2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2011 - 2012 CALLAWAY GOLF IRONS SHOOTOUT REVIEW

[quote name='wburdett' timestamp='1308922240' post='3332153']
[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1307319226' post='3286764']
[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1307108529' post='3281974']
This is one of the best reviews I've seen around here. Great information, great pics, and great comments. I agree that relative comparisons between the irons is the best way to go. Golf club selection in general, is so subjective, but I think most interested parties can take away a lot from your insight. Awesome work.

Btw, did you say what set you are currently playing with? Or at least, what your best performing set is? Just curious, thanks.
[/quote]

Hey Puppetmaster, glad you're liking the review. My favorite irons remain the Diablo Forged irons. But since I'm giving this an ongoing review, I'm switching between sets. I'm now playing the RAZR X Tour irons.

In fact, had the RXTs in play today at a course called Hemlock Spings. Three of the par 3s are 180ish, and I took a smooth 4 iron to the green on each one, and stuck them all for legitimate birdie shots. The RXT long irons are pretty easy to hit as far as long irons go.

Also had some nice short iron approach shots as well. Overall as I said at the beginning, the RXTs will probably appeal to the most players since they do the most things well. Though I still prefer the DFs as my favorite, no doubt all are great sets.
[/quote]

Thought I'd throw in some Razr forge updates. Lot of love for DF for sure and I haven't hit them so can't compare. I had a good range session strictly with irons yesterday as I was gaming the r9 tour b's I just got which are very nice but have played poorly lately not breaking 80 but once in last 6 rounds. Its got to be the arrow right?:))):rolleyes:

So want to give these a fair shot. I'm a 6 handicap and tend to go hard into the ball digging a bit. I haven't bought any new technology in my bag for about 8 yrs so this yr got the tour razr hawk for driver and now irons just for some background. Coming from RAC LT's 2003 irons and cobra driver 2006.

I used the 7 8 and 5 iron for the session and using 6.0 flighted PX shafts. By the way personally I think these clubs are just gorgeous look so good in the bag. I've never like Callaway clubs turned off from bertha and then big top line irons from way back so never looked at them. The forged do have a bit thick top line which has been discussed extensively but not so clunky effects the confidence.

These clubs have very little offset which is so very nice. No more worrying about the pull hook as so many clubs are offset quite a bit. The sole of this club is amazing the new camber and bounce are amazing for getting through the turf. I hit some shots I know I was steep and hit heavy but the club dug through and I ended up not losing much distance. I was shocked to see how ball flew after not best swing. These are definitely digger delights!

Started out with 8 iron and ball flight was very boring bit lower than other clubs but that's a good thing. Shots were quite straight and notice my draw was gone as shots just bee lined to target. That was very interesting as have to get used to no offset as I was setting up with neutral stance. Did start to play around with setup and boy you can really work the ball if you want to. I'm not one that typically does that much as no confidence there but I'll be practicing that more so I can take it to course as these clubs can perform.

The clubs have a nice soft feel and great feedback. The distance I was impressed but on a range hard to tell but felt like I was about 1/2 to 3/4 longer than my other irons as I'd hit same club and come short of the target I was going at yesterday.

7 iron had similiar impressions ball just seemed to stay in the air a long time with these clubs. Did I say how much I liked the boring flight? Very very nice trajectory little lower as expected and same turf interaction as some of my steep swings sent ball higher as it rode up face but still carried good distance.

I believe these have a flighted center of gravity so head sort of flights the ball for you as long irons CG is lower to get ball higher and vice versa. I was a bit concerened with flighted rifles interacting with this but they performed well.

5 iron was very interesting. It was very long and ball flight a bit lower than used to and curious to see how they'll hold greends. Ball came off like a shot with a little draw as felt easier to release the longer club. It was all over the target when I was aligned right. Alignment is my big bugaboo.

I'm gaming these today so will give a report back on how they do on course but these are some excellent clubs wonderful soft feel and fairly forgiving. Didn't have a lot of toe shots so will see how that holds up.

