2011 - 2012 CALLAWAY GOLF IRONS SHOOTOUT REVIEW

[quote name='sscott43' timestamp='1311004186' post='3401156']
That does help a lot, thanks so much, Greek. I may head to the Callaway fitting studio here on the South Side of Chicago but wanted to have an idea of what I might be looking for. Everyone does seem to give high marks to the Diablo Forged so I might have to give those a shot as well.
[/quote]
No problem sscott43. And yes by all means hit those Diablo Forged as well if you're going to the Cally fitting studio. Certainly can't hurt, and you might come away surprised to like an iron you didn't even have on your radar. :diablo: Really interested to hear how your fitting goes and what direction you take. Let us know when you do. Good luck!

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to give the DF's some time before posting any statements about them.I haven't played since 9 days ago,because of my work schedule & was a little nervous playing today.I played a par 3 course so that i could work the irons & see how they performed.These irons really impressed me with the forgiveness that they have & i love the feel.I bought mine with the stock Cally Nippons & they seem to work quite well for my swing.I have no problem hitting the low irons nice & high+ land softly on the green.I shot an even par round today;which is very good for me-my best ever on this course!!!The Diablo Forged are definitely keepers-Thanks to The GreekGrind for getting the word out about these irons!!!!!

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

[quote name='tinman' timestamp='1311529071' post='3419162']
I wanted to give the DF's some time before posting any statements about them.I haven't played since 9 days ago,because of my work schedule & was a little nervous playing today.I played a par 3 course so that i could work the irons & see how they performed.These irons really impressed me with the forgiveness that they have & i love the feel.I bought mine with the stock Cally Nippons & they seem to work quite well for my swing.I have no problem hitting the low irons nice & high+ land softly on the green.I shot an even par round today;which is very good for me-my best ever on this course!!!The Diablo Forged are definitely keepers-Thanks to The GreekGrind for getting the word out about these irons!!!!!
[/quote]
:hi: My pleasure tinman, glad I could help.

I agree the Diablo Forged :diablo: irons are awesome, but you better give yourself some credit too my humble friend. While shooting even par may be attributable in part to the DFs, it's also at least as much attributable to you putting good swings on the ball and taking advantage of what the DFs do well.

Nice job tinman. :aikido:

DMR sent me this message last week, and told me he doesn't mind me sharing it. Good stuff D. :good:

[quote name='DMR2112' timestamp='1311039526']The Razr X tours are awesome. Great clubs, great feel and at least Half a club longer than what I've previously played. Amazing, I'm longer at 40 than I was at 25!!!!!!!!!! Golf ball is soo good these days. I had a 75 the other day and really didn't hit it close to the hole at all. Lots of 2 putts. Only birdie was on a par 5 538 yards where I went Driver 8-iron. And was long!! Reloaded and hit a 9 pin high. I hope I carry some of this distance when the ground is softer and weather is cooler but for now, I AIN'T COMPLAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for all your help and conversation. Game is coming around again this year and hope to keep it that way. And Callaway certainly hasn't hurt the progress :clapping:
[/quote]

great reviews

Ping G425 Max Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S

Ping G425 3W Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Ping G425 3H, 4H Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80S

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW KBS C-Taper Lite S 

Taylormade Milled Grind 3 56* 

Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 60*

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H3 Stability Tour Black Shaft

Srixon Z-Star Yellow

Ping DLX Cart Bag

Amazing review!

Thank you for all your time and details, it was a great read.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I finally received my X tours and have played 3 rounds and about 2 range sessions with them. These irons are longer, higher and straighter than ANY irons Ive previously played. I have only one complaint with these irons and that is the lack of ability to fade the ball. I hit a natural draw and can bring it left if needed but i really struggle trying to hit a left to right shot. I can hit it high and low with no problem. I also want to say that with these irons i didnt need alot of rounds to adjust to them. The only thing i had to adjust to was increased distance and straight ball flight since i have always played a draw.

I came from 09 X forged and the feel is similiar on well struck shots.

