2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Planning a trip to Bethpage Black

bkelber

With my 13 year-old Son
When my son turns 13 (he's still 12) - we will be planning a special Father/Son trip. Turns out he says he wants to go on a golf trip. I say - twist my arm. He's a skilled golfer already shooting mid-80's from about 5800-6000 yards, and has played in several junior tournaments. My point here is that he understands the game, understands pace of play, and his age will not be an impediment to other golfers that we get paired up with.

As we are creating our short list, Bethpage Black is near the top (Pinehurst is also under serious consideration). Aside from the course itself, there is something very appealing to me about the fact that my 13 year-old son would have a great story to tell someday about the time that he and his old-man slept in a car all night to get a tee time at Bethpage.

While I would expect Bethpage to be the highlight of the trip, I am unfamiliar with some other top-ranked public courses in the region. We will be coming from Texas and renting a car, so traveling a reasonable amount of distance between rounds is not out of the realm of possibilities. The trip would likely be planned as a 4 day weekend (Thursday-Sunday), so although we can perhaps drive a couple hours - a 5-6 drive to another great course is not very feasible.

Could you through out some ideas of other courses in NY, New Jersey or nearby region that might be recommended options. Also, recommendations for places to stay would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tElihu' timestamp='1311177637' post='3407481']
Just wondering why you're limiting yourself to NY/NJ area for other courses if you're driving?

You could hit one course on the way up and one on the way back, and you've got a dozen states to choose from.
[/quote]

Will be planning to fly into NY/NJ and rent a car - not driving up from Texas. Should have clarified.

[quote name='99Luftballoons' timestamp='1311177858' post='3407488']
Keep in mind- playing the Black is a full day affair (and you dont have to sleep in the car if you play there on Thursday).

It's a 5 hour round and physically grueling, especially for a 13 year old.

Besides that, IMO- it's my favorite golf course/experience in the world. Love it. Have fun.
[/quote]

Understood. Will not be trying to tackle a 36 hole marathon with my son. Will plan on the full day at Bethpage Black. And what's this about not sleeping in your car on Thursday? Do they take tee-times, or how does it work on Thursdays?

Here is a link to a web page that describes many of the public golf options in the NY area.

[url="http://golfcourses.weebly.com/new-york---metro-nyc-area.html"]Travelling Golfer Metro NY page[/url]

PS - If you are interested in a great father-son day that involves more than golf, I would suggest driving up to West Point. Spend half the day touring the U.S. Military Acadaemy and Museum and the other half with a round of golf on the West Point Golf Course. You could even stay at the Thayer Hotel on base and then play some of the good courses in the Hudson Valley and do some of the historic sites.

Links at Union Vale Mansion Ridge and then drive to FDR home & Museum @ Hyde Park

Philipsburgh Manor, Old Dutch Church, Sunnyside, Lyndhurst and the Rockefeller estate (Kykuit) are all in Tarrytown & Sleepy Hollow area. Hudson Hills, Patriot Hills, Spook Rock and Mohansic are not far from there for a round of golf.

[quote name='bkelber' timestamp='1311186781' post='3407791']
[quote name='99Luftballoons' timestamp='1311177858' post='3407488']
Keep in mind- playing the Black is a full day affair (and you dont have to sleep in the car if you play there on Thursday).

It's a 5 hour round and physically grueling, especially for a 13 year old.

Besides that, IMO- it's my favorite golf course/experience in the world. Love it. Have fun.
[/quote]

Understood. Will not be trying to tackle a 36 hole marathon with my son. Will plan on the full day at Bethpage Black. And what's this about not sleeping in your car on Thursday? Do they take tee-times, or how does it work on Thursdays?
[/quote]

They take tee times when they are open, it's a matter of navigating the phone system to make that time.

You can certainly sleep out during the week and you probably won't be the only one doing it. Personally what I like about sleeping out is the fact that you will get one of the first tee times.

Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy it.

Bethpage Black might be a bit overwhelming for him but you know him better than any of us would. Not from a difficulty standpoint because it sounds like he can hold his own but like the guys here said, it's an all day thing. It's a fast paced course and they don't have a problem kicking people off. You'll probably have to sleep in the car to get a tee time as well. If he's up for the challenge I'd think you would enjoy that course more than any others around here by far. This course is a tour used course and the others are probably the same as what you're used to. Since it's a father son vacation across the country you guys deserve to treat yourselves a bit. Might even be fun making a whole day thing out of it spending time together.

[quote name='sschull' timestamp='1311496380' post='3418458']
Bethpage Black might be a bit overwhelming for him but you know him better than any of us would. Not from a difficulty standpoint because it sounds like he can hold his own but like the guys here said, it's an all day thing. [b]It's a fast paced course and they don't have a problem kicking people off[/b]. You'll probably have to sleep in the car to get a tee time as well. If he's up for the challenge I'd think you would enjoy that course more than any others around here by far. This course is a tour used course and the others are probably the same as what you're used to. Since it's a father son vacation across the country you guys deserve to treat yourselves a bit. Might even be fun making a whole day thing out of it spending time together.
[/quote]

The Black is a "face paced course"? I've played it 8 times or so and have never played in under 5 hours with early morning tee times. In each of those time I never saw a single ranger.

