2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Dallas Golf Trip

ragweed10

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. That stinks. I played there last in very early June. My suggestion from Irving would be Grapevine Muni or Cowboys. The courses are adjacent to one another. Difference is about $125. Cowboys is steep ($175-200). Grapevine is $50-65 but sometimes difficult to get a tee time. The Cowboys rate comes with food and non-alcoholic beverages. It is a fantastic course but steep. DO NOT PLAY BEAR CREEK as tempting as that may be given your proximity to Irving.

I wouldn't pay the $200 for Cowboys unless you are just into the football theme and want to say you played there.. Yes the course is nice but considering all the options in the surrounding area you can get a comparable golf experience for a much cheaper price. My son played a tournament their yesterday and I was not impressed. Perhaps my expectations were to high knowing what the fee is.

Nike Covert Tour 9.5* Kuro Kage 60X
Nike Covert Tour 3 FW 15* Kura Kage 70X
Titleist 712U 2i w/ DG X100
Titleist 690.mb 3-PW w/ DG X100
Titleist SM 56* Callaway Forged Raw 60*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Yeah I don't think we'll shell out $200+ for the Cowboys course...checked out Grapevine online and looks nice but not sure if they have rental clubs as one in our group will need them. I'll keep looking around and see what's out there, definitely not going to play Tour 18 with all the bad reviews I've read/heard lately.

[quote name='Number6vRover' timestamp='1406935535' post='9836615']
Played Grapevine and Stevens couple weeks ago, great shape. Greens at Tour 18 bad shape.
[/quote]

Those two look like the best options from Irving. The Creek course at Indian Creek in Carrollton was in great shape about a month ago. That's not all that far, either.

i'm playing Sky Creek Ranch on Saturday. I haven't played there in about 2 years. I will post some updates with regards to the course conditions afterward. I remember it being a very nice course with very nice greens and that was in 2 years ago in the midst of a horrific drought. We have actually had decent rain this summer.

Course conditions at Sky Creek were good to really good. Fairways were immaculate. Greens were okay. Very slow and soggy bent grass with lots of ball marks. Our group struggled to get the ball to the hole all day. The upside was that they held approach shots very well. Holes 1-6 are as hard as any you will play in DFW (based on the courses I have played). I am not convinced it's worth $90. My bar for public golf in DFW is set by Texas Star at $72. Too bad it's temporarily closed for new greens. Martin Flores played in the group ahead of us. He was the 4th alternate into the PGA Championship. He fired a smooth 62 from what we heard.

[quote name='Zeverson' timestamp='1407765838' post='9908323']
Course conditions at Sky Creek were good to really good. Fairways were immaculate. Greens were okay. Very slow and soggy bent grass with lots of ball marks. Our group struggled to get the ball to the hole all day. The upside was that they held approach shots very well. Holes 1-6 are as hard as any you will play in DFW (based on the courses I have played). I am not convinced it's worth $90. My bar for public golf in DFW is set by Texas Star at $72. Too bad it's temporarily closed for new greens. Martin Flores played in the group ahead of us. He was the 4th alternate into the PGA Championship. He fired a smooth 62 from what we heard.
[/quote]

You like Sky Creek better than Grapevine? Our group wants to play a nice course but not anything like Cowboys GC for $150.

From this thread I've narrowed it down to Grapevine, Sky Creek, and Stevens Park.

What do some of Dallas peeps think about Waterchase GC in Ft Worth? I played there a few years ago because of its proximity to where I was staying for a baseball game in Arlington. I thought it was nice, but never see anyone mention it as a recommended course in the Dallas area.

I'll be in Garland this coming weekend and will be playing one or two of the Firewheel courses.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

Check the Cowboys tee time system. Not sure when you are coming but they are offering some discounted rates throughout the day at random times. I saw a few $99 at random times. They also have a special right now,

2 SPECIAL OFFERS THROUGH LABOR DAY 2014!

$199 VIP Inclusive Special

Green Fee

Cart

GPS

Practice Balls

All Food/Snacks & Non-alcoholic beverages for the day

AND as a bonus bring in this e-mail to receive a free pair of adidas Gripmore 360 shoes, a $129 value .**

gripmore-shoes.jpg

**Must present e-mail to receive shoes**

$55 after 5:00pm

Green Fee

Cart

GPS

Practice Balls

On course Food/Snacks & Non-alcoholic beverages **

Haha I just realized the original post is from 2011.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

[quote name='Thug Hunter' timestamp='1407854755' post='9916729']
What do some of Dallas peeps think about Waterchase GC in Ft Worth? I played there a few years ago because of its proximity to where I was staying for a baseball game in Arlington. I thought it was nice, but never see anyone mention it as a recommended course in the Dallas area.

I'll be in Garland this coming weekend and will be playing one or two of the Firewheel courses.
[/quote] I have not played Waterchase in a long time. Nice course as I remember. Also, DO NOT PLAY the old course at Firewheel. The Bridges course (27 holes) is fantastic.

[quote name='Thug Hunter' timestamp='1407854755' post='9916729']

[/quote]

I played Waterrchase about two weeks ago for the first time. I thought it was the best course I have played in DFW in as long as I can remember. I was very impressed. Greens were awesome. I saw on FB they have sand on the greens this week, some people commented that played today and said it wasn't that bad, but anyways you can play for $33 bucks tomorrow and $39 on Friday. Definitely worth playing if you can get off work tomorrow or Friday

[quote name='Zeverson' timestamp='1407877004' post='9919453']
Also, DO NOT PLAY the old course at Firewheel. [/quote]

Is the course in lousy condition or do you not like the course layout? Been I while since I played there and been wanting to go back just for kicks. Do you know the condition of The Lakes course?

Old course was in lousy condition in the spring, especially the greens. Haven't played it since. Played the Lakes 2 weeks ago. Fairways are good and the greens are OK. Just finished our league at the Firewheel Bridges course and it is in the best shape of the 3.

Titleist TS3 9.5° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6
Titleist 917F2 15° Diamana S+ Blue 70 S
Titleist 917F2 18° Diamana S+ Blue 70 S
Titleist AP2 712 4-W NS Pro 970 S
Titleist SM8 Wedges 52,56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S Putter

[quote name='Zeverson' timestamp='1407854294' post='9916649']
I would play Grapevine. Much more enjoyable and much less expensive. Steven's park is a really fun course but significantly far away from Sky Creek or Grapevine. One thing to inquire about is a replay rate at Cowboys. If you could get two rounds in there, it may be worth it.
[/quote]

Which of the three 9s at Grapevine (Bluebonnet, Mockingbird, Pecan) is the best combo to play?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna be in Nevada Texas which I've been told is around 30 miles northeast of Dallas. I'm not familiar with the area and the people I'm visiting don't know anything about the areas courses. I'll be able to get away a few times so I'm looking for some quality tracks within an hour drive and under $125.00. Thanks in advance for the help.
Frank

As nando said Waterview, Heritage Ranch and Firewheel Bridges Course are good tracks. Woodbridge in Sachse is also near your location. Have not played Buffalo Creek so cannot comment on it. Some other good courses which are a little drive from where you are:

Watters Creek (Allen)
The Bridges, a Fred Couples course (Gunther)
Frisco Lakes (Frisco)
Old American (Colony)
The Tribute (Colony)

Titleist TS3 9.5° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6
Titleist 917F2 15° Diamana S+ Blue 70 S
Titleist 917F2 18° Diamana S+ Blue 70 S
Titleist AP2 712 4-W NS Pro 970 S
Titleist SM8 Wedges 52,56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S Putter