Help Me Decide On A Titleist Combo Set!

Hey WRXers, I'm too deep down a rabbit hole and need some help finding daylight. Going to be ordering a new iron set soon and set on T-series irons from Titleist but can't commit to the bottom 2/3 of the set so need some outside help.

Background: Coming from a combo set of Srixon Z-Forged (5-P) & Z785 (4i) in Modus 120X. Keeping the same shafts, they've worked for me for a long time though multiple fittings and I'm just too used to the feel so that's an easy decision. 1 Index with a higher swing speed (93-95mph with 7i) but also am a high spin/launch player (tendency not to lean the shaft as well as I should through impact/ah who am I kidding, I'm a bit of a flipper). Looking to eek out maybe a touch more ball speed and maybe drop spin a bit with the new set but also I'm trying to stretch out the gaps on the top end a bit now that I'm playing a Driver/Mini Driver combo and have started carrying a hybrid instead of a 3i.

So, I'm getting 4-PW and it's going to be 4º gaps running from 21º down to 45º. The 4i I'm set on, going to go with a T200 with a Tour AD 95X and standard loft. Want the extra ball speed and need to stretch this club out a few yards to gap with the 2H. 5i I'm also set on the T150 at standard loft (25º). Now the million dollar question is for the 6i-PW do I keep the T150 through the rest of the set and have these bent 1º weak? Or do I go with T100 and bend them 1º strong? Do I go even further and do T150 in 6/7 to get the rest of the ones with the "Muscle Channel" and then do 8/9/PW in the T100?

Things weighing on my constantly flip-flopping decision are:

Looks/feel: I know the T150 are a little bigger, but honestly it's not like the Z-Forged are the smallest looking MB out there so not sure that's a huge issue. The wider sole maybe worries me more than overall size, I'm a big fan of the Z-sole on the Srixons and wonder if the slightly thinner T100 will be more similar cutting through the turf

Bounce/Offset: Obviously these are going to change depending on whether I'm bending weak/strong. Is it even enough to notice? I figure probably a bit on the bounce but maybe not on the offset.

Actual other differences in the heads: I can't tell what the true differences really are when you compare loft-for-loft on these heads. It would seem to me the only real differences are the small increase in size in the 150s and the "Muscle Channel" on 7i & down so does that mean 8/9/P at the same loft are more or less identical? And on the 6/7 what's the magnitude of the difference? On paper I'd expect slightly higher launch and slightly lower spin on the T150, does that make sense?

Anyway, that's enough rambling and I'm sure the ultimate answer is that they're going to be so close that the differences may not even matter, but here I am in full analysis paralysis and itching to actually go spend the money.

Driver: Taylormade SIM 8º  Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

Wood: Taylormade BRNR Mini 11.5º Accra TZ5 75 M5

2H: New Level NLH 17º HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

4i: Srixon Z785 Nippon Modus 120X (1º weak)

5i-PW: Srixon Z-Forged Modus 120X

50º/54º/60º: Cleveland RTX 6 (Mid Bounce 50/54, Low Bounce 60) Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. Mezz.1

16 minutes ago, tsecor said:

call the titleist help desk and they will walk you through everything.....WRXers will give you 1000 different answers and you will be left with more paralysis and no clubs

Honestly never even knew this was an option, I'll definitely look into it!

2 minutes ago, tsecor said:

the team at titleist are top notch...you can even go on the website and proceed to the irons page and open up a live chat with a representative...

Is there a separate number for the help desk or is it their customer service number?

I'd suggest paying the $100 for a Titleist fitting as they credit that back to you if you purchase clubs that day. 

I was in almost the exact same position recently - I was coming from Epon AF 302 (basically ZX7s imo) - and had decided I wanted to try out the Titleist T Series.  I was pretty sure I wanted a combo set, however I was fit into T100 6 - P, and a TSR2 Hybrid 5.  My ss was 95 - 96 with the 7i at the fitting.

The three things that surprised me were:

I couldn't tell the difference visually between the T100 and T150 7i at address.  Maybe I'm blind, but any difference was negligible to my eye

The T150 and T200 were WAY clickier than the T100 - which was also not nearly as soft as the Epon 302.  It can also have a weird hollow ting some of the time.  I didn't notice it at the fitting, but notice it indoors for sure.

The shaft selection was limited in X flex.  They didn't have Modus 125 or 130x, TI X100, AD-DI 105X, Ventus TR Blue / Red, etc.

