2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2011 - 2012 CALLAWAY GOLF IRONS SHOOTOUT REVIEW

[quote name='BottleCap' timestamp='1309879537' post='3365779']
I tried the Razr X-forged at a Callaway demo day and they were really easy to hit compared to to my Nike VR Splits. All the mis-hits that i'd feel and see with my Nikes really carried with the Callaways and didn't have the harsh feedback.
[/quote]

I went from VR splits to the diablo forged and have not looked back! I love the added forgiveness! Though some day I would love to get another set of Vr splits as I did love them, I think my game is better off at the moment.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hands down the Razr forged are the best cavity backs performance wise I've used since Nike Split protos.. The short irons are deadly. The only thing I would change is the topline.. needs to be a tad thinner.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

Well I took the X Tours out for a comparision with the Diablo Forged. Granted the X Tours had Steelfibers and the DF's had Uniflex. You guys really hit the nail on the head. There was not of that "soft " feel that the DF's had with the X Tours. They felt very dead is the only way to descibe them. They did not feel forged at all. The one problem that I am running into here in Houston is the hardpan ground and the wide soles of the DF. I guess I'll keep the challengers coming while the DF stay in the bag.Next up

$(KGrHqN,!h8E3Oef(tcjBO!uZiSLyQ~~_14.JPG

Going from the Razr X-forged to the Diablo Forged, I find the DF's easier to hit off bare lies. I'm playing on a links course where it's hardly rained for months.

I find that the wider sole works better with more forgiveness than the thinner sole of the Razr X-forged.

[size="2"]I just received my new clubs - RazrX Tours with the Graphite Aldila VS Proto 85g shafts. I was really leery of spending the money as well as trading in my x14 steelheads, because I wasn't sure I was going to see that much difference. Wow, was I wrong.

These clubs are amazingly easy to hit. Amazingly easy. I know a new broom sweeps clean, but after a couple of long sessions on the range these things really are a pleasure. The heads are very forgiving, and as I get grooved to them my solid shots are bliss. I also think it is easier to compress the ball with these than the steelheads. I'm really surprised at the difference in performance between the x14's and the razrx tours. Much greater than I expected.

And the shafts! I have heard a lot of negatives about graphite shafts, both with their lack of accuracy and lack of feel. I have to say - if lack of feel means a feel of butter on every well hit or moderately well hit shot, I can deal with it. These clubs are amazingly smooth, for me far smoother than the steel shaft choices or the stock Callaway graphite shafts- and the smooth feel the Aldila shaft provides really encourages a smooth swing on the ball. I have not seen any increase in dispersion - quite the opposite: My first week with this club package has me absolutely striping the ball. And while I still am calibrating, there is no doubt I've gained measurable distance.

Of course, the proof in the pudding will come out on my first round on the course, but my range sessions this week have been impressive.
[/size]

Congratulations on the new irons!!!!The Raxr X Tour were my very next pick,if i couldn't find the DF's @ a reasonable price.They are a great looking iron & keep us posted after you play a few rounds with them.

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

[quote name='TheFatTick' timestamp='1310177596' post='3376232']
[size="2"]I just received my new clubs - RazrX Tours with the Graphite Aldila VS Proto 85g shafts. I was really leery of spending the money as well as trading in my x14 steelheads, because I wasn't sure I was going to see that much difference. Wow, was I wrong.

These clubs are amazingly easy to hit. Amazingly easy. I know a new broom sweeps clean, but after a couple of long sessions on the range these things really are a pleasure. The heads are very forgiving, and as I get grooved to them my solid shots are bliss. I also think it is easier to compress the ball with these than the steelheads. I'm really surprised at the difference in performance between the x14's and the razrx tours. Much greater than I expected.

And the shafts! I have heard a lot of negatives about graphite shafts, both with their lack of accuracy and lack of feel. I have to say - if lack of feel means a feel of butter on every well hit or moderately well hit shot, I can deal with it. These clubs are amazingly smooth, for me far smoother than the steel shaft choices or the stock Callaway graphite shafts- and the smooth feel the Aldila shaft provides really encourages a smooth swing on the ball. I have not seen any increase in dispersion - quite the opposite: My first week with this club package has me absolutely striping the ball. And while I still am calibrating, there is no doubt I've gained measurable distance.

