2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2011 - 2012 CALLAWAY GOLF IRONS SHOOTOUT REVIEW

[quote name='DMR2112' timestamp='1306351206' post='3262156']
The Razr X iron that i tested at the demo day I went to had the Callaway uniflex shaft which is, as Greek has informed me, is basically a private label version of True Temper's TT lite shaft. ( correct me if i'm off Greek :rolleyes: ). The club felt pretty good and had a nice ball flight. High, flat and with great distance. Not as good a feel as the Razr X tour and 1 degree stronger in loft IMO. NOW, I actually hit the Razr X a little lower than the X tour or X forged but the fitter that day said that was because of the off-set clubhead and the fact that I forward press my hands at address. Either way though the hit was solid and true. I just preferred the look and feel of the Tour over the Razr X.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the clubs in this line. ust make sure that you hit enough of them with different shaft options to make sure you get the one you like best. Good luck!!!!!

DR
[/quote]

Thanks for that update DR. I'm not surprised you preferred the RAZR X Tour over the non tour version. In addition to the obvious design and playability benefits and advantages, it also just has that intangible "something" about it, and it's certainnly drawing a lot of people to it. Even I'm playing it more despite my love affair with my Diablo Forged irons. Haha.

And yes you're right about the shafts, and good advice suggesting people try different shafts if possible. We've had some nice discussions in this thread already about different shafts, which no doubt has been helpful as well.

Well, sounds like you had a fun demo day. I would still steer you towards the Diablo Forged, :hi: but as you said, you can't go wrong with any of the irons now available. :victory:

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='DMR2112' timestamp='1306351206' post='3262156']
[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1306340993' post='3261710']
[quote name='usaglfho' timestamp='1306139358' post='3255349']
[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1306053825' post='3253370']
[quote name='usaglfho' timestamp='1305940875' post='3250889']
Absolutely great review. Not to get to far off topic but ust wondering for a mid handicapper (10) would the standard Razor X irons be significantly better for someone looking for more forgiveness as opposed to tour Razor X or Diablo Forged?

The Golf Digest annual club test reviews rated them tops for performance under the game improvement category. Thinking the Razr X Tour is a little too much club for me and maybe the new Razor X has better weighting/sole design/performance than the Diablo Forged.

Can't demo as i am in a medium/small city in a foreign country but considering ordering some Razor X and have son bring with him when visits. Also clubs here in Asia twice cost as in USA due to luxury taxes.
[/quote]

usaglfho, first of all great idea getting your son to bring you a set. I had no idea luxury taxes double the cost of irons. That probably discourages many, many people from getting new sets. Be sure to thank your son when he brings home those shiny new Callaway clubs for you! :friends:

I'm a big fan of the Diablo Forged irons as I've mentioned. I think they're easy to hit, travel forever, and have great turf interaction on many lies. I can't speak directly on the RAZR X irons (non tour) since I don't own them, and didn't hit them enough to really draw certain specific comparisons to the other irons in this review.

However a member who posts here, DMR2112, has hit them, and recently even, so I imagine he will have a lot of first hand insight into how they play, and feel.

Going on what I remember from hitting the RAZR X (non tour) irons briefly, I know they will launch higher than the RAZR X Tour irons (though not sure if they'd launch higher than the Diablo Forged, but I suspect it would be close, a little higher, or a litle lower). They have wider soles than both the RAZR X Tour, and Diablo Forged irons. They also have the most offset, which generally is going to give you a little higher launch for any lofted iron. And of course they're certainly going to be easy to hit.

I will say though a 10 handicap is solid, and it depends on the strength of your game wether or not you should go RAZR X Tour, or Diablo Forged, or RAZR X irons. If you hit your irons pretty well, I think certainly any of these irons will be good for you. If you generally struggle with iron play or ball striking, you might want to look at RAZR X (non tour) irons for the most forgiveness (although the RAZR X Tour irons, and especially the Diablo Forged irons are also quite forgiving as mentioned, and I believe certainly fit the bill for a 10 handicap such as yourself.)