Hope this helps and love feedback
[/quote]

Good stuff wburdett! Sounds like you made the right choice. I'd definitely agree, these clubs pick the ball clean, and seem to be suited to your game. Looking forward to hearing more from your round this weekend.

[quote name='TheFatTick' timestamp='1308924537' post='3332255']
Have a arrival date of 6/28 for my RXT's with the Aldila graphite shafts. Getting pretty juiced up. And now I find out that TM is going to have the Spider in a ghost version! Looks like my bag is going to have a complete overhaul in the next few weeks.
[/quote]

:partytime2:

3 more days TFT! :yahoo:

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a little FYI for the Diablo Forged :diablo: irons fans in the thread. 2 possible wins on tour today for these irons, Fredrik Jacobson is using the Diablo Forged irons and leading going into the final round at Travelers. And Morgan Pressel is also using the DFs at Wegmans, and is in 2d place starting the final round. Viva la Diablo Forged baby! I'm heading out for 18 at Manakiki now so I can get back for tv coverage of the Diablo Forged irons, I mean, tournaments. :D

I have just purchased a set of legacy irons ( with GS 85 )
they are stupid easy to hit , and i love the feel and performance !
however i can't see the difference / diablo forged ?

I think that callaway is using almost the same head ?

very good set of irons

pat

Ping G 10,5 ADMT 6s

Callaway XR 16 Fuji 665 Evo 2 Ts

Honma 19 and 22 ° Vizard

Honma 737 V DGSL S 300

Honma 52 and 58 TW // SM6 52 and 58

Spider Tour DJ

[quote name='pat_1100' timestamp='1309094618' post='3336248']

very good set of irons

pat
[/quote]

I believe the Legacy are the Japan version of the DF. Just different graphics

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1309102959' post='3336489']

very good set of irons

pat
[/quote]

[/quote]

yes I agree .

Ping G 10,5 ADMT 6s

Callaway XR 16 Fuji 665 Evo 2 Ts

Honma 19 and 22 ° Vizard

Honma 737 V DGSL S 300

Honma 52 and 58 TW // SM6 52 and 58

Spider Tour DJ

[quote name='pat_1100' timestamp='1309112634' post='3336719']

very good set of irons

pat
[/quote]

[/quote]

yes I agree .
[/quote]

Hi Pat, I don't know for sure, but it's probably as bubba says, and as I've read elsewhere in various places. Nice pick up though! :good:

[quote name='Flashman' timestamp='1309099177' post='3336377']
[size="3"]Just curious if any one has noticed the simularities between the Diablo Forged and the X tour irons from 2005? They look alot alike and feel the same.[/size]
[/quote]
Flashman I haven't hit the X Tours from 2005 so can't comment on that directly. However the Diablo Forged and RAZR X Forged both give you generally a higher flight than the RAZR X Tours, if that helps. If you have specific questions about feel or flight or distance I can help you that as they relate to these newer irons. If you want to assume similarities between the 05 X Tours, and the RAZR X Tours, then comparions to the DF are at least be possible (but not exact of course). However I'm sure someone has hit the 05 X Tours and Diablo Forged though. I'm guessing maybe "golfware" has.

Today I had my first round out with my new Diablo Forged Euro spec irons. I wasn't hitting my driver for beans, but thankfully I was putting a good swing on my irons. To put it simply, I am in love with these irons. I have the Nippon 1100 shafts on them right now and they are working with my current swing speed perfectly. I am not yet attacking the ball, I am just working on tempo. These clubs I left the standard length, and had them bent 1° upright. Since these irons are 1/4 in over standard, i just left it at that to keep the swing weight the same. My only 981's were 1/2in over standard.

