ADIDAS CLIMAPROOF STORM SOFT-SHELL JACKET

Editor review
ADIDAS CLIMAPROOF STORM SOFT-SHELL JACKET

Pros-
A jacket for all seasons. Lightweight and packable mean it's ideal for those who carry. Waterproof with sealed seems (3 yr waterproof guarantee) keeps you dry. Breathable but breaks the wind nicely. Softshell is quiet. Form fitting but stretches nicely during the swing.

Cons-
Design might be a little ordinary for those who consider themselves stylish (that wouldn't be me). Fits snuggly so if you're between sizes go one size up. A bit pricey.

Bottom Line-
If you're looking for a solid rain/wind jacket that you can keep in your bag until you need it, then this will fit the bill. It will keep you dry and also makes a great windbreaker. Unlike many rain jackets out there you can actually wear this and not have the sound of rubbing fabric distract you. It's in my bag for good.

Review-

The ADIDAS Climaproof Storm Soft-shell Jacket has a four-way stretch construction, an articulated elbow, is fully seam-sealed and waterproof for maximum all-weather protection. It's lightweight and the soft fabrication makes it nice and quiet. It's one of several "Climaproof" products that are each designed to fill a particular niche for the golfer.

Looks-
This very nondescript looking jacket, nothing flashy. If you have a sense of style like Ian Poulter this may be a turnoff. If not, then the plain design will be a plus. For me it's perfect. Just and FYI, it looks nothing like the pictures on the ADIDAS website (see pictures below). The jacket comes in four colors; red, black, gray, and navy. The only markings on the jacket are the logo on the sleeve, some white highlight stripes, and three stripes down the back similar to their golf shoes.

Performance/playability-
I tested the jacket both on the course during a sunny but cool and breezy day, then in a moderate rain while in the yard, and under the hose (to really give it workout). Now I've owned plenty of rain jackets and windbreakers over the years and thoroughly despised all of them.They were all either very waterproof but very noisy or nice a quiet and leaked like a sieve, and all were too baggy because anything less meant restricting my swing; did I mention I despised ALL of them. I didn't hold out much hope for this one either but lo and behold we have a keeper.

The jacket is very light so packing it in a carry bag for the day won't be an issue. It fits snugly, not too small, just snug. Now, if you're between sizes you may want to go up a size. I tend to wear a medium and the jacket fit perfectly. Normally something this snug would be a huge problem while trying to swing but the jacket really seems to stretch (see should turn photo below) in all the right places. The result is there is practically no feeling of restriction during the swing, even with a full shoulder turn. There are two zip pockets that are lined witha thin fleece like material that really comes in handy when it's cool outside.

My first playing experience was in a cool breeze but no rain. For such a thin and light material it does an excellent job as a windbreaker. After playing a round in the sun and seeing how well it performed I was doubtful as to how waterproof it would be. So first I did some work outside in the rain for about an hour. The water just beads up and rolls off, there's no water soaking into the fabric at all. The jacket has velcro wrist straps that snugs up nicely to prevent water from seeping in (see picture below), and the collar sits up nicely to help keep water off your shirt collar. The result was that I was perfectly dry. So of course I went backout and stuck my arm under the garden hose for few minutes (until my arm started to turn numb). Started out with a nice gentle sprinkle and ended on full blast. Result: perfectly dry.

Feel-
Soft, like a baby's bottom, only drier. Plus it's really quiet; I mean I'm the sensitive type so any irritating noises from fabric rubbing together drives me absolutely nuts. Part of this seems to do with the relatively form fitting nature of the jacket that reduces loose fabric flapping around. But the soft fabric is the primary reason.

Overall bottom line-
After years of searching my wait is over. I've finally found a rain jacket that is waterproof, functional, and doesn't annoy the ever-living heck out of me when I swing (meaning it's nice and quiet). Although maybe not the most stylish piece of outerwear out there, it does all the important things a rain jacket should do, and then some. If you're looking for a rain jacket that's absolutely waterproof, quiet, can be carried around all day, and also do double duty as a wind breakerthan this is for you.

