2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

If your curious about the R7 Draw...

VAN59

You can't buy a fade with this thing... I play to a 4 from the tips. My swing is pretty good, but I love to sample every club I can just, well, because I can. I was putting my banana swing on the ball with this club ( which may have been a mistake,lol ) and all I could get was about a two yard fade. Switched back over to my normal driver, nike tour SQ and was hitting 35-50 yard slices. So in my opnion if you have a problem with it going right, I think Taylormade may have your answer. Just a note, I do not even like Taylormade stuff and I am actually recommending it....

I had to come back to edit this because I did slice one, I jsut had to open it up like a wedge playing a flop shot to get it done....

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just by virtue of the name and what it was made for it HAD to be closed. That being said, it is really the answer for many people who want a quick fix to thier slice problem I would think. If there is a person who slices badly and is very frustrated with the game this could make it enjoyable for them again or finally. Just not for the player who wants sqaure.

PS: Holy SH!T THATS CLOSED!!!!

Let me re phrase my quote. It does not appear to set up closed. I went back down into my garage and looked at the thing, and in my opnion it does not set up closed, if it is it is not much at all. That is what I am talking about, not a picture, the actual club in my hands. Note: I do know my golf equiptment and I wrote this just incase there are people out there that have a problem slicing the driver or a confidence issue. I do agree that someone who slices the golf ball has some swing flaws, but I have played with people who have been playing for 10 or more years and they still slice but they enjoy the game so they keep coming back to play. That is what it is really about, the game so if this club helps someone go from slicing to a slight fade or straight ball, in my opinion it is worth it. would I use it in my bag, no it does not help my game.

Thanks. I'm actually hoping the club is really closed. I try to take the right hand side of the fairway out because I draw my irons, so I'm always interested in draw biased drivers. I might have to get one and see for myself.

Cheers

Steve

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

In my opinion, you guys shouldn't put too much stock in a driver photo against a white background, because it has absolutely nothing to to with how the driver actually sits.

For example, if you take out your current driver and hold it directly in front of you like you are looking down the barrel of a rifle, you have the ability to rotate the head 360 degrees around the shaft. This is essentially the same as looking at a driver photo against a white background. Since there is nothing for the sole of the club to sit against, it prevents it from coming to rest as it would in address position.

A driver's face angle can only be determined when the club's sole contacts the ground. Sole geometry, internal weighting, the face profile, even the masking line of the crown paint can affect how the driver sits, in addition to the face angle...... but don't get me wrong, the face angle is definitely an important part of the equation.

The only things top view driver photos are really good for are evaluating the top profile of the club, and the shape of the face. The best ways to evaluate face angle are: 1. see for yourself, in person. 2. ask someone who has already done #1, and see what they say. 3. see if you can get a photo of the driver while it is soled. Tiles or cement provide the best backgrounds, because you can judge the face angle in relation to the shaft axis and the relationship to the ground by using the cracks as a grid.

This is just my opinion.... I'm not saying how this particular club sits, but I'm pretty sire it isn't 45 degrees closed as it looks. I hope this helps someone out in the future...

cheers.

V62, interesting report. I'm curious more than anything else... When you hit it with your normal (good) swing, what does the ball flight look like? Is it a giant draw? What sort of distances do you get with this vs. your regular driver?

A club like this would do me no good at all. I'm going the other way (seem to not be able to match up upper and lower body timing well with driver, which means arms are a little ahead, therefore over the top, but it's a consistent pull to the left for me instead of a slice). What caught my eye about your report was that I tried out a HiBore and once I found the right combo for me (10.5 with V2), I find that it only hits straight, even with swings that I know aren't right (you do still pay in distance then). It's amazing what technology can do, although my overall distance still sucks enough that I'm not going to stop working on my swing any time soon.

On a normal swing it just goes left, if I put a draw swing on it, it pulls then hooks. Not a club for myself either but is great for someone that slices. I let a friend today hit it that could not even get close to finding the fairway normally and he was poking it out there, I would say 250 carry, where before he was maybe getting 225-230, though his club he was playing was old technology.. Put it this away, I had an off day but the first hole I let him try it on I told him to swing as hard as he could and he put it past myine by about 20 yards,lol. I was pissed. But I was not hitting the ball well today, squeezed out a 78 from the tips and that was grinding. If I try to work it any way but a hard fade then I would be in trouble. The Tour Sq or 905R are the ones I take to the course. Distance with it was good considering it comes off more like a nuckle ball for me. It is almost like you are hitting it straight but getting the distance you would when you pull a shot, if that makes sense. The shaft in it is only 55 grams, .350 tip, and has a D0 swing weight, which I really like but for my swing speed, 108, it led to inconsistant trajectory for me, not bad though, just wevery now and then I would hit it a little higher than I wanted. I think you, in the near future, will hear good things from people who have a normal slice.

In my opinion, you guys shouldn't put too much stock in a driver photo against a white background, because it has absolutely nothing to to with how the driver actually sits.

The pic is from taylormade. It is how the driver looks. but what do they know they only designed & built the thing. I have set the club down & it is as shut as the pictures. If you have a 7 degree forward press, then it may appear squareish, but square it is not. This is not bashing V63. It is a driver that is made to hook. It will have a shut face.

Hey, to my eye the r7 460 sets up closed but what shocked me is that even the 460 TP seems closed. Not as much but still closed. To me the 425TP is square but NOT the 460TP. Anyone agree?

I find the "turbo jets" on the 460 make it sit closed. Hold the 460 square in the air then place it down. It will be square but when you loosen your grip and let the club "sit" the place where the weights are make the club close down.