Ping problem and my worst nightmare

liptrot

I ordered a set of i5's plus 1/4 inch. I didn't check them when they first came in as I assumed, incorrectly of course, that with their reputation for customization everything would be to spec. I then noticed they seemed a little short. Turns out they were minus 1/4 inch. I checked the order and the documentation that came with the clubs and everything stated plus 1/4. Well, Ping tried to do the right thing and offered overnight service both ways to fix them. FedEx picked the clubs up from my buddies shop and now has no idea where they are. Tracking only has the initial pickup. The worst part is that I am flying to Pittsburgh to play Oakmont on Wed. I've been trying for three years to set this up and now I have to take my backup set. I appreciate Ping's efforts to do the right thing but if they built them right in the first place I wouldn't be in this position. Nice quality control. Sorry, I just needed to vent.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Happens with all custom dept. Titleist, Callaway, Mizuno, Ping, etc. They do so many clubs that sometimes things fall through the cracks...

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Was it a "Tour Hat"...kidding.

Sorry he had an issue. Whenever I deal with something like this, I always call the manufacturer and talk to them about it to make sure. I usually make several calls....and I am sure they think I am a pain...but have not run into a similar issue (knock on wood).

Bottom line is that they should get it correct if they expect us to pay big $ for clubs....no excuse. I am sure he feels differently about the manufacturer now and that will come into play when he makes his next purchase.

Everyone scews up one in a while. We ordered a r7xd AW for a customer. The rest of the set was +1 1/2 inches and when they made the AW it was that much shorter so it looked like a 7 year olds club. It was just cracking me up just looking at it saying what idiots would do that.

Last week we had a store ship a pair of US Kids shoes to our store, but we never got them so we called UPS and they said they were on a loading dock somewhere. After 2 days of trying to find them they said they got delivered about 15 miles from us and no one could even find the place. The shoes were for a kids Bday but it was funny that they couldnt find where they delivered them to.

I do blame Fedex though if the clubs were right in the first place this never would have happened. The only issue with Ping is that one of their biggest sales pitches is their cusomization and fitting.

I would love to know what the failure rate is for these overnight shippers. My guess is close to 20%.

This probably isn't the case in this situation, but...ping's standard length is 1/4" shorter than almost every other manufacturer, so + 1/4" would end up being standard for most equipment manufacturers. I'm not saying that this was the problem with your set, but it might help others who are ordering Ping irons in the future.

Matt

This probably isn't the case in this situation, but...ping's standard length is 1/4" shorter than almost every other manufacturer, so + 1/4" would end up being standard for most equipment manufacturers. I'm not saying that this was the problem with your set, but it might help others who are ordering Ping irons in the future.

Matt

Ping's "standard" 5 iron length for the i5 is 37.75". This is the same "standard" as MOST manufacturers these days. About the only manufacturer I can think of who has a 38" standard for their 5 iron is Titleist/Cobra/Asuchnet.

Wish me luck. I'm sending my i5's in to be re-shafted and will be requesting +1/4" on the length. :idhitit:

Matt

Ping's "standard" 5 iron length for the i5 is 37.75". This is the same "standard" as MOST manufacturers these days. About the only manufacturer I can think of who has a 38" standard for their 5 iron is Titleist/Cobra/Asuchnet.

Wish me luck. I'm sending my i5's in to be re-shafted and will be requesting +1/4" on the length. :idhitit:

There's a lot of variation even within manufacturer's lines, but Titleist/Cobra (as you pointed out), Callaway, Taylormade, and Nike all have irons where the standard length is 1/4" longer than Ping's standard.

I know it was a bit of a threadjack since (as I originally said, it probably didn't apply to your specific situation), but I thought it might help to point out the difference for others so that they can make sure similar problems don't happen to them.

Good luck at Oakmont.

Matt