Driver- Cally Mavrik SZ 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, S
3wd- Cally Flash SZ, UST ATTAS Elements, S
Hybrids- Cally Flash 18* & Apex Pro 24* Matrix HM3 95 Black Tie, S
Irons- TM 790 4-6,  TM 760 6-PW,  Steelfiber i95, S
GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
SW/LW- Cally MD3, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it like other waterproofs where you are sweating you butt off in the summer months? I hate jackets like that cause it isnt always cold were i play.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

To answer the two related questions above; it's lightweight so does not provide a lot of insulation in the cold, but would make a great warmer weather jacket. I know what you mean about sweating when wearing rain jackets in summer. This only has two thin layers, one inner mesh layer and an outer layer (see pics below). If you walk it would be also be great for cooler temps where you can keep your body temp up while walking (which is what I did during my test round). Nice to keep in the bag on those iffy days where you're not sure if you'll stay warm without a jacket.

[attachment=924579:inside .JPG]

[attachment=924581:inside close.JPG]

GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

[quote name='tiger168' timestamp='1322073973' post='3841815']
Did you purchase a normal size, as compare to American size or did you go a size down/up?

tiger168
[/quote]

I went down a size and ok with it (little snug but still can swing)

I just can't put up with XL that with too long sleeves. Large fit me well on my arms and torso but chest is a bit snug.

FYI

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

TY

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

[quote name='Golfnole3' timestamp='1322528108' post='3863805']
Snugly as in small or tight? I'd rather it be tight than small. I only ask this because I plan on getting one for Christmas! Thanks
[/quote]

Not small. If it were small the sleeves would be too short, which they weren't. Form fitting may be a another term you could use. Certainly not like a Under Armour type garment but more form fitting than most rain jackets I've had.

GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

• 3 weeks later...

I have last year's model, the black with white stripes and red zipper and it's the best-looking, most comfortable jacket I've ever owned, golf or otherwise.

If you're in the market for this jacket, check it out on the Golfsmith website. Add it to the cart and you'll get 50% off, making the price $43.48. Looks like limited sizes though...

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30037600/adidas-men-s-climaproof-storm-softshell-jacket

[quote name='Tand' timestamp='1323971215' post='3943673']
Can you wear it as a windbreaker? Read that it's extremely breathable. 20.000mm like goretex.

Or only wearable as a rain jacket?
[/quote]

It's 10,000mm waterproof with breathable rating of 20,000 g/m²/24, so very good in the rain while making an excellent windbreaker, but probably not the best gale force windbreaker.

GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

[quote name='Tand' timestamp='1324021215' post='3947199']
Yeah bought it in xxl. Lets hope it Will fit me. I wear American xxl.
Along with THE Zr. Goretex traveller pants for just 25$
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the purchase. I wear a medium in almost everything and the medium fit me perfectly. I wouldn't say tight, rather form-fitting but still very comfortable and doesn't restrrict your swing at all. If anything, I dislike baggy or loose jackets when I play.

[quote name='marrigo' timestamp='1324214931' post='3955725']
[quote name='Tand' timestamp='1323971215' post='3943673']
Can you wear it as a windbreaker? Read that it's extremely breathable. 20.000mm like goretex.

Or only wearable as a rain jacket?
[/quote]

It's 10,000mm waterproof with breathable rating of 20,000 g/m²/24, so very good in the rain while making an excellent windbreaker, but probably not the best gale force windbreaker.
[/quote]

Here's a good article that I read on Backcountry about wind resistance and breathability. As per below, golf jackets don't provide their air permeability numbers, as far as I know, so I guess we won't truly know. But rightfully or not, I base it on a manufacturer's reputation in making quality gear but also backing it up with a superior warranty, which Adidas certainly does have. And their Climaproof Storm line carries a 3 year warranty.

BREATHABILITY VS WINDPROOFING – MEASURING IT UP

Outerwear manufacturers gratuitously toss around the terms "windproof," "wind-resistant," and "breathable." And yes, every garment registers somewhere between zero and awesome on the wind-resistance and breathability scales. But it can be hard to pin manufacturers down on an actual number rating. And usually when you do see a rating, all you can guess is that higher numbers are better, because, to us Americans, bigger is better (duh).

We'd like to shed a little light on this whole ratings thing and how manufacturers come up with those numbers—and what those numbers actually reflect in terms of your comfort.