Of course, the proof in the pudding will come out on my first round on the course, but my range sessions this week have been impressive.
[/size]
[/quote]
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. :yahoo: You finally got your new RAZR X Tours!
And all that unnecessary concern in making the decision TFT. :tongue:

Sounds like the decision was a great one, and you have yourself one phenomenal set of new irons. And of course looking forward to hearing more after you beat down the course you next play. :victory:

Well, the first round is in the books, and I do have some initial impressions: these clubs are straight. This was the best ball striking round with my irons I have played in years - everything from the 5 iron to the PW launched with very little dispersion. An absolute pleasure to hit. Unfortunately an uncharacteristically balky driver held me to an 83, but I may have hit 5 fairways. My iron play really was solid.

But while my misses were so less penal, I did experience a new miss today: I can balloon these clubs. About three times today I caught the ball a bit high on the face, and threw up a gorgeous straight shot that soared a mile in the sky and came up about 10 to 15% short. Which left me with an easy chip through the open entry to the green, but it is not a miss I experienced much of with the x14s.

Overall, I love these things. The guys that I was playing with, who know my game, were all impressed with my iron play. These clubs go right where you point them. I am just going to have to aware that my miss may now be associated with distance rather than dispersion.

[quote name='TheFatTick' timestamp='1310342356' post='3380299']
Well, the first round is in the books, and I do have some initial impressions: these clubs are straight. This was the best ball striking round with my irons I have played in years - everything from the 5 iron to the PW launched with very little dispersion. An absolute pleasure to hit. Unfortunately an uncharacteristically balky driver held me to an 83, but I may have hit 5 fairways. My iron play really was solid.

But while my misses were so less penal, I did experience a new miss today: I can balloon these clubs. About three times today I caught the ball a bit high on the face, and threw up a gorgeous straight shot that soared a mile in the sky and came up about 10 to 15% short. Which left me with an easy chip through the open entry to the green, but it is not a miss I experienced much of with the x14s.

Overall, I love these things. The guys that I was playing with, who know my game, were all impressed with my iron play. These clubs go right where you point them. I am just going to have to aware that my miss may now be associated with distance rather than dispersion.
[/quote]

TFT that's some endorsement. Best ballstriking with the RAZR X Tour irons in years? Can't beat that. Fun [i]and[/i] useful! :good:

Having hit these some time now, I haven't experienced anything like the sky shots you said you hit a few times. Why do you think you hit those? The irons? The graphite shafts? A combination? Swing troubles? :tease:

Keep hitting em straight!

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1310394948' post='3381705']

Having hit these some time now, I haven't experienced anything like the sky shots you said you hit a few times. Why do you think you hit those? The irons? The graphite shafts? A combination? Swing troubles? :tease:

Keep hitting em straight!
[/quote]

All my issues can be traced to operator error. ;)

Came off the range today very happy. I dig these clubs.

After a couple months of playing the Razr X Tours I couldn't be happier! Just added the Razr X Tour 3 hybrid on Saturday and went out and shot my best round in years. It doesn't get much better than that!

Cobra Fly Z+ Driver
Cobra Fly Z Faiway
TM Aero Burner Hybrid
TM RSi1 4-AW Irons
TM Tour Preferred ATV 56*
SC Fastback 1.5

[quote name='TheFatTick' timestamp='1310414774' post='3382683']
All my issues can be traced to operator error. ;)

Came off the range today very happy. I dig these clubs.
[/quote]
I think people who picked up these clubs will find them in their bags for a long time. They just do too many things very well to overlook. And I'd be willing to bet the more time you spend with them TFT, the more you'll dig them. :D

[quote name='bg1' timestamp='1310417923' post='3382833']
After a couple months of playing the Razr X Tours I couldn't be happier! Just added the Razr X Tour 3 hybrid on Saturday and went out and shot my best round in years. It doesn't get much better than that!
[/quote]
Hey bg1, haven't talked since back in May. Great to hear about your low score round. :clapping: RAZT X Tour irons for the win baby! Haha. I too picked up the RAZR X Tour 3 hybrid (2 as well). Love the soles on those. Keep having a great season man! :good:

