO 1050 (as the Nippon NS PRO 990GH made for Callaway is most similar to the Nippon NS PRO 950). And yes the 1100's weigh in at 110 grams, the 990s weigh in at 99 grams.

And great to hear you hit the Diablo Forged so well in range sessions. Repeatable sweet spot is nice! :good: And certainly looking forward to hearing about your first round with them. If you transfer your success on the range to the course, you might be knocking some serious strokes off your game. :D

Good luck and keep up posted!

McMulligan sent me a PM and I have to share it. Well done friend! And by the way all is great, no worries! :good: Here's a nice picture review of Mc's new Diablo Forged irons! http://fit4golf.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/eisentest-callaway-diablo-forged-photos/

So go ahead and post yourself next time. It's great. And keep up the good work. Or should I say, Nicht nachlassen! :) Now how about a narrative describing how they play for you!

Diablo Forged irons baby! Putting smiles on people's faces from the USA to Germany! :D

Thx Greekgrind! No problem. Its always a pleasure! I hope all of you will enjoy my small picture review of the Diablo Forged irons. Any comments are welcome. Don`t hesitate to contact me if you are interessted in more photos like on "course photos". After a lot of practice balls at the d-range i played today my first tournament with the new irons. And *[b]boooom[/b]* :diablo: ... new own front 9 holes record, thx to a solid "ball hitting" during the total round. Some slightly misshits, but no trouble overall. Its clear for me, that this depends on my own playingabilities, but if my misshits are only that kind bad with nearly no loss of yardage, i am looking forward my next tournament tomorrow morning! I "love" my new DF irons! More flight control, better touch, straighter balls.

@Greekgrind: "Danke ich werde nicht nachlassen!" :rockon:

Have fun!
McMulligan

Many thanks to TheGreekGrind & McMulligan for their reviews+ input on the Diablo Forged irons.They've been on my mind ever since i've read this post & decided to do something about it today.I've been through too many iron sets already & want to stick with onefor consistancy.I loved the mp63's when my swing is on,the r9tp's were Ok-I need something that's in the middle of the 2.I put both of my sets on the bay today & ordered the European Diablo Forged 4-PW,SW @$$$$ -a great deal @ CPO+ Free 2 day air shipping.Now i can't wait until Thursday :diablo::diablo::smilie_cally:

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

[quote name='McMulligan' timestamp='1307748092' post='3299080']
After a lot of practice balls at the d-range i played today my first tournament with the new irons. And *[b]boooom[/b]* :diablo: ... new own front 9 holes record, thx to a solid "ball hitting" during the total round.

I "love" my new DF irons! More flight control, better touch, straighter balls.

@Greekgrind: "Danke ich werde nicht nachlassen!" :rockon:

Have fun!
McMulligan
[/quote]

Congratulations on your new record McMulligan! :clapping: Really glad to hear they're working out so well for you. :good:

[quote name='tinman' timestamp='1308099633' post='3307914']
Many thanks to TheGreekGrind & McMulligan for their reviews+ input on the Diablo Forged irons.They've been on my mind ever since i've read this post & decided to do something about it today.I've been through too many iron sets already & want to stick with onefor consistancy.I loved the mp63's when my swing is on,the r9tp's were Ok-I need something that's in the middle of the 2.I put both of my sets on the bay today & ordered the European Diablo Forged 4-PW,SW @$$$$ -a great deal @ CPO+ Free 2 day air shipping.Now i can't wait until Thursday :diablo::diablo::smilie_cally:
[/quote]

Is it Thursday yet tinman? :D Haha, you're going to love your new Diablo Forged irons. Sounds like you knew what you were looking for, and were leaning towards the DF but just needed a little nudge. :hi: Great to hear you got a deal at CPO too!

Also in case you don't know, the bounce is slightly different in the U.S version and the European version (European version has basically 2 to 3 degrees more bounce for any given iron, but both versions being relatively low bounce, I doubt the difference will affect playability, or even be noticeable).