The lack of X flex stuff left me a little unhappy with the fitting tbh.  It made me question the validity of the fit.  Was I fit into Project X LS 6.5 because they were actually the best for me - OR - because they were the best of the limited selection? 

In any case - it's only $100 and if you don't love the fit - you can always put that towards a new wedge and decide on the irons later.

• Like 1

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Played both t100 and t100s/t150 a lot.  I would be shocked if you can tell any difference in the size and stuff even if you hit 100 balls with them side by side.  The only difference loft-for-loft and shaft length is the number stamped on the bottom, IMO - distance, spin, turf interaction and everything else.  They both spin fine for what they are and you can work the ball a little up/down/side-to-side.

For me, all of the babbling about the difference are from people who never played them... and maybe some technical stuff from a R&D rep.  To boil it all down, the t150 is for people who compare the numbers on the irons to distance and ball speed and not the lofts and stuff - ego things.

As for the bending, do you want more or less bounce?  *I see that you mentioned this*  Do you dig or sweep?

I played them both in Px 6.0/6.5, Modus 120 and eventually just put x100 in them - still the best iron shaft of all time, IMO.  The weight cannot be beaten for me.  They are not heavy, but they can feel heavy on the end of a lighter shaft.  If you are the kind who can tell a difference in D2 swing weight clubs by feel, then I would try some - nearly any Titleist shop should have some without the fitting contraption where you can test shaft weight with the heads.

• Like 1

if you're gonna shell out the money for a set of titleist clubs then i would pay a little more to get fitted and get the right numbers. i too was dead set on a t200 4i with gd ad-di shaft, but when i did my fitting the ball speed numbers just werent there with the t200, and distances were crowding the t100 5i. it wasnt my first option but i got fitted into a u505 4i, 1deg weak and the gapping is perfect and this thing is so damn easy to hit. i also wasn't expecting to go with the vokey PW either but it's worked out great. i guess im just saying keep your options open.

Titleist TSR3 10* Tensei 1k Black 7x 44.5"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* Tensei 1k Black 7x 42.5"

Cobra F6 Baffler 19.5* Diamana Blueboard 8x 41.25"

Titleist U505 4i Tensei 1k Black 8x

Titleist T100 5i-9i Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 46F/50F/54F/60M Project x 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

Definitely check with titleist and get fit if possible….that said let’s have some fun answering your question! 

As a 1 cap, coming from blades, you can clearly strike the ball well. Why not go with the 4 iron T200 bent weak 2 degrees, then run 5-pw in CB’s? Seems you have the ball striking for them. They’ll also have thinner soles, and a form factor that you’ll be familiar with. Also, the faces being a bit less hot, should reduce the wild fliers you can get from time to time with the more “forgiving” irons. 

Additionally, (and this is controversial for some) hollow body irons may be more forgiving from a ball speed retention perspective but dispersion wise are less forgiving. That’s been my experience anyway. I am a little faster than average (93-96 7i) so maybe that contributes? 

just another perspective to consider…

My .02

I had the previous t100s irons. I went for a shaft fitting three weeks ago. A different shaft was needed and I decided to get new heads as well. I went with t100 in 5-pw and t200 in 4 iron. I've lost no distance going from the "s" to the regular and notice nothing in forgiveness loss. 

I say this because you may not have to worry about where to split a set. Get all one club. Is you need to bend them 1° strong. You won't really notice offset or bounce difference at 1°.  Just a thought. 

14 hours ago, poor_putting said:

Definitely check with titleist and get fit if possible….that said let’s have some fun answering your question! 

As a 1 cap, coming from blades, you can clearly strike the ball well. Why not go with the 4 iron T200 bent weak 2 degrees, then run 5-pw in CB’s? Seems you have the ball striking for them. They’ll also have thinner soles, and a form factor that you’ll be familiar with. Also, the faces being a bit less hot, should reduce the wild fliers you can get from time to time with the more “forgiving” irons. 

Additionally, (and this is controversial for some) hollow body irons may be more forgiving from a ball speed retention perspective but dispersion wise are less forgiving. That’s been my experience anyway. I am a little faster than average (93-96 7i) so maybe that contributes? 

just another perspective to consider…

I'm set on the lofts, right now I game a mini driver in addition to my regular driver because it suits a few holes on my home course (runouts with driver and a couple holes I need to be able to shape a draw and I fade my regular driver). That means that I've got a bigger gap to the rest of the bag and fewer clubs I feel comfortable with for that longer 2nd shot into some par 5s. To combat that I've dropped my 3i for a stronger hybrid that carries 235-240 but now I've got a bigger gap between that and my Z785 4i (that's built 1º weak) which is really around 210 carry. I want to go a couple degrees stronger in the 4i and hopefully gain an mph or two of swing speed and squeeze it to 220 if I can which should give me 15 yard gaps at the top end and space things out a little better.