Overall I love these clubs and the forgiveness they offer.

Kevin

wanted to give another quick update to the razr forged blades. Now gotten about 10 rounds with them and can safely say best clubs ever played. When first started distance was about the same then noticed I was about half club longer now I'm full club longer than my Rac lt's. Length really wasn't goal but nice hitting 8 from 160 in now. The ball flight on these clubs continues to be perfect but mostly how the ball stays on line so well. Playing draws and fades much easier and whats really got me going lower now. Shooting mid to upper 70's consistently. The clubs rarely over cook with no offset giving more confidence to hit shot. What I've really noticed lately that I didn't before is how flighting a ball is so good. I mean it's much easier to hit low hooks or fades with these clubs they stay really on line and don't have to over compensate to do it. The flighted CG is a real big benefit. The other area I've been very impressed with is the how this club really performs witht he turf. If in the rough it really cuts through the grass allowing you to get good if not great results. I was in the worse lie of my life 6 inches deep bermuda where my buddies are betting me I can't get it to the fairway 40 yds ahead. I took a 9 iron and made a good swing and hit it about 130 yds. Everyones jaw dropped. It cut through that grass so well that's when I knew I had some special clubs.

It takes time getting used to a new set but once dialed in I just can't imagine playing another club.

Hope this helps and keep swinging all.

[quote name='typhoonoid' timestamp='1311748957' post='3427766']
great reviews
[/quote]
Glad you're enjoying them typhoonoid. :)

[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1311884278' post='3432160']
Amazing review!

Thank you for all your time and details, it was a great read.
[/quote]

Thanks G-Bone. :hi:

[quote name='reed999' timestamp='1311969224' post='3434217']
I finally received my X tours and have played 3 rounds and about 2 range sessions with them. These irons are longer, higher and straighter than ANY irons Ive previously played. I have only one complaint with these irons and that is the lack of ability to fade the ball. I hit a natural draw and can bring it left if needed but i really struggle trying to hit a left to right shot. I can hit it high and low with no problem. I also want to say that with these irons i didnt need alot of rounds to adjust to them. The only thing i had to adjust to was increased distance and straight ball flight since i have always played a draw.

I came from 09 X forged and the feel is similiar on well struck shots.

Overall I love these clubs and the forgiveness they offer.

Kevin
[/quote]

Kevin yeah you'll get that trade off between workability and forgiveness with the RAZR X Tour irons like we discussed before you purchased them. But as I predicted, you'd like them quite a bit. :D Interesting comment on the 09 X Forged and RXT feel. I didn't hit the 09, but commented early on how the RXT had a feel more similar to the RXF than the other Callaway cast irons I've hit in the past. Anway glad you're digging them man! :good:

[quote name='wburdett' timestamp='1312028200' post='3435663']
wanted to give another quick update to the razr forged blades. Now gotten about 10 rounds with them and can safely say best clubs ever played. When first started distance was about the same then noticed I was about half club longer now I'm full club longer than my Rac lt's. Length really wasn't goal but nice hitting 8 from 160 in now. The ball flight on these clubs continues to be perfect but mostly how the ball stays on line so well. Playing draws and fades much easier and whats really got me going lower now. Shooting mid to upper 70's consistently. The clubs rarely over cook with no offset giving more confidence to hit shot. What I've really noticed lately that I didn't before is how flighting a ball is so good. I mean it's much easier to hit low hooks or fades with these clubs they stay really on line and don't have to over compensate to do it. The flighted CG is a real big benefit. The other area I've been very impressed with is the how this club really performs witht he turf. If in the rough it really cuts through the grass allowing you to get good if not great results. I was in the worse lie of my life 6 inches deep bermuda where my buddies are betting me I can't get it to the fairway 40 yds ahead. I took a 9 iron and made a good swing and hit it about 130 yds. Everyones jaw dropped. It cut through that grass so well that's when I knew I had some special clubs.

It takes time getting used to a new set but once dialed in I just can't imagine playing another club.