Hope that helps some. Good luck choosing, and let us know what you wind up with ultimately.
[/quote]

GreekGrind,

Thank you for the excellent feedback. I will definitely test the Diablo Forged against the RAZR X and RAZR Tour. No problem paying more for the Diablo Forged if they are the right club for me. When i get fitted i am going to throw my Burner 1.0 and Titleist AP1's in the mix. Will start with the right shafts and then work my way to the best iron head for the recommended shafts.

Again great review and thanks.
[/quote]

Glad I could help usaglfho!

Can't wait to hear how your testing of the RAZR X, RAZR X Tour, and Diablo Forged irons goes.

I'm guessing you're going to wind up with the Diablo Forged. :D
[/quote]

The Razr X iron that i tested at the demo day I went to had the Callaway uniflex shaft which is, as Greek has informed me, is basically a private label version of True Temper's TT lite shaft. ( correct me if i'm off Greek :rolleyes: ). The club felt pretty good and had a nice ball flight. High, flat and with great distance. Not as good a feel as the Razr X tour and 1 degree stronger in loft IMO. NOW, I actually hit the Razr X a little lower than the X tour or X forged but the fitter that day said that was because of the off-set clubhead and the fact that I forward press my hands at address. Either way though the hit was solid and true. I just preferred the look and feel of the Tour over the Razr X.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the clubs in this line. ust make sure that you hit enough of them with different shaft options to make sure you get the one you like best. Good luck!!!!!

DR
[/quote]

greek as its been clearly stated fantastic review it has been a fantastic help and one I think many golfers truly appreciate especially in this day and age with so much equipment and shafts so hard to test outside so this type of review is perfect!

Me: 108-113 swing speed play RAC lt's (yeah I need new sticks) with flighted rifle 6.5. 5 handicap and tend to be a digger as well.

clearly a lot of love for the tours. I did get a chance to demo both forge and tours with px 5.5, 6, and s300 6 irons. Big difference in shafts from 6 to 5.5 and s300 ( to me the most similiar) 6's are definitely heavier and feels like a loaded weapon in your hand as just tons of power. The 5.5's easier to swing but also felt whippier and really can't step on it if you'd like.

I found the forge to be just a great feeling club with almost no offset very easy to hit different shots and very accurate. The tours did not give same response and felt more muted when struck. Just couldn't get in rhytm as hard to get feel with the club as ball just came off club differently. I will say this about tours WOW they're long. I hit my old iron and then this and seriously 1.5 clubs longer but they are almost 4 deg stronger too which is a big difference. I do believe Greeks in depth discussion of turf is very key as that was one thing I noticed with forge as just cut through the turf easily and ball did come off nice with a medium trajectory. I play in Florida so I really prefer that as I've always been a high ball striker and wind here is a killer.

The forges were longer than my club maybe .5 to .75 club longer but they were so accurate. I've never been able to fade a ball and its almost ridiculous how easy it is with these clubs to do it as well as draw just based on setup change which is way it should be.

I'm really wanting to get a set and forges are near top of list. Also looking at taylormade r9 tp B stamps as I've played taylor made for long time and that nice thin top line mixed with smaller soft cast head is a nice combo.

Greek .... I wanted to make it a point to comment on this thread - and more specifically - comment on what an absolutely top-notch review you did. CAZbravo.gif

Iron threads don't normally grab my attention - but yours has a lot of traffic - and I tried a Cally iron recently - so I clicked on it 3_8_11v.gif ... and well ... I went shocker.gifshocker.gif ... Dayummmmm - It was so thorough that I literally got off - cuz I was short on time - and re-read it from front to back last night - I wanted to take it all in.

This is why I like this forum - This thread is what other threads should want to grow up and be. Bro - That's some SERIOUS 411 - and done in a very easy to read - thorough - well thought out manner

BIG ATTA BOY to you 23_30_116.gif .... Well done !!!!CAZbravo.gifCAZbravo.gifCAZbravo.gif

ROBOPTI, thanks for the very nice compliments. Glad you enjoyed reading the review. I'll be updating it soon as well with some reports from the courses, and more pictures as well.

And I have to say I enjoyed reading your post as well. It's an emoticonsummate masterpiece! :aikido:

[quote name='wburdett' timestamp='1306417918' post='3264010']
greek as its been clearly stated fantastic review it has been a fantastic help and one I think many golfers truly appreciate especially in this day and age with so much equipment and shafts so hard to test outside so this type of review is perfect!