The European Version:
Club - Bounce
3 iron - 3 degrees
4 iron - 4 degrees
5 iron - 5 degrees
6 iron - 6 degrees
7 iron - 7 degrees
8 iron - 8 degrees
9 iron - 9 degrees
PWedge - 10 degrees

The US Version:
Club - Bounce
3 iron - 1 degrees
4 iron - 1 degrees
5 iron - 2 degrees
6 iron - 3 degrees
7 iron - 4 degrees
8 iron - 5 degrees
9 iron - 6 degrees
PWedge - 8 degrees

After you get them and put them in play, it'll be great to hear your first impressions.

I'm guessing it'll be something like :yahoo:

I wish it was Thursday already,because i have no irons to play now!!!!!The guy(Brian M.) @ Cally P.O. told me that they're the exact same head;except for the graphics.I did ask him about the bounce & he stated that there's a 1* difference & it's not noticeable in play.

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4

[quote name='tinman' timestamp='1308138669' post='3308791']
I wish it was Thursday already,because i have no irons to play now!!!!!The guy(Brian M.) @ Cally P.O. told me that they're the exact same head;except for the graphics.I did ask him about the bounce & he stated that there's a 1* difference & it's not noticeable in play.
[/quote]

Hey tinman, here is a link to the Diablo Forged European Version bounce. I think the rep made an inadvertant mistake. http://www.callawaygolf.com/Global/en-GB/Products/ClassicProducts/BigBerthaDiabloIrons.html

But as mentioned, since the U.S and Euro versions are both basically low bounce, the difference really won't be significant.

Thursday will be here soon enough. :)

[quote name='Sarnia' timestamp='1304201447' post='3198451']
Fantastic review! I've been looking for opinions and reviews on the Razr X-Tours but there isn't much around.

I've just come back to golf after 2 1/2 years off and currently play TM R7 Tp's with 5.5 Rifle flighted shafts . They don't work for me anymore because they're 2 degrees flat from my one plane swing days pre-quitting, which is a method i've abandoned.

Callaway did a fitting at my local course on 1st April (no joke) and I got fitted with Razr X-Tours with 5.5 PX flighted shafts. Unfortunately the clubs haven't turned up yet over 4 weeks later. Apparently Callaway in the UK don't have a 6 iron...they've agreed to send me the set minus the 6-iron next week. Not sure why they're out of 6-iron heads, weird!

The Pro at my local club lent me his demo set of Razr X-Tours today, so will give them a play tomorrow. They've got DG S300 shafts, which aren't my favourite, but will be good to give the clubs a go.

The course that I play on is a links, so a flat lie is a rare thing. Your reviews of how the irons play from different lies was very interesting. I've got to admit I didn't even think about that when I ordered them, but then again I've only been a member on this course for a couple of months so these interesting lies are new to me.

When I bought the R7 Tp's I was intending to buy the FT's, but they ballooned too much for me, so good to hear that the Razr X-Tours have a lower trajectory. Even when it's not very windy here it's still normally at least a club difference depending on direction, and a 145 yard par 3 can be anything between a Driver and wedge when it's blowing, so a higher, more spinning flight isn't good.

Thank's again for the great review, looking forward to reading more. I'll post how the Razr X-Tours compare to the R7 TP's and how they work for me from different lies and wind conditions once i've given them a go. :)
[/quote]About time for a belated update I guess :)

I had a golf trip to Spain booked for 8th May, so decided that was my cut-off time for the Razr X-Tours to arrive. They didn't make it, and I wasn't keen on the stock DG S300 shafts. The day before my trip I pretty much panic bought a set of Razr X-Forged because they had the PX5.5 shafts that the Callaway rep fitted me with, and on the range I hit them great.

I took them to Spain, which was a coaching camp, and played well with them. There was only 5 of us plus the coach, but the course was very tough. It's the winter training location for the top English and Swedish amateur teams. Despite having irons I'd never hit before I won the little fun competition we had, and played some really good shots with them.