Hope this helps and keep swinging all.
[/quote]

wb, win the club championship yet? :victory:

Thanks for that update on the RAZR X Forged irons. I know it will be helpful to many people. And it was a good read too. Shots like the kind you described are awesome to read about. Well done sir!

I think what all these recent comments also should point out again, is that this entire Callaway line has something for everyone, as mentioned many months ago. RAZR X Tour, RAZR X Forged, Diablo Forged, and even now the RAZR X Musclebacks, all have aspects about them that will appeal to, and benefit different players. I think this is Callaway's best iron line up since I've been playing their clubs.

It's been one heck of a summer for your game wb, keep it up buddy. :yess:

• 2 weeks later...

Great review!! Very informative. :smilie_cally::clapping:

I played the 07 x forged for 3+ years and loved them, great clubs, very forgiving while still providing a players cb profile and control. When I wanted to upgrade I went and hit the x protos, razr x forged and razr x mb. The Razr forged are good clubs, feel great and really do perform, just the topline is the thing that kept me.
I ended up buying 2-PW of the razr mbs, LOVE these clubs. Awesome feeling, great looking, and just flat out perform.
People need to realize Callaway has quality products!

[quote name='kg92lefty' timestamp='1313213859' post='3480136']

I played the 07 x forged for 3+ years and loved them, great clubs, very forgiving while still providing a players cb profile and control. When I wanted to upgrade I went and hit the x protos, razr x forged and razr x mb. The Razr forged are good clubs, feel great and really do perform, just the topline is the thing that kept me.
I ended up buying 2-PW of the razr mbs, LOVE these clubs. Awesome feeling, great looking, and just flat out perform.
[/quote]
Thanks kg, glad you liked it.

And since you brought them up, I thought I'd go into the other room and check on my babies. They're fine! Here are some pics. :)

[attachment=838972:08132011(001).jpg]

[attachment=838981:08132011(002).jpg]

[attachment=838982:08132011(003).jpg]

First batch of pictures are burst pictures taken by my friend on the 16th par 3 at Thunder Hill yesterday. I asked him to get up close and snap the picture when I yelled "NOW", which would have been just before impact. I'm one of the few people who doesn't mind noise or talking whatsoever while playing. The pictures wound up catching me into finish and then pulling the club back (ala Phil, haha I wish I know).

Anyway played a 9 iron (had my RAZR X Tour irons in the bag) set up to fade into the green, which was 133 out, but had a pin tucked low and less than 10 yards from water (water on all sides but the far right, so almost an island green). Easy safe shot is going long and right, but then you're left with a 60 plus foot putt. Harder shot is going right at it, but risking water left, below (and even getting wet long if you stay on the pin).

I watched/admired :) the flight as it tracked the pin, and it wound up about 5 feet just right of and pin high to the hole. And then knocked in a tricky slider right to left for birdie. And as it turns out, that was the closest to the hole shot contest winner at the course. :victory: It was for leagues only, and though I'm not in any league, the group ahead of me cheered and yelled wildly when my shot landed (conceding their excitement was in part alcohol related), and told me to go ahead and mark my name on the contest sign, which turned out to be the best.

[attachment=838983:08112011(024_1).jpg]
[attachment=838984:08112011(024_2).jpg]
[attachment=838985:08112011(024_3).jpg]
[attachment=838986:08112011(024_4).jpg]
[attachment=838987:08112011(024_5).jpg]
[attachment=838988:08112011(024_6).jpg]
[attachment=838989:08112011(009).jpg]
And my gameface pic, haha.

Below are burst pictures of my friend, who, notwithstanding this shot, played otherwise pretty well all day. And playing the good sport, taught me what "Sheitzig" means, as I was naturally curious after hearing him scream it, rather painfully, almost immediately after hitting the ball. LOL.

[attachment=838990:08112011(025_1).jpg]
[attachment=838991:08112011(025_2).jpg]
[attachment=838992:08112011(025_3).jpg]
[attachment=838993:08112011(025_4).jpg]

Just to mention a few more things quickly, though the Diablo Forged irons still remain "my" favorite irons (little longer and more forgiving in particular in the long irons), the RXTs flat out perform, from just about any lie, and are very forgiving for a "tour" iron. They probably would meet the demands and needs of most golfers.

