Ohio GolfWRX Outing(Sat. June 23, 2012; 10:00am)

DaSportsGuy

[quote name='The Milk Man' timestamp='1328371646' post='4212123']
I agree on it not being a scramble just thought I would throw it out there.

Here is something my buddies and I have done in the past. Everyone throws in $20 - 10 of that goes into skins, 8 goes into closest to hole on par 3 ($2 per hole), and the other 2 goes into a post round drink fund.

DaSportsGuy if you need any help the day of I would be glad to help.

Shev
[/quote]
I'll be sure to let you know if I need anything. Thanks for the offer.

Could you [or someone] explain skins to me? I can't seem to grasp exactly how it works. I've read tons of stuff about it on the internet and can't seem to get a good understanding of it. It sounds like a great game I just don't fully understand it.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='The Milk Man' timestamp='1328371646' post='4212123']
I agree on it not being a scramble just thought I would throw it out there.

Here is something my buddies and I have done in the past. Everyone throws in $20 - 10 of that goes into skins, 8 goes into closest to hole on par 3 ($2 per hole), and the other 2 goes into a post round drink fund.

[b]DaSportsGuy if you need any help the day of I would be glad to help.
[/b]
Shev
[/quote]

Absolutely, Jeff ANYTHING you need help with on the day........ Shev will be glad to help.

:rolleyes: Just kidding, I will be available I am sure.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

each hole is assigned a value. Say .50 or a dollar whatever. Whoever wins that hole, wins that amount from each man in their 4some. if the hole is halved then the hole carries over. so if the first 5 holes are tied hole 6 is gonna be worth 6 buck per man (or 3 @ .50 per) It's cool because the most you can lose is whatever each skin is worth X 18. They cool thing about is that once you are out of a hole you root for the guy or guys who have a chance to tie someone already in with what would be a winning score. So Joe may have a birdie, and i have a birdie putt to tie, and force a carry over to the next hole so you are intensly rooting for me to drain it. Which is funny because the previous hole you were dead set against me when i had a 4 footer to win 4 skins and you are all "noonan"ing me and then giving high fives all around when i rammed the damned thing two feet by not even peeking down in the cup. black%20eye.gif

Skins are awesome, You will love it,

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

each hole is assigned a value. Say .50 or a dollar whatever. Whoever wins that hole, wins that amount from each man in their 4some. if the hole is halved then the hole carries over. so if the first 5 holes are tied hole 6 is gonna be worth 6 buck per man (or 3 @ .50 per) It's cool because the most you can lose is whatever each skin is worth X 18. They cool thing about is that once you are out of a hole you root for the guy or guys who have a chance to tie someone already in with what would be a winning score. So Joe may have a birdie, and i have a birdie putt to tie, and force a carry over to the next hole so you are intensly rooting for me to drain it. Which is funny because the previous hole you were dead set against me when i had a 4 footer to win 4 skins and you are all "noonan"ing me and then giving high fives all around when i rammed the damned thing two feet by not even peeking down in the cup. black%20eye.gif

Ok...that makes more sense. So all the holes have the same value unless their is a carryover?

Yeah, i mean you can inrcease the value as you go along. Holes 1-6 are worth .50 7-12 are 1.00 and then 13-18 are 2.00 or whatever but that gets complicated in the math and if i am playing bad the beer cart girl and i will be on a first name basis by hole 12 so i wont be at all helpful there.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1328384726' post='4213181']
Yeah, i mean you can inrcease the value as you go along. Holes 1-6 are worth .50 7-12 are 1.00 and then 13-18 are 2.00 or whatever but that gets complicated in the math and if i am playing bad the beer cart girl and i will be on a first name basis by hole 12 so i wont be at all helpful there.
[/quote]
Ok, I got it now. Thanks Mark.

In case anyone is wondering...140 days til the outing! :drinks:

Wow! I'm really lucky...

Every 4th of July a couple buddies of mine and myself go to two new MLB Stadiums to watch games. We've been to 18 of the 30 MLB Parks and this year we're going to Texas to see two more, the Astros(Minute Maid Park) and the Rangers(The Ballpark in Arlington).