Over the last month I've been up and down with them. I'm a streaky player, either hitting it great or all over the place. I did manage to win (off handicap) one of the main competitions at my home club two weeks ago with them though. The biggest problem is that the mid irons fly way too high, ballooning in the wind. I'm between one and two clubs shorter than my R7 TP's with mid-irons. The other issue is exactly as Greek said. Hit them off the toe and they're between one and two clubs short. Thin shots punish you too. For the type of irons that they are they are pretty forgiving, but there's a limit.

Due to reading this thread I decided to do an experiment. I found a set of new European spec Diablo Forged (4-PW) for a great price, standard specs with the stock Nippon uniflex shaft. Comparing them to my Razr Forged on the range, I thought I'd made a mistake. Hitting off mats they didn't feel nearly as good, with a strange sound and a harsher feel off the face. They also faded off to the right compared to straight with the Razr forged.

I debated whether to stick them on ebay while still pretty much new, but decided that I needed to try them on the course first.

The first hole was a bit of a write off due to a bad drive. The second hole after my drive I had around 160 yards to the pin, blind shot from a hollow with a sandy lie. Thought I hit it a bit left, but it was on the green with a 20ft put...not bad. Third hole is a par 3, 181 to the pin. The wind was around 15mph, right to left and in. This is my nightmare hole recently, the shanks have returned, and there's a public beach down the right. I hit a 5 iron and ended up two feet from the pin...birdie. Hmmm...

The fourth, I had about 180 to the middle. A 5 iron put me there. The fifth I had 180 again, from the rough (sandy, scrubby lie). Left it about 15ft from the pin. I only played 12 holes before dark, but I only missed 4 greens, and none by more than 2 ft. Wow! Hitting approaches like that is a once or twice a year in the zone type experience...and I definately wasn't in the zone in that way.

The other thing that I loved was how great the Daiblo Forged felt on the course. Very powerful and smooth, totally different to how the felt on the range. I learnt the lesson that I'll never judge clubs purely by how they feel and perform on the range again. Club distances were as i'd expect, or slightly longer. Partly due to the strong lofts, but also due to the shafts I think.

With further testing i've found that I can draw them too much on the course (the complete opposite of the range funnily enough). I have a very fast tempo and transition, with a 6-iron swing speed between 85 and 90 mph. I think that a stiffer shaft would improve them even more. I vacation in Orlando at least twice a year, so decided to get a second set for there. I've ordered a set of 3-PW as new Diablo Forged (US spec) with NS-Pro 1100 stiff shafts from Callaway Pre-Owned in the US, along with a US spec uniflex 3-iron to add to my existing set. Greek, do you know anything about those shafts? From what I can see Nippon only supply Callaway with uniflex shafts, but I'd be suprised if CPO made a mistake as they have a range of uniflex or stiff NS-Pro 1100 shafts listed.

Over the next couple of months I'll figure out which shafts and bounce suit me best on my home course, and the second set will go to Orlando. The Razr Forged are great clubs, but a bit beyond my consistency level, so they are up for sale.

Hey Sarnia, first of all welcome home, and sounds like an awesome trip to Spain. Any pics to share? What course(s) in Spain did you play? Really, sounds super.

I laughed out loud when I read about your RAZR X Forged irons "panic purchase", but it turns out maybe from that you got a fresh perspective on the Diablo Forged irons, you might not have had (or even tried) for that matter. The RXFs aren't for everyone for the reasons discussed, and you found out, but I think you're going to continue to be happy with the DFs, especially since it seems you're first experience with them was a very good one.

I shot you a more detailed PM about the shafts. But depending on who you ask at Callaway, some will tell you they're true uniflex, while others will tell you they're stiff. I'm guessing here now, but perhaps normal installation maybe gets designated uniflex, while hard stepping a bit maybe gets them the stiff designation. For what it's worth, I've hit Nippon stiff, and Nippon uniflex, and cannot tell the difference in terms of flight or feel.

There is 2 to 3 degrees more bounce for any given iron in the European Diablo Forged irons (compared to the U.S version), but as mentioned, that too is hard to distinguish. And if you can tell me you notice a difference in playability between your US DF 3 iron at 1 degree bounce, and the Euro 3 iron with 3 degrees bounce? I'm not sure even Roger Cleveland can do that. Haha.

