2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

New York Wrxers Post Here

mavstaff

Where do you play? Live?
Hey guys I am not sure if I've ever run across anyone from the big apple on here. Where is everyone?

I live in Manhattan and usually play the following courses...

Van Cortland
Dyker
Pelham/Split Rock
Bethpage (all but black)
Hamlet Wind Watch
Oak Hills (Norwalk, CT)

I've never played the courses on Staten Island or Jersey and I hear I am missing out!

What do you think???

-PLarge10

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Manhattan. I play Hudson Hills up in Ossining, NY every Saturday. Also play Split Rock and Van Cortlandt in the Bronx. On Long Island I play Oyster Bay, Harbor Links, Bethpage Black and Red, Long Island National and Links at Shirley, plus a couple others. I've driven up north to play Mansion Ridge a couple times. In Jersey I played Ballyowen once and that's a great course, cart path only all the time though. I plan on going back there.

Titleist TS3 Driver
Callaway Rogue 13.5 degree 3W
Callaway Rogue 19 degree 5W
Callaway Epic Flash 21 degree 7-wood or
Mizuno MP-H5 21 degree 3 iron
Mizuno MP-4 4-PW
Callaway MD3 54 degree
Callaway MD3 58 degree

i live in manhattan and when i'm not playing up in Dutchess County (Casperkill, Links at Unionvale, McCann, Silo Ridge, Applegreens, Beekman, Carvel, etc.) I'm in the city playing Dyker, Split Rock, Pelham...even though they're all in quite awful condition. looking to hit more courses on LI and in NJ in the near future though.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

I live in Holbrook on Long Island and have played the following courses this year. They are all in pretty good condition except for right now since it seems like everyone is aerating their greens.

Calverton Links

Bethpage State Park-- Blue, Green, Yellow

Hamlet Willow Creek

Eisenhower State Park--White, Red and Blue courses

Sunken Meadow

Tallgrass

Apple Mountain Golf & Country Club--New Jersey

The Woods at Cherry Creek

Long Island National

Holbrook CC

Buck Hill Falls Golf Course--PA

Timber Point CC (red/blue)

Cherry Creek--Links Course

Swan Lake

West Sayville CC

Rock Hill Golf and Country Club

Pine Hills Country Club

Got to get a auto dialer so I can play Bethpage more often. Place gets so crowded on the weekends.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Lynbrook. I've played at Bethpage for 40 years and never get tired of the Black (300+ rounds). Love the Red, too. Blue and Green are OK too, come to think of it. I'm playing Maidstone as a guest on Sunday. Cute course but nothing great IMHO. Can't compare to Shinnecock. Love Hominy Hill in Jersey. Love Ballyowen and Wild Turkey too but if I had to play Crystal Springs every week I'd take up tennis. Nothing but moguls, doglegs and blind shots - UGH! I wouldn't mind calling Winged Foot home, however.

By the way, does anyone out there know if the golf courses at the Concord Resort upstate are still operating? My pals and I used to go up there for the day and play 36 at least a couple of times a year but we haven't been up there in about 3 years. The Monster is a great course.

Worst course in the Metro area: Skyview CC................hands down.

I live in Saratoga Springs, it's about 30 miles north of Albany.

I play:

Saratoga National Golf Club

The Saratoga Spa State Park Championship Course

Hiland

Kingswood

Van Patten

Orchard Creek

Anyone else upstate?

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

I live in Saratoga Springs, it's about 30 miles north of Albany.

I play:

Saratoga National Golf Club

The Saratoga Spa State Park Championship Course

Hiland

Kingswood

Van Patten

Orchard Creek

Anyone else upstate?

I am! Altamont, actually 4 miles from Orchard Creek, which is also my work place. Kingswood is a solid course, and I have yet to play 'Toga National and state park. Maybe next year when the track season starts.

[sign here]

Howd the owner cheat you? I played an IJGT there and thought the place was great.

It's a fun course and it's in great shape. I had a $280 gift card from the winnings in our mens club and it's mysteriously missing :drinks:

I went there a few weeks ago on my birthday and used a $100 card my girlfriend bought me last christmas. I saw some friends and played an extra 9 holes. On the 17th tee he sends a ranger out to let me know I owe him a 9 hole greens fee. I went inside and told him to take it off my "missing" card.

The guy is the biggest thief and liar i've ever met. He will never see my face at his course as long as he's the owner. I can name at least 30 other guys that feel the same way. This loser is banned from stepping foot on the grounds of some of the best private clubs in Westchester!

If you wanna play a quick round go there and pay his inflated greens fee and I promise you'll be one of the few on the course :cheesy:

Sorry for the rant but I HATE this guy and just thinking about it makes my blood boil :cheesy:

Just an informational to golfers in the New York Metro area- you can now get an official USGA handicap index via membership in the MyGolfBuddy.com website. http://www.mygolfbuddy.com Come on over and sign up to enjoy friendly competition with other local golfwrx/mygolfbuddy members in the NY metro area.

Recently moved to Rockland County from the city, thankfully we have a very good 27 hole county course Blue Hill GC, usually in very good shape. Used to play Bethpage all the time, love both Red and of course the Black. Ballyowen in nj is definitely worth the trip, great course.

I used to live in New City, Colorado these days. Still have family in the area and have played Blue Hill a few times. Nice place... :drinks:

stallion:

Your course is a GEM! I lived in Albany for a couple years after college (lived right on Western Ave in Guilderland), and just moved up to Saratoga about a year and a half ago. Played Orchard as much as we could when I was so close, what a beautiful place. Plus, this time of year you can eat yourself sick on apples too!