Another shot, my favorite of the day, was just before, on 15.

I got in trouble off the tee, landing about 120 out, right of the green, sitting down in deep crab grass thick like rough, on a severe sidehill, downhill lie, in front of the cart path, with a pond immediately in front of me, and an away downsloping green with water behind it. No exaggeration. It was a shot begging to be shanked, soaked, smothered, skulled, or some combination thereof. :shok:

And I :censored2: black eye clobbered a 7 iron to about 8 feet.
:hi: Yeah baby!

Was there a little luck involved? Sure.
If you want to call luck a technology in the RAZR X Tour irons. :D

A frustrating two putt for par closed out that hole, but honestly that was probably my favorite shot of the year, and to my memory still now thinking about it, my best green in regulation shot in years. It was an absolutely crazy insane difficult lie.

I probably wouldn't be able hit that shot consistently, but the fact I knew what I wanted to do (and hoped I would do), and was able to do with these irons, is just another testimony to how good the RXT irons are.

As an aside, anyone who's played Thunder Hill will be disappointed to learn maintenance has (euphemistically speaking) fallen off, and while I don't want to say anything damning of the course until I see if they rectify things later in the season, I can say I was genuinely shocked to see the conditions the way they were.

In any event, just thought I'd post this brief update on the RXTs, and as I said many months ago, these are winners. I hit a lot of good shots with them yesterday, on a tough course (Golf Digest ranked 47th hardest in America), and a few shots (for me) I'd say were even great. I had no problem flighting them when I needed to, and hitting them from a variety of lies (yesterday both hard dry fairway and thick crabgrass rough) posed no problems at all. And as mentioned, they are pleasantly more forgiving than you'd expect for a "tour" iron. Just great clubs, really.

Hope everyone is enjoying their season. :good:

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1313223974' post='3480329']
[quote name='kg92lefty' timestamp='1313213859' post='3480136']

[/quote]
Thanks kg, glad you liked it.

And since you brought them up, I thought I'd go into the other room and check on my babies. They're fine! Here are some pics. :)

[attachment=838972:08132011(001).jpg]

[attachment=838981:08132011(002).jpg]

[attachment=838982:08132011(003).jpg]
[/quote]

Looks Awesome!! I love those irons. I dont know why it took me so long to get them, should have bought the protos when they came out..
We have very similar bags.
Same irons
Same wedges (I use 52/58 to make up for the 2)
Similar putter, I use pt82
And im on the fence about the RHT.

Another round in with the RAZR X Tour irons, and more of the same impressions. Long, straight, solid irons that most people would enjoy. With that said, I'm not sure any iron will knock out the Diablo Forged irons as my favorites. :diablo:

I'll be moving to either the Diablo Forged irons, RAZR X Forged irons, or the RAZR X Musclebacks for the next few weeks, as I'm constantly rotating clubs. But the RXTs are certainly great irons.

Below just a few pictures. One is a driver picture. My RAZR Hawk Tour. Open stance pull hook on hole 9 at Hemlock Springs. Dogleg left, tried to cut the corner over out of bounds. Hit some good drives (275 yards) on the day, and made it over the dogleg on this shot, but fell a little short (left with a little 4 o'clock 8 o'clock chip) of the green at 350 the regular route. The open stance has been an experiment throughout the entire bag, but I'm unsure if I'll stick with it or return to a more conventional set up.

[attachment=842486:08172011(010_2).jpg]

And then below a set of delivery, impact, finish pictures on a short par 3, 165. I'm laughing at impact as you might be able to tell, as my partner said something that made me laugh really hard. Anyway, didn't mean to this time, but also pull hooked it (7 iron), pin high, but missed the green about 10 feet.