Thanks for that very well written and illustrative update. I envisioned some of those shots and enjoyed reading it quite a bit. And keep the updates coming. I'm a bit biased towards the DFs of course, as they remain my favorites (and most dependable) of all the irons. :)

I got my Euro Diablo Forged today & they look amazing/like new too.I can't wait to hit them tomarrow-great looking irons.The Nippons feel really nice also.Callaway Pre-Owned never dissapoints me in every purchase.Thanks again for this thread or I would never had thought about trying these irons.

Just some more findings as I hit my diablo forgeds a few more times:

I am currently trying to work through some swing issues, but when I am back to hitting the ball well these irons flat out perform for me. The one thing that really is important to me with them is the forgiveness. It is so nice to have a "players" CB type club that allows you the forgiveness when your swing is not always on track. I started playing with big bertha 2006 irons, and these DF's nearly have the same amount of forgiveness in them IMO. Obviously that is subjective to some people, but I am of the party that the game is hard enough why make it harder? Dumbing it down is the best way for me. Obviously some like different things in their irons, no the DF are not the thinnest, most pure, bladelike, (insert adjective here) but heres the thing, they work! What I found looking around was that alot of players cbs tend to be nearly the same thing. For example I had some VR splits prior and I really did like them alot. But where Im at right now I wanted a little more forgiveness and to try something different. I looked at the CB1s and almost made a deal with them, when I realized I would simply be receiving the same thing as the nikes. I thought to try and find a club that provides more forgiveness while in the same category. Enter DF. They give you most of the benefits of a players cb while having the forgiveness there just in case. How can you beat that? Again, they may not be as nimble as my VRs I had, but they arent trying to be and I dont need them to be. As I continue to learn and get more comfortable with these (* and yardage differences) I will be able to do all that I could do with my prior irons. I love these things and I really think these are the kind of clubs that you can stick with for a long time as they give me just about everything I could ask for.

Hooray Callaway!

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

My set of DF's will be here today, can't wait to hit them. Have been playing CB2's for the last 4 months, but just had to try the DF's. I have heard they launch higher, which with the CB2's I had to add more lead tape than I would like to get more CG lower, which helped some, but didn't get the launch where I wanted it. Feel and performance I couldn't argue I played some good rounds with the CB2's, but wanted to try and the DF's and if I don't like them I will look at the CB2's again with different shafts (hate that the CB2's have the .370 tip!).

[quote name='tinman' timestamp='1308264449' post='3312805']
I got my Euro Diablo Forged today & they look amazing/like new too.I can't wait to hit them tomarrow-great looking irons.The Nippons feel really nice also.Callaway Pre-Owned never dissapoints me in every purchase.Thanks again for this thread or I would never had thought about trying these irons.
[/quote]
Glad this thread helped you in your decision tinman. Nice choice! :good:

Let us know how it goes after you take them out on the course.
Diablo Forged baby! :diablo:

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1308318481' post='3314117']As I continue to learn and get more comfortable with these (* and yardage differences) I will be able to do all that I could do with my prior irons. I love these things and I really think these are the kind of clubs that you can stick with for a long time as they give me just about everything I could ask for.

Hooray Callaway!
[/quote]
Hooray bubbagump! Haha. Thanks for that update and comparisons to the Nike VRs.
Sounds like your new Diablo Forged irons be your all time favorite irons. :smilie_cally:

[quote name='skyleralan' timestamp='1308321997' post='3314264']
My set of DF's will be here today, can't wait to hit them.[/quote]
:clapping: Have fun with them skyler!

Lots of love for the Diablo Forged irons in here. I have heard nothing but great things about those particular irons but as a lefty, a bit disappointed that they were never available. As for me, been digging my RXT's for the better part of a month now. Very good iron, very solid at impact and much more forgiving than many other "tour" irons I've hit.