[quote name='bg1' timestamp='1304677985' post='3211966']
Well, I got 18 holes in yesterday with the Razr X Tours and the R300 shafts opposed to the S300 shafts I originally had. The difference was evident on the very first hole. Although we played most of the day dealing with a two club wind, I knew immediately that the shaft fit my swing better. My distance was back to normal - at least equal, if not a couple yards longer than my i15 irons and the feel was smooth (the S300 was slightly on the harsh side for me). Ballflight was high but not ballooning (I am a high ball hitter) and accuracy was exceptional. Not one hook throughout the round. The shaft fits perfectly. The irons have a nice crisp click when struck and generally like to fly straight. I had a couple opportunities where I wanted to fade the ball - a swing that would produce 15 yards of fade with the i15 produced about half of that with the Razr X Tours.
I have to say that the Dynamic Golds, being heavier than the lightweight steel shafts I've played of late really feel good throughout the swing.
If I hadn't 3 putted half the greens out there I would of had a great score........................I'm not sure what that was all about but the putter was switched out as soon as I got home!

I cannot say enough about the great customer service I received. It is worth mentioning that the locally owned golf store (30 miles from my home) that switched my S300 irons for the R300 irons was not where I originally bought them, in fact, I had never been in this store before. It just happened that after many phone calls, they were the only ones with the R300 set in stock. I was just going to trade the irons in, take the loss, and pick up the new set. I walked into a wonderfully stocked golf department with knowledgable staff and after explaining what I was doing, they just switched my irons for the ones I wanted. I was extremely grateful and spent at least as much as what I had expected to spend for the trade on additional golf equipment. They will always be my first stop for golf equipment in the future.
[/quote]
That's a good story! They didn't have to yet wanted you to have the right gear. It's great to hear that customer service is still alive and well.

Some can also take from your post that R flex does not automatically mean loose or inaccurate- and in a lot of cases, a better fit.
Play well :drinks:

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1310500476' post='3385700']
How do the RAZR mb's play in the short irons compared to RAZR forged?
[/quote]
Golfjunki71 I'll post some comparison pictures later tonight or tomorrow. One thing you'll notice is the RAZR X Muscleback irons have a thinner topline and sole than the RAZR X Forged irons (which by the way I have no problem with appearance wise, and find them to be thin enough to be confidence inspiring and pleasing to my eye).

As far as playability, I was talking about this with Puppetmaster (who also went with a combo set), how the RAZR X MBs have a very strong, powerful feel to them. I don't know how much the head weight differs between the two irons (and I have the same shafts, swingweight, etc in both), but I can tell you the RAZR X MBs have a feel all their own.

Balance wise (and the RAZR X Forged irons have great balance mind you), the RAZR X MBs have a weighted (almost momentum based feeling) balance that you feel throughout your backswing and delivery. It's not about swingweight. I can't explain it. It's just there. And it's awesome. You know where the head is at all times during the swing.

In terms of forgiveness, neither is a forgiving iron per se, but surprisingly in the short irons (not to the same degree in the long irons however) the RAZR X Forged and RAZR X MBs seem nearly equally forgiving.

As far as launch, distance, and spin goes (same lofts between the sets), but the MBs launch just a tad lower, but go a bit father, and have a little more spin. They're the epitome of scoring clubs in my opinion (if you are consistent enough to benefit from them; which I am not, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the good shots I have with them and ignore the bad ones). :yes:

Hope that helps some. :hi:

Here are some comparative pictures between the RAZR X Muscleback and RAZR X Forged irons for you. In all the pictures the RAZR X Muscleback iron is either the iron on the top, or the iron to the right. Pictures are in order of the 5 irons, 7 irons, 8 irons, 9 irons, and PWs. Enjoy.