Me: 108-113 swing speed play RAC lt's (yeah I need new sticks) with flighted rifle 6.5. 5 handicap and tend to be a digger as well.

clearly a lot of love for the tours. I did get a chance to demo both forge and tours with px 5.5, 6, and s300 6 irons. Big difference in shafts from 6 to 5.5 and s300 ( to me the most similiar) 6's are definitely heavier and feels like a loaded weapon in your hand as just tons of power. The 5.5's easier to swing but also felt whippier and really can't step on it if you'd like.

I found the forge to be just a great feeling club with almost no offset very easy to hit different shots and very accurate. The tours did not give same response and felt more muted when struck. Just couldn't get in rhytm as hard to get feel with the club as ball just came off club differently. I will say this about tours WOW they're long. I hit my old iron and then this and seriously 1.5 clubs longer but they are almost 4 deg stronger too which is a big difference. I do believe Greeks in depth discussion of turf is very key as that was one thing I noticed with forge as just cut through the turf easily and ball did come off nice with a medium trajectory. I play in Florida so I really prefer that as I've always been a high ball striker and wind here is a killer.

The forges were longer than my club maybe .5 to .75 club longer but they were so accurate. I've never been able to fade a ball and its almost ridiculous how easy it is with these clubs to do it as well as draw just based on setup change which is way it should be.

I'm really wanting to get a set and forges are near top of list. Also looking at taylormade r9 tp B stamps as I've played taylor made for long time and that nice thin top line mixed with smaller soft cast head is a nice combo.
[/quote]

Hi wburdett, I'm glad you enjoyed the review and found it helpful.

Though I prefer the Diablo Forged irons for my game, I think the RAZR X Forged irons might be exactly the kind of irons that you're looking for. :yahoo:

For a faster swing speed, high ball striker such as yourself, and playing in the Florida winds, the generally higher, and flighted CG in the RAZR X Forged irons will give you the most penetrating flight of all the irons in the review (independent on whatever shaft you choose). You certainly have the swing speed and tempo to take full advantage of what these irons do best.

Get a shaft in them you're comfortable with as well, and you might soon be saying the RAZR X Forged irons are the best you've ever played. :victory:

Keep up posted on what you decide to do. Sounds to me though like you're ready to pull the trigger on these irons. :yess:

After finally putting some diablo forgeds together I was able to hit the range yesterday for the first time. After getting into a groove with them, these things are fantastic. Coming from vr splits, I wanted some more forgiveness but not something huge. These fit that profile, and are just about the same in a pc but more forgiveness. On the bad swings I could tell I missed it but they still flew just about true distance. They almost reminded me of my first set 06 big berthas. Another thing I noticed was the lower clubs were just low launch missiles for me. Being a tremedous high ball hitter, I was surprised. That could be that the 5 iron is actually a 4 iron loft but none the less. These things are sweet. I have them paired with 5.5 px satins. I think my hoing is done.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1306493552' post='3266329']
After finally putting some diablo forgeds together I was able to hit the range yesterday for the first time. After getting into a groove with them, these things are fantastic. Coming from vr splits, I wanted some more forgiveness but not something huge. These fit that profile, and are just about the same in a pc but more forgiveness. On the bad swings I could tell I missed it but they still flew just about true distance. They almost reminded me of my first set 06 big berthas. Another thing I noticed was the lower clubs were just low launch missiles for me. Being a tremedous high ball hitter, I was surprised. That could be that the 5 iron is actually a 4 iron loft but none the less. These things are sweet. I have them paired with 5.5 px satins. I think my hoing is done.
[/quote]

Well I made the plunge and bought the Razr x forged with 6.0 PX. I opted not to get flighted shafts as already flighed CG as Greek pointed out to me. I'm looking forward to getting them next week and give a review.

[/quote]

Couldn't agree with you more bubbagump, the Diablo Forged irons are fantastic! :D

And I bet they look sweet with the Project X Satin shafts. :pimp: As far as I know the Satin and Chrome both have the same properties and performance characteristics. But the Satin just look wicked!

The short irons launch into the greens lets you attack as aggressively as you want, yes. I think there was some misinformation last year about these irons being "too" high launching. Maybe they were for some, but while they're generally going to launch higher than the other irons in this review, the ultimate trajectories of any irons of course will depend on the shafts and attack angles among other things.