[quote name='tcalloway1' timestamp='1308366280' post='3315930']
Lots of love for the Diablo Forged irons in here. I have heard nothing but great things about those particular irons but as a lefty, a bit disappointed that they were never available. As for me, been digging my RXT's for the better part of a month now. Very good iron, very solid at impact and much more forgiving than many other "tour" irons I've hit.
[/quote]
Dude you could hit a coke bottle taped to a tree stick and make it play. :tongue:

[quote name='TheFatTick' timestamp='1308444051' post='3317567']
Just ordered the Razr Tours with Aldila VS Proto 85 shafts. Will haxve them in about 10 days. Pretty psyched.

I'm all in with them. Trading in my x14s to help get them. Who knows, the wife may not even notice.
[/quote]
Couldn't resist anymore hmm TheFatTick? :yahoo: Congrats on your new RXTs. You're gonna love em.
And I'm guessing the most difficult thing you'll find about these irons is waiting for them to arrive. :D

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1308488413' post='3318407']
[quote name='tcalloway1' timestamp='1308366280' post='3315930']
[/quote]
Dude you could hit a coke bottle taped to a tree stick and make it play. :tongue:

[quote name='TheFatTick' timestamp='1308444051' post='3317567']
Just ordered the Razr Tours with Aldila VS Proto 85 shafts. Will haxve them in about 10 days. Pretty psyched.

I'm all in with them. Trading in my x14s to help get them. Who knows, the wife may not even notice.
[/quote]

Thanks for all of the help and kind words. Really helped me out during this process.

And waiting is going to be VERY difficult. Actually spent the morning on the driving range hitting the demo club. Really anxious to hit the set fit for me.
Couldn't resist anymore hmm TheFatTick? :yahoo: Congrats on your new RXTs. You're gonna love em.
And I'm guessing the most difficult thing you'll find about these irons is waiting for them to arrive. :D
[/quote]

[quote name='TheFatTick' timestamp='1308498085' post='3318664']
Thanks for all of the help and kind words. Really helped me out during this process.

And waiting is going to be VERY difficult. Actually spent the morning on the driving range hitting the demo club. Really anxious to hit the set fit for me. [/quote]

No problem TFT :hi:
... 9 more days :D

[u]Review: (Coming from Adams CB2's)

[/u]I just got my set of 5-PW Diablo Forged that are 2 degree flat with the stock Nippon 1100 uniflex shafts for Callaway. At my local course, I am a scratch golfer (very short in length), at longer more "modern" course I am 5-7 Handicap. Driver swing speed 107-110, not sure of 6 or 7 iron swing speed.

[i][u]Feel:
[/u][/i]They are a forged club, but definitely don't have the same feel or make the same sound as a forged club at impact. The feel is mixed between a forged club and a soft cast club. In a way, they have their "own" feel. They do provide great feedback, which is important in regards to feeling the ball on the face and where you struck the shot. Overall, I am satsified with the feel and if you are upset because they don't have a soft forged feel than you must have forgotten to read or understand how they were constructed (two piece construction). I went into these irons understanding they won't feel like a Mizuno, Adams, etc. (add any forged iron manufacturer here).

[i][u]Appearance:
[/u][/i]Again, they have their own individual profile. They have the short face length/profile of a blade, but definitely have a thicker topline and sole than The Adams CB2's I have played or the Titleist AP2's, which are more of a traditional blade. It all comes back to your expectations, which I mentioned in the feel category. Are they going to look like a traditional blade, no, but that wasn't why Callaway made these irons. They wanted to make an iron with a blade-like profile at address that performed more like a game improvement club without the harsh feel of casting, the super thick topline or sole, and the extreme offset which can be found in several GI/SGI irons. Overall, I like the profile of a blade and this club meets my expectations and requirements when I set the iron down. It still has good lines and frames the ball nicely (not too thick nor too thin where I don't have confidence over the iron). I won't discuss the badges or cavity section, which I believe does leave a lot to be desired (I like the Diablo emblem in satin on the cavity, but not the badge).