[b][u]COMPARATIVE PICTURES: RAZR X Muscleback & RAZR X Forged Irons[/u][/b]
[attachment=969623:1.jpg]

[b][u]5 Irons Address[/u][/b]
[attachment=969621:2.jpg]

[b][u]5 Irons Face[/u][/b]
[attachment=969619:3.jpg]

[b][u]5 Irons Toe[/u][/b]
[attachment=969615:4.jpg]

[b][u]5 Irons Sole[/u][/b]
[attachment=969613:5.jpg]

[b][u]7 Irons Address[/u][/b]
[attachment=969611:6.jpg]

[b][u]7 Irons Face[/u][/b]
[attachment=969609:7.jpg]

[b][u]7 Irons Toe[/u][/b]
[attachment=969607:8.jpg]

[b][u]7 Irons Sole[/u][/b]
[attachment=969605:9.jpg]

[b][u]8 Irons Address[/u][/b]
[attachment=969603:10.jpg]

[b][u]8 Irons Face[/u][/b]
[attachment=969599:11.jpg]

[b][u]8 Irons Toe[/u][/b]
[attachment=969597:12.jpg]

[b][u]8 Irons Sole[/u][/b]
[attachment=969595:13.jpg]

[b][u]9 Irons Address[/u][/b]
[attachment=969593:14.jpg]

[b][u]9 Irons Face[/u][/b]
[attachment=969589:15.jpg]

[b][u]9 Irons Toe[/u][/b]
[attachment=969587:16.jpg]

[b][u]9 Irons Sole[/u][/b]
[attachment=969585:17.jpg]

[b][u]PWs Address[/u][/b]
[attachment=969583:18.jpg]

[b][u]PWs Face[/u][/b]
[attachment=969581:19.jpg]

[b][u]PWs Toe[/u][/b]
[attachment=969579:20.jpg]

[b][u]PWs Sole[/u][/b]
[attachment=969577:21.jpg]

that topline on those razr x forged are pretty thick compared to the mbs...i wonder how they look in a combo type set because they really look like 2 different sets of irons...which they are...those mbs look awesome though...

a nice little shootout between these and the s3 pros would be nice to see...but that is what i like about the s3 pros, they look identical from cavity to blade

Thanks for all the info. I just order a combo set with kbs to back up my RAZR forged with PX. As for wedges will stick with my Vokeys. Could not get comfortable with the jaws.

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1310506690' post='3386093']
[/quote]
Golfjunki71 I'll post some comparison pictures later tonight or tomorrow. One thing you'll notice is the RAZR X Muscleback irons have a thinner topline and sole than the RAZR X Forged irons (which by the way I have no problem with appearance wise, and find them to be thin enough to be confidence inspiring and pleasing to my eye).

As far as playability, I was talking about this with Puppetmaster (who also went with a combo set), how the RAZR X MBs have a very strong, powerful feel to them. I don't know how much the head weight differs between the two irons (and I have the same shafts, swingweight, etc in both), but I can tell you the RAZR X MBs have a feel all their own.

Balance wise (and the RAZR X Forged irons have great balance mind you), the RAZR X MBs have a weighted (almost momentum based feeling) balance that you feel throughout your backswing and delivery. It's not about swingweight. I can't explain it. It's just there. And it's awesome. You know where the head is at all times during the swing.

In terms of forgiveness, neither is a forgiving iron per se, but surprisingly in the short irons (not to the same degree in the long irons however) the RAZR X Forged and RAZR X MBs seem nearly equally forgiving.

As far as launch, distance, and spin goes (same lofts between the sets), but the MBs launch just a tad lower, but go a bit father, and have a little more spin. They're the epitome of scoring clubs in my opinion (if you are consistent enough to benefit from them; which I am not, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the good shots I have with them and ignore the bad ones). :yes:

[/quote]

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

I agree on the top line. However to me it is no different than playing blade wedges with a thicker iron set. Somewhere there will be a visual transition in your set.

[quote name='LongJohn6284' timestamp='1310575520' post='3388221']
that topline on those razr x forged are pretty thick compared to the mbs...i wonder how they look in a combo type set because they really look like 2 different sets of irons...which they are...those mbs look awesome though...

a nice little shootout between these and the s3 pros would be nice to see...but that is what i like about the s3 pros, they look identical from cavity to blade
[/quote]

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

To my eyes that topline looks terrible- far too [b]thick[/b] and rounded for on a "players" iron...
with that said, the MB do look nice though.