I'm not against the CBs per se, but I feel like there's really no advantage to them over the T100 and I'll squeeze a little extra ball speed or forgiveness if I can in basically the same shape head. There must be a reason they're the most popular iron in Titleist's pro lineup and that they skipped a cycle on the CB/MB line after the 620. Wouldn't surprise me if they phase out the CB entirely going forward. I'm not really worried about the fliers in a T100, in fact I'd welcome a slight drop in spin overall.

As far as the hollow bodies goes for the T200, I totally get that. I've got a P790 3i that I'll put in the bag sometimes and it's not my favorite, but I'm less concerned for just the 1 club where I really want it to squeeze out a touch more distance and if it does that I'm fine giving up a little dispersion on the "hot shots". Appreciate the feedback though

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mizuno player said:

My .02

I had the previous t100s irons. I went for a shaft fitting three weeks ago. A different shaft was needed and I decided to get new heads as well. I went with t100 in 5-pw and t200 in 4 iron. I've lost no distance going from the "s" to the regular and notice nothing in forgiveness loss. 

I say this because you may not have to worry about where to split a set. Get all one club. Is you need to bend them 1° strong. You won't really notice offset or bounce difference at 1°.  Just a thought. 

Yeah, I think I'm settled now on the T100 6-PW + T150 5i + T200 4i. It's a little more finnicky with 3 heads, but I can order the 6-PW all in the same specs (-1º strong) and then the 4/5 will be stock. If I go with the straight T150 or do the 5i in T100 I'd have to request different loft changes in some of the heads and I'm not super confident that will be done correctly, not that I couldn't have them checked and adjusted after the fact (which I will likely do anyway with a local builder).

Don't get rid of your blades for a while.  Made a Sunday bag and got out some older Titleist 660s.  Forgot how good they were.  The t100 do not hit any shot as well as the blades save for a toe strike.  I have been playing the blades again for fun and might keep them in for the year.  At a minimum, I might keep the 8-PW in the blades since they are more versatile and better out of the rough.

t100 is about 4 steps removed from blades and you might not care for how they perform on hard/fast greens, out of the rough, workability (if you do that), etc.  

You can always get rid of the blades later.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jda said:

Don't get rid of your blades for a while.  Made a Sunday bag and got out some older Titleist 660s.  Forgot how good they were.  The t100 do not hit any shot as well as the blades save for a toe strike.  I have been playing the blades again for fun and might keep them in for the year.  At a minimum, I might keep the 8-PW in the blades since they are more versatile and better out of the rough.

t100 is about 4 steps removed from blades and you might not care for how they perform on hard/fast greens, out of the rough, workability (if you do that), etc.  

You can always get rid of the blades later.

No, they're definitely staying in the backup bag. I already false-started once a couple years ago with another set I thought I'd love and went back to the Srixons after a month.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If the srixon sole works for you outdoors off turf go with those and you don’t need the extra launch and spin the t series provides (they are generally the high spinning iron in the category most for loft) then go with the srixons.  Feel like a forged club and are a little more versatile in my opinion.

i think you will find on the course the t100 and 150 spin a lot (like 500+ revs per club) more than the srixon (usually the lowest spin players iron). If you are already high launch and spin with a little flip you’re going to lose a little carry with no wind and a lot with some headwind.

Edited by Pnwpingi210

13 minutes ago, greenwavegolfer said:

No, they're definitely staying in the backup bag. I already false-started once a couple years ago with another set I thought I'd love and went back to the Srixons after a month.

I wish that I would not have waited years to game the blades again.  My game might be different.  Schedule a round with the blades a few months after you get the t100 set just to compare and contrast.  I guess that I was just numb with the recency bias of what I was gaming and forgot what I once knew.

5 hours ago, greenwavegolfer said:

Yeah, I think I'm settled now on the T100 6-PW + T150 5i + T200 4i. It's a little more finnicky with 3 heads, but I can order the 6-PW all in the same specs (-1º strong) and then the 4/5 will be stock. If I go with the straight T150 or do the 5i in T100 I'd have to request different loft changes in some of the heads and I'm not super confident that will be done correctly, not that I couldn't have them checked and adjusted after the fact (which I will likely do anyway with a local builder).

I went t100 5/PW. 200 4 iron.