First, breathability and air permeability (a.k.a. wind resistance) are not the same thing. Breathability represents how much perspiration vapor can escape through a fabric from the inside out, whereas air permeability measures how easily the breeze passes from the outside in. Since these are two totally different properties, it's possible for a garment to be very air permeable but not very breathable—air could pass right through, while sweat could still bead up inside, giving you a wicked case of the clammies. And the opposite is also possible—for example, a WINDSTOPPER® jacketblocks wind completely (zero air permeability) but will still let perspiration vapor pass through at a decent rate.

BREATHING = SWEAT-THROUGH RATE, WHATEVER THAT MEANS

There's no standardized test to measure breathability, and one wonders if most manufacturers just use whatever number makes their products look the best. There are two basic tests to measure breathability: MVTR (Moisture Vapor Transfer Rate) tests and Sweating Hot Plate tests. MVTR tests are good for comparing one fabric against another in a controlled laboratory environment. The more complex Sweating Hot Plate test is performed in only a few labs (including GORE-TEX®); its results indicate moisture vapor transfer regardless of climactic conditions.

Breathability is usually indicated in terms of g/m2/24h—i.e., how many grams of moisture can pass through a square meter of fabric in a 24 hour period. Since different manufacturers test their fabrics' breathability differently, these ratings aren't of much use unless you're comparing fabrics within one brand. If a Marmot rain jacket says it rates at 20,000 g/m2/24h and a The North Face rain jacket breathes at 625 g/m2/24h, the Marmot jacket isn't necessarily 32 times as breathable as The North Face one. They could've used totally different tests in totally different lab conditions—so you have to take these numbers with a grain heap of salt.

However, you can compare Marmot jackets to Marmot jackets and The North Face jackets to The North Face jackets, since they probably use the same tests for each of their fabrics. And many different brands use fabrics produced by manufacturers like GORE-TEX®, Schoeller®, or Polartec®, which lends some cross-brand consistency to the playing field.

AIR PERMEABILITY: FEEL THE WIND, OR NOT—YOUR CHOICE

Fortunately, there is an internationally standardized scientific test for air permeability, so if a manufacturer provides a number, you can know across the board what that rating means. Air permeability is rated in CFMs—cubic feet of wind that can pass through a fabric in a minute. Carl Moriarty, Arc'teryx designer, says that "Generally, if a garment lets less than 40-60CFM through, you're not going to feel the breeze. In a really stiff wind [read: typhoon-ish], you may need a jacket that lets less than 5 or 10 CFM through to be impervious."

A typical fluffy fleece with no special wind-blocking properties, like a 200-weight Polartec®, will let about 200CFM of wind through. By comparison, a more softshell-y Polartec® Powershield fabric will only let around 4-5CFM through. A The North Face WindWall jacket rates around 20CFM, and WINDSTOPPER® softshells rate 2CFM. Many manufacturers supply this information if you dig around for it, but not all of them do, which can cause the consumer a bit of head-scratching when trying to interpret what a "wind-resistant" jacket will really feel like.

It's tempting to think air permeability ratings are like golf scores—fewer CFMs are better, right? Only if you really do want to conserve as much heat as possible by blocking the wind altogether. However, maybe you want to block most of the high-alpine gale, but you know you'll get hot hiking uphill and you'd like to let a bit of cool air blow into your jacket to make things more comfortable. In such a situation, you'd want to lean toward something that is "wind-resistant" rather than something in the single-digit CFMs.

THE BOTTOM LINE

… On breathability? More is better for high-exertion activities—it's never ideal to have a sweat lodge inside your jacket. And for low-perspiration activities like belaying your climbing partner on a cold day, you could compromise breathability for a big ol' puffy jacket. But only compare within a particular brand or within a particular fabric. Going cross-brand/fabric will be irrelevant.

… And when it comes to air permeability, it also depends on the activity. Letting a small dose of wind into your jacket sounds really nice when you're skinning up 3,000 feet to earn some ski turns. But if the day's activities call for total windblocking, shoot for something rated closer to 0CFM for optimal contentment.

• 2 months later...

Anyone else comment on this?

Thanks to that link provided earlier I picked one of these up from 6pm.com for $45 for my golf trip this weekend to Myrtle Beach. I too normally wear XXL but hope it isn't too tight. Being a large dude, I hate too snuf a fit. No worries if it doesn't hang off of me, but just no spandex like stuff.

I would love to hear more thoughts.

Thanks.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS