USGA to allow Yardage Finders Beginning 2006

I think this is right, there is no reason that these should not be allowed

The art of the sport is in knowing what shot to hit and hitting it, not having to guess about yardages

I played at a course the other day whose yardage markers were 20-30 yards off...this is one reason these should be allowed

plus, how do you think the caddies get the yardages in the booklets in the first place?

I think the USGA is just scared of new technology that could make the game easier

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was at a Canadian Open practice round a couple of years ago following Vijay, there were at least six or seven other caddies walking through the group checking yardage for their players.

The caddies walk off and mark basically everying in addition to the yardage books, you might as well give them a yardage finder.

As for amateurs, I can see it being useful for courses that are either marked poorly or not familiar to you. But in all honesty, while it'd be cool to see exactly what I have to the pin, it's not going to affect me much if I have 148 or 152 to the pin.

When I was at a Canadian Open practice round a couple of years ago following Vijay, there were at least six or seven other caddies walking through the group checking yardage for their players.

The caddies walk off and mark basically everying in addition to the yardage books, you might as well give them a yardage finder.

As for amateurs, I can see it being useful for courses that are either marked poorly or not familiar to you. But in all honesty, while it'd be cool to see exactly what I have to the pin, it's not going to affect me much if I have 148 or 152 to the pin.

24781[/snapback]

Check this thread>>>Here

For more good stuff about this topic.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

I hope it's allowed because I know it will speed up the play also to give more accurate yardage than what the sprinklers or yardage books gives you. For example, if your ball is on the left side of the fairway but the pin is on the far right, you cannot depend on the sprinklers to give you accurate yardage since the yardage is undoubtly greater than what you can obtain from sprinklers or from yardage book.

I'm usually ready to hit my shot within 5-10 seconds of what I can obtain my yardage with rangefinder instead of waiting for about 30 seconds or so if rangefinders aren't allowed by searching for sprinkler and then figuring out the plus or minus yardage on the pin placement sheet.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 Tour 15*

SIM2 Max 21* Diamana 75-S

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey White Ice DART 46"

A lot of courses around here only have 150 and 100... true with these dog tracks you should be looking at the green from inside 150 with a decent tee shot however on par fives its nice to know what exactly I am looking at.

I am planning on purchasing a finder, and I think it will greatly improve my game by taking out a lot of the guess work.

also driving ranges around here tend to be real suspect with their yardages. It would be nice to know exactly where I am putting the ball.

I agree that it'll speed up play, not to mention increasing the enjoyment you'll derive. It'll also take some stress off my bad ankle. I won't have to pace off yardages anymore. Cool!

24854[/snapback]

Sorry ... it does not speed up play. Why? I've seen players waited until they get to the ball before pulling out the damn thing, then they proceeded to calculate yardage, wind condition, where to hit the ball, etc. Dude! You are not playing for money ... "A Good Walk [should not be] Spoiled!" Get a GPS such as skycaddie or Suunto G9 - the system not only tell you yardage to the flagstick but also to the litter box, the tree between you and the green, and the pissed-off-me playing behind you. :vava: But at least I'm not the idiot deputy reserve who pulled his badge and gun on the slow foursome last week in California.

What about the GPS device (Skygolf)?

This would seem to be the best of all worlds. As I understand it you get the exact yardage instantly.

24864[/snapback]

This is my first year that I have had a PDA with a GAPS and it makes golf so much more fun knowing how far you have to the center of the green and knowing that your yardage is correct. It also keeps up with how far you hit each club and your stats on every course and every round. All of that takes so very little time it is unreal. If you tried to put everything in including puts you may waste a lot of time, but to look down and see how far you are to the green and put in your coordinates for your last hit is a lot quicker than looking for any sprinkler head and a lot more accurate.

This would seem to be the best of all worlds. As I understand it you get the exact yardage instantly.

24864[/snapback]

This is my first year that I have had a PDA with a GAPS and it makes golf so much more fun knowing how far you have to the center of the green and knowing that your yardage is correct. It also keeps up with how far you hit each club and your stats on every course and every round. All of that takes so very little time it is unreal. If you tried to put everything in including puts you may waste a lot of time, but to look down and see how far you are to the green and put in your coordinates for your last hit is a lot quicker than looking for any sprinkler head and a lot more accurate.

24910[/snapback]

What program and PDA are you using?

Having a GPS on a golf cart or a PDA with the GPS software doesn't seem so bad. But my fear for range finders is that it could make the already long rounds a bit longer when folks start standing around tyirng to sight them in on a target. Maybe not but it does seem like it could take longer than a quick walk from a yardage marker grab a club and go.

i've already worn one bushnell lazer rangefinder out..they are great for getting your yardages at the range and for practice..take them out on the course any you'll standing there forever if your trying to shoot a pin..think about it...a pin with a little flag flapping on it..in a breeze..how steady is your hand at 150+ yards..it's damn near impossible..great for hitting fronts of bunkers etc. but hitting the flag is really tough..think the skylab system would be much better.. :vava: ok whatever it's called it sounds a helluva lot better..

i've already worn one bushnell lazer rangefinder out..they are great for getting your yardages at the range and for practice..take them out on the course any you'll standing there forever if your trying to shoot a pin..think about it...a pin with a little flag flapping on it..in a breeze..how steady is your hand at 150+ yards..it's damn near impossible..great for hitting fronts of bunkers etc. but hitting the flag is really tough..think the skylab system would be much better.. :vava: ok whatever it's called it sounds a helluva lot better..

25263[/snapback]

I agree, without some kind of reflector on the pin(maybe even with one) I have a hard time holding still enough to get a reading. I use mine for practice, its really beneficial to mark of 20, 30, 40 ,50 and 60yds and hit wedges to those targets. Plus I know that a well struck 6 iron will carry 167 yds, of course it's easier to well struck one on the range than on the course but at least I know how far it should be going.

25263[/snapback]

Get a used "1000"......MUCH easier to get a yardage....even if the flag is limp......I've got a 400 and a 500 and they are a PAIN in the arse....but the 1000 is easy......

24864[/snapback]

24910[/snapback]

What program and PDA are you using?

24911[/snapback]

I am using a hp4700 and use a program called intilligolf. You can go to intelligolf.com and see their program. It works real well

25263[/snapback]

Get a used "1000"......MUCH easier to get a yardage....even if the flag is limp......I've got a 400 and a 500 and they are a PAIN in the arse....but the 1000 is easy......

25310[/snapback]

I had a 1000 until a caddie in Malaysia stole it out of my bag, but it does not compare to the GPS with todays tecnology is so much more accurate than the laser range finders. I just did not have the conifidence that i was shooting the right target and it did take some time to do that on the course compared to looking down at a GPS.

• 1 month later...

I've been using a laser rangefinder for about 8 years. This past year I tried the intelligolf GPS for my PDA I use for work and then went out and got a Skycaddie. The intelligolf is the best of them all but you have to mark the course off yourself and record the lat/long of everything. Skycaddie is conveniant in that many of it's courses are alrady marked and the intelligreen is a nice touch but it is $350 and then $50 a year membership unless you only play a few courses at home.

When I used the laser I never held up play. I could quickly pick out front, back and middle of the green yardages and hit away. What slows down play are the guys who take 5 or 6 practice swings and then shank it or wait until the green some 280 yds away is clear in case they hit the shot of their life...or dreams.

As far as hitting the flagstick it isn't neccesary unless the course is empty. I would always lase the guy in front of me when he replaced the pin. While they chipped or putted I would measure front and back targets.