[i][u]Performance:[/u][/i]
I hit these irons and have read every review/post associated with these irons on just about every golf related site. If it wasn't for the price, I would have tried these irons much, much earlier. I am not going to even mention the jacked up lofts, etc. that many bring up when they discuss distance associated with these irons. I guess this all comes from the "traditional" players, but like the 460cc driver head, just about every manufacturer of forged player or cast clubs has made just about every set of irons stronger in loft. When I originally got the Adams CB2's I gained about 5 yards over my previous sets (Ping Raptures and Mizuno Mx-300's). I loved the feel of the CB2's and shot some very good rounds, but with the KBS shafts and the head design I just couldn't launch them as high as I would have liked, they also had the .370 parallel tips, which makes finding desired shafts harder. OK, back to the DF's compared directly to the CB2's these irons exploded off the face launched higher and added 5 yards to my iron distances when I was hitting the CB2's (that could again be all related to the shafts). I will say this, I can't believe the amount of spin I am getting from these irons. I did switch back to the Pro-V1 instead of the Callaway IX, which I know will add more spin, but I was backing up 8-PW and stopping the rest of the irons on a dime. The groups I played with both Saturday and Sunday kept asking what irons I was hitting. I just never got the kind of bite and stop from the CB2's that I am getting with the DF's, which again, can be related to the shafts and grooves (can't remember if the DF's have conforming or nonconforming). Overall, I am very impressed and just love hitting these irons. They have good forgiveness, but you can still feel your misses. Also, I have not found any issue as far as distance control or workability. I can do what I want to do when I put the proper swing on the iron. For instance, if I double cross my fade I am trying to hit I obviously won't hit a fade, BUT when I swing correctly I can flight the ball, hit draws, fades, etc.

I am a believer and have went from almost an all Adams bag to almost an all Callaway bag (FT Tour driver, Cleveland TI 3, Mizuno MP ti 5, Callaway 4 Heavenwood, 5-Pw Diablo Forged, and my assortment of wedges that I put in play, Odyssey #9 putter.

I haven't played a single set of Callaway irons in my life time and haven't game a Callaway driver in more than 5 years. These are a great set of irons that fit perfectly into that niche of players who want a players iron, but want more forgiveness without sacraficing performance.

Well, now I am even more confused. I have decided I am going to get a set of the RXTs, but not sure of what shafts to get. I went to two different stores and have the Mizuno shaft optimizer analysis. First place I went to said I was a solid DG R300. I always played my irons stiff but thought will I am older, maybe regular flex is the way to go. Then I went to another store which actually spent more time with me, and the computer says: GS 95 S300 (103 gram shaft) or a NS Pro 950 ST (100 g). I did like the feel of the lighter shafts, and the launch monitor numbers were better with the lighter shafts. However, I don't think either shaft is readily available from Callaway. Based on those latter recommendations, any thoughts on which of the Callaway shafts would fit me best. BTW, my fitting numbers were 82,4,5,6,8. Thanks.

[quote name='skyleralan' timestamp='1308587039' post='3321314']
I haven't played a single set of Callaway irons in my life time and haven't game a Callaway driver in more than 5 years. These are a great set of irons that fit perfectly into that niche of players who want a players iron, but want more forgiveness without sacraficing performance.
[/quote]
Super review skyleralan and welcome to the Diablo Forged :diablo: irons fanclub!

[quote name='2muchclub' timestamp='1308595177' post='3321755']
Well, now I am even more confused. I have decided I am going to get a set of the RXTs, but not sure of what shafts to get.
[/quote]

2muchclub, first of all, congratulations on your decision to get the RAZR X Tour irons.
Great choice! :good:

And let me clear up that confusion, the shafts you're interested in are both available. :yes:

The GS95 is available (any flex). And the N.S Pro 950GH is as well (in regular flex). The Nippon N.S Pro 990GH is also an option. The 990GH is Nippon's made for Callaway version of their N.S Pro 950, and is nearly idential in terms of kick, launch, weight. But playing as a uniflex, it can be hit by both regular flex and stiff flex shaft users.

It looks like you have a smooth deliberate tempo, and a somewhat late release based on the optimizer numbers you mentioned. All these shafts will give you the kick and launch you need with a later release, and you'll probably see similar performance from them all. So I'd say just go with the one that feels best as a deciding factor.

