2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The Secret to playing better!

Big D McGee

Only bring five balls with you!
I was playing at a local muni this weekend, and I was doing ok, but I sliced my drive into the woods on #3. I tried to find it, but it was long gone, so I reached into my bag to find a ball to drop. Lo and behold, I found that I'd forgotten to put the new dozen balls in my bag. They were sitting in the cargo area of my SUV waaaay back in the parking lot. Crap. Now, I don't tend to lose many balls OB or in water hazards; however when playing Philly munis it's quite common to lose your ball in the rough. Yes, the fairways are barely cut, so the rough is ridiculously long.

Anyway...rather than tensing up, I said, out loud, "Ok, dude, you just can't lose another ball". Guess what, I didn't! I played a really great round, I didn't try any "hero" shots, just kept the ball in play, aimed for the center of the green, and tried to get off each hole with par. I ended up shooting a 92 which is tremendous for me at this stage of my game.

While I didn't use the same ball for the last 15 holes, I didn't lose another either.

Have I discovered the secret? :cheesy: :D

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was playing at a local muni this weekend, and I was doing ok, but I sliced my drive into the woods on #3. I tried to find it, but it was long gone, so I reached into my bag to find a ball to drop. Lo and behold, I found that I'd forgotten to put the new dozen balls in my bag. They were sitting in the cargo area of my SUV waaaay back in the parking lot. Crap. Now, I don't tend to lose many balls OB or in water hazards; however when playing Philly munis it's quite common to lose your ball in the rough. Yes, the fairways are barely cut, so the rough is ridiculously long.

Anyway...rather than tensing up, I said, out loud, "Ok, dude, you just can't lose another ball". Guess what, I didn't! I played a really great round, I didn't try any "hero" shots, just kept the ball in play, aimed for the center of the green, and tried to get off each hole with par. I ended up shooting a 92 which is tremendous for me at this stage of my game.

While I didn't use the same ball for the last 15 holes, I didn't lose another either.

Have I discovered the secret? :cheesy: (cool)

Good story and I can definitely relate. I like to put lines and a mark on the main game balls that I play and I lose a couple a round. But this one time I had only one left and was thinking the same thing you did. Don't lose this ball. Anyways, I went on to keep that same ball and play it for 52 consecutive holes. Yes 52. It was still in good shape so I kept playing it. The sad news was that one day I was out with a professor of mine and told him about my streak on the first tee box with the same ball, and he said jokingly said, "I bet you lose it this hole." Guess what, he was right... :beach:

^Thanks, I really appreciate it! All the help I've gotten here (both with equipment and swing drills) has helped my game and made golf fun again. It's nice to know that if you play conservatively, you won't be hunting for your ball in the woods. My next goal is to hit more GIR. I currently average 4 per round, I want to get it to 5-6 by the beginning of next season.

i went out with a 3 balls last night........didn't realize that i only had 3 balls until i was at the tee ready to play......i thought to myself.....what if i lose all three balls before the round is over?.........so i made it a point to myself to keep the ball in play........and i manage to keep that ball for the whole 18.....didn't lose a ball......and shot the best since i've started 2 years ago........this is my second full season.....first season with my new equipment...........and i have never gotten anything below 90........until last night.......i was way below 90.......i was at an 82....the best score ever for me.......i would have gotten below 80 if i didn't end up with a 7 on a par 4 for two straight hole...i beleive that's what put me over......but for some reason.....i was putting great...........my iron play was awesome.....my drives were fairly straight.....a couple "fade" and "draw" but nothing like a hook or slice......it was really a memorable moment for me..........i'm lookin to get a couple sessions in before the end of the season.......

but fo reals....go out with only a two or three and your mentalilty of the game totally changes......

i probably won't stock up anymore for balls when i'm out on the course....

holla!

^Thanks, I really appreciate it! All the help I've gotten here (both with equipment and swing drills) has helped my game and made golf fun again. It's nice to know that if you play conservatively, you won't be hunting for your ball in the woods.

I got a really good lesson in course management last night. Wen tout and played with one of my regualr golf buddies, who is a really long hitter (and regularly is betwen scratch and bogey). I lost one ball to the cattails after a total duckhook (right after birdieing the previous hole). I watched him lose no less than SIX balls throughout the round. The thing is, his golf game is solid enough that he can often recover(but not always). He regularly blows his drives 100 yards past mine, but I'll take my shorter drives in playable, findable condition rather than losing half a dozen a round.. :beach:

When I played Bandon Dunes I used one ball the entire round...until the 18th tee.

I'm standing on the tee box thinking "I'm gonna have the guys in my group sign the ball and keep it as a momento of the day."(I was playing with my dad, my SIL, and his best man as I was in town for my daughter's wedding)

Sliced it off into the gorse.

I did the same friggin' thing at Ko'Olau. Rated the most difficult course in the country with a slope of 162 from the tips. The pro told me to bring the number of balls equal to my handicap because that's how many I'd lose.

I played 16 and holes with one ball and then cold topped a 3 wood into the crap. Getting through that course with one ball would've been a feather in my cap.