I am really happy with the D-2 swing weight, these clubs feel perfectly balanced.
I really went after one 4i tee shot. I got a nice draw out of it and it flew in the air about 190y, rolled out to about 200. I shocked myself there.
i was hitting the 7i right around 155y with my good tempo swing.
I can't express how happy I am with the feel of well hit shots. They just feel right, only they seem to explode off the face.
My ball flight with them is exactly what I was looking for. They start out to the higher side of mid, and raise up to a high ball flight. They don't balloon at all. The low irons do not go too high, and they really stick to the green.
I was hitting last years Diablo ball and a 7i from the fairway hit the green and rolled forward about 10 feet. I am sure with a softer cover ball the 7i with a good aggressive swing will stick no problem.
My usual miss is a thin shot. I caught one of these off a nice lie in the fairway. The ball hit the green where a it should, but since the thin hit it ran off the green and 10y past. So i was happy with that.

Thats about all I can think of now. I am really happy with my choice. Conditions today on the course were on the wet side, but not soaked. Since i got off first there was a layer of dew on everything.

Fredrik Jacobson winning yesterday with the Diablo Forged in his bag gave me all the confidence I needed today! HAHA

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[size="3"]Just curious if any one has noticed the simularities between the Diablo Forged and the X tour irons from 2005? They look alot alike and feel the same.[/size]
[/quote]

Well, imhgo, looks cam be deceiving. I've games the 2005 X Tours and currently game the Diablo Forged for nearly a year now.

Looks: the Diablo Forged is a tad bigger iron, with a more rounded leading edge and a tad bit more offset. Especially in the long irons. The X Tours are a lot more compact, with what seems like a thicker topline, which is hard to imagine given the smaller heel to toe.

Forgiveness: hands down the Diablo Forged. There's not even a question. I've had shots right off the toe with the DF's and they still turned out respectable. Can't say the same with the X Tours. As forgiving as the X Tours were, the DF's are a quantum leap ahead.

Distance: gained easily a full club. Easily. Yes, they have stronger lofts. However, I find that the PX Flighted with the DF's give me a perfect launch, spin and landing. My 7-iron is about 175 or so, and I would have to really go after it to get the X Tour 6 iron there.

Feel: quite a bit different. The X Tours have a much more muted sound and feel to them. Very sweet, but more muted. The DF's have a higher pitched "thwick" on well struck shots. I LOVE it. I know exactly what to listen for and feel on a well struck shot. With a Pro V1, it doesn't even feel like I hit the ball, then the ball explodes through the air. What a great feeling!

Well, hope this helps!

Thanks for thr response on the X tours. I play the DF and purchased a 9 iron in the x tour. They looked quite similar at address. From the top the the X tour hides its topline very well.I haven't hit the two outside side by side to see the differences yet. I thought they would make a inexpensive back up set.

[quote name='Flashman' timestamp='1309186667' post='3338490']
Thanks for thr response on the X tours. I play the DF and purchased a 9 iron in the x tour. They looked quite similar at address. From the top the the X tour hides its topline very well.I haven't hit the two outside side by side to see the differences yet. I thought they would make a inexpensive back up set.
[/quote]

They would, but to be honest, if you gamed the X Tour for a round, you'd just pick up another set of DF's. LOL....

You'll realy notice a difference in mid-long irons especially...

[quote name='Agent Jim' timestamp='1309180931' post='3338239']
Today I had my first round out with my new Diablo Forged Euro spec irons. I wasn't hitting my driver for beans, but thankfully I was putting a good swing on my irons. To put it simply, I am in love with these irons. I have the Nippon 1100 shafts on them right now and they are working with my current swing speed perfectly. I am not yet attacking the ball, I am just working on tempo. These clubs I left the standard length, and had them bent 1° upright. Since these irons are 1/4 in over standard, i just left it at that to keep the swing weight the same. My only 981's were 1/2in over standard.

