One Plane Swing Question

hillster32

Feeling Shut...
I don't know where this question fits in the many One Plane discussions here but....

I am an athletic 5 and I have I have been working with the one plane swing for some time now with some success. I used to be a drawer of the golf ball. The hardest thing for me seems to be the "feel" of the one plane swing as compared to more traditional swings. My problem is that it just feels wrong! (Although my ballflight would emphatically suggest otherwise!) I have a hard time committing to the swing because I feel "shut" and "over the top" on the downswing. I actually have no idea how I do not hit hard ground balls down the third base line. When I commit.. I kill it with a very slight fade. I have actually never felt impact like I feel with this swing! But it is so hard to commit when there is trouble left.

My question is:

Does Anybody else feel this shut-over-the-top feeling? Should I be feeling this?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where this question fits in the many One Plane discussions here but....

I am an athletic 5 and I have I have been working with the one plane swing for some time now with some success. I used to be a drawer of the golf ball. The hardest thing for me seems to be the "feel" of the one plane swing as compared to more traditional swings. My problem is that it just feels wrong! (Although my ballflight would emphatically suggest otherwise!) I have a hard time committing to the swing because I feel "shut" and "over the top" on the downswing. I actually have no idea how I do not hit hard ground balls down the third base line. When I commit.. I kill it with a very slight fade. I have actually never felt impact like I feel with this swing! But it is so hard to commit when there is trouble left.

My question is:

Does Anybody else feel this shut-over-the-top feeling? Should I be feeling this?

Shut, laid-off and over-the-top are all common, and desired, feelings in a Hardy one-plane swing. If you are a 5 index that is committed to the one-plane swing, do yourself a big favor and invest in Hardy's dvd set. If you don't like it, you can return it for a full refund. However, my bet is that you will find it to be the best $99 you ever spent on golf.

hillster,

I've watched Hardy's DVD set. In it he states that in a correct one plane swing you will feel like you're coming over the top. I can't remember in which section he addresses this, but I want to say it's near the end. I remember that because I always strived to not feel like I'm coming over the top, just like you. So it sounds like you are doing it correctly. And I wouldn't argue with your results! Hope this helps.

My question is:

Shut, laid-off and over-the-top are all common, and desired, feelings in a Hardy one-plane swing. If you are a 5 index that is committed to the one-plane swing, do yourself a big favor and invest in Hardy's dvd set. If you don't like it, you can return it for a full refund. However, my bet is that you will find it to be the best $99 you ever spent on golf.

Bingo, only thing I can add is that you must trust that as long as you retain your spine angle you can not come over the top with the one plane swing. Since you are bent over, the club is delivered on plane and around your body although it may "feel" over the top.

Keep feeling it, it's a good thing! :cheesy:

You are probably leaning onto the front of your feet, which is a no-no in any type of swing. You are automatically over the top and it is much more difficult to swing from this unbalanced position. Try setting up with your balance on your heels.

Most of the teachers of the one-plane-swing advocate weight centered on the feet or even on the balls for address. However, I agree that shifting weight forward during the swing, even if due do rotational forces can be detrimental.

BJ

You're correct, BJ. In fact, teachers of all types of swings recommend the weight be centered or on the balls of the feet, but I strongly disagree. The human body is built so as to be in a balanced state when it is standing erect over the legs and this position puts the balance on the heels. Any shift forward is an unbalanced state. Rotation, which is the most important element in the golf swing, is much easier when the body is balanced.

LP

...Does Anybody else feel this shut-over-the-top feeling? Should I be feeling this?...

Yes! You're supposed to be square to closed. If you set up properly; take it back properly; and fire through fast and to the left you'll feel over the top, but in actuality you can't swing over the top even if you try. That's why you get the desired ballflight "I kill it with a very slight fade."

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

The one plane swing advocates a flatter posture, which would make keeping wieght over the heels very awkward. However, since the takeaway is an around the body, and not straight back lateral motion, it feels like you are shut when it is actually square. When I first switched to one plane, I felt like I was taking it back square, and was atually rolling it open. The shut feeling it correct, but I disagree that you would need to keep weight on the heels to prevent starting down over the top.

Just my opinion.

Hardy does not speak to weight distribution from heel-to-toe, that I recall, but one of his associates recommended to me that the weight be centered just ahead of the ankles at address, then move to the right heel in the backswing and stay on the heels through the finish.