Greek ~ I've long been of the belief that muscleback blade irons have a balance all their own- and the mass behind the ball provides a unique feel as well. The combination is what seperates them from the rest in my honest opinion.

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1310580649' post='3388498']
Thanks for all the info. I just order a combo set with kbs to back up my RAZR forged with PX. As for wedges will stick with my Vokeys. Could not get comfortable with the jaws.

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1310506690' post='3386093']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

No problem Golfjunki71. Enjoy those new sticks when they arrive! :good:

[quote name='golfbum9' timestamp='1310587554' post='3388812']
To my eyes that topline looks terrible- far too [b]thick[/b] and rounded for on a "players" iron...

Greek ~ I've long been of the belief that muscleback blade irons have a balance all their own- and the mass behind the ball provides a unique feel as well. The combination is what seperates them from the rest in my honest opinion.
[/quote]

these comments with out fail make me chuckle. Go look at them in person. Just about any players CB looks bigger next to a blade.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

[quote name='golfbum9' timestamp='1310587554' post='3388812']

[/quote]

Hey golfbum9, while there are certainly thinner players irons than the RAZR X Forged irons, I wouldn't call the RXFs thick (but I think determining what is thick and thin, is just as much about preference, as it is about iron design in any absolute sense).

Regarding the RAZR X Musclebacks, I really am very impressed with their balance and feel. They're generally not as easy to hit for me as the other irons (particularly the long irons). And the Diablo Forged irons are still my best (and favorite) clubs. But when I do hit the MBs flush, wow. Really. wo-wow. Haha. :man_in_love:

What makes me chuckle is when they're referred to as a "players" iron, when in reality, they're just a Mid/ Oversized GI iron.
The only purpose of a thick topline is to fool the golfer into thinking the clubhead is more forgiving when in reality, a topline in-and-of itself has absolutely no bearing on how forgiving an iron is. None.
But lately, golfers as a whole have become accustomed to regurgitad designs with only minor tweaks- some flat out ugly with pointless badges and stickers, can't omit rubber cushions for "feel" (or lack thereof)- which is [i]ok[/i], as long as they work" we try and convince ourselves...
A lot of these "ground breaking" clubs have already been done before, but at the time, the market wasn't ready for them - that is without the marketing strength as we know it today...

The truth of the matter -regardless of what the marketing departments tell you- is that they [i][b]ALL[/u][/b] work!
At the end of the day the bottom line is that [u]you still have to make a good pass on the ball for a good result.[/u][b] Period.[/b]

I'm not a snob by any means, so don't please don't jump on me. I'm just speaking the truth here.

Greek - There is something about a blade iron that's tough to describe- which is why everyone should try them at least once. Same goes with persimmons, but I digress.
My apologies for hijacking your thread... enjoy your clubs! :drinks:

Greek, I am thinking of moving from 09 x forged to the x tours for added forgiveness. I am a 1 index and love everything about the xforged. I am only playing about 2-3 times per month now and think the forgiveness may make up for not playing as much.

You seem like you have hit most of callaways offerings. Does this seem logical?

P.S. I have hit the xtours indoors and outside and they were great, I'm just a little scared of buyers remorse.

Thanks for any advice.

[quote name='reed999' timestamp='1310691745' post='3392480']
Greek, I am thinking of moving from 09 x forged to the x tours for added forgiveness. I am a 1 index and love everything about the xforged. I am only playing about 2-3 times per month now and think the forgiveness may make up for not playing as much.

P.S. I have hit the xtours indoors and outside and they were great, I'm just a little scared of buyers remorse.

Thanks for any advice.
[/quote]
Hey reed999, that's a tough call. If you're playing to a 1, you obviously do most everything well, and/or don't do anything poorly. And probably hit any iron very well.