To make a long story short we have to go earlier this year because he has to work over the 4th of July weekend so he has to go earlier and to catch both teams when they're at home so we have to leave on the 24th of June. Luckily...not the 23rd! Still kinda stinks though because I'm gonna have to head out of town the day after the outing at 5am, lol. But hey...I'm not complaining...at least I can make the outing! Close call...whew!

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1328406152' post='4214933']
Wow! I'm really lucky...

Every 4th of July a couple buddies of mine and myself go to two new MLB Stadiums to watch games. We've been to 18 of the 30 MLB Parks and this year we're going to Texas to see two more, the Astros(Minute Maid Park) and the Rangers(The Ballpark in Arlington).

To make a long story short we have to go earlier this year because he has to work over the 4th of July weekend so he has to go earlier and to catch both teams when they're at home so we have to leave on the [b]24th of May[/b]. Luckily...not the 23rd! Still kinda stinks though because I'm gonna have to head out of town the day after the outing at 5am, lol. But hey...I'm not complaining...at least I can make the outing! Close call...whew!
[/quote]

It says you have to leave on the 24th of May, I thought the outing was in June?

Also can you update your very first post in this thread with all the details? It would make it easier than searching 6 pages to find the official date and who is coming.

Thanks

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1328454683' post='4217643']
[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1328406152' post='4214933']
Wow! I'm really lucky...

To make a long story short we have to go earlier this year because he has to work over the 4th of July weekend so he has to go earlier and to catch both teams when they're at home so we have to leave on the [b]24th of May[/b]. Luckily...not the 23rd! Still kinda stinks though because I'm gonna have to head out of town the day after the outing at 5am, lol. But hey...I'm not complaining...at least I can make the outing! Close call...whew!
[/quote]

It says you have to leave on the 24th of May, I thought the outing was in June?

Also can you update your very first post in this thread with all the details? It would make it easier than searching 6 pages to find the official date and who is coming.

Thanks
[/quote]
Wow...I don't know why the hell I keep thinking May is before June. That's like the fourth or fifth time I've done that in this thread, lol. I meant the 24th of June, lol.

But yea, I'll update the first post in the thread. That's a good idea.

You can also play skins for a flat amount . It basically works the same as KYMAR explained. If you have 20 guys everyone throws in 10 bucks, that puts 200 in the pot. Then you just go hole by hole and low score on then hole wins the skin. If 2 tie all tie. Then you take the number of skins and use that to divide into 200 - example 4 skins/ 200 in the pot = 50 skins. Like KYMAR said the fun thing about skins are some holes your rooting for someone and the next hole you may be rooting against them.

You can also play skins for a flat amount . It basically works the same as KYMAR explained. If you have 20 guys everyone throws in 10 bucks, that puts 200 in the pot. Then you just go hole by hole and low score on then hole wins the skin. If 2 tie all tie. Then you take the number of skins and use that to divide into 200 - example 4 skins/ 200 in the pot = 50 skins. Like KYMAR said the fun thing about skins are some holes your rooting for someone and the next hole you may be rooting against them.

Gotcha. Thanks guys. We'll definitely have to look into doing something like that if enough people want to.

With all the different handicaps I think just doing a $10 skins pot would be the way to go. We could also do some other game mixed in for another $10 and then we could each just throw a twenty spot in and have a couple different ways to win? Maybe do the big pot and then each 4some has their own skins game going?

Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)

I definitely prefer skins within the 4some. But, i am not opposed to a group competition as well. As the milk Man said, You have to compare score cards after the round and see who won for the whole group. I would be down with that. That's kind of fun to not know if the birdie that won some skins on a par 5 in your 4some will hold up for the whole thing.

Also, peeps can do little side bets, like 5 aside and 5 total. So if Joe shoots 37 39 and i shoot 40 41 that will be another 15 bucks i lose But if Joe shoots 39 42 and I shoot 40 39 the "sides" are pushed but i win the 5 bucks for total score. And if i shoot 79 at that place, I will spend that 5 bucks and plenty more on beers for the whole damn crew!