Interesting, one of his associates is constantly getting me off my heels with more weight on the balls of my feet. . . :idhitit:

This is an interesting topic, because it's one where I've yet to hear a firm answer from Hardy. I'm sure a lot of personal preference and body mechanics are involved, but I know that when I get too close to the ball and get too much weight on my heels I start hitting the heel of the club (with the occasional shaft thrown in for good measure) and my swing gets a hair too shallow. Getting more "on my toes" straightens that right out.

Hardy does not speak to weight distribution from heel-to-toe, that I recall, but one of his associates recommended to me that the weight be centered just ahead of the ankles at address, then move to the right heel in the backswing and stay on the heels through the finish.

Interesting, one of his associates is constantly getting me off my heels with more weight on the balls of my feet. . . :idhitit:

That's right; another of his colleagues I see says to center and keep the weight on the balls of the feet. One of the very few areas where the Hardy crew deviates...

I also start getting into trouble if my weight drifts back to my heels, but if you try to take it back on one plane, and keep to upright of a posture (which is what weight on the heels does to me) , there will definately be a tendency to come over the top, since you will have flattened the plane, and will start back too far inside for an upright posture.

If you could keep a flatter spine angle while staying on balance on your heels, you might be ok. But seemingly it would not feel very athletic??

Reveiwing my notes from dvd's--------the "shut " feeling is the clubface staying "square to the arc"----ie the hula hoop drill by Mike Labuave.

The One plane swing as described by Hardy is a very athletic swing......he instructs to bend over as if you are going to eat food off a table w/o using hands.....ie weight fwd in a athletic stance, but able to get wt to front foot............he cited hogan as leaving wt. on left leg during an entire swing.....

The baseball---ie fastball throwing motion, coming off the "lawnmower pull" backswing was my aahhaa moment..... compression

Would someone please post a link to purchase Hardy's DVD set?

All I seem to find is the book.

Thanks!

Here you go:

http://www.planetruthforgolfers.com/store/

The DVD's are excellent, much better at explaining and visualizing the feelings required for the one and two plane swings that Mr. Hardy advocates.

Hope that helps!

I am a two planer considering a shift to a one plane based on some tinkering on the range. I have not read the book or seen the DVD, but my understanding is that you bend over more, have a stronger grip, and take the club back way inside so that your left bicep is against your chest at all times. I take dead aim at the back of the ball and hit straight down on it. On the range with my irons, I tend to make solid contact in the center of the clubface far more often. Ball flight is lower, probably due to less hands and a shallower plane. My miss tends to be a slight hook if anything but almost always good contact. No thin shots, fat shots or shanks. I tried to hit a few drivers today and found it difficult, although the tee was slightly higher than i am used too. Do I understand the principles correctly? Anyone else have a similar experience?

I am a two planer considering a shift to a one plane based on some tinkering on the range. I have not read the book or seen the DVD, but my understanding is that you bend over more, have a stronger grip, and take the club back way inside so that your left bicep is against your chest at all times. I take dead aim at the back of the ball and hit straight down on it. On the range with my irons, I tend to make solid contact in the center of the clubface far more often. Ball flight is lower, probably due to less hands and a shallower plane. My miss tends to be a slight hook if anything but almost always good contact. No thin shots, fat shots or shanks. I tried to hit a few drivers today and found it difficult, although the tee was slightly higher than i am used too. Do I understand the principles correctly? Anyone else have a similar experience?

My best reccomendation to you would be to find an instructor in your area who as been through one (or more) of Mr. Hardy's seminars. That's the best way to make sure you're on the right track.

If that's not a possiblity, I'd really encourage you to pick up the DVD's over the book. They're well worth the money if you're serious about making the switch since they visually show you all the nuances of the one plane swing.

With that said I've got some advice for you as someone who aspires to be a one planer.

There's a higherarchy to the swing.

1. Your posture is the most important thing, if you can't establish a good spine angle and maintain it throughout the swing, you'll never recover
  2. Your shoulders are the next most important thing, they must work AROUND your spine, it may feel a little over the top at first, but it's not.
  3. Your arms are the next most important thing, if they don't stay close to your body and if you can't keep the right elbow up and behind you won't have consistently good contact
  4. The club is the least important thing, if all the previous items come through correctly, so will the club.

Remember the Hardy 1PS is a POSITION swing, make sure you find out what those positions are and how to get into them consistently, that will make your transition a much easier process.

Hope that helps.