[attachment=842483:delivery.jpg]
[attachment=842484:impact.jpg]
[attachment=842485:finish.jpg]

Will post some more pictures and impressions down the road with the next set of irons I rotate though, especially when I play the same courses, and focus on particular holes.

***** Joe from this forum just told me it's 270 to cut the dogleg on hole 9. Joe also walked out of Hemlock with a 3 over 75 on his round. Booo!!! Haha.

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1313708647' post='3500375']

***** Joe from this forum just told me it's 270 to cut the dogleg on hole 9. Joe also walked out of Hemlock with a 3 over 75 on his round. Booo!!! Haha.
[/quote]

And I hit a TM Rescue Mid and was 25 yards short!

I also shot that 75 with Nickent 3dx Pro irons, maybe you should get rid of those Callaway's and get some real irons!!!!!!! :cheesy:

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1313971486' post='3507939']
And I hit a TM Rescue Mid and was 25 yards short!

I also shot that 75 with Nickent 3dx Pro irons, maybe you should get rid of those Callaway's and get some real irons!!!!!!! :cheesy:
[/quote]

Haha, really I'd wager money if you were playing Callaway irons instead, that 75 would have been more like a 69, maybe a 68? And looking to break 70 on a regular basis, any of these irons will help get you there.

On the other hand, if you started playing Callaway irons, I might not be able to call you my TaylorMade arch nemesis. :D

This will be my last update in awhile as they're all becoming so similar, haha. Again playing the RAZR X Tour irons today. They're long, they're somewhat forgiving, and they're straight. Best iron shot of the day was an uphill approach from 195, and I absolutely stuck my 3 iron 6 feet past the pin. We had a fierce storm here last night, so the greens were very receptive. Still it was cool to stick a 3 iron like that.

The pictures below are again burst pictures. This one had me 210 out on a par 3, and I had my RXT 3 iron (probably should have used my 2H). Anyway, as you can see (in the second pic) a bit too much divot , and landed right in the first bunker (5th pic to my chagrin body english trying to pull it back left, haha). I can live with that though.

And the last picture is me in my new royal blue 2011 Callaway magna cap (very cool by the way), palming my RAZR X Tour driver (I'm stuck at 275 but I guess I can live with that as well since when I am getting that it's very, very straight), with a friend behind me.

Next time I'll have some more impressions about one of the other irons sets. I can't seem to put the RXTs away, but will as I've got the itch to get into another set again.

[attachment=847333:08252011(003_1).jpg]

[attachment=847336:08252011(003_2).jpg]

[attachment=847340:08252011(003_3).jpg]

[attachment=847343:08252011(003_4).jpg]

[attachment=847348:08252011(003_5).jpg]

[attachment=847349:08252011(001).jpg]

[quote name='reed999' timestamp='1314364861' post='3520630']
RXT's are hard to beat for accuracy. Since I've starting playing them I have consistently hit shots closer to pins than I ever have before. Now with my new ghost spider putter, hopefully that translates to multiple birds and not just bird attempts. Thanks Greek for ALL of your help with the new Callaways this year!
[/quote]
Happy I could help reed. It's a great feeling hitting shots closer. And nice to see you picked up that putter too as you told me you were looking at grabbing one. More birds for you I'm sure! :good:

[quote name='suwdawg' timestamp='1314378903' post='3521281']
Good pics and great report greek wheress the course? Also swing looks pretty good keep it up.
[/quote]
Thanks suwdawg. I've been messing around with an open stance much of the season, and last week when I went back to a slightly closed stance, I started pointing both feet a bit forward. Always experimenting, haha. The open stance actually works pretty well, but I need to use a much stronger grip than normal. We'll see what I wind up with by season's end.

The courses in the pictures were, first, Thunder Hill (a top 50 hardest courses in US). It has a 137 to 152 slope (no one plays the back tees though, I think they're just there for show). Unfortunately, conditions were unsatisfactory.

Next set of pictures was Hemlock Springs. I really like this course very much. It has a 124 to 129 slope for the different tees. The Cleveland Browns always play here for their annual celebrity golf tournament, and it's also host for a U.S. amateur qualifier.