I am really happy with the D-2 swing weight, these clubs feel perfectly balanced.
I really went after one 4i tee shot. I got a nice draw out of it and it flew in the air about 190y, rolled out to about 200. I shocked myself there.
i was hitting the 7i right around 155y with my good tempo swing.
I can't express how happy I am with the feel of well hit shots. They just feel right, only they seem to explode off the face.
My ball flight with them is exactly what I was looking for. They start out to the higher side of mid, and raise up to a high ball flight. They don't balloon at all. The low irons do not go too high, and they really stick to the green.
I was hitting last years Diablo ball and a 7i from the fairway hit the green and rolled forward about 10 feet. I am sure with a softer cover ball the 7i with a good aggressive swing will stick no problem.
My usual miss is a thin shot. I caught one of these off a nice lie in the fairway. The ball hit the green where a it should, but since the thin hit it ran off the green and 10y past. So i was happy with that.

Thats about all I can think of now. I am really happy with my choice. Conditions today on the course were on the wet side, but not soaked. Since i got off first there was a layer of dew on everything.

Fredrik Jacobson winning yesterday with the Diablo Forged in his bag gave me all the confidence I needed today! HAHA
[/quote]

Niiiiiiiiiiice Agent Jim! :yahoo:
And welcome to the Diablo Forged irons :diablo: family baby!

Flight, feel, forgiveness, and distance. Not surprised at all you're very happy with all of those. I've been saying this all along, and not to diminish the other irons, but the Diablo Forged are just such solid performers, and for just about everyone.

Yes, even a tour pro like Fredrik Jacobson :tease:

I played 18 holes with friends last night with the Diablo Forged.

The course was quite busy so we decided to play Stableford. My swing feels pretty inconsistent at the moment, as I'm working on a few changes. The good thing is that it's allowed me to see how forgiving the DF's are.

The majority of irons I hit weren't out of the middle, but they still ended up in reasonable positions. When I hit them out of the toe or a bit thin the ball ended up just off the green, giving me a decent chance to get up and down. My Razr X-Forged would have been a club short at least, and well to the right from the toe.

The Driver's normally a strong point of my game, but i'm having a hard time with it at the moment, so it mostly stayed in the bag on the front 9. Despite that I managed 20 Stableford points on the front 9 with not scoring on 1 hole, and 18 points on the back with 2 no-scores. The highlight was an 8 iron on the last, a short downhill par 3 with the wind in and right to left. It finished a foot from the hole. Interestingly it was the only shot to a green that I hit out of the middle.

For anyone looking for more forgiving clubs, but still looking to be able to work the ball and feel where they hit it I couldn't recommend trying these more. The one thing I will say is that they feel very different on the course than they do on the range (in a good way).

I've always been drawn to irons that I probably shouldn't be playing with, like Taylormade 300's, MP 60's, R7 TP's and the Razr X-Forged (although the last were meant to be the Razr X-Tours...I tried to be sensible). I've mostly managed ok with them because iron play has always been the strongest part of my game (I find a 3 iron much easier to hit than a 9 iron, probably due to some weird swing flaw!). I've never been able to play GI iron's because the offset doesn't fit my eye and my old tendency to hook. I just wish the DF's had been around years ago!

[quote name='Sarnia' timestamp='1309211109' post='3339771']I've never been able to play GI iron's because the offset doesn't fit my eye and my old tendency to hook. I just wish the DF's had been around years ago![/quote]
The DF is a GI club with offset - are you saying they play that much better than others?

[quote name='Raven Logics' timestamp='1309212601' post='3339845']
[quote name='Sarnia' timestamp='1309211109' post='3339771']I've never been able to play GI iron's because the offset doesn't fit my eye and my old tendency to hook. I just wish the DF's had been around years ago![/quote]
The DF is a GI club with offset - are you saying they play that much better than others?
[/quote]They look better to me. To my eye they have less offset in the mid and short irons than most GI irons, so they don't feel like they'll go left. So to me they do play better, although it's probably as much in my mind as anything.