Good Luck, and let us know what shaft you ultimately decide on with your new RXTs. :)

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1307319226' post='3286764']
[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1307108529' post='3281974']
This is one of the best reviews I've seen around here. Great information, great pics, and great comments. I agree that relative comparisons between the irons is the best way to go. Golf club selection in general, is so subjective, but I think most interested parties can take away a lot from your insight. Awesome work.

Btw, did you say what set you are currently playing with? Or at least, what your best performing set is? Just curious, thanks.
[/quote]

Hey Puppetmaster, glad you're liking the review. My favorite irons remain the Diablo Forged irons. But since I'm giving this an ongoing review, I'm switching between sets. I'm now playing the RAZR X Tour irons.

In fact, had the RXTs in play today at a course called Hemlock Spings. Three of the par 3s are 180ish, and I took a smooth 4 iron to the green on each one, and stuck them all for legitimate birdie shots. The RXT long irons are pretty easy to hit as far as long irons go.

Also had some nice short iron approach shots as well. Overall as I said at the beginning, the RXTs will probably appeal to the most players since they do the most things well. Though I still prefer the DFs as my favorite, no doubt all are great sets.
[/quote]

Thought I'd throw in some Razr forge updates. Lot of love for DF for sure and I haven't hit them so can't compare. I had a good range session strictly with irons yesterday as I was gaming the r9 tour b's I just got which are very nice but have played poorly lately not breaking 80 but once in last 6 rounds. Its got to be the arrow right?:))):rolleyes:

So want to give these a fair shot. I'm a 6 handicap and tend to go hard into the ball digging a bit. I haven't bought any new technology in my bag for about 8 yrs so this yr got the tour razr hawk for driver and now irons just for some background. Coming from RAC LT's 2003 irons and cobra driver 2006.

I used the 7 8 and 5 iron for the session and using 6.0 flighted PX shafts. By the way personally I think these clubs are just gorgeous look so good in the bag. I've never like Callaway clubs turned off from bertha and then big top line irons from way back so never looked at them. The forged do have a bit thick top line which has been discussed extensively but not so clunky effects the confidence.

These clubs have very little offset which is so very nice. No more worrying about the pull hook as so many clubs are offset quite a bit. The sole of this club is amazing the new camber and bounce are amazing for getting through the turf. I hit some shots I know I was steep and hit heavy but the club dug through and I ended up not losing much distance. I was shocked to see how ball flew after not best swing. These are definitely digger delights!

Started out with 8 iron and ball flight was very boring bit lower than other clubs but that's a good thing. Shots were quite straight and notice my draw was gone as shots just bee lined to target. That was very interesting as have to get used to no offset as I was setting up with neutral stance. Did start to play around with setup and boy you can really work the ball if you want to. I'm not one that typically does that much as no confidence there but I'll be practicing that more so I can take it to course as these clubs can perform.

The clubs have a nice soft feel and great feedback. The distance I was impressed but on a range hard to tell but felt like I was about 1/2 to 3/4 longer than my other irons as I'd hit same club and come short of the target I was going at yesterday.

7 iron had similiar impressions ball just seemed to stay in the air a long time with these clubs. Did I say how much I liked the boring flight? Very very nice trajectory little lower as expected and same turf interaction as some of my steep swings sent ball higher as it rode up face but still carried good distance.

I believe these have a flighted center of gravity so head sort of flights the ball for you as long irons CG is lower to get ball higher and vice versa. I was a bit concerened with flighted rifles interacting with this but they performed well.

5 iron was very interesting. It was very long and ball flight a bit lower than used to and curious to see how they'll hold greends. Ball came off like a shot with a little draw as felt easier to release the longer club. It was all over the target when I was aligned right. Alignment is my big bugaboo.

I'm gaming these today so will give a report back on how they do on course but these are some excellent clubs wonderful soft feel and fairly forgiving. Didn't have a lot of toe shots so will see how that holds up.

Hope this helps and love feedback