And then the last set of pictures is from a course called Briardale Greens. It's been in mediocre shape for past few years, but recently Billy Casper Golf took over management, and so I thought I'd check it out. And I'm glad I did. It was fun to play, and already is turning around. It's a fair course to play (113 to 120 slope), and generally wide open. A few tight driving holes, and some nice doglegs. The real challenge, or trouble if you will, is on approach shots and on the greens, which are well bunkered and some quite small with a lot of slope.

Next few times out though I'll be heading south, and also play my favorite course, Manakiki again a few times as well.

[quote name='Jaybanks9' timestamp='1314408526' post='3522245']
Amazing review! Thanks! I saw the diablo forged recently and your review made me interested. I play titleist 775 cb and need something new
[/quote]
Glad you like it Jaybanks9.

And I can tell you the Diablo Forged irons really, are something special. It's obvious I like Callaway clubs, but as I've also mentioned, each of these clubs has things about them that some people won't like, or won't be helped by, so I'm not just raving about the positives.

With that said, I can't help but rave about the DFs. My favorite of all, for many reasons. They give "me" the best distance, best accuracy, best flight, and are the most forgiving. And I score best with them, primarily because I have fewer poor shots with them (compared to the other irons).

If you have a chance to hit them, do it. If they suit your eye (ie, amount of offset, sole width, topline, profile), I'm sure the feel and performance will make you want to get them on the spot. I genuinely love everything about them. And I can say with 100% certainty, this is one set of irons I will never, ever, sell, trade, or get rid of.

Viva La Diablo Forged Irons baby! :diablo:

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1314756117' post='3530944']
[quote name='labillyboy' timestamp='1314519327' post='3524815']
Great review! I think you have set a new bar for reviews...
[/quote]
Thanks labillyboy, I appreciate it. And I already have a load of ideas in line to make a potential 2012 review even better. :D
[/quote]
I better start saving now...

Hey Greek, how do you rate the RFX directly against the DF? I have the old X-Tours and can't decide whether to get the DF before they disappear from the stores, the RXF or just keep mine. I'm a mid capper and on my day the X-Tours are fine, but I do struggle a little keeping them straight. I have demoed the RXF and really like them, but I don't play that often and might benefit from an easier club (maybe 25 rounds in summer, no winter golf here). Historically I have suffered when using too much offset (might have been linked to my swing at the time), am I right in thinking that the DF has a fair amount?

[quote name='reed999' timestamp='1314756474' post='3530965']
[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1314756117' post='3530944']
[quote name='labillyboy' timestamp='1314519327' post='3524815']
Great review! I think you have set a new bar for reviews...
[/quote]
Thanks labillyboy, I appreciate it. And I already have a load of ideas in line to make a potential 2012 review even better. :D
[/quote]
I better start saving now...
[/quote]
Ha, you and me both reed. :yes:

[quote name='Raven Logics' timestamp='1314808356' post='3532111']
Hey Greek, how do you rate the RFX directly against the DF? I have the old X-Tours and can't decide whether to get the DF before they disappear from the stores, the RXF or just keep mine. I'm a mid capper and on my day the X-Tours are fine, but I do struggle a little keeping them straight. I have demoed the RXF and really like them, but I don't play that often and might benefit from an easier club (maybe 25 rounds in summer, no winter golf here). Historically I have suffered when using too much offset (might have been linked to my swing at the time), am I right in thinking that the DF has a fair amount?
[/quote]
Hey Raven, no winter golf outside here either, but we get the awesome snowstorms during the holidays (not sarcastic, winter without snow is just wrong).

Anyway, I'll post some close up comparative address pictures of the Diablo Forged and RAZR X Forged irons tomorrow (maybe 4 iron, 7 iron, P) to help you better guage the offset.

But will say for now, while the DF have more offset than the RXF, I don't think it's a lot more. What is a lot or a little though will be different to different people. On the chance this might also help, another reference, to my eye, there's more offset difference between the X22 irons and DF irons, than there is between the DF irons and RXF irons.