A tiny bit off topic and I apologize, but can anyone gaming the Diablo Forged possibly compare these to Mizuno MX-23's if you've hit both? As far as feel, forgiveness and distance? I love the look of the Diablo forged (turning into a Callaway fanboy the last couple years it seems!) and I'm currently gaming the MX-23's which I love, but can't help but to constantly be looking at new sticks....

[quote name='Elite_Digger' timestamp='1309266757' post='3341682']
A tiny bit off topic and I apologize, but can anyone gaming the Diablo Forged possibly compare these to Mizuno MX-23's if you've hit both? As far as feel, forgiveness and distance? I love the look of the Diablo forged (turning into a Callaway fanboy the last couple years it seems!) and I'm currently gaming the MX-23's which I love, but can't help but to constantly be looking at new sticks....
[/quote]

I had the mx-25's & they were longer from heel to toe & i think had more offset.I'd definitely try the DF's & compare them against your irons.I went through alot of irons this yeay & the DF's are NOT going anywhere.To me they're the perfect blend of player/GI in an iron.

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

[quote name='Sarnia' timestamp='1309211109' post='3339771']
I played 18 holes with friends last night with the Diablo Forged.

The course was quite busy so we decided to play Stableford. My swing feels pretty inconsistent at the moment, as I'm working on a few changes. The good thing is that it's allowed me to see how forgiving the DF's are.

The majority of irons I hit weren't out of the middle, but they still ended up in reasonable positions. When I hit them out of the toe or a bit thin the ball ended up just off the green, giving me a decent chance to get up and down. My Razr X-Forged would have been a club short at least, and well to the right from the toe.

The Driver's normally a strong point of my game, but i'm having a hard time with it at the moment, so it mostly stayed in the bag on the front 9. Despite that I managed 20 Stableford points on the front 9 with not scoring on 1 hole, and 18 points on the back with 2 no-scores. The highlight was an 8 iron on the last, a short downhill par 3 with the wind in and right to left. It finished a foot from the hole. Interestingly it was the only shot to a green that I hit out of the middle.

For anyone looking for more forgiving clubs, but still looking to be able to work the ball and feel where they hit it I couldn't recommend trying these more. The one thing I will say is that they feel very different on the course than they do on the range (in a good way).

I've always been drawn to irons that I probably shouldn't be playing with, like Taylormade 300's, MP 60's, R7 TP's and the Razr X-Forged (although the last were meant to be the Razr X-Tours...I tried to be sensible). I've mostly managed ok with them because iron play has always been the strongest part of my game (I find a 3 iron much easier to hit than a 9 iron, probably due to some weird swing flaw!). I've never been able to play GI iron's because the offset doesn't fit my eye and my old tendency to hook. I just wish the DF's had been around years ago!
[/quote]

Niiiiiice Sarnia! It sounds like the Diablo Forged :diablo: irons are exactly what you were looking for, and everything you hoped they would be.

What's your opinion on turf interaction? Especially as between the RXFs and DFs? I still thinik the RXFs are best in this department, but the DFs are almost just as good.

Distance wise, I get more distance with the DFs than the RXFs (both on center hits and off center hits). I know you lost distance with the RXFs on off center hits. But what about when you flushed them? Can you compare distances between the two on solid hits?

In any event, as you know it's rare to find an iron that does everything we want and need it to, but it looks like you're the latest addition to a growing list of people who feel this way about their DFs. :victory:

Enjoy them friend!

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1309012293' post='3334586']
[quote name='wburdett' timestamp='1308922240' post='3332153']
[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1307319226' post='3286764']
[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1307108529' post='3281974']
This is one of the best reviews I've seen around here. Great information, great pics, and great comments. I agree that relative comparisons between the irons is the best way to go. Golf club selection in general, is so subjective, but I think most interested parties can take away a lot from your insight. Awesome work.

Btw, did you say what set you are currently playing with? Or at least, what your best performing set is? Just curious, thanks.
[/quote]

Hey Puppetmaster, glad you're liking the review. My favorite irons remain the Diablo Forged irons. But since I'm giving this an ongoing review, I'm switching between sets. I'm now playing the RAZR X Tour irons.