There are other little games we can do as a group. Longest drive, closest to the pin on par 3's. Just a buck a man for each. There is a way to do all of this where you know exactly how much money you can lose if you don;t win a single thing. we can come up with that number as we get closer to the day,

I think also, this needs to be said, NO ONE is obligated to partake in any of this. We are going out to meet fellow WRX'rs and have a blast playing the game we love and that will happen regardless of side game participation. I just don't want all the talk of skins and nassaus intimidating anybody who is signed up and committed to playing. Don't let it, it's gonna be great!

I can't wait!

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1328553194' post='4223711']
I definitely prefer skins within the 4some. But, i am not opposed to a group competition as well. As the milk Man said, You have to compare score cards after the round and see who won for the whole group. I would be down with that. That's kind of fun to not know if the birdie that won some skins on a par 5 in your 4some will hold up for the whole thing.

Also, peeps can do little side bets, like 5 aside and 5 total. So if Joe shoots 37 39 and i shoot 40 41 that will be another 15 bucks i lose But if Joe shoots 39 42 and I shoot 40 39 the "sides" are pushed but i win the 5 bucks for total score. And if i shoot 79 at that place, I will spend that 5 bucks and plenty more on beers for the whole damn crew!

There are other little games we can do as a group. Longest drive, closest to the pin on par 3's. Just a buck a man for each. There is a way to do all of this where you know exactly how much money you can lose if you don;t win a single thing. we can come up with that number as we get closer to the day,

I think also, this needs to be said, NO ONE is obligated to partake in any of this. We are going out to meet fellow WRX'rs and have a blast playing the game we love and that will happen regardless of side game participation. I just don't want all the talk of skins and nassaus intimidating anybody who is signed up and committed to playing. Don't let it, it's gonna be great!

I can't wait!
[/quote]

[quote name='bob32556' timestamp='1328580679' post='4227167']
Well said Kymar! Quite frankly my head was starting to swim with all various games being proposed. I was hoping to just play some golf.
[/quote]

I think just doing a big skins game is the way to go, then you can get in if you want and nobody needs to feel obligated! Everybody can then make side bets if they want too. i also think we should do the long drive thing, it is a GOLFWRX event after all!!!! I also wish we could get our hands on a Hammer driver and have 1 hole that we leave it on and everyone gets one shot with it and long drive gets a prize Or you pay a $1 to hit it and winner gets the pot at the end of the day?

KYMAR... if I shoot over 79 I will be giving my clubs away at the end of the day!!!!!

J/K I will just be happy to not run out of balls!

Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*

Ok...so would everyone be cool with just a big, group skins game? Like Mark said, don't feel obligated to do the skins if you don't want to. Nobody will have any problem if you don't want to.

Also, we'll do a longest drive contest and a closest to the pin contest. Give me some suggestions on how we would do those and what the prize would be...

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1328644015' post='4232127']
Ok...so would everyone be cool with just a big, group skins game? Like Mark said, don't feel obligated to do the skins if you don't want to. Nobody will have any problem if you don't want to.

Also, we'll do a longest drive contest and a closest to the pin contest. Give me some suggestions on how we would do those and what the prize would be...
[/quote]

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1329689366' post='4325357']
[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1328644015' post='4232127']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Group skins is fine. For the longest drive the course will have markers we can use and the last group out picks them up. Drives have to be in the fairway to win and closest to the pin has to be on the green.

Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*

Alright so we'll go with a big skins game. How does $10 a person sound? More, less? Also, don't feel obligated to participate in the skins game. If you don't want to, that is perfectly fine.

I'll e-mail the course and make sure they're cool with us using the markers for longest drive and closest to the pin. As Joe mentioned, drives must be in the fairway to win the longest drive and the ball has to be on the green to win closest to the pin. Which for us hackers, that may be a problem...:crazy: To clarify, the fringe does not count even if it is closer to the pin than the closest. It must be on the green to win.

Also, since I haven't canceled the 6th tee time yet, we'll go ahead and just keep it. So their are still three spots open. PM anyone who you think may be interested and has not signed up yet.

Hey everyone. I came across this forum and it's awesome to see that there's an outing being organized.

DaSportsGuy--I sent you a PM with my details. Hopefully I'll be able to join you all on the 23rd. I'm totally down for a big skins game.