It's hard to demo the DFs now I know since you don't see them anywhere, but here in this review, as well as in other places were the DFs are talked about, you see enough people marvel at their launch, distance, and forgiveness. And despite having one of the shorter blade lengths, they have the biggest sweet spot of all the irons. :victory:

Honestly, the only negative I've seen mentioned that might relate somewhat to forgiveness (in terms of consistency) is that a few people say the face has hot spots making distance control sometimes uncertain. No offense to the few who think that, but I think that's probably mumbo jumbo about the hotter carpenter steel face.

Back to the comparisons though, in the 3,4,5,6 (and arguably 7) irons, you'll have more forgiveness with the DFs than the RXFs. With the 8,9, and P, not as much, but still the DFs are the most forgiving.

I'll post the pictures tomorrow, or day after at the latest (want to get them outside in the grass for you, where also the light will be better).

Here are the pictures I promised you Raven.

The Diablo Forged iron will always be the one with the shaft sticker near the hosel in all the picures (I purchased them separately as 3-6, and 7-P, so they all have stickers on them), and also the DF ferrule will have the metal ring in it (compared to the solid black ferrule of the RAZR X Forged).

The pictures are comparing the DF and RAZR X Forged 5 irons, 7 irons, and 9 irons, and show address from 5 perspectives to help you guage the comparative offset you're interested in.

I also included a couple pictures of the soles. The DF has a wider sole as you probably already know and have seen, but don't be fooled by that. Just like the RXF, it has a beveled leading edge and a beveled trailing edge, which makes it very playable.

Hope these help. :diablo:

[u][b]5 Iron (Diablo Forged & RAZR X Forged)[/b][/u]
[attachment=851861:09032011.jpg]

[attachment=851864:09032011(001).jpg]

[attachment=851866:09032011(002).jpg]

[attachment=851867:09032011(003).jpg]

[attachment=851870:09032011(005).jpg]

[attachment=851872:09032011(021).jpg]

[attachment=851873:09032011(020).jpg]

[u][b]7 Iron (Diablo Forged & RAZR X Forged)[/b][/u]
[attachment=851877:09032011(006).jpg]

[attachment=851878:09032011(008).jpg]

[attachment=851879:09032011(009).jpg]

[attachment=851880:09032011(010).jpg]

[attachment=851881:09032011(012).jpg]

[attachment=851883:09032011(023).jpg]

[attachment=851885:09032011(022).jpg]

[u][b]9 Iron (Diablo Forged & RAZR X Forged)[/b][/u]
[attachment=851887:09032011(014).jpg]

[attachment=851888:09032011(015).jpg]

[attachment=851889:09032011(016).jpg]

[attachment=851891:09032011(017).jpg]

[attachment=851893:09032011(019).jpg]

[attachment=851894:09032011(025).jpg]

[attachment=851896:09032011(024).jpg]

[quote name='Raven Logics' timestamp='1315434528' post='3549124']
Thanks for putting the time in to post these pictures - as always, it's appreciated!
[/quote]
Anytime Raven. :hi:

[quote name='tiger168' timestamp='1316114915' post='3566609']
Awesome, awesome, awesome review with which all reviews should set their standard on PAR with. Just excellent eloquent piece that I have come to enjoy reading many times.

tiger168
[/quote]
That's really nice of you to say, and I appreciate it tiger. It was a lot of fun to do.

There are things I left on the table, that I plan on adding next time (have a 2012 set on my radar). Things like eye candy launch monitor pictures showing the particular irons charted performance numbers, shot tracer dispersions,etc (typical monitor stuff). And some short videos, maybe 5 to 10 seconds zoomed in on the club and ball, and recording the club hitting the ball to let people hear what each iron sounds like, how it differs hitting the balls. And of course some other top secret ideas I have cooking :)

Did you get any new Callaway irons this year? I've been hesitant to give my absolute preference beyond saying I like the Diablo Forged irons best, but I probably will next month when the season here is over.