And as you've read here already, there are quite a few who love their Diablo Forged irons, and play in windy conditions, and have no problem at all with flighting them low, even the long irons when necessary.

Enjoy your new sticks. Im looking forward to hearing about the many great shots you'll be hitting with them! :yahoo:

[quote name='wburdett' timestamp='1306495361' post='3266368']Well I made the plunge and bought the Razr x forged with 6.0 PX. I opted not to get flighted shafts as already flighed CG as Greek pointed out to me. I'm looking forward to getting them next week and give a review.
[/quote]

Congrats on your purchase. :good: Have a feeling you're not going to need much time getting used to these, and it's going to be an easy transition.

I think I hear someone saying in the near future, "[i]And now, introducing, your 2011 Club Champion, wburdett!"[/i] :)

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1306518317' post='3267165']
[/quote]

Couldn't agree with you more bubbagump, the Diablo Forged irons are fantastic! :D

And I bet they look sweet with the Project X Satin shafts. :pimp: As far as I know the Satin and Chrome both have the same properties and performance characteristics. But the Satin just look wicked!

The short irons launch into the greens lets you attack as aggressively as you want, yes. I think there was some misinformation last year about these irons being "too" high launching. Maybe they were for some, but while they're generally going to launch higher than the other irons in this review, the ultimate trajectories of any irons of course will depend on the shafts and attack angles among other things.

And as you've read here already, there are quite a few who love their Diablo Forged irons, and play in windy conditions, and have no problem at all with flighting them low, even the long irons when necessary.

Enjoy your new sticks. Im looking forward to hearing about the many great shots you'll be hitting with them! :yahoo:
[/quote]

Thanks! I am gonna try to get some pics up of them when I have some extra time. I am really excited about hitting these more.

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

GreekGrind,

What a awesome review well thought out. It's funny as i purchased a set of Razr X Tours with DG S300's on Monday I played Ping S57 for a year great club but i wanted a little more forgiveness. I love my Razr Tours. The flight is perfect to me, the feel is much softer than my S57's. I have 4 range sessions with them and the S57 are going on Fleabay. I do agree wth you 100% on the finish fo the face, they do mark up pretty easy. Other than that the are perfect. I have not played callaway irons in 15 years my old Steelhead X-14 Pro Series.

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1306518538' post='3267171']
[quote name='wburdett' timestamp='1306495361' post='3266368']Well I made the plunge and bought the Razr x forged with 6.0 PX. I opted not to get flighted shafts as already flighed CG as Greek pointed out to me. I'm looking forward to getting them next week and give a review.
[/quote]

Congrats on your purchase. :good: Have a feeling you're not going to need much time getting used to these, and it's going to be an easy transition.

I think I hear someone saying in the near future, "[i]And now, introducing, your 2011 Club Champion, wburdett!"[/i] :)
[/quote]

LOL hey thanks and my acceptance speech will have to include many thanks to the Greek for getting me the right clubs to make this happen.

Can't wait to get them and fire off some reviews and hopefully give some love to the forged irons!!

[quote name='MCCA' timestamp='1306524121' post='3267382']
GreekGrind,

What a awesome review well thought out. It's funny as i purchased a set of Razr X Tours with DG S300's on Monday I played Ping S57 for a year great club but i wanted a little more forgiveness. I love my Razr Tours. The flight is perfect to me, the feel is much softer than my S57's. I have 4 range sessions with them and the S57 are going on Fleabay. I do agree wth you 100% on the finish fo the face, they do mark up pretty easy. Other than that the are perfect. I have not played callaway irons in 15 years my old Steelhead X-14 Pro Series.
[/quote]

Glad you liked the review MCAA. Sounds like you have yourself an ideal set of irons with your new RAZR X Tours :yes:

And I think it bears repeating, (in my opinion) Callaway really did a great job with these newest iron offerings. I don't believe newest is always best, but these new Callaway irons really might be their best yet. And in this current line of irons, the RAZR X Tour irons seem to be the most popular.