Until then, if anyone around here is from Cleveland and would like to play at some point, let me know. I'm from Mentor/Concord and try to hit up Little Mountain CC and Fowlers Mill as much as I can. The way the weather has been, it feels like spring is just around the corner...

[quote name='Kavdawg' timestamp='1330352099' post='4386961']
Hey everyone. I came across this forum and it's awesome to see that there's an outing being organized.

DaSportsGuy--I sent you a PM with my details. Hopefully I'll be able to join you all on the 23rd. I'm totally down for a big skins game.

Until then, if anyone around here is from Cleveland and would like to play at some point, let me know. I'm from Mentor/Concord and try to hit up Little Mountain CC and Fowlers Mill as much as I can. The way the weather has been, it feels like spring is just around the corner...
[/quote]
You're in man. I got your PM and sent you a PM back. I'll be sure to keep you in the loop as we get closer to the outing and I'll keep in touch about playing sometime. I've never been to Fowlers' Mill but it's on my list of courses to play this year so I'd be down with getting together and playing there sometime. I'm sure we could get a couple other WRX'ers to join us there.

----BELOW IS THE MOST UP-TO-DATE VERSION OF THE OUTING DETAILS----

Date-Saturday-June 23rd, 2012
Time-10:30am(I would like everyone to be there by 10. If you are in one of the first couple groups, you may want to get there a little earlier to get warmed up. I will be there around 9 to get a little sign-in table or something set up in the back of the parking lot by my car.)
Cost-$69.00 per person

Tee Times:
1) 10:30
2) 10:40
3) 10:50
4) 11:00
5) 11:10
6) 11:20

1-DaSportsGuy(Jeff; 18 years old; North Canton; 19 min away; 11.1 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
2-adams603(Matt; 40 years old; Stow; 45 min away; 9 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-?)
3-joekelli(Joe; 45 years old; Cuyahoga Falls; 39 min away; 7 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
4-KYMAR(Mark; 38 years old; Chagrin Falls; 1:17 away; 9 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-?)
5-bob32556(Bob; 55 years old; Newton Falls; 59 min away; 10 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
6-lefty1984(Shaun; 27 years old; Newark; 1:50 away; ? HCI; Email-?)
6-nivekrob(Kevin; 30 years old; Dayton; 3:28 away; ~9 HCI~; Email-✓; Cell #-?)
7-homergolf(Bob; 55 years old; Bay Village; 1:29 away; 15.8 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-?)
8-ggpro(Drew; 51 years old; Mayfield Heights; 1:13 away; 4.3 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
9-fccgolfer(Ben; 27 years old; Wadsworth; 46 min away; 2.5 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-?)
10-SprayNPrey(Brandon; 28 years old; Ashland; 1:10 away; 6 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
11-break80consistently(Chris; 27 years old; Cleveland; 1:15 away; 6.1 HCI; Email-✓;Cell #-?)
12-spencer096(Spencer; 27 years old; Cleveland Heights; 1:22 away; 9 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
13-JD616(Josh; 17 years old; Mineral Ridge; 1:01 away; ~8~ HCI; Email-✓;Cell #-?)
15-PittShark(Mark; 30 years old; Pittsburgh(PA); 2:01 away; ~11~ HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
14-aep4749(Adam; 24 years old; Pittsburgh(PA); 2:01 away; ~4~ HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
15-9ccat9(Cat; 37 years old; Pittsburgh(PA); 2:01 away; 0 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-?)
16-artist08(Tim; Sharpsville(PA); 1:27 away; 4 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
17-The Milk Man(Shev; 38 years old; Lima; 2:51 away; 3.1 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
18-reflog74(John; 58 years old; Shaker Heights; 1:12 away; 15 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
19-minteq(Bob; 45 years old; Cleveland; 1:15 away; 5 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
20-minteq #2 - Son(Zach; 18 years old; Cleveland; 1:15 away; 8 HCI; Email-X; Cell #-X)
21-GZS(Chris; 27 years old; Amherst; 1:32 away; ~10~ HCI; Email-X; Cell #-✓)
22-Kavdog(Kavi: 25 years old; Mentor; 1:33 away; 11.4 HCI; Email-X; Cell #-✓)
23-SIGN UP FOR THIS SPOT TODAY!
24-SIGN UP FOR THIS SPOT TODAY!