In fact, had the RXTs in play today at a course called Hemlock Spings. Three of the par 3s are 180ish, and I took a smooth 4 iron to the green on each one, and stuck them all for legitimate birdie shots. The RXT long irons are pretty easy to hit as far as long irons go.

Also had some nice short iron approach shots as well. Overall as I said at the beginning, the RXTs will probably appeal to the most players since they do the most things well. Though I still prefer the DFs as my favorite, no doubt all are great sets.
[/quote]

Thought I'd throw in some Razr forge updates. Lot of love for DF for sure and I haven't hit them so can't compare. I had a good range session strictly with irons yesterday as I was gaming the r9 tour b's I just got which are very nice but have played poorly lately not breaking 80 but once in last 6 rounds. Its got to be the arrow right?:))):rolleyes:

So want to give these a fair shot. I'm a 6 handicap and tend to go hard into the ball digging a bit. I haven't bought any new technology in my bag for about 8 yrs so this yr got the tour razr hawk for driver and now irons just for some background. Coming from RAC LT's 2003 irons and cobra driver 2006.

I used the 7 8 and 5 iron for the session and using 6.0 flighted PX shafts. By the way personally I think these clubs are just gorgeous look so good in the bag. I've never like Callaway clubs turned off from bertha and then big top line irons from way back so never looked at them. The forged do have a bit thick top line which has been discussed extensively but not so clunky effects the confidence.

These clubs have very little offset which is so very nice. No more worrying about the pull hook as so many clubs are offset quite a bit. The sole of this club is amazing the new camber and bounce are amazing for getting through the turf. I hit some shots I know I was steep and hit heavy but the club dug through and I ended up not losing much distance. I was shocked to see how ball flew after not best swing. These are definitely digger delights!

Started out with 8 iron and ball flight was very boring bit lower than other clubs but that's a good thing. Shots were quite straight and notice my draw was gone as shots just bee lined to target. That was very interesting as have to get used to no offset as I was setting up with neutral stance. Did start to play around with setup and boy you can really work the ball if you want to. I'm not one that typically does that much as no confidence there but I'll be practicing that more so I can take it to course as these clubs can perform.

The clubs have a nice soft feel and great feedback. The distance I was impressed but on a range hard to tell but felt like I was about 1/2 to 3/4 longer than my other irons as I'd hit same club and come short of the target I was going at yesterday.

7 iron had similiar impressions ball just seemed to stay in the air a long time with these clubs. Did I say how much I liked the boring flight? Very very nice trajectory little lower as expected and same turf interaction as some of my steep swings sent ball higher as it rode up face but still carried good distance.

I believe these have a flighted center of gravity so head sort of flights the ball for you as long irons CG is lower to get ball higher and vice versa. I was a bit concerened with flighted rifles interacting with this but they performed well.

5 iron was very interesting. It was very long and ball flight a bit lower than used to and curious to see how they'll hold greends. Ball came off like a shot with a little draw as felt easier to release the longer club. It was all over the target when I was aligned right. Alignment is my big bugaboo.

I'm gaming these today so will give a report back on how they do on course but these are some excellent clubs wonderful soft feel and fairly forgiving. Didn't have a lot of toe shots so will see how that holds up.

Hope this helps and love feedback
[/quote]

Good stuff wburdett! Sounds like you made the right choice. I'd definitely agree, these clubs pick the ball clean, and seem to be suited to your game. Looking forward to hearing more from your round this weekend.