There are few others here who've tried or switched to the new Callaway irons this season, and either played or play Ping (though not the S57). Were you able to judge distance differences? If you have flight, feel, and forgivness perfect for you as you say, and then also added some distance as well? :yahoo:

Enjoy the holiday weekend, and of course your new irons. Looking forward to hearing more when you get them on the course.

Well got out today after my son's baseball game. Shot 77 hit a lot of green the irons are solid, my driver sucked today :russian_roulette: . These are irons that IMHO are very very under rated. my brother in-law that is the same hcp as me 7 got TM R9 TP's last week asked why did i get these? well have betting him by 5 shots and i let him hit my wedge and his wedge. he's going to GG tomorrow to look at his options. keep in mind i had my 9 & pw bent back 1° and still hitting it abot 2 yards longer than my S57's with the same shafts in both DG S300's.

[quote name='MCCA' timestamp='1306623034' post='3269535']
Well got out today after my son's baseball game. Shot 77 hit a lot of green the irons are solid, my driver sucked today :russian_roulette: . These are irons that IMHO are very very under rated. my brother in-law that is the same hcp as me 7 got TM R9 TP's last week asked why did i get these? well have betting him by 5 shots and i let him hit my wedge and his wedge. he's going to GG tomorrow to look at his options. keep in mind i had my 9 & pw bent back 1° and still hitting it abot 2 yards longer than my S57's with the same shafts in both DG S300's.
[/quote]

great to hear so cool to have confident irons. Which ones do you have tours or forged. did your brother in law have the B stamp or just the retail tp's. I just bought both sets razr x forged and the r9 tp b's tour issue and they just both got here. No chance to hit yet but excited to do it.

Razr's are so good looking and tps have a great look at address. This will be interesting to see how it works.

[quote name='wburdett' timestamp='1306627188' post='3269643']
[/quote]

great to hear so cool to have confident irons. Which ones do you have tours or forged. did your brother in law have the B stamp or just the retail tp's. I just bought both sets razr x forged and the r9 tp b's tour issue and they just both got here. No chance to hit yet but excited to do it.

Razr's are so good looking and tps have a great look at address. This will be interesting to see how it works.
[/quote]

I have the the Razr Tours, my brother in-law has Taylormade R9tp's i think he realizes his TP CG are not the same as the Razr's and that is what's causes the distance issues ;)

I just bought a set of thre R9TP's & they are a nice iron.When i bought them the RazorX Tours never even crossed my mind until after.They are a very good looking iron alsoHow do they compare to the R9TP's?I know that i'm going to demo a set soon,but i've only had the TP's for a week now & that would make 4 sets!!!!!:russian_roulette:

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

[quote name='MCCA' timestamp='1306631697' post='3269757']
[quote name='wburdett' timestamp='1306627188' post='3269643']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I have the the Razr Tours, my brother in-law has Taylormade R9tp's i think he realizes his TP CG are not the same as the Razr's and that is what's causes the distance issues ;)
[/quote]

The B's for the r9's are very different from the retail version as these were made for the tour so they smaller faces and thinner top lines probably closer to an AP2. The flighted CG of the razr x forged is a very nice feature in a forged blade as it shows the real improvement in the science of making forged clubs being able to disperse that weight in the center so more forgive and loft.

[quote name='MCCA' timestamp='1306631697' post='3269757']Well got out today after my son's baseball game. Shot 77 hit a lot of green the irons are solid, my driver sucked today :russian_roulette: . These are irons that IMHO are very very under rated. my brother in-law that is the same hcp as me 7 got TM R9 TP's last week asked why did i get these? well have betting him by 5 shots and i let him hit my wedge and his wedge. he's going to GG tomorrow to look at his options. keep in mind i had my 9 & pw bent back 1° and still hitting it abot 2 yards longer than my S57's with the same shafts in both DG S300's.
[/quote]
Nice to hear the RAZR X Tours are playing well for you MCAA. Your brother in law might be ditching his TaylorMade R9 TPs and picking up a set of RAZR X Tours for himself if you keep outplaying him :lol:

[quote name='tinman' timestamp='1306634539' post='3269838']
I just bought a set of thre R9TP's & they are a nice iron.When i bought them the RazorX Tours never even crossed my mind until after.They are a very good looking iron alsoHow do they compare to the R9TP's?I know that i'm going to demo a set soon,but i've only had the TP's for a week now & that would make 4 sets!!!!!:russian_roulette:
[/quote]
Sometimes you need to just say no tinman.
This is not one of those times :)

If you think you like the RAZR X Tour irons just by looking at them, wait until you demo them :D

[quote name='ubergoober' timestamp='1306637855' post='3269935']
Best reviews I have ever read!
[/quote]
Glad you're enjoying it all ubergoober. :good:

Got done with them the other week. Threw on some ferrules and installed some 5.5 Satin PXs and they are awesome!