^Gotcha...one more spot pending the fact that everyone who has signed up can make it.

Time-10:30am(I would like everyone to be there by 10. If you are in one of the first couple groups, you may want to get there a little earlier to get warmed up. I will be there around 9 to get a little sign-in table or something set up in the back of the parking lot by my car.)
Cost-$69.00 per person

Tee Times:

1-DaSportsGuy(Jeff; 18 years old; North Canton; 19 min away; 11.1 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
3-joekelli(Joe; 45 years old; Cuyahoga Falls; 39 min away; 7 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
5-bob32556(Bob; 55 years old; Newton Falls; 59 min away; 10 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
7-homergolf(Bob; 55 years old; Bay Village; 1:29 away; 15.8 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-?)
8-ggpro(Drew; 51 years old; Mayfield Heights; 1:13 away; 4.3 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
9-fccgolfer(Ben; 27 years old; Wadsworth; 46 min away; 2.5 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-?)
10-SprayNPrey(Brandon; 28 years old; Ashland; 1:10 away; 6 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
11-break80consistently(Chris; 27 years old; Cleveland; 1:15 away; 6.1 HCI; Email-✓;Cell #-?)
12-spencer096(Spencer; 27 years old; Cleveland Heights; 1:22 away; 9 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
13-JD616(Josh; 17 years old; Mineral Ridge; 1:01 away; ~8~ HCI; Email-✓;Cell #-?)
15-PittShark(Mark; 30 years old; Pittsburgh(PA); 2:01 away; ~11~ HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
14-aep4749(Adam; 24 years old; Pittsburgh(PA); 2:01 away; ~4~ HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
15-9ccat9(Cat; 37 years old; Pittsburgh(PA); 2:01 away; 0 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-?)
17-The Milk Man(Shev; 38 years old; Lima; 2:51 away; 3.1 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
18-reflog74(John; 58 years old; Shaker Heights; 1:12 away; 15 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
20-minteq #2 - Son(Zach; 18 years old; Cleveland; 1:15 away; 8 HCI; Email-X; Cell #-X)
23-zburkhart(Zach; 27 years old; Bealsville; 3:55 away; ~9~ HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)

Alright, we've got 24 guys now and have all six tee times filled pending the fact that we don't have anyone who ends up not being able to make it. As soon as you realize you can't make it, or know for a FACT you can make it, be sure to let me know. I'm sure we'll have at least 4-5 cancellations so if you are not on the list and would like to be a part of this, you can still sign up.

Hope all of you can make it! It'll be a great time!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cost-$69.00 per person

Tee Times:

23-zburkhart(Zach; 27 years old; Bealsville; 3:55 away; ~9~ HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
24-GZS #2(Natel 27 years old; Amherst; 1:32 away; ~10~ HCI; Email-X; Cell #-X)

Sports Guy,

Open my spot up, I am heading out of town for the Club Pro Championship in Monterey. Good luck to everyone!

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

^Thanks for the early heads up. Good luck at that tourny!

---------------------------------------------------------

Cost-$69.00 per person

Tee Times:

15-artist08(Tim; Sharpsville(PA); 1:27 away; 4 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
16-The Milk Man(Shev; 38 years old; Lima; 2:51 away; 3.1 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
17-reflog74(John; 58 years old; Shaker Heights; 1:12 away; 15 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
18-minteq(Bob; 45 years old; Cleveland; 1:15 away; 5 HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
19-minteq #2 - Son(Zach; 18 years old; Cleveland; 1:15 away; 8 HCI; Email-X; Cell #-X)
20-GZS(Chris; 27 years old; Amherst; 1:32 away; ~10~ HCI; Email-X; Cell #-✓)
21-Kavdog(Kavi: 25 years old; Mentor; 1:33 away; 11.4 HCI; Email-X; Cell #-✓)
22-zburkhart(Zach; 27 years old; Bealsville; 3:55 away; ~9~ HCI; Email-✓; Cell #-✓)
23-GZS #2 - Friend(Natel 27 years old; Amherst; 1:32 away; ~10~ HCI; Email-X; Cell #-X)