[quote name='TheFatTick' timestamp='1308924537' post='3332255']
Have a arrival date of 6/28 for my RXT's with the Aldila graphite shafts. Getting pretty juiced up. And now I find out that TM is going to have the Spider in a ghost version! Looks like my bag is going to have a complete overhaul in the next few weeks.
[/quote]

:partytime2:

3 more days TFT! :yahoo:
[/quote]

Update on the Razr forge after 2 rounds of play. Working on my iron play as its been weak of late but my 2nd round out with them hit 12 of 18 greens and 77 with a double on par 3 where I got too aggressive (feeling my oats) and big mistake short side. The quick answer is these are best feeling clubs I've ever played. The club gives immediate feedback but not too harsh. Toe hits you know immediately but I 've found these to be pretty forgiving for a players club. The clubs flighting of a ball is perfect. I'm very pleased when playing them the boring trajectory and flight. Not hot and low or too high where wind gets at em. The ball comes off very nice and really holds its line which is just amazing.

I had a low punch out of trees and just found it very easy to get out of trouble ball. Sometimes recovery shots are hardest to play. I used a 7 back of stance and just a little draw came out perfect. The wedge is probably the one club not playing as well with and actually need to get the irons fit as there about .5 in short and a little flat for me.

The clubs do a great job cutting through the turf and feel that's a big advantage even out of rough I'm confident I can execute the shot. I'd say in general about .5 club longer than my other clubs which is fine. I know a lot of guys getting new clubs wanting and getting 1-2 clubs longer but I think you sacrifice performance when turning down the lie angles. These are pretty standard angles I believe.

Long irons are very nice to hit and that's a big plus the 5 iron for me is a solid 185 carry now where before that would be my total distance. The rollout is more controlled too. I don't want my irons rolling out a bunch as really defeats purpose unless I want to hit low running shot .

I had about 4 shots inside of 8 feet for birdie from 150 to 100 in so scoring irons really perform well.

I'd have to say all in all these are some really great clubs and good looking in the bag.

[quote name='Sarnia' timestamp='1309245501' post='3341275']
[quote name='Raven Logics' timestamp='1309212601' post='3339845']
[/quote]They look better to me. To my eye they have less offset in the mid and short irons than most GI irons, so they don't feel like they'll go left. So to me they do play better, although it's probably as much in my mind as anything.
[/quote]
The offset is the one thing putting me off - maybe I should give them a try when I am next near my local golf store. I keep on wondering what the next progression from the X-Tours would be, and as drawn as I am to the RXF I really need something a little more forgiving than what I have already.

I am playing the project x 6.0 flighted shafts. The irons are also 1* upright. I have been through so many sets of irons and I couldn't be happier with these. I have no problem getting the ball in the air. Most of it is a mental thing for me, I prefer the look of a players iron vs a sgi iron but I still need some forgiveness. These are the best of both worlds. The bounce in these things are great and clean contact seems almost automatic. Hopefully this honeymoon lasts!!!!

[quote name='Bayou Hacker' timestamp='1309366327' post='3345596']
I am playing the project x 6.0 flighted shafts. The irons are also 1* upright. I have been through so many sets of irons and I couldn't be happier with these. I have no problem getting the ball in the air. Most of it is a mental thing for me, I prefer the look of a players iron vs a sgi iron but I still need some forgiveness. These are the best of both worlds. The bounce in these things are great and clean contact seems almost automatic. Hopefully this honeymoon lasts!!!!
[/quote]

Good to hear you're hitting them well Bayou. And I'm not surprised you get good launch with them. They have the highest lofts of the irons in the review. And the PX Flighted (at least the 5.5 I hit), launched only slightly lower than the Nippon 990s (which are mid to mid high launch for me), and believe it or not, actually had the same to slightly more spin. If you're getting good launch, clean contact, and forgiveness with them, how can the honeymood not last? :) Enjoy them man!