This said, the more I think about it, I don't know if a 13 year old would really enjoy the Black all that much. For one, almost every tee shot is a forced carry (130 yards+ from the red tees) to the fairway or green. Also, there are only a handful of holes where you can run the ball up to the green (1, 7, 11, 12, 13 and 16) in addition to it being a very difficult walk.

You might want to consider this trip when he is a few years older.

[quote name='oneunderbogey' timestamp='1311607582' post='3421587']
He said his son shoots in the 80's from 6000 yards I dont see a 130 yard carry being a big deal.
[/quote]

That's at minimum. There are some holes where it is more. The first hole alone is a 160 yard carry to the fairway.

All I am saying is that with all of the PGA Tour events that allow public access, I'm not sure if the Black would be an ideal one for a 13 year old.

Sorry, I don't mean to take control of your thread, but I didn't feel the need to start a new one with my simple question.

I was tossed around Bethpage's automated phone system when trying to call to get advice on booking a solo tee time in Sept. Needless to say I was transferred a million times and never spoke to a human. Pretty frustrating.

Does anybody have a number to someone with legs and arms that can let me know how I can play Black or Red as a solo in Sept?

Thanks

[quote name='mrgo26' timestamp='1311626297' post='3422613']
Sorry, I don't mean to take control of your thread, but I didn't feel the need to start a new one with my simple question.

I was tossed around Bethpage's automated phone system when trying to call to get advice on booking a solo tee time in Sept. Needless to say I was transferred a million times and never spoke to a human. Pretty frustrating.

Does anybody have a number to someone with legs and arms that can let me know how I can play Black or Red as a solo in Sept?

Thanks
[/quote]

Automated reservation phone number is 1-516-249-0707
Live switchboard however I don't what about reservations 1-516-249-0700

As a single, I seriously doubt that you will need any reservation. Just show up around 6 AM and you should be good to go. The TV screens above the cashier shows you what's what.

[quote name='luxman' timestamp='1311616784' post='3422044']
[quote name='oneunderbogey' timestamp='1311607582' post='3421587']
He said his son shoots in the 80's from 6000 yards I dont see a 130 yard carry being a big deal.
[/quote]

That's at minimum. There are some holes where it is more. The first hole alone is a 160 yard carry to the fairway.

All I am saying is that with all of the PGA Tour events that allow public access, I'm not sure if the Black would be an ideal one for a 13 year old.
[/quote]

No question, it will be a difficult challenge and one that I would prepare him for in advance. Clearly, he would not go there expecting to shoot his typical scores, and I'm sure many par 4's will turn into 3 or even four shot holes. The point of playing the course would be to create a lasting memory, gain an appreciation for the type of course the pros play, take in the beauty of an amazing track while testing himself on a special course. Scoring expectations would be adjusted accordingly to avoid frustration. It's the same approach I've taken when playing courses like Pebble, Spyglass, Whistling Straits, Torrey Pines, Cog Hill, and other "pro tour" courses that I've been lucky enough to play. I've played these courses with modest scoring expectations, and you couldn't wipe the smile off my face the entire round.

As for the forced carry on many holes, he can certainly carry 130 no problem, as his drives range anywhere from 185 (on mishits) to 225-230. The only reason why I even mentioned his scoring is to convey my point that pace of play won't be a problem in that he's a fairly accomplished player and understands how to get around a course without holding anyone up. Heck - he plays faster than most of the guys at my club at home.

The Red is another nice course to consider if you can spare a day for that. Most people visiting try to do the Black (first since it's walking only) and Red (later with cart) in a day, but since you don't play to do a 36 hole run, maybe play one a day. The Red is still a very nice and challenging course, just not as long and grueling like the Black.

I honestly see the Black as a great experience, but the frustration it brings can turn quickly into a day of no fun. There are times when it's more difficult to get on the Red than the Black, probably b/c those who frequent Bethpage a lot want to play a good course, but don't want to deal with the Black every week.

• 2 weeks later...

You'll have a great time and honestly with you sons ability you'll be fine. I grew up playing bethpage ( lived around the corner), its a great story and experience. Dont discount the red, plays great and is definetly more sought after by locals. If you're on the island there are lots of good tracks that are very affordable. You guys can take in a ball game or go fishing all relatively close to Bethpage. Dont be deterrred have a great time. As far as the walk , its not k2 and you dont need a sherpa.

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

To the OP, if you haven't planned your trip, I hope you've read the thread about the current conditions of the Black. It sounds like the course is not in the best of shape and that the 3rd hole is closed (converted the par 5 7th into a par 3 and par 4 - my guess being that the tee shot to the fairway is the par 3 and the straight fairway to the green is the par 4.

• 8 months later...

[quote name='glenbrookchamp10' timestamp='1336668039' post='4889162']
eisnhower park which is about 20 minutes from bethpage has a very nice red course which used to hold a senior tour event, very well priced for the condition that it was in, not sure about conditioning now
[/quote]

Not very good shape right now. Aerated greens need a few more weeks. Unless you're a resident of Nassau County on LI, the green fees for Eisenhower can be a little steep. Bethpage still is better but not the cheapest for non-residents. Also, it's a more interesting layout.