[attachment=795488:diablos.jpg]

[attachment=795492:witb 2.jpg]

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

I got my new set of Razr X Tours in last week and wanted to share my findings here. I ordered these with Dynamic Gold S300 Standard LLL and with the stock Callaway grips ( LAmpkin I believe ). All I can say is WOW!!. These clubs were exactly what I've been loooking for. Extremely solid on feel, ball flight plenty high but easily maneuverable up + down, about 1/2-3/4 club longer than the R9 Tp's I was playing, and these things put the brakes on when they hit the green!!! Best of all, I can feel the weight of the clubhead through the entire swing. This will certainly help me with my tempo and allow me to become more of a "swinger" of the club than a "hitter" of the ball.

Another bonus to these clubs, they get up out of the rough extremely well. Had a shot on a par 4, ball rolled through fairway and was only about 5 inches in the rough but was in about 3 inches of thick bluegrass. Had about 168 to flag and 160 to front of green. Chose a 7-iron just to make sure I had some loft and was hoping I could get to the front with some roll. Ball flew out like off a tee, landed pin high and stoppped!!! 10 footer for birdie on a shot I was hoping to get up and down for par!!! The only negative I see for now is the stock grips. They feel a little slippery to me for now. Will probably change these to the Golf Pride Tour Velvet that I've played for years.

Callaway has really put out a great performing, great looking and great feeling set of irons here with these RAzr Tours and the whole Razr line IMHO. I don't know if I'd say these are the best Irons I ever hit after 1 round and 2 small range sessions, but they're real close.

I would like to send a special thanks out to Greek for his advise to some of my questions and again for doing the review that he did. He certainly helped sell at least one more of Callaway irons to a very satisfied customer.

Enjoy

DR

XR16 pro Kiyoshi White 60S
XR16 pro 16 Speeder 765s
Cleveland Launcher 21 Rifle 6.0
<br />2013 X Forged PXi 6.0 4-pw<br />MD chrome 50, MD Chrome 54, MD2 Slate 58<br />Versa BWB #1 W 34"

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1306935523' post='3277122']
Got done with them the other week. Threw on some ferrules and installed some 5.5 Satin PXs and they are awesome!

[attachment=795488:diablos.jpg]

[attachment=795492:witb 2.jpg]
[/quote]

Nice looking bag bubbagump. :clapping: And great job on the ferrules!

Enjoy those :diablo: Diablo Forged beasts!

[quote name='DMR2112' timestamp='1306936283' post='3277156']
I got my new set of Razr X Tours in last week and wanted to share my findings here. I ordered these with Dynamic Gold S300 Standard LLL and with the stock Callaway grips ( LAmpkin I believe ). All I can say is WOW!!. These clubs were exactly what I've been loooking for. Extremely solid on feel, ball flight plenty high but easily maneuverable up + down, about 1/2-3/4 club longer than the R9 Tp's I was playing, and these things put the brakes on when they hit the green!!! Best of all, I can feel the weight of the clubhead through the entire swing. This will certainly help me with my tempo and allow me to become more of a "swinger" of the club than a "hitter" of the ball.

Another bonus to these clubs, they get up out of the rough extremely well. Had a shot on a par 4, ball rolled through fairway and was only about 5 inches in the rough but was in about 3 inches of thick bluegrass. Had about 168 to flag and 160 to front of green. Chose a 7-iron just to make sure I had some loft and was hoping I could get to the front with some roll. Ball flew out like off a tee, landed pin high and stoppped!!! 10 footer for birdie on a shot I was hoping to get up and down for par!!! The only negative I see for now is the stock grips. They feel a little slippery to me for now. Will probably change these to the Golf Pride Tour Velvet that I've played for years.