With that said, you know your game best, so it's probably up to you what you want in trade off (which is what it will come down to). The RAZR X Tour irons will be more forgiving (assuming we can compare the 09 X Forged to the RAZR X Forged), but you'll trade more forgiveness for workability. In particular, you'll get more forgiveness on toe hits (very noticeable) and thin shots (noticeable). Yet I wonder how often you're hitting out near the toe or thin playing at 1. Though that's where playing infrequently might come in down the road as you mentioned.

Also, the shapes of the irons might be important to you. Your irons being more compact, with a smaller profile, than the RXTs. Depends what you feel most comfortable with there.

Also, I think the sole, cg, and shape of the RXTs make them work a bit better for a sweeper with a back and around style of swing. If you're s digger with a steeper swing, you can still play these, I just believe (playing around with styles of swing) that they work better for sweepers.

I don't think you'd have any buyers remorse with the RAZR X Tours. They will work for you certainly. And if you enjoy new clubs, that alone is good enough for a purchase of course. But depending on your misses, and how your misses will be when you play less frequently, along with the trade off between forgiviness and workability as it relates to your game, I can't say that you should or shouldn't either way.

You've hit them as you said, and I take it from your post that you want to get them, but are just looking for that final nudge, haha. I say go with your gut. Stay with the 09 X Forged, or go to the RAZR X Tours, your gut knows what to do.

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1310753621' post='3394133']
[quote name='reed999' timestamp='1310691745' post='3392480']

Thanks for any advice.
[/quote]
Hey reed999, that's a tough call. If you're playing to a 1, you obviously do most everything well, and/or don't do anything poorly. And probably hit any iron very well.

With that said, you know your game best, so it's probably up to you what you want in trade off (which is what it will come down to). The RAZR X Tour irons will be more forgiving (assuming we can compare the 09 X Forged to the RAZR X Forged), but you'll trade more forgiveness for workability. In particular, you'll get more forgiveness on toe hits (very noticeable) and thin shots (noticeable). Yet I wonder how often you're hitting out near the toe or thin playing at 1. Though that's where playing infrequently might come in down the road as you mentioned.

Also, the shapes of the irons might be important to you. Your irons being more compact, with a smaller profile, than the RXTs. Depends what you feel most comfortable with there.

Also, I think the sole, cg, and shape of the RXTs make them work a bit better for a sweeper with a back and around style of swing. If you're s digger with a steeper swing, you can still play these, I just believe (playing around with styles of swing) that they work better for sweepers.

I don't think you'd have any buyers remorse with the RAZR X Tours. They will work for you certainly. And if you enjoy new clubs, that alone is good enough for a purchase of course. But depending on your misses, and how your misses will be when you play less frequently, along with the trade off between forgiviness and workability as it relates to your game, I can't say that you should or shouldn't either way.

You've hit them as you said, and I take it from your post that you want to get them, but are just looking for that final nudge, haha. I say go with your gut. Stay with the 09 X Forged, or go to the RAZR X Tours, your gut knows what to do.
[/quote]

Greek, any thoughts on the best recent Cally replacement for a digger mid-capper (12.3 index) still using X-14PS with Rifle stiffs? I've been using these for nearly 10 years, and still haven't ever found anything better (although I haven't tried much either, as my iron play is the best part of my game, and I love, love, love these clubs). Thinking about trying something new from the Cally offerings, I love the look of the Razr X-Forged but worry they might be a little too much (or to be more accurate, a little too little in terms of head size and forgiveness) for me. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='sscott43' timestamp='1310768181' post='3394821']
Greek, any thoughts on the best recent Cally replacement for a digger mid-capper (12.3 index) still using X-14PS with Rifle stiffs? I've been using these for nearly 10 years, and still haven't ever found anything better (although I haven't tried much either, as my iron play is the best part of my game, and I love, love, love these clubs). Thinking about trying something new from the Cally offerings, I love the look of the Razr X-Forged but worry they might be a little too much (or to be more accurate, a little too little in terms of head size and forgiveness) for me. Thanks in advance.
[/quote]
Hey sscott 43, first of all I'd say hold on to your X-14PS. I have my FT's (same clubs golfbum9 suggested above) which are a few years old now, but keep them because they just play well, period. If you find a set that works, (and I assume yours do :) "love love love these clubs"), then keep them. There are a few people in this thread who also play the FT irons, and if you go back a few pages, you'll see they're very happy with their performance.