Hit 'em straight,

Jeff

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

• 2 weeks later...

absolutely right! i used to play there at least every other week,now only if i cannot get a tee time somewhere else. only twice this year. i remember playing a round and wanting to go practice after and being told, "NO". hundred dollar green fee, and they will not allow you to hit some balls after the round, b.s.! imo, the course is not in as good of shape as it was a couple years ago. the greens were never right when i went. and compared to the times i played at eisenhower, they suck. i hear the owner is a real prophalactic. as far as other courses:

tall grass- cow pasture with tee markers and flags

willow creek- resort course, bring some game, young but getting there

mill pond- bad greens, slooooooow

liks at shirley- overpriced, wide open, soso greens

ike red- good scoring, good greens, forgiving,plays long from the back, afternoon wind is tough

ike white- harder than red imo, elevated greens with deep bunkers, deep rough, must be in fairway

-------with the tons of money being dumped into these courses, things are shapeing up------

bethpage black- like you don't know

bethpage red- long par 70, great test, great shape

lido- links course, alot of personality, greens not great, windy!!! needs more $, lady in proshop is nasty

Live on the UWS of Manhattan, also have a place at Crystal Springs, NJ (right off the first tee), which is where i play a lot of my golf.

Wild Turkey, Ballyowen, Crystal Springs, Great Gorge, and Harbor Links (where i grew up - Long Island) are my courses of choice.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux

I live in Orange County, like 60-70 miles northwest of Manhatten. I agree with alot of the other courses stated above.

Saratoga National

Applegreens

New Country Club

Orange County Golf Club

Branton Woods

Concord(25mins form my house)

Dutchess golf & country club

Mansion ridge

My uncle is a club pro in Westchester so I play alot of course there:

Westchester Country Club

The Apawamis Club

Knollwood

Fenway Golf Club

Winged Foot

Sleepy Hollow

if you live near me give me a holla and we'll play

I just saw your post JJL and i play at crystal springs all the time. Crystal Springs, Wild turkey, and Ballyowen are the best there by far. Any chance you take lessons from David Glenz cause I do

Taylormade M3 440
Taylormade M3 15
Titleist 716 T-MB 2
Mizuno MP18
Vokey SM7
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

• 10 months later...

I live in Dutchess County and I normally play the following:

I used to play Branton Woods before it went private. I'm not a fan of Beekman Country Club as I think the course is more of a driver/wedge course and I've had too many bad expiriences with the people that work there. Over the last 2 years that place has really gone downhill after the old Pro left and the new Pro took over. I also played Richter Park a few times, it's nice but I don't see what everyone goes crazy about.

I live in Dutchess County and I normally play the following:

I used to play Branton Woods before it went private. I'm not a fan of Beekman Country Club as I think the course is more of a driver/wedge course and I've had too many bad expiriences with the people that work there. Over the last 2 years that place has really gone downhill after the old Pro left and the new Pro took over. I also played Richter Park a few times, it's nice but I don't see what everyone goes crazy about.

what time do you usually play? i play at all of those courses regularly each week with McCann, Casperkill and Links being the usual rotation. haven't had a chance to play Centennial yet.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

I live in Ridge and mostly play:

Great Rock

Middle Island CC

Mill Pond

Timber Point

Montauk Downs

I have played Every public course on LI except for some of the 9 hole jobs and Bethpage Black.

Middle Island aerated their greens a few weeks ago and play in good shape now - even the ones that were driven over by trespassers 6 weeks ago. The owners put darn near $20 million into the course this year, and it is shaping up nice. Great change from previous owners. Cant wait till they fill in the pond that comes into play on three holes - any day now.

Played Links at Cherry Creek yesterday, not impressed. There is a Par three there, about 200 yard tee shot and the green is honestly 8 yards wide x 20 yards deep. It is like a sliver of green. I want to see a green that pros play into that size. EVERY pin position could not be more than 4 or 5 steps off the edge. It was 9 paces wide!! I do like the woods course though. The Par 6 at links is gimmicky, missed the birdie putt.

Great rock is a nice course, different than most. Elevation changes, some nicely shaped holes. The greens looked kinda sickly last time I played there however. I play it when I can get on free from my company, they dont let you walk (sigh)

Tallgrass is not a great course imo. I really dont like it. I mean, the first hole a par 5 is driver 5 iron. And the rest of the course is SHORT. Great rock is short too, but you cant blast away with your driver if you want to break 80, ob - and general crap everywhere. Tallgrass you can cut corners, and whale away for the most part, and if not you can play a wood to the fairway and reach with a mid iron anyway.

I like Pine Ridge, you have to play good tee shots, it is kinda short too though. Except for that Par three with the two tiered green. If the pin is on top, you have to hit it INTO the darn tree and HOPE it falls on the green. How else will it stay on that 5x5yard spot that is the top shelf?

I am always looking to play a round if someone out here wants to. I can get out on weekdays if need be mostly.

JC

I normally play The Links on Sat or Sun afternoons after 1:00 ish. The crowds are gone, it's twilight rates, and you can easily turn 18 holes in < 4 hours.

I'll PM you the next time I'm running out, maybe we can hook up.

Yeah, weekend AMs at Links are always packed and I'm a big fan of the twilight rates too :)

I'm actually just down the road from Links (literally about 2 miles) so I'd definitely be up for a round sometime.

they didn't do the best job aerating the greens a few weeks ago and even had a temp green for #13 for a while. definitely not up to their usual standards.