Callaway has really put out a great performing, great looking and great feeling set of irons here with these RAzr Tours and the whole Razr line IMHO. I don't know if I'd say these are the best Irons I ever hit after 1 round and 2 small range sessions, but they're real close.

I would like to send a special thanks out to Greek for his advise to some of my questions and again for doing the review that he did. He certainly helped sell at least one more of Callaway irons to a very satisfied customer.

Enjoy

DR
[/quote]

Get used to those 10 footers for birdie DR. :D Sounds like you are definitely enjoying them. Good to hear! :good:

And thanks for the compliment as well, but as I said before, I'm not trying to sell these, ha, I'm just really am a big fan of Callaway, and had the opportunity to put together this comparative review, so did it.

I will say though that it does make the time put into it more worthwhile when someone like you, and others as well, tell me that it helped in their decisions or in questions they had about them.

Will enjoy hearing more as you get more rounds under your belt. As mentioned in a previous post, it's dried up here finally, so I'm going to be adding some on course pictures soon as well. Played 9 recently at Painesville Country Club and threw up 5 pars (3 to finish), but my achilles (inconsistency), also threw up a 7 on a par 3 :blush: which killed my score. But it was fun to be out there nonetheless.

People are swarming the golf courses here in Norhteast Ohio now that the rain has stopped. It's good to see.

Again, thanks for the update, and nice words, and keep that game going strong! The summer of 2011, now also known as the summer of DR :wub: his new RAZR X Tour irons! Haha.

This is one of the best reviews I've seen around here. Great information, great pics, and great comments. I agree that relative comparisons between the irons is the best way to go. Golf club selection in general, is so subjective, but I think most interested parties can take away a lot from your insight. Awesome work.

Btw, did you say what set you are currently playing with? Or at least, what your best performing set is? Just curious, thanks.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Quick question. I am in the market for some new irons, currently playing the X14's. I play to a 14, am 50 and have a swing speed of 76ish on my 6 iron, fwiw. I want to change to graphite because it is easier on my wrists.

Looking at the Razrx and the tours, hit both off a mat but not with the shafts that I want. ( I expect to get the Aldila VS85s).

Can anyone give me any insight into the differences between these two clubs on the course? I get solid numbers from each on the launch monitor, like the look of the tours but the feel of the regular razr.

Thanks for any insight.

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1307108529' post='3281974']
This is one of the best reviews I've seen around here. Great information, great pics, and great comments. I agree that relative comparisons between the irons is the best way to go. Golf club selection in general, is so subjective, but I think most interested parties can take away a lot from your insight. Awesome work.

Btw, did you say what set you are currently playing with? Or at least, what your best performing set is? Just curious, thanks.
[/quote]

Hey Puppetmaster, glad you're liking the review. My favorite irons remain the Diablo Forged irons. But since I'm giving this an ongoing review, I'm switching between sets. I'm now playing the RAZR X Tour irons.

In fact, had the RXTs in play today at a course called Hemlock Spings. Three of the par 3s are 180ish, and I took a smooth 4 iron to the green on each one, and stuck them all for legitimate birdie shots. The RXT long irons are pretty easy to hit as far as long irons go.

Also had some nice short iron approach shots as well. Overall as I said at the beginning, the RXTs will probably appeal to the most players since they do the most things well. Though I still prefer the DFs as my favorite, no doubt all are great sets.

[quote name='TheFatTick' timestamp='1307127072' post='3282713']
Quick question. I am in the market for some new irons, currently playing the X14's. I play to a 14, am 50 and have a swing speed of 76ish on my 6 iron, fwiw. I want to change to graphite because it is easier on my wrists.

Looking at the Razrx and the tours, hit both off a mat but not with the shafts that I want. ( I expect to get the Aldila VS85s).

Can anyone give me any insight into the differences between these two clubs on the course? I get solid numbers from each on the launch monitor, like the look of the tours but the feel of the regular razr.

Thanks for any insight.
[/quote]

TheFatTick, I haven't hit the RAZR X irons, so can't comment in great detail about those. Shot you a PM about general comparisons to you get started in the decision making process though. A few others here have hit both the RX and RXTs, so you might get some more help from them in terms of comparisons between the two. However if you hit both well, go with the set that you hit the fewest worst shots with. :D