Now if you're looking just at the latest irons, the RAZR X Tour and RAZR X Forged irons both have aspects similar to your X-14PS that you might like. I'd recommend the Diablo Forged irons to be honest, but you mentioned you were unsure about the headsize of the RAZR X Forged, and the Diablo Forged also have an even smaller profile. Some don't like that at all, I prefer it. If you were ok with that size though, I'd recommend the Diablo Forged hands down.

The X-14PS soles are most similar to the RAZR X Tour soles in terms of radius (I don't know about the X-14PS bounce though, but assume it'd be closer to the RAZR X Forged than the RAZR X Tour). And the overall size (profile, sole width) of the X-14PS is also more similar to the RAZR X Tour than the RAZR X Forged, and probably have more similar CGs as well (again though this just an assumption). Also know the lofts are different, the RAZR X Tours being stronger than the RAZR X Forged. So as far as the new irons go, Diablo Forged, RAZR X Tour, RAZR X Forged, I'd say if you're looking to upgrade to an iron most similar to the one you have, go RAZR X Tour.

As far as you being a digger, when I initially hit all these irons a few months ago to test them out, I purposefully varied my approach angles to see how they would play with steeper swings and flatter swings. And after many weeks of hitting many shots and tracking and organizing the results, it was clear, the Diablo Forged irons, and RAZR X Tour irons, played well with both types of swing (and so play well for both diggers and sweepers). However the RAZR X Forged irons had a few more thin shots with flat swings as opposed to steeper ones (and so are better suited for diggers than sweepers).

Hope that helps.

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1310923909' post='3398717']
[quote name='sscott43' timestamp='1310768181' post='3394821']
[/quote]
Hey sscott 43, first of all I'd say hold on to your X-14PS. I have my FT's (same clubs golfbum9 suggested above) which are a few years old now, but keep them because they just play well, period. If you find a set that works, (and I assume yours do :) "love love love these clubs"), then keep them. There are a few people in this thread who also play the FT irons, and if you go back a few pages, you'll see they're very happy with their performance.

Now if you're looking just at the latest irons, the RAZR X Tour and RAZR X Forged irons both have aspects similar to your X-14PS that you might like. I'd recommend the Diablo Forged irons to be honest, but you mentioned you were unsure about the headsize of the RAZR X Forged, and the Diablo Forged also have an even smaller profile. Some don't like that at all, I prefer it. If you were ok with that size though, I'd recommend the Diablo Forged hands down.

The X-14PS soles are most similar to the RAZR X Tour soles in terms of radius (I don't know about the X-14PS bounce though, but assume it'd be closer to the RAZR X Forged than the RAZR X Tour). And the overall size (profile, sole width) of the X-14PS is also more similar to the RAZR X Tour than the RAZR X Forged, and probably have more similar CGs as well (again though this just an assumption). Also know the lofts are different, the RAZR X Tours being stronger than the RAZR X Forged. So as far as the new irons go, Diablo Forged, RAZR X Tour, RAZR X Forged, I'd say if you're looking to upgrade to an iron most similar to the one you have, go RAZR X Tour.

As far as you being a digger, when I initially hit all these irons a few months ago to test them out, I purposefully varied my approach angles to see how they would play with steeper swings and flatter swings. And after many weeks of hitting many shots and tracking and organizing the results, it was clear, the Diablo Forged irons, and RAZR X Tour irons, played well with both types of swing (and so play well for both diggers and sweepers). However the RAZR X Forged irons had a few more thin shots with flat swings as opposed to steeper ones (and so are better suited for diggers than sweepers).

Hope that helps.
[/quote]

That does help a lot, thanks so much, Greek. I may head to the Callaway fitting studio here on the South Side of Chicago but wanted to have an idea of what I might be looking for. Everyone does seem to give high marks to the Diablo Forged so I might have to give those a shot as well.