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1309175438' post='3338103']
[quote name='pat_1100' timestamp='1309112634' post='3336719']

very good set of irons

pat
[/quote]

[/quote]

yes I agree .
[/quote]

Hi Pat, I don't know for sure, but it's probably as bubba says, and as I've read elsewhere in various places. Nice pick up though! :good:

[/quote]
Flashman I haven't hit the X Tours from 2005 so can't comment on that directly. However the Diablo Forged and RAZR X Forged both give you generally a higher flight than the RAZR X Tours, if that helps. If you have specific questions about feel or flight or distance I can help you that as they relate to these newer irons. If you want to assume similarities between the 05 X Tours, and the RAZR X Tours, then comparions to the DF are at least be possible (but not exact of course). However I'm sure someone has hit the 05 X Tours and Diablo Forged though. I'm guessing maybe "golfware" has.
[/quote]

There is a difference between the DF irons and the Legacy JDM iron. The Legacy head weight is lighter and the cavity is filled with a rubber insert to dampen feel. I don't know why the JDM release would have something to dampen feel.

Anyhow, the new version of the Legacy is out in Japan. From my readings on this new Legacy iron, it does not have the 455 Carpenter Steel face that the current DF irons have. So the next generation of the DF will be different. I guess I'm going to have to buy a back-up set of the current DF irons soon.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

TaylorMade Qi10 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Fujikura Ventus TR Blue FW 65 R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

Well I took the X Tours out for a comparision with the Diablo Forged. Granted the X Tours had Steelfibers and the DF's had Uniflex. You guys really hit the nail on the head. There was not of that "soft " feel that the DF's had with the X Tours. They felt very dead is the only way to descibe them. They did not feel forged at all. The one problem that I am running into here in Houston is the hardpan ground and the wide soles of the DF. I guess I'll keep the challengers coming while the DF stay in the bag.Next up

$(KGrHqN,!h8E3Oef(tcjBO!uZiSLyQ~~_14.JPG

I tried the Razr X-forged at a Callaway demo day and they were really easy to hit compared to to my Nike VR Splits. All the mis-hits that i'd feel and see with my Nikes really carried with the Callaways and didn't have the harsh feedback.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

There is a difference between the DF irons and the Legacy JDM iron. The Legacy head weight is lighter and the cavity is filled with a rubber insert to dampen feel. I don't know why the JDM release would have something to dampen feel.

Thanks for that info Goldenhawk, I don't think too many people knew that. :good:

Well I took the X Tours out for a comparision with the Diablo Forged. Granted the X Tours had Steelfibers and the DF's had Uniflex. You guys really hit the nail on the head. There was not of that "soft " feel that the DF's had with the X Tours. They felt very dead is the only way to descibe them. They did not feel forged at all. The one problem that I am running into here in Houston is the hardpan ground and the wide soles of the DF. I guess I'll keep the challengers coming while the DF stay in the bag.Next up

$(KGrHqN,!h8E3Oef(tcjBO!uZiSLyQ~~_14.JPG

Flashman, I think you're in good shape with the Diablo Forged :diablo: irons. I don't play on ground like you have down in Houston, but I have no problem hitting the DF's off tight hard lies here in Ohio. And many others in this thread who play the DF's also have mentioned hitting off tight lies is pretty easy.

The RAZR X Forged, and RAZR X Muscleback irons have thinner soles than the DFs, and probably play better for diggers (where I see the DF's being used well by both diggers and sweepers). And the RXF's and RXMB's have more bounce of course as well, and get some nice divots with them (particularly with the MB's). But I think the DF's, even with wider soles, should be ok where you play because they have very low bounce.

On the other hand if thinner soles is something you really want, the RXF's and RXMB's let you clip the ball cleanly from tight lies, even with the higher bounce. And I'm sure anyone else who's hit these or is playing these will tell you the same thing. So if you're looking for challengers, and have a chance to demo those, I'd certainly give them a shot. :D

I tried the Razr X-forged at a Callaway demo day and they were really easy to hit compared to to my Nike VR Splits. All the mis-hits that i'd feel and see with my Nikes really carried with the Callaways and didn't have the harsh feedback.

Sounds like it might be time to trade in those VRs then and jump on the better feeling RXFs BottleCap. :yes: