Oakley prizm golf versus gray polarized (RX)

Hey everyone.  So I have two pair of Flak 2.0 frames, one with gray polarized, the other with prizm golf (the og, not the dark), both are prescription lenses.  I wear the prizm golf almost exclusively for golf.  For whatever reason, lately I've been having trouble tracking the ball.  Maybe my eyes have gotten more sensitive to the light, but I find myself squinting a bit because of the glare (prizm golf are not polarized, apparently because that's better for golf, reading greens, etc.).  I decided to wear the gray polarized yesterday just to try them out and it made a big difference in terms of cutting down on the glare and being able to track the ball.  That said, they were a little dark (I believe they are 18% VLT, whereas the Prizm golf are around 30%).

A few questions:

(1)  Is there an Oakley polarized lens that's a little lighter than the gray polarized that I could wear for early morning rounds?

(2)  I know people say that polarized lenses are not good for golf because they don't allow you to read which way the grain is growing on greens, but to be honest, I've never been able to read grain anyway, polarized, non-polarized or no sunglasses at all.

(3)  If Oakley doesn't have anything that meets the above criteria, is there a different brand of sunglasses that might be better for me in terms of a lighter polarized lens?

Thanks for the help.

Posted (edited)

Yes, a polarized lens will cut down on glare. However, you do not want a polarized lens for reading greens! I don't know Oakley's specs for the Golf but other manufacturers recommend non-polarized for golf. YMMV.

I've been all over the map trying out sunglasses for golf. A friend had a pair of SALT sunglasses that blew me away. I ordered a pair only to find out hers were unpolarized. Hmmm $500 later and have sent them back to have the correct lenses installed. GolfMonthly.com recently posted a cross section of recommended sunglasses. There are some really great ones that won't break the bank - try Amazon. I got a pair of Tifosi which work pretty well for less than $30.

Edited by JohnBrew
addition
  • Like 2

I just know that PRIZM works with heads up display in my car and polarized do not.

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

I have prizm golf but at 30% VLT, they seem a little too light.  I’ve had them for 5 years and have liked them, but I need a change.  I know polarized is not needed for golf but all of my rounds are early morning and the sun reflects off the water and the dew on the ground.  I see that there are several polarized options now for prizm that weren’t available 5 years ago.  Just wondering if anyone has tried them for golf. 

My concern with prizm dark golf is that they might be too dark for early morning rounds.  

9 minutes ago, e-man said:

I have prizm golf but at 30% VLT, they seem a little too light.  I’ve had them for 5 years and have liked them, but I need a change.  I know polarized is not needed for golf but all of my rounds are early morning and the sun reflects off the water and the dew on the ground.  I see that there are several polarized options now for prizm that weren’t available 5 years ago.  Just wondering if anyone has tried them for golf. 

My concern with prizm dark golf is that they might be too dark for early morning rounds.  

Try the prizm field baseball lenses. I use them for golf. I play as early as possible and have nothing but good things to say about them. they are also great all day lenses. 

• Like 1

The polarized will certainly help with the early morning reflections, but what you probably need is a low light transmission polarized lens.   Or take the glasses on/off depending on how you're facing the sun.

I've had the G30s and now the prizm.   I too have some trouble tracking the ball, but I suspect it's more due to age as well as the compromises with my use of monovision contact lenses.

I have the dark Prizm Golf lenses for golf and polarized tan lenses for fishing. I started out using the golf lenses for golf but I thought when it was really bright I felt my eyes a little strained from the brightness and glare. I've switched over to my polarized glasses and use them for golf. I can't say I have noticed any difference reading greens or hitting the ball. I feel less eye strain wearing my polarized glasses. 

When I first made the switch I would take my glasses off when I putted. Now I leave them on. Taking them off or leaving them on I can't say I putt any better one way or the other. 

Oakley has quite a few different lens colors and options.I would think my tan lenses would be lighter for you.

I recently scored a pair of Oakley Flak 2.0 Xl glasses at the Goodwill for $3.49 in a Tifosi case. They had prescription lenses in them so I couldn't wear them. I bought a pair of gold and a pair of fire Walleva polarized lenses that are made for the Oakley frames. A cheap experiment for $15.99 for each pair of lenses. I have been wearing them for golf and I don't see much of a difference wearing them. Too bad you need a prescription. I wear contacts so I can wear any pair of my sunglasses.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, fjk said:

A lot of people say not to use polarized lenses for reading greens but I haven't had any issue with it. I think it's become overblown and people just pass on the same info.

Maybe it depends on your grass type. Just flip up the glasses worst case scenario...

I've had Oakley sunglasses for years since I was playing HS baseball. I wear daily Holbrook Mix with Prizm Polarized shallow water lenses and love them. For everyday use and driving, I want polarized. I don't own any non-polarized lenses from Oakley with the exception of Prizm Golf. I have about 10 other pairs of lenses. I have Flak 2.0 frames along with Fast Jackets and had the previous version of Flak Jacket, all used on golf. Early on using the Flak Jacket before Oakley made a golf lens, I used Black Polarized lenses. they were too dark, even on bright days to help with anything and didn't have good depth of field to read any greens. The glare on the blades of grass was noticeable cut down to see any breaks. I did remove my glasses after realizing it didn't help so I was ok.

Since then, I've gotten the golf lenses for my Flak Jacket and Fast Jacket which was the G30 lenses. then since getting the new Flak 2.0, I've been using the Golf Prizm lenses. Although I've been wanting to get the Prizm Field for brighter days since they're the same base color as the golf but darker lenses. 

I've been a believer that the Polarized effects me and how I view the course. I don't have to remove my sunglasses anymore, even when putting. 

of course, YMMV.

Edited by Yanki01

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

47 minutes ago, Yanki01 said:

I've had Oakley sunglasses for years since I was playing HS baseball. I wear daily Holbrook Mix with Prizm Polarized shallow water lenses and love them. For everyday use and driving, I want polarized. I don't own any non-polarized lenses from Oakley with the exception of Prizm Golf. I have about 10 other pairs of lenses. I have Flak 2.0 frames along with Fast Jackets and had the previous version of Flak Jacket, all used on golf. Early on using the Flak Jacket before Oakley made a golf lens, I used Black Polarized lenses. they were too dark, even on bright days to help with anything and didn't have good depth of field to read any greens. The glare on the blades of grass was noticeable cut down to see any breaks. I did remove my glasses after realizing it didn't help so I was ok.

Since then, I've gotten the golf lenses for my Flak Jacket and Fast Jacket which was the G30 lenses. then since getting the new Flak 2.0, I've been using the Golf Prizm lenses. Although I've been wanting to get the Prizm Field for brighter days since they're the same base color as the golf but darker lenses. 

I've been a believer that the Polarized effects me and how I view the course. I don't have to remove my sunglasses anymore, even when putting. 

of course, YMMV.

Agree experiences are variable. But to me, I think the color contrast offers a lot more than the polarization affects.

Meaning, if Prizm Golf were polarized I think they would perform far better than a gray non-polarized pair.

We'll never know, since they dont make a Prizm Golf polarized, but competitor's (or Oakley's other) high-contrast lenses that are polarized aren't a big deal to me. The glare doesnt really affect my green reading.

Thanks for all the responses.  

So if I wanted to get an Oakley polarized lens to use for golf that would cut down on glare and still provide enough contrast to see the ball, what would that be?  It sounds like the field lens would be best for ball tracking, but that lens isn’t polarized. 

1 hour ago, e-man said:

Thanks for all the responses.  

So if I wanted to get an Oakley polarized lens to use for golf that would cut down on glare and still provide enough contrast to see the ball, what would that be?  It sounds like the field lens would be best for ball tracking, but that lens isn’t polarized. 

unsure of your model of frames but unable to see any Prizm Field in Polarized. 

it seems a lot of their Prizm Sport lines that are field based are non-polarized. the lightest i was seeing is Deep Water Prizm Polarized but that's 12% light transmission and very dark.

Prizm Field is 15% light transmission. Prizm Road is 20%. Prizm Golf is 30%. All are rose base lenses so you can try multiple and use depending on the cloud coverage. I've worn Prizm Golf on all types of days with no issues but would like to get the Fields for those bright, sunny, mid-day rounds. 

I love Polarized off the course though. it's all I wear. On the course I'm wearing Prizm non-polarized.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Posted (edited)

I've been through over half a dozen sunglasses for golf the last 5-6 years. I was nearsighted and wore just my bronze prescription sunglasses before that. Then with LASIK, I could suddenly afford an unlimited supply of sunglasses that were not prescription.

Bottom line is that the SWEET SPOT and perfect combination is Oakley Prism Dark Golf. They're 22%, rose-colored and not polarized.

I find polarized actually hurts with depth perception, not as much reading the greens.  Depth perception impairment at address leads to fat/thin issues.

I find that 30% is too bright to wear comfortably in sunlight (and were worthless when looking toward the sun), and that anything darker than about 18-19% is too dark to wear unless you're in direct sunlight.

I find that the color that lets you track the ball the best against the sky is rose.

I always lift my glasses to putt and usually to read the putt so that I have the same sight picture. I find that aiming out of the side of my eye is much compromised with glasses on (prescription or not).

What I've tried to lead to this conclusion, and their current status:

Oakley Prizm dark golf, 22%, non-polarized, rose (re-purchased and used for golf)

Oakley golf, 30%, non-polarized, rose (sold, not enough tint)

Maui Jim Maui HT, 29%, polarized, green (use for driving on cloudy days)

Maui Jim HCL Bronze, 14% polarized, bronze (general use driving glasses)

Torch golf, 30%, non-polarized, rose-emerald (stolen, replaced with current Prizm dark golf)

Torch polarized bronze, 14% (used for backyard/pool)

Roka green mirror, 19%, polarized (color doesn't work for golf - hard to see ball in grass, kept due to "cooling" appearance or for other sports use)

By the way, for any prescription-only folks who will get the 30% Oakley golf, I'd highly suggest trying the Torch Eyewear golf lens/frame.  Better looking frame, better quality lens, and better lens color too. There's